Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

cms88 wrote: »
    For someone who's ''not a great football supporter'' you sure do know a lot about the championship

Probably as much as anyone else.

How many experts were predicting a Mayo win for instance? Eh ?

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Alot of concentration on the Donaghy/O'Shea incident here on boards.ie but I've just been reading the analysis of the match in the Sunday Indo and there's barely a mention of Donaghy's spectacular punch. I'm wondering if that is a lack of desire from the football pundits to discredit Donaghy or is it Aidan O' Shea they are actually protecting ie Donaghy got this punishment on the day but if the incident is highlighted too much, AoS could be in trouble ???

If it happened early in the game, and it affected the outcome, or was off the ball and not seen, or Kerry won and Donaghy's inclusion in the final was in doubt, it would generate far more focus.

It was irrelevant in terms of the outcome, it was seen and rightly punished, it has no bearing on the final...not much more to analyse. Despite the "think of the children" efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

If it happened early in the game, and it affected the outcome, or was off the ball and not seen, or Kerry won and Donaghy's inclusion in the final was in doubt, it would generate far more focus.

It was irrelevant in terms of the outcome, it was seen and rightly punished, it has no bearing on the final...not much more to analyse. Despite the "think of the children" efforts.

Indeed. So therefore maybe people on here should let it go and move on to more relevant stuff.

Bad day for Kerry. Got it all wrong.
    Well done to Mayo. Give it socks now. Win the next day and I'm sure the whole country, including Kerry, including KD will rejoice with you and not out of pity for poor old Mayo but out of major respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Missing the point. Donaghy has always been a bad example to youngsters. Not important whether they hug and kiss after the game; it's what goes on on the pitch that the public see. Looks awful. Wouldn't be tolerated in rugby.

What an utterly pompous comment! Footballers aren't altar boys,they're human beings and like all human beings they often do stupid things that they shouldn't do in the heat of a moment. And actually it's no harm for kids to see that, to see real life instead of a sanitised version.

And you're as incorrect as you're holier than thou! Donaghy is as valued by parents in Kerry as he is with the wider public. A great ambassador for both football and basketball, a devoted dad and an all round decent guy.

You'd want to get over yourself!

Think you have been lucky to lose yesterday, this Dublin team looks unbeatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Mayo will give dublin much more of a game. Tyrone are not a top team. They have been vastly overhyped by the media after only beating very poor opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Don't bring yerra to the House of Yerra!

Don't bring yerra to the House of Yerra!

Lol Seriously, i think it could be the young kerry players in two or three years time that will be the next team to beat Dublin in the championship. The Dublin talent coming through is enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

kerryjack wrote: »
    I expect kerry to win today I think there is a lot of pressure on fitz this year with the talent at his disposal we are still very dependent on the older guys I have been beating this drum for a while we have to bring Clifford in as soon as his electable ang give him game time and get him up those steps in the hogan stand I get the feeling if we can win sam soon the flood gates might open for us and we could become kings again, We should win this one today because Kerry don't loose replays and Mayo don't win them so its a kerry win for me by about 5

At least you got the winning margin right.

Feck it go out and beat them will ye! Just beat them it can be done! I sincerely hope that none of the Mayo team are feeling the fear that you obviously feel. This aura around exceptional teams,this sense of invincibility,is worth a few points alone, which is often the winning margin.

Ye got over yer fear of Kerry,granted our present team wouldn't inspire much fear but there was a hoodoo and ye got over it. Now do the same with the dubs! They're great but they're not unbeatable. No team is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'll be cheering Dublin anyway. It's great to see the Mayo fans giving out every year after all the hope they have during the summer. Their team played great yesterday, absolutely destroyed Kerry and got the rub of the green with ref decisions and the fans are still giving out. Can't keep em happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

acequion wrote:
    What an utterly pompous comment! Footballers aren't altar boys,they're human beings and like all human beings they often do stupid things that they shouldn't do in the heat of a moment. And actually it's no harm for kids to see that, to see real life instead of a sanitised version.

acequion wrote:
    And you're as incorrect as you're holier than thou! Donaghy is as valued by parents in Kerry as he is with the wider public. A great ambassador for both football and basketball, a devoted dad and an all round decent guy.

acequion wrote:
    You'd want to get over yourself!

I respectfully disagree. I'm not picking on Donaghy per se, just the culture that allows his carry on to be tolerated. You could pick players from any of the other semi finalists who are equally as culpable. On the other hand you could look at someone like Bernard Brogan, arguably a more dangerous player at his best than Donaghy, and someone who was marked as tightly, yet I don't recall him getting involved in silly carry on. It's called self control and letting his play do the talking. The GAA need to hit these guys hard with penalties for their indiscretions and that would soon eradicate it. Look at the ban Ronaldo got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'll be cheering Dublin anyway. It's great to see the Mayo fans giving out every year after all the hope they have during the summer. Their team played great yesterday, absolutely destroyed Kerry and got the rub of the green with ref decisions and the fans are still giving out. Can't keep em happy.

Nice assessment of the game yesterday. Think Mayo were really lucky to beat Kerry in fairness :rolleyes:

On the other hand you could look at someone like Bernard Brogan, arguably a more dangerous player at his best than Donaghy, and someone who was marked as tightly, yet I don't recall him getting involved in silly carry on. It's called self control and letting his play do the talking. The GAA need to hit these guys hard with penalties for their indiscretions and that would soon eradicate it. Look at the ban Ronaldo got.

You could also do the exact opposite. Take one hard player from the Dublin side, say obviously Connolly, and compare him to a good player in the Kerry set up who doesn't get involved in the physical stuff. Every county has one or two hard players who will be first in when the trouble breaks out. I think the game is being stifled by tactics, dragging etc. far more than saying punching is endemic and needs to be sorted. The ref saw it, took the appropriate action, it's the end of the matter.

Incidentally...what was the Ronaldo punch?

You could also do the exact opposite. Take one hard player from the Dublin side, say obviously Connolly, and compare him to a good player in the Kerry set up who doesn't get involved in the physical stuff. Every county has one or two hard players who will be first in when the trouble breaks out. I think the game is being stifled by tactics, dragging etc. far more than saying punching is endemic and needs to be sorted. The ref saw it, took the appropriate action, it's the end of the matter.

Incidentally...what was the Ronaldo punch?

Ronaldo pushed a referee. Not a player and it wasn't a punch. He got a 5 match ban and rightly so. Can't touch an official ;)

Amprodude wrote: »
    Nice assessment of the game yesterday. Think Mayo were really lucky to beat Kerry in fairness :rolleyes:

Do you? I think Mayo were much better tbh

Ronaldo pushed a referee. Not a player and it wasn't a punch. He got a 5 match ban and rightly so. Can't touch an official ;)

Bloody hell. That's nothing. Didn't Paul Galvin get 6 months for putting a hand on an official. And Connolly got 12 weeks.

Bloody hell. That's nothing. Didn't Paul Galvin get 6 months for putting a hand on an official. And Connolly got 12 weeks.

Different sports. The same indiscretion in a rugby game may have got a 12 month ban. It's the reason I can never understand comparing sports like for like because it's not

Different sports. The same indiscretion in a rugby game may have got a 12 month ban. It's the reason I can never understand comparing sports like for like because it's not

Oh fully agree. But when a poster says "look at other sports where an example is made"...and it turns out to be far more lenient than suspensions handed down by the GAA, it's worth pointing out that it was a particularly lame analogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Kerry need a new full back line and half forward line to be truly competitive again I think.

Too many players in both lines where the jury is out on them. I don't like naming names but you know who they are.

Good honest players who give their all but not good enough for the elite level unfortunately.

I'd imagine we'll be seeing David Clifford next year, training with the team, sub appearances here and there.

He's able to tap over '45s which we need. Moran has a poor success​ rate at '45s.

I think we need to focus on pace also at all levels, we seem lacking in this area.
    Perhaps provide a speed/running coach to the development squads at all ages.

As regards the game, the sweeper clearly didn't work.
    Also we went for goals too early, players tried to do too much themselves also.
    We should have played like a team, getting good kickers into scoring positions and keep the scoreboard ticking over.
    Buckley has beautiful long range kicking but we never seemed to get him into a good position.

All in all the future is bright.
    Best crop of minors and center of excellence coming at same time looks like destiny.

Sam will come home again soon.

It would be nice for Eamon Fitz to finish with an AI.
    He has his firstborn now, so it might motivate him to resign.

I think going forward the experienced spine will be Murphy, Crowley, Morley, Moran, Barry, Kevin Mac, Buckley, JOD, P Geaney.
    The jury is out on the others unfortunately

• Advertisement

I respectfully disagree. I'm not picking on Donaghy per se, just the culture that allows his carry on to be tolerated. You could pick players from any of the other semi finalists who are equally as culpable. On the other hand you could look at someone like Bernard Brogan, arguably a more dangerous player at his best than Donaghy, and someone who was marked as tightly, yet I don't recall him getting involved in silly carry on. It's called self control and letting his play do the talking. The GAA need to hit these guys hard with penalties for their indiscretions and that would soon eradicate it. Look at the ban Ronaldo got.

And I respectfully disagree with you.

As for Ronaldo, how can you seriously compare a professional superstar who earns a fortune playing his sport to a GAA player who does it for free? And you might say that that's irrelevant but I would disagree there too as you would would expect more self control from the highly paid professional. But these guys too are also human and prone to silly mistakes.

But anyway Donoghy was rightly red carded for his misdemeanour so enough about it, I would think.

I wouldn't be too sentimental about Fitzmaurice. I think he should step down now. He's been a good servant to Kerry and the 2014 AI and 2017 League were big successes [I'd actually discount the Munster titles, no challenges there since 2015] But the last three years have ended in very disappointing failures on the big stage.

Time for a change!

I'd imagine we'll be seeing David Clifford next year, training with the team, sub appearances here and there.

Would be wary about introducing him too soon and heaping the whole pressure of "next best thing" on him. It looks like he has it all, but it's such a huge jump from minor to senior, bypassing u21s...I'd be more for very careful cultivation. Maybe we should focus on seeing if the likes of Killian Spillane and others who passed through minors in previous years can cut it, bringing in Gavin Crowley and Sean O'Shea (albeit he's still on the young side too)...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

My last word on the matter: I didn't say punching was endemic. You rarely see a punch being thrown these days, the players know they will be off straight away. It's all the niggling, pushing, off the ball checking, dragging as you say yourself. All that nonsense. It looks terrible and needs to be stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Con O'Callaghan is probably going to end up footballer of the year this season and we're worrying that the likes of Clifford and Seanie Shea might not be ready to play a few league games.

Not sure when this idea that giving a guy a taste of senior action could wreck him for life started tbh.

My last word on the matter: I didn't say punching was endemic. You rarely see a punch being thrown these days, the players know they will be off straight away. It's all the niggling, pushing, off the ball checking, dragging as you say yourself. All that nonsense. It looks terrible and needs to be stamped out.

No one disagrees with that. It possibly reflects just how fast and athletic the game has become...like soccer. In the 70s and 80s, players strolled around, no huge pressure was applied, Kerry looked like Brazil. You took your place, rarely moved far from it, and relied on individual ability to work the ball forward. The likes of Dooher, Galvin etc. changed everything. Players and tactics became more workmanlike, forwards started running back and striding up the field, the game plan changed to stopping that, third man tackles, dragging etc.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Con O'Callaghan is probably going to end up footballer of the year this season and we're worrying that the likes of Clifford and Seanie Shea might not be ready to play a few league games.

Not sure when this idea that giving a guy a taste of senior action could wreck him for life started tbh.

Well true, there is a good argument to say if they're good enough, stick them in. It's not so much that I'm saying Clifford isn't, more that there's surely a raft of players coming off recent underage success that should be tried first.

Would be wary about introducing him too soon and heaping the whole pressure of "next best thing" on him. It looks like he has it all, but it's such a huge jump from minor to senior, bypassing u21s...I'd be more for very careful cultivation. Maybe we should focus on seeing if the likes of Killian Spillane and others who passed through minors in previous years can cut it, bringing in Gavin Crowley and Sean O'Shea (albeit he's still on the young side too)...

I agree but also he needs to be challenged to develop also.
    He turns 19 next June AFAIK.
    I guess see how he does in training and few sub appearances in League.
    Jack McCaffrey got an all star at 19, Gooch also I believe.
    It might also help to keep him in Ireland.
    One advantage he has is college in Tralee, less travelling helps with preventing burnout.

To me he looks like a future full forward at senior level.

I agree but also he needs to be challenged to develop also.
    He turns 19 next June AFAIK.
    I guess see how he does in training and few sub appearances in League.
    Jack McCaffrey got an all star at 19, Gooch also I believe.
    It might also help to keep him in Ireland.
    One advantage he has is college in Tralee, less travelling helps with preventing burnout.

To me he looks like a future full forward at senior level.

He wasn't challenged at minor level.

Eoin Liston said he thinks he'll stay home.

To me he doesn't seem aggressive enough for Aussie Rules I could be wrong.
    It's hard to know because his movement is so good, he avoids contact.

Kennelly, Walsh, Kilkenny seem like aggressive types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Tomas O Se justifying Donaghey red was nothing saying aidan o ae was stamping on his foot and giving out about the ref. Poor call by him the green and gold tainted glasses on Tomas there. Kerry I thought were very scrappy at the start of the game trying to rough up the Mayo boys. Unfortunately for them Mayo the class team that they are had other ideas. They were more than 5 points a better team than Kerry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement