Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Doltanian wrote: »
    There is more to life than money, AFL stars often get life changing injuries and are crippled old men before they ever hit thirty. I hope that David Clifford stays in the Kingdom and helps Kerry raise to the top once again and nothing would give us greater joy than to watch him put several goals into the Dublin net next year.

Sure the same could happen to him playing for Kerry. And for what? "Pride in the jersey"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I think the best thing now would be for a new manager to come in and start freshening things up. Surely there are better players out there than some in the current setup on the back of 4 in a row of minor championships.

Fitz is a way too stubborn and slow to make changes and the team hasn't changed much at all in a long time. I can see him picking the same players next year as the ones this year if he stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I think the best thing now would be for a new manager to come in and start freshening things up. Surely there are better players out there than some in the current setup on the back of 4 in a row of minor championships.

Fitz is a way too stubborn and slow to make changes and the team hasn't changed much at all in a long time. I can see him picking the same players next year as the ones this year if he stays on.

Totally agree. I'd even go so far as to say that if we had a different manager we could be the AI champs this evening. A more inventive manager would transition our recent underage talent much better and we'd have seen a nicer blend of youth and experience in our championship team this year.

If we had then reached the final we may have had that superior bit of cuteness and know how to get over the line against Dublin.

Now I well remember how we too fell foul of them by a single point on more than one occasion but they were hungrier in the earlier years of this decade. They are still a fabulous team, no doubt about that, but this year they were beatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

acequion wrote: »
    Totally agree. I'd even go so far as to say that if we had a different manager we could be the AI champs this evening. A more inventive manager would transition our recent underage talent much better and we'd have seen a nicer blend of youth and experience in our championship team this year.

If we had then reached the final we may have had that superior bit of cuteness and know how to get over the line against Dublin.

Now I well remember how we too fell foul of them by a single point on more than one occasion but they were hungrier in the earlier years of this decade. They are still a fabulous team, no doubt about that, but this year they were beatable.

No

Yer backs would have been taken to the cleaners and Dublin would have won it pulling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The victorious Kerry Minor Football team, who completed a 4-in-a-Row of titles for the county in Croke Park yesterday, will be welcomed home in Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney this evening at 5:30pm.

Afterwards, Fossa GAA Club, home Club of Captain David Clifford, will host a Welcome Home at 8pm.

The Club has organised a Park and Ride complimentary Bus service for Supporters from the Car Parks at the Cathedral, Lewis Rd and High St in Killarney and also from The Golden Nuggett on the Western side and supporters are asked to avail of this facility to avoid congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Any chance of David Clifford getting some recognition (Young Player of the Year perhaps?) for his ridiculous two minor seasons I wonder?

Some of his stats...

2 All Ireland Minor Titles.
    2 Munster Minor Titles.
    1 Hogan Cup All Ireland Schools w/St Brendans
    5 Man of the Match Awards in 12 games.
    10-60 something in 2 Seasons.

Some of those numbers are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Same As wrote:
    Any chance of David Clifford getting some recognition (Young Player of the Year perhaps?) for his ridiculous two minor seasons I wonder?

He's something else his goals yesterday were fantastic.

I thought the Dublin team were very selfish against Derry and should/could have beaten them but they had a poor team ethic and didn't deserve it. However I was happy they beat us yesterday looking at the Kerry performance.

It's an award for just the one season,
    I really can't see anyone but O'Callaghan getting it as it will give Dublin an award and allow Andy Moran to get the Senior POTY.

I don't think a minor can win it anyway.
    O'Callaghan has won three All Ireland's this year already aswell (obviously one was for hurling)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And so the unique four-timer is complete, althought the 5-in-a-row curse strikes again with no championship next year! The history-makers who won the 4 Finals -

2014 2015 2016 2017
    Shane Ryan Rathmore Billy Courtney Dr. Crokes 2 Deividas Uosis Dingle
    Dan O'Donoghue Spa Darren Brosnan Gneeveguilla David Naughten Dr. Crokes Sean O’Leary Kilcummin
    Brian O'Beaglaoich An Gaeltacht Jason Foley Ballydonoghue Niall Collins Listowel Emmets Chris O’Donoghue Glenflesk
    Tom O'Sullivan Dingle Tom Leo O'Sullivan Dingle Graham O’Sullivan 2 Cian Gammell Killarney Legion
    Brian Sugrue Renard Jack Morgan Austin Stacks Michael Potts Dr. Crokes 2
    Andrew Barry Na Gaeil 2 Daniel O’Brien 2 Patrick Warren Gneeveguilla
    Cormac Coffey Kerins O'Rahillys Gavin White Kenmare Micheál Foley Ballydonoghue Niall Donohue Firies
    Barry O'Sullivan Dingle John Mark Foley Kilgarvan Mike Breen 2 Barry Mahony St Senans
    Mark O'Connor Dingle 2 (c) Mark Ryan Rathmore Adam Donoghue Castleisland Desmonds
    Micheál Burns Dr. Crokes Brian O'Seanachain Ballydonoghue Dara Moynihan Spa Donal O’Sullivan Kilgarvan
    Brian Rayel Lispole Sean O'Shea Kenmare 2 (c) Fíachra Clifford Laune Rangers
    Matthew Flaherty Dingle Brandon Barrett Ardfert Diarmuid O’Connor Na Gaeil 2
    Killian Spillane Templenoe Michael Foley Spa David Clifford Fossa 2 (c)
    Liam Kearney (c) Spa Bryan Sweeney Listowel Emmets David Shaw Dr. Crokes Jack Griffin Dr Crokes
    Tomás Ó'Sé An Gaeltacht Conor Geaney Dingle Brian Friel Rathmore 2

Robert Wharton Renard Dara O'Shea Kenmare Cormac Linnane Beale Eddie Horan Scartaglen
    Liam Carey Beaufort Daniel O'Brien Glenflesk Caolim Teahan Glenbeigh-Glencar Donnchadh O’Sullivan Firies
    Ivan Parker Churchill Graham O'Sullivan Dromid Pearses Bryan Sweeney 2 Ciarán O’Reilly Austin Stacks
    Jordan Kiely Dr. Crokes Mike Breen Beaufort Kieran Dwyer St. Pats Michael O’Leary Renard
    Stephen O'Sullivan Templenoe 2 Stefan Okunbor Na Gaeil Ryan O’Neill Na Gaeil
    James Duggan John Mitchels Michael Slattery Austin Stacks

Managers :
    Jack O'Connor 2
    Peter Keane 2

13 Players with two titles
    56 with one - Total 69

Clubs -
    Dingle 7, Dr Crokes 7
    Na Gaeil 4, Spa 4
    33 clubs represented in all

Scored : 13-55
    Conceded : 2-33
    Av winning margin : 13.8 pts (!)

D Clifford 5-4, C Geaney 2-4,
    F Clifford 2-0, K Spillane 0-5,
    B Friel 0-5, S O'Shea 0-4
    B Sweeney 1-1, D Shaw 1-1
    32 scorers in all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Amazing achievement by Kerry.
    If a good senior team doesn't come out of this in years to come, then questions have to be asked.
    The talent is coming through in Kerry, no one can question that or say the future is bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I don't understand the scored and conceded bit at the end.

Is that average score per year or one year scored? Also David Clifford is down as 5-4. Again is that averaged over 4 years or 2 years or per game (obviously not).

His scoring starts are immense though.

12 Minor a Intercounty games:
    10-68 scored. 10-48 from play. (Stats from the 42.ie article on him last Saturday combined with his 4-4 on Sunday).

Incredible talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

out of the above list, who can push for a starting place next year. i said it at the start of the year and ill repeat it, that team needs 5 or 6 new lads on the match day 21.

we need 2 new full back line members, we need at least 1 half back, a new midfielder, a center forward, a wing forward.

thats 6 in the starting 15 alone though maybe things arent that bad - for example if DOnaghy was to stay, maybe JOD could be center forward with Clifford, Geaney inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Spotted this this morning, incredible highlight reel already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The only sportsperson I can compare David Clifford to is Joe Canning,I remember watching Canning when he was a minor and thinking to myself this fella is unplayable,the next few years is going to interesting to see how David Clifford progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

out of the above list, who can push for a starting place next year. i said it at the start of the year and ill repeat it, that team needs 5 or 6 new lads on the match day 21.

we need 2 new full back line members, we need at least 1 half back, a new midfielder, a center forward, a wing forward.

thats 6 in the starting 15 alone though maybe things arent that bad - for example if DOnaghy was to stay, maybe JOD could be center forward with Clifford, Geaney inside too.

Ryan in goal, O'Beaglaoich, Jason Foley, Tom O'Sullivan and Gavin White in the backs anyway, Sean O'Shea, Conor Geaney and Tomas O'Se in the forwards, Matthew Flaherty and Killian Spillane as well maybe? Clifford looks ready unless they decide to hold him back. Kevin Mccarthy was injured in the latter part of this season but should also be ready again for next year, I think he has big potential. Add David Shaw to the list also if he is not in the AFL.

Forwards galore but midfield continues to be a bit of an issue in terms of mobility, not sure who is ready from the above list, Mark O'Connor would be but he can't be considered obviously.

If a handful of the above can step up we will be in a good place, lots of younger talent coming behind them too. Do we have enough in the right positions though? Midfield is the main worry

mickeyk wrote: »
    Ryan in goal, O'Beaglaoich, Jason Foley, Tom O'Sullivan and Gavin White in the backs anyway, Sean O'Shea, Conor Geaney and Tomas O'Se in the forwards, Matthew Flaherty and Killian Spillane as well maybe? Clifford looks ready unless they decide to hold him back. Kevin Mccarthy was injured in the latter part of this season but should also be ready again for next year, I think he has big potential. Add David Shaw to the list also if he is not in the AFL.

Forwards galore but midfield continues to be a bit of an issue in terms of mobility, not sure who is ready from the above list, Mark O'Connor would be but he can't be considered obviously.

If a handful of the above can step up we will be in a good place, lots of younger talent coming behind them too. Do we have enough in the right positions though? Midfield is the main worry

If Sundays game showed anything, accounting for subs, injuries and suspensions you will need a full 25 quality players to beat Dublin. They probably have another 25 to match what they have at the moment.

Our first 15 are a match for anything Dublin have but once you start going into the subs it costs the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Devidas Uosis just told RnaG he thinks Clifford will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

If Sundays game showed anything, accounting for subs, injuries and suspensions you will need a full 25 quality players to beat Dublin. They probably have another 25 to match what they have at the moment.

Our first 15 are a match for anything Dublin have but once you start going into the subs it costs the game.

Yes and the Super 8 makes things more difficult again as the smaller playing panels pick up injuries and suspensions.

It was evident on Sunday that Dublin finished with a stronger team than they started with while Mayo were down to the bare bones. Could any other team in history leave the likes of Connolly in reserve. It's a huge factor in a tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yes and the Super 8 makes things more difficult again as the smaller playing panels pick up injuries and suspensions.

It was evident on Sunday that Dublin finished with a stronger team than they started with while Mayo were down to the bare bones. Could any other team in history leave the likes of Connolly in reserve. It's a huge factor in a tight game.

And I think we were very lucky with the way things panned out re the impact of their bench. McCaffrey injured after 8 mins and 2 more subs needed at HT. There wasn't the usual wave towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Speed is what we need to dine at the top table next season introduce

O Beaglaoich
    Tom Sullivan
    Cormac Coffey
    Matthew Flaherty
    Jason Foley
    Jack Morgan
    Gavin White
    Sean O Sé
    Dara Moynihan

All guys with plenty pace,Having a few of these guys on the starting 15 and another handful coming off the bench would strengthen Kerry a huge amount

There is a core group i would keep together from the senior panel and really get them to drive the younger players

Shane Enright
    Mark Griffin
    Tadgh Morley
    Peter Crowley
    Paul Murphy
    David Moran
    Stephen O Brien
    James O Donoghue
    Paul Geaney
    Jack Barry
    Ronan Shanahan
    Jack Savage

There are other guys on the fringes from this year could kick on

Cathal Luing
    Brendan Sullivan
    Kevin McCarthy
    Shane Ryan
    Gavin Crowley

Hopefully one or two guys might put their hand up over the next month in championship the likes of Matthew Sullivan,Greg Horan or Adrian Spillane

The above 29 men (Leave a spot open for young Fossa man) would make for a fantastic panel next year and with the super 8's they could be the men to stop the 4 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

acequion wrote: »

If my uncle was my aunt then she would have balls. Not a hope this year. 2015-2017 kerry teams were 2 levels below Dublin and that's is just the way it is. A bit like Kerry dominating in the 70s and 80's nobody was in their league.

Amprodude wrote: »
    If my uncle was my aunt then she would have balls. Not a hope this year. 2015-2017 kerry teams were 2 levels below Dublin and that's is just the way it is. A bit like Kerry dominating in the 70s and 80's.

Yet they were still only 2 or 3 points adrift at the final whistle and could of been level but for a slip of the ball in one game and a bad refereeing decision in the other and in the third game they beat them(league final).

Don't get me wrong dublin are the better team but kerry aren't as far behind as you make out. A few changes could make a big impact on that kerry team and they wouldn't be far off beating dublin at all.

Also this year despite mayo being the better team kerry nearly beat them and probably should of beat them the first day out.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Speed is what we need to dine at the top table next season introduce

O Beaglaoich
    Tom Sullivan
    Cormac Coffey
    Matthew Flaherty
    Jason Foley
    Jack Morgan
    Gavin White
    Sean O Sé
    Dara Moynihan

All guys with plenty pace,Having a few of these guys on the starting 15 and another handful coming off the bench would strengthen Kerry a huge amount

There is a core group i would keep together from the senior panel and really get them to drive the younger players

Shane Enright
    Mark Griffin
    Tadgh Morley
    Peter Crowley
    Paul Murphy
    David Moran
    Stephen O Brien
    James O Donoghue
    Paul Geaney
    Jack Barry
    Ronan Shanahan
    Jack Savage

There are other guys on the fringes from this year could kick on

Cathal Luing
    Brendan Sullivan
    Kevin McCarthy
    Shane Ryan
    Gavin Crowley

Hopefully one or two guys might put their hand up over the next month in championship the likes of Matthew Sullivan,Greg Horan or Adrian Spillane

The above 29 men (Leave a spot open for young Fossa man) would make for a fantastic panel next year and with the super 8's they could be the men to stop the 4 in a row.

Only one problem with this
    inpho_00945559.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yet they were still only 2 or 3 points adrift at the final whistle and could of been level but for a slip of the ball in one game and a bad refereeing decision in the other and in the third game they beat them(league final).

Don't get me wrong dublin are the better team but kerry aren't as far behind as you make out. A few changes could make a big impact on that kerry team and they wouldn't be far off beating dublin at all.

Also this year despite mayo being the better team kerry nearly beat them and probably should of beat them the first day out.

Mayo could have beaten Dublin too but didn't . Kerry won't be far off in the coming years with the mighty 4 in a row minor teams and then are bound to win a few All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

Doltanian wrote: »
    What I think is a disgrace is how Dublin treats its players who are paid professional athletes in all but name, they are certainly not amateurs. Yet counties who have a great talent often lose them to AFL, Dublin won't lose their players because the GAA ensures they have the financial power to pay their players and hold them. Its a two speed system and the sooner millions is diverted out of Dublin to encourage Hurling in Donegal and Football below in Kilkenny then its obvious the GAA are a corrupt organisation with money and corruption in their very heart.

Which Dublin players are getting paid??

Gael85 wrote: »
    Which Dublin players are getting paid??

Ffs, we were doing so well ignoring that ****e but there's always one. Couldn't help yourself could you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Congratulations on a super year, actually super couple of years at minor level. Only team I can see beating Dublin.

Surely local business and university contacts can come together and offer this young lad a package to stay?
    3 year college course with a job at the end of it, throw in a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so any under 20s who are selected for Senior next year, are illegible to play for the under 20s.

thats a bit of a crap rule isnt it? the u20 championship is only for 5 or 6 weeks like.

only really clifford from last years team would be in the shake up though i guess?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I don't understand the scored and conceded bit at the end.
    It's just the total from the four finals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement