Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Stoner wrote: »
    It's true, he hates Kerry football, I've read his posts about it. Shocking stuff.
    I'm different though, I'm your Dub BFF I've only eaten coddle once and it was manky.

I dont understand the need for semi offended sarcasm here!

It doesnt bother me that he hates Kerry to be honest- I was just stating that his reason s for weighing in on the topic were to stir it up.

I have plenty of Dublin friends, including my other half, but if you work really hard then you'll make the top 10.

danganabu wrote: »
    Empowered to make that decision?? Isn't that the problem sure, and who empowered him? The county board that was elected by the clubs I assume. And what was the rush with the U21, there is no provincial or National competition, why not simply postpone it or alternatively run it off earlier in the year.

Your paranoia as opposed to Bonnie's correct observation would then be the problem. Don't shoot the messenger and all that!

Paranoia? Haha jeez mate you're being a tad dramatic here for godsake!

The under 21 championship has been poorly treated in Kerry for years and I'd imagine when making the fixtures that they didnt envisage this issue arising. I agree that it was poor planning

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looking forward to the inter county sideshow ****e to be over so we can get back to talking about the Rock being relegated.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the inter county sideshow ****e to be over so we can get back to talking about the Rock being relegated.

Agreed- I can go back to hating Donaghy again.

It makes me feel dirty to be defending him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's true, he hates Kerry football, I've read his posts about it. Shocking stuff.
    I'm different though, I'm your Dub BFF I've only eaten coddle once and it was manky.

Just use the block button. Dont feed the trolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hon Spa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You'll need a bigger spoon to stir this sh*t

Good jesus man. I thought we put the knives down this year?

Not a hope of me coming in here to stir sh1t. Especially over something like this. There's way more in the arsenal tbf.

Would you honestly not think that if a coach did that to you that you wouldn't think it was a pile of crap. I'd be fuming.

danganabu wrote: »
    So you dont agree that a guy being denied the opportunity to play with his club in a county final so he could warm the bench for the county is shocking carry-on?? Or are you just having ago at the poster because he's a Dub?
    Cheers lad.

It's mostly​ column B.

But also POG obviously forgot the BonnieSituation v Kerry Armistice is still ongoing while we're in the championship​. Normal service can resume on Sept 18.

Well I agree that its not ideal- however if he is empowered to make that deicsion then its his perogative.

On Bonnie- i find him entertaining but he is regularly expressed his hatred of all things Kerry GAA so when he comes on and expresses how aghast he is at something going on in Kerry GAA then I, for good reason, presume it to be sh*t stirring.

In fairness, I have never come here and done that. 100% of my (few) posts in here have been fairly benign. And usually looking for insight into something.

In the general thread though... All bets are off.

Also, if it happened in Tyrone or Donegal it would ellicit the same reaction.

*Prints screen*

You're on thin ice already.

• Advertisement

I dont understand the need for semi offended sarcasm here!

It doesnt bother me that he hates Kerry to be honest- I was just stating that his reason s for weighing in on the topic were to stir it up.

I have plenty of Dublin friends, including my other half, but if you work really hard then you'll make the top 10.
    Stoner doesn't do sarcasm.

Take it as read that if i ever post in here it's a serious question or statement.

I mean imagine coming into a place full of Kerry people and stirring crap? Silly.

I asked a question earlier and CMC answered it with good grace.

---

You'd be best placed over in the championship thread now refuting Rightwing's jabber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You're a mod FFS.

And a Dub.

Allegedly.

You'd want to bloody well cop onto yourself mate ! :mad:

(Gosh, that sounds aggressive. Blame the AI final nerves. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Was just reading an article by Con Houlihan published after the All Ireland win against Cork in 2009 - an excellent writer, and nice to read about better times for the kingdom. The team in 2009 really was so much better than our current crop. You'd struggle to pick (m)any from this crop to play in that team from 2009. Anyway, I've attached a photo of the article if anyone else would like a bit of escapism :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

While Fitzmaurice inherited a team at the end of its lifespan his insistence at not looking at the long-term has come back to haunt him. In 2013/14 he bought Crowley, Murphy and the Geaney's into the team since then it was zilch until Morley last year. His allowing of older player's to warm a seat for 2-3 years before retiring has really weakened team selection. There seems to be a perception that you need to be 23ish to play inter county championship. His allowing of older forwards to hold position on the bench has left us bereft of hacksaw we discovered over the last two weekends.

The other issue is the practice of having extended panels and not allowing younger players to play for there clubs. Where will this end at 50-60 players siting around all summer long playing no football until late September/October. Players need to play games if they are not needed for the first 20 they should play for there clubs not be held in limbo.

The club issue I would agree with but I dont think hes the only one stopping players lining out for the club or trying to persuade them not to.

The other thing in this instance is that preaching about the club might be down to his detractors.

A recent manager in my own county got pillored for supposedly arranging an inter county match close to a round of club league games a few years ago. The people that shouted the loudest about the clubs being affected were those who just didn't like the man in charge and was just a stick to beat him with.

No doubt Fitzmaurice got it badly wrong on Saturday but there can be other motives at play here.

In fairness if a player did get injured playing with the club you would understand a managers frustration. Supporters would probably be asking why they played so close to a championship match.

Just out of interest has there been many Kerry senior club championship games played in late July/August since a certain club game in August 2002?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

A lot of county players were "injured" and didn't play for their respective sides in the county championship earlier rounds. An unusual amount of "injuries" if I recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Re: Fitzmaurice and the current direction of the county team. I remember seeing the team for the Munster Final and feeling disappointment that we weren't really making changes to a team that had come up short the previous few years.

I thought we'd reached a point where the team needed freshening up and an injection of pace was badly needed.

Not trying to cut fellas asunder but there are 7/8 of the current 15 who just aren't good enough, haven't been good enough and won't be good enough.

Fitzmaurice sticks with fellas for too long. Kealy had a number of brain freezes in Croke Park and now Kelly showed the same tendency. I personally wouldn't pick either again.

BJK summed up his Kerry career to date in the Mayo match. Kick a good point off the bench and then give away possession off a stupid quick free and give Mayo the chance to draw.

Enright has been caught out too often at Croke Park for me and has probably used up his lives. Young spent most of the replay kicking in ball with snow on it to Donaghy. Too easy to defend that.

And time has probably caught up with Donaghy, Darren, Sheehan, D. Walsh and maybe Maher.

Big changes needed and our running game is cat. Handpassing suicidal at times. We had one forward playing well in Geaney and it's just hard to see where we are going bar backwards.

I'd keep Murphy, Moran, Barry, Buckley, Geaney. Maybe use JoD as a sub. Try M. Griffin CHB and move on quickly if it's not working. Other than that all other places are to play for as far as I can see.

Edit- somebody mentioned the current crop v. the 2009 team or any of the teams from 2004-2009. The 09 team would kick the living sh1t out of the current team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Re: Fitzmaurice and the current direction of the county team. I remember seeing the team for the Munster Final and feeling disappointment that we weren't really making changes to a team that had come up short the previous few years.

I thought we'd reached a point where the team needed freshening up and an injection of pace was badly needed.

Not trying to cut fellas asunder but there are 7/8 of the current 15 who just aren't good enough, haven't been good enough and won't be good enough.

Fitzmaurice sticks with fellas for too long. Kealy had a number of brain freezes in Croke Park and now Kelly showed the same tendency. I personally wouldn't pick either again.

BJK summed up his Kerry career to date in the Mayo match. Kick a good point off the bench and then give away possession off a stupid quick free and give Mayo the chance to draw.

Enright has been caught out too often at Croke Park for me and has probably used up his lives. Young spent most of the replay kicking in ball with snow on it to Donaghy. Too easy to defend that.

And time has probably caught up with Donaghy, Darren, Sheehan, D. Walsh and maybe Maher.

Big changes needed and our running game is cat. Handpassing suicidal at times. We had one forward playing well in Geaney and it's just hard to see where we are going bar backwards.

I'd keep Murphy, Moran, Barry, Buckley, Geaney. Maybe use JoD as a sub. Try M. Griffin CHB and move on quickly if it's not working. Other than that all other places are to play for as far as I can see.

Edit- somebody mentioned the current crop v. the 2009 team or any of the teams from 2004-2009. The 09 team would kick the living sh1t out of the current team.

Our team is a pale shadow of the 2009 version, there are no stars in our current setup, maybe Paul Murphy and Paul Geaney would make the 04-09 team and possibly Moran, but none of them would be the star players by any stretch of the imagination. Fitzmaurice has done a remarkable job in recent times keeping us competitive and winning an All Ireland in 2014 and a league title in 2017, although he got things badly wrong last weekend by his own admission.

It's ok to say he sticks with fellas too long but what is he supposed to do? I have read several people here and on other forums say he needs to stick in the young players from the recent minor teams. We need to bear in mind that these guys made up our U21 team that got obliterated by a physically bigger Galway U21 side earlier in the year. How do we think they'd fare against Dublin or Mayo seniors? Say he throws in 4-5 of these guys next year and we get humiliated by one of the top teams, what then? Look at Donegal 2017 as an example of what can happen if you put too many young lads in at once.

The one thing I would have an issue with is our physical preparation. Mayo were streets ahead of us in the semi final and Dublin have been for years. We need to up our game here and that may mean some changes in the back room team.

Fitzmaurice might be as well off going at this stage for his own reputation if nothing else. We are in for some lean times and I think whoever manages the team over the next 3-4 years is on a hiding to nothing while new young players are introduced. No doubt Jack O'Connor will then sneak back in, piggyback on all this work and win an All Ireland in his first year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

I for one don't see people's obsession with playing Mark Criffin in the half back line. He's played most if not all his intercounty football at full back, why do people think he'll be any better as a half back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

cms88 wrote: »
    I for one don't see people's obsession with playing Mark Criffin in the half back line. He's played most if not all his intercounty football at full back, why do people think he'll be any better as a half back

Worth trying him there. Think he's good carrying ball forward but don't think he's a full back.

As regards trying a pile of youngsters. My point was that Fitzmaurice sticks too long with players and you end up where we are then with a bunch of underperforming players at the one time. Maybe the talent isn't there but it was obvious with 2/3 years, in certain cases, that certain players wouldnt be good enough.

Whoever is in the job next year will have to freshen it up. The Mayo match had a staleness to it.

Worth trying him there. Think he's good carrying ball forward but don't think he's a full back.

As regards trying a pile of youngsters. My point was that Fitzmaurice sticks too long with players and you end up where we are then with a bunch of underperforming players at the one time. Maybe the talent isn't there but it was obvious with 2/3 years, in certain cases, that certain players wouldnt be good enough.

Whoever is in the job next year will have to freshen it up. The Mayo match had a staleness to it.

I'd agree on Griffin he is a fine footballer but doesn't look a natural full back. He seems to have all the attributes to be a successful half back or midfielder, surely it is worth a try.

Crowley played a lot of football at full back in his earlier years and could be a better fit there than Griffin, although he does tend to give away a lot of frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mickeyk wrote: »
    We need to bear in mind that these guys made up our U21 team that got obliterated by a physically bigger Galway U21 side earlier in the year.

I just want to interject at this point as I can see a narrative forming around this U21 thing.

What happened in that U21 game is that we were way off the pace in the opening stages.

Galway implemented a full court press and our midfielders went hiding in the first few minutes. We lost every kick out and they raced out into a big lead quickly. Anyone could see after five minutes we needed to move Matthew O'Sullivan to midfield to catch a few balls and get us into the game. Unfortunately Jack as Jack always does waited for 10 minutes to make this change and we were already eight or nine points down.

Once we got a foothold - i.e. , from about 20 minutes on, we dominated in possession and on the scoreboard winning the remainder of the game by six points.

We were beaten by four points in a game where we saw guys acting the prick getting off the bus, the manager taking the bizarre step of questioning how tuned in his players were before the game and where we were ten points down after 20 minutes. We were also contending with some utterly mind-boggling selection issues also, for those looking for Jack back.

It was an extremely disappointing performance, but I think it is becoming more of an obliteration in the memory with each passing week. The starting midfield were physically smaller than their counterparts and whether because of that or for some other reason they went hiding. I don't remember anyone else being too slow or too small. Begley wasn't too small for senior Chamionship football last year and he was far from the biggest man on the team that day.

It wouldn't change my opinion on the merits of the likes of Ryan, Foley, Begley, Shea, Spillane etc in the slightest.

EDIT to say Rob Sé came on in the second half and was every bit as big and raw boned as the Galway midfielders and played well.

@keane that's a fair post and I would also be of the view that we need to get some of these guys in to the team asap, but some people have been banging that drum for years. I honestly think these guys were a bit too young until now. You can carry a couple of u21's like Dublin are doing at the moment, but not 5-6 as Donegal found out this year.

We have amazing talent at that level and I am really looking forward to seeing these guys make the step up. It was a pity the U21s were withdrawn in 2017 after the first few rounds of the league as some of them were going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mickeyk wrote: »
    I'd agree on Griffin he is a fine footballer but doesn't look a natural full back. He seems to have all the attributes to be a successful half back or midfielder, surely it is worth a try.

Crowley played a lot of football at full back in his earlier years and could be a better fit there than Griffin, although he does tend to give away a lot of frees.

Cannot see MG being good enough at centerback or midfield. The obsession with the traditional type FB is from a bygone era unless teams have players like Donoghy in his prime. In modern football CB is the fulcrum of any team. He has to be a total footballer one of your best game readers, top class defender, physically strong, fast and a playmaker. IMO Crowley is the best CB we have. We lost the 2010 semi and 2011 final because we did not have a top class CB.

The 2009 team was not as good as people think 2006/7 was a more complete team with the O'Shea's at there prime as well Gouch, Donoghy and DOS and a few more. In 2009 Kennelly Micheal McCarthy filled a gap,Tommy Walsh fulfilled his potential for the once and only time. The following year without Walsh, Kennelly and M McC we were an poor team. The failure to replace EB earlier and not subbing DOS in 2011 when he got injured along with some brainless running BJK cost us that All Ireland.

There is not another All Ireland in the present team so it either sink or swim. If we do not start bringing in players we will have a situation like 1987-1996 0r worse. We have a core of players, Crowley , Murphy, Morley Moran, Barry, McCarthy, Buckley, Paul Geany, O'Donoghue That have 2-3 years before we start losing 2-3 of them. Maybe Walsh, Griffin, M Geany, O'Brien can offer something but lads like Savage, O'Sullivian' O'Shea, Bealaoich the Spillanes etc have to be left sink or swim we cannot afford another year of sitting on our hands. Cliffiord should go straight in next year and at least we would not be looking at bringing in BS for the last 3-4 minutes to take a free.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

In modern football CB is the fulcrum of any team. He has to be a total footballer one of your best game readers, top class defender, physically strong, fast and a playmaker. IMO Crowley is the best CB we have. We lost the 2010 semi and 2011 final because we did not have a top class CB.

Crowley is fine but there's a ceiling with him. Griffin has all the other attributes you name but he's prone to rash moments. Looking at him you'd definitely peg him for half-back or midfield sooner than fullback though. Morley or Beaglaoich might get there in a few years.
    Mayo played Chris Barrett at CHB and he wouldn't be the greatest playmaker although he's a good player. It depends how you set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Football Fixtures Summary for CCC Meeting – 28 Aug 2017

The following Football Fixtures schedule was approved at the County CCC Meeting on Monday August 28th 2017.

Senior Club Championship Final – Venue TBC – Extra Time

Kenmare Sham. v Dr Crokes Sun Sept 10 @ 2.30pm

Senior Football Championship - Qtr Finals – Extra Time

DB in Austin Stack Pk

Kerins O’Rahillys v East Kerry Sat Sept 23 @ 4pm

Austin Stacks v West Kerry Sat Sept 23 @ 5.45pm

DB in Fitzgerald Stadium

Dr Crokes v Kenmare Shamrocks Sun Sept 24 @ 1.30pm

Rathmore v South Kerry Sun Sept 24 @ 3.15pm

SFC Semi Finals Date October 7th

SFC Final Date October 22nd

Senior Football Championship Relegation Play-off – Round 2

Kilcummin v Kerins O’Rahillys* Date TBC

*Should Kerins O’Rahillys qualify for the Senior Football Final then they would be exempt from this Final

Minor Football Championship Final

East Kerry v St Brendans Date TBC

Intermediate Championship Semi Finals

St Mary's v An Ghaeltacht Sun Sept 10 @ 2.30pm Killorglin

Templenoe v Laune Rgs Sat Sept 23 @ 5pm Fitz Stadium

Junior Premier Championship Semi Finals

Dromid Pearses v Skellig Rgs Sat Sept 9 @ 5pm in Caherciveen

Firies v Na Gaeil Sat Sept 30 @ 5pm in Castleisland

Junior Championship Semi Finals

Listry v Lispole Sat Sept 9 @ 5pm in Strand Rd

Tuosist v Castlegregory Sat Sept 9 @ 5pm in Derreen

Novice Championship Round 1

Beale v Moyvane Sun Sept 10 @ 2.30pm in Beale

Kilgarvan v Cromane Sun Sept 24 @ 2.30pm Kilgarvan

Novice Championship Semi Final

Beale or Moyvane v Sneem/D’nane Date Sept 16

Kilgarvan or Cromane v Scartaglin Date Sept 30

Senior Football League

Div 3 – Backgame

Gneeveguilla v Fossa Fri Sept 1 @ 6.30pm

SFL Rd 11

Sunday Sept 3rd @ 1.30pm

(SFL Div 3 Ballymacelligott V Na Gaeil Sunday September 24th @ 2pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

If Mark O Connor from DINGLE hadnt emigrated and played an alternative professional sport he would now be warming the Kerry bench,Instead he"s a full time pro playing at the top level of his chosen sport.Are his colleagues from minor GAA days big enough,strong enough,developed enough to play for their county . Of course they are.But they need to play for their clubs,their districts,and their county,not wait forever while those who have just not been good enough keep their county jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

mystic86 wrote: »
    Was just reading an article by Con Houlihan published after the All Ireland win against Cork in 2009 - an excellent writer, and nice to read about better times for the kingdom. The team in 2009 really was so much better than our current crop. You'd struggle to pick (m)any from this crop to play in that team from 2009. Anyway, I've attached a photo of the article if anyone else would like a bit of escapism :p

Pretty desperate when one has to raid the archives that far back. I think things are going to be very bleak in the kingdom for a few years to come looking at how far Dublin and Mayo are ahead of them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Amprodude wrote: »
    Pretty desperate when one has to raid the archives that far back.

Was just reading some articles by Con as I have an interest in his writings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Amprodude wrote: »
    Pretty desperate when one has to raid the archives that far back. I think things are going to be very bleak in the kingdom for a few years to come looking at how far ahead Dublin and Mayo are ahead of them at the moment.

Yeah our schools, minors and club scene are pretty bleak at the moment alright, very few prospects coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I don't know why ye bother lads...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement