Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I would be happy enough to see the back of Jack if I am being honest, I have never rated him as highly as others and the lack of tactical changes in the last game was dumbfounding. Maybe some of the players that have been left out in the cold will get a look in if he goes.

I would say two or three years of rebuilding and then maybe a serious assault on it again.

As a Corkman here I find it quite funny that you would like to see the back of Jack. Jack O'C has been a real good manager for Kerry. He delivered 3 All Irelands under his management and thats nothing to be laughed at. I always thought he was a clever manager that always made the right decisions (except for the last day against Down) which he got the tactics wrong there but that was only one game. If us in Cork could have a manager that could deliver us one All Ireland I would be happy and I dont think Counihan will do it as he has made shocking switches and tactics before.

I would never write off Kerry. This year will hurt them and they will be back again next year with a flash contesting for Sam. Kerry always seem to win All Irelands no matter who starts for them, its a tradition that ye have.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Kerry play Lancashire in the All-Ireland Junior semi-final this weekend.

looks like it might be our only all-ireland appearance this year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

teednab-el wrote: »
    As a Corkman here I find it quite funny that you would like to see the back of Jack. Jack O'C has been a real good manager for Kerry. He delivered 3 All Irelands under his management and thats nothing to be laughed at. I always thought he was a clever manager that always made the right decisions (except for the last day against Down) which he got the tactics wrong there but that was only one game. If us in Cork could have a manager that could deliver us one All Ireland I would be happy and I dont think Counihan will do it as he has made shocking switches and tactics before.

I would never write off Kerry. This year will hurt them and they will be back again next year with a flash contesting for Sam. Kerry always seem to win All Irelands no matter who starts for them, its a tradition that ye have.

I can definitely give the man credit for what he has achieved. Some people may say he didn't have to do much with the players he had or that the team was run by a certain Gaeltacht man/men but he had to deal with a lot and he came through.

I just don't think he is as good as some say but that doesn't mean I am saying he is bad. More to the point though I don't like his personality and some of the dealings some friends of mine had with him with the Kerry team and club football, but that is football across the board I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

fresca wrote: »
    Kerry play Lancashire in the All-Ireland Junior semi-final this weekend.

looks like it might be our only all-ireland appearance this year!!!!

Ah don't worry, you beat us! Your honour is in tact for now

U-21 county championship final this thursday evening in austin stack park, tralee. west kerry v south kerry.

• Advertisement

congratulations to south kerry ... much the better side....
    U-21 county championship final this thursday evening in austin stack park, tralee. west kerry v south kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 michelin man

kerry wont be to far from all ireland next year ok they'll lose a few players but there is good young players on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

kerry wont be to far from all ireland next year ok they'll lose a few players but there is good young players on the bench.

We do have some good young players coming through like John Lyne, Podge O'Connor, Barry John Keane etc. but Kerrys problems atm lie at Centre Back, Full back and midfield.

The young players coming through are going to be in corner or wing positions - so unless we move Tomás O' Sé & Marc O'Sé to central roles to accomodate the young players coming through we're going to remain weak in the centre - That being said - if we move our two best defenders to these central positions we're already shooting ourselves in the foot as, imo, we have two of the best players at their respective positions being taken out of those positions.

Midfield I'm not too worried about - we have David Moran, Maher, Johnny Buckley and a few others coming through but defence is where I'm really worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mccarthy-retires-again-as-kerry-prepare-for-rebuild-2390368.html

McCarthy retires again as kerry prepare for rebuild

Friday October 22 2010
    THE break-up of Kerry's 2009 All-Ireland winning team continues with the announcement that Mike McCarthy is to retire, WRITES Martin Breheny.

It's the second occasion hat he has quit inter-county football, but, at the age of 32, it's likely to be permanent this time.

He quit after Kerry's 2006 All-Ireland success, but made a dramatic return during the 2009 championship campaign and played a major role at centre-back as Kerry advanced through the qualifiers to win the title.

McCarthy's departure brings to five the number of 2009 All-Ireland medal winners no longer available to Kerry.

Goalkeeper Diarmuid Murphy and midfielder Darragh O Se have both retired, while Tommy Walsh and Tadhg Kennelly are playing in Australia.

The panel is likely to undergo further changes as manager Jack O'Connor begins a rebuilding programme, which is seen as all the more urgent by Kerry supporters following Cork's All-Ireland win this year.

Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

McCarthy opts out of Kerry panel
    By Tony Leen

Thursday, October 21, 2010

MIKE McCARTHY won’t be part of the Kingdom’s Championship bid for 2011, it has emerged.

The Kilcummin man has informed coach Jack O’Connor that’s he is packing up inter-county football – and this time, the retirement is permanent.

The 32-year-old defender retired after the 2006 All-Ireland winning campaign but returned in dramatic circumstances at O’Connor’s behest last year to steady Kerry’s defence en route to their September 2009 success against Cork.

Despite a longer-than-desired off season this year – Kerry’s season finished at the beginning of August – McCarthy has already told the Kerry coach that his race is run.

He is the holder of four All-Ireland medals (2000, 2004, 2006 and 2009) and an U21 title from 1998.

O’Connor was quick to acknowledge his steadying influence when he returned to arms after Cork had defeated the Kingdom in the 2009 Munster semi-final at Páirc uí Chaoimh, sending Kerry through the qualifier route.

After constant coaxing from the coach, McCarthy returned for the qualifiers, and along with Paul Galvin was critical in guiding them past Antrim and into Croke Park, where they routed Dublin in the quarter-final. McCarthy is a defender’s defender, but a consummate ballplayer who’s as comfortable at half forward or midfield as he is in either line of defence. At 32, he’s hardly over the hill, and will be a very significant loss to a Kerry side in transition.

One bit of good news for Kerry though is Tomás O Sé’s appetite for the new season, having confirmed that he is hungrier than ever for 2011.

O Sé, who is the same age as McCarthy, has already intimated to Kerry management that he would like to be considered for some of the early stages of the National League, which kicks off with a home game against All-Ireland champions Cork in February.

Meanwhile, Paul Galvin has undergone keyhole surgery in Dublin to sort a persistent hip/groin problem in advance of the 2011 campaign.

His inter-county colleague Killian Young recently underwent a similar procedure in the capital.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, October 21, 2010

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/m....l#ixzz12ymtG66u

Read more: http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=3503&page=2#ixzz13BppFBOF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Any potential new players unearthed by the county championship, young or older?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mike maloney has got to be worth a shot, likewise 3 or 4 other players in the crokes team. if they go all the way to the AI final, then surely if they are the best team in the country, they should have more than what they currently on the kerry panel. the played the final without O leary and kennelly. Ambrose O Donavan was superb in the final, he may get a shot in the early stages (Mcgrath Cup) and see what he is worth and likewise Buckley deserves a shot in there. Brosnan and Cremin IMO, deserve a recall to the squad, unless there are personal problems with Jack. Mikey Collins looked lively for the rockies and IMO would be worth a shot more than one or 2 players who made the panel this year.

Maloney at full back defo is the main find for me anyway.

mike maloney has got to be worth a shot, likewise 3 or 4 other players in the crokes team. if they go all the way to the AI final, then surely if they are the best team in the country, they should have more than what they currently on the kerry panel. the played the final without O leary and kennelly. Ambrose O Donavan was superb in the final, he may get a shot in the early stages (Mcgrath Cup) and see what he is worth and likewise Buckley deserves a shot in there. Brosnan and Cremin IMO, deserve a recall to the squad, unless there are personal problems with Jack. Mikey Collins looked lively for the rockies and IMO would be worth a shot more than one or 2 players who made the panel this year.

Maloney at full back defo is the main find for me anyway.

Maybe at full back but that's literally the only position he can play - don't think he has the pace for any other position and I'm basing that on having being marked by him.

Buckley deserves a shot I'd agree with that but he still needs to strenghten up a good bit.

I've played with Mikey Collins - very good player would have no qualms with him being brought in.

Dathai Casey could be brought in but I wouldn't see him making the championship panel - still a very good prospect for the future though - very good centre forward. If Jonathon Lyne and Paudge O'Connor are in then he should be also imo

I know he's from my club but if Andrew Garnett could get a decent run without injury he'd be on my panel - was brilliant for the Kerry juniors when he played for them and he was unlucky to get injured last time he was brought in by the senior panel as he was in tremendous form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Daithi Casey and Michael Moloney are the two stand out players from the Co. Championship who should get some involvement in the spring. Moloney especially considering Mike Mac is gone and Tommy Griffin hasn't much time left. Buckley will definitely be playing in McGrath Cup but it will be with UCC and Ambrose Donovan the same with UL, can't see them involved in championship fare maybe first 3-4 league games and a few challenge matches. Hope Buckley's form improves though because he has the potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Right time to dust down this thread and make it sparkling again. Yesterday's McGrath Cup Final has unearthed a few new faces going into 2011. Winning is a habit and hopefully we can kick on against Cork next Sunday. The season ticket is in the back pocket, the tank is full of petrol and the gps has new batteries. Keep her lit...

Kerry proved far too strong for a disappointing Clare side without ever having to hit top gear in an entertaining contest at the Dr Crokes Grounds, Lewis Road, Killarney yesterday afternoon.

The result was never in doubt despite a Clare scoring burst that saw them jump 0-3 to 0-1 clear inside the opening five minutes, thanks to points from David Tubridy, Cathal O'Connor and wing-back John Hayes. David Geaney posted Kerry's opening score.

However, that was as good as it got for Clare, as Kerry assumed complete control at midfield where David Moran was the dominant figure throughout, ably assisted by Seamus Scanlon.

Clare were dreadful in attack and with Marc O Se and Aidan O'Mahony tasting their first action of the season for Kerry, the visitors failed to score for 29 minutes of the opening half.

Kerry, thanks to David Geaney, who added three first-half points, and two frees from Moran, led 0-7 to 0-4 at the break. With Moran catching everything at midfield, Kerry were still in control, though squandering their chances up front did not help.

After an early Niall Browne point, Clare just failed to fire up front and they missed three kickable close-in frees as Kerry led 0-12 to 0-5 with just nine minutes remaining.

Clare got a lifeline when midfielder Cathal O'Connor scored a goal in the 57th minute but despite two late, pointed frees from out-of-form Alan Clohessy, Kerry retained the McGrath Cup with the minimum of fuss.

Scorers -- Kerry: D Geaney 0-6, D Moran 0-3 (2f, 1 '45'), Darran O'Sullivan, D Walsh, M O'Donoghue, P Geaney 0-1 each. Clare: C O'Connor 1-1, A Clohessy 0-3 (2f), John Hayes, D Tubridy, N Browne 0-1 each.

Kerry: T Mac An tSaoir; P Reidy, M O Se, P O'Connor; A O'Mahony, T O Se, J Lyne; S Scanlon, D Moran; G Sayers, Darran O'Sullivan, D Walsh; D Geaney, M O'Donoghue, P O'Donoghue. Subs: B O'Grady for G Sayers (h-t), A Fitzgerald for M O'Donoghue (h-t), Danny O'Sullivan for P O'Connor (55), E Hickson for A O'Mahony (57), P McCarthy for T O'Se (62).

Clare: J Hayes; L Healy, B Duggan, M McMahon; Graham Kelly, Gordon Kelly John Hayes; M Foran C O'Connor; D Daly, D Tubridy, N Browne; R Donnelly, T Ryan, A Clohessy. Subs: N White for Graham Kelly (32), S Brennan for D Tubridy (53), G Fannin for B Duggan (53), A Cahill for D Daly (60), C Ryan for T Ryan (60).

Referee: C Lane (Cork).

- Murt Murphy McGrath Cup Final
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kerry-dominate-clare-2516754.html

it seems like forever.. good to be back... looking forward to sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

I would like to see Geaney do well. No doubt he will get a load of verbals of Cadogan today. Cork might win by two points

Very interested in seeing how our midfield performs against much tougher opposition after a very good performance against Clare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

thesultan wrote: »
    I would like to see Geaney do well.
    No doubt he will get a load of verbals of Cadogan today. Cork might win by two points

I would like to see Geaney do well :- He did

No doubt he will get a load of verbals of Cadogan today :- Yawn

Cork might win by two points:- Can't get much closer than that. Fair play.

Enjoyable game. Ref was overly fussy I thought. Would like to see a replay of the Sendings off - I can only presume there were punches thrown.
    Considering it was the first league game, there were some really great point scoring. The sheer quality of Cork's free taking was a pleasure to watch.
    For Kerry some tricky away games become more important while for Cork they will I'm sure be a happy set of players tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Back up to Dublin terrible night for driving had a chance to think about the game.

Kerry were lacking in panel, freetakers and bit of toughness around midfield today. Cork were able to bring on the likes of Nicholas Murphy. No way does Kerry have that sort of experience in the line. They have freetakers in the class of Goulding & O'Connor whilst Kerry missed a lot of scorable frees that Gooch would put over blindfolded. More worrying was that Cork were able to boss the Kerry midfield. Midfield in no place for nice guys and A.Maher unfortunately falls into that category. Scanlon came on in the second half and offered no meaningful contribution.

On the positives, Cork had 8 of their starting all-ireland final team and Kerry could maybe have snatched it if they were a bit cuter. The two Geaney shone brightly and Darren O'Sullivan was MOTM. Star is back to his best and the hunger is still there.

The big difference for me though was the confidence that Cork had. This is only gained from winning all-irelands and this result away against their old nemesis is a great start to their league campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Good performance from the Kingdom, pity about the final score.
    Should have wrapped it up when we were a point up, but the lack of a free taker killed us.
    Sending off happended right in front of me. The two lads squared up as a free/lineball (can't remember but it was out by the line) was being prepared to be taken. Loadsa verbals, O'Leary gave BJK a little dig into the ribs, BJK squared up to O'Leary and motioned his head towards him in a "Im Going to Fight You" way. O'Leary laughed for a second, then punched BJK twice and wrestled him to the ground. Went ballistic when I saw the one red coming out, but fair play to the umpire. I can only imaging BJK was sent off for intention to strike with the head, but if he was sent off for striking it was a joke, he didnt get near landing a punch.

Well Done Cork, maybe this will be the matchup in September? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

I would be very fearful of the Kerry defence when the two O'Sé's go.
    I don't think that Barry John Wals hasn't the pace for inter county and is Jacko being too loyal to him from his Kerins experience. Goulding has serious bulk on him and was too strong for Podge O'Connor. Moran again has little speed and not doing enough to be a regular starter. Geaney did well but missed one or two in the second half which could have kicked Kerry on more. Kerry need a freetaker (when Sheehan is missing) that can kick from the ground. Donnacha won alot of ball but should have goaled. Donaghy who was very poor last year seem to have his spark back and that can only benefit Cooper. Pity O'Mahoney got injured. First time I have seem him impose himself on a game since he took a dive against Cork back three years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Good performance from the Kingdom, pity about the final score.
    Should have wrapped it up when we were a point up, but the lack of a free taker killed us.
    Sending off happended right in front of me. The two lads squared up as a free/lineball (can't remember but it was out by the line) was being prepared to be taken. Loadsa verbals, O'Leary gave BJK a little dig into the ribs, BJK squared up to O'Leary and motioned his head towards him in a "Im Going to Fight You" way. O'Leary laughed for a second, then punched BJK twice and wrestled him to the ground. Went ballistic when I saw the one red coming out, but fair play to the umpire. I can only imaging BJK was sent off for intention to strike with the head, but if he was sent off for striking it was a joke, he didnt get near landing a punch.

Well Done Cork, maybe this will be the matchup in September? Who knows.

Your the only one in the attendance that saw NOL punch BJK, BJK clearly goes for a headbutt which didnt connect and NOL reacted by swingin at him and missing and knocking him to the ground.

Handbags except for BJK's attempted headbutt which has no place on the field.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

slingerz wrote: »
    Your the only one in the attendance that saw NOL punch BJK, BJK clearly goes for a headbutt which didnt connect and NOL reacted by swingin at him and missing and knocking him to the ground.

Your account is similar to one I heard yesterday from someone that was at the match.
    Either way it's not really that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

slingerz wrote: »

Knocked him to the ground with a missed punch? Right...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

thesultan wrote: »
    I would be very fearful of the Kerry defence when the two O'Sé's go.
    I don't think that Barry John Wals hasn't the pace for inter county and is Jacko being too loyal to him from his Kerins experience. Goulding has serious bulk on him and was too strong for Podge O'Connor. Moran again has little speed and not doing enough to be a regular starter. Geaney did well but missed one or two in the second half which could have kicked Kerry on more. Kerry need a freetaker (when Sheehan is missing) that can kick from the ground. Donnacha won alot of ball but should have goaled. Donaghy who was very poor last year seem to have his spark back and that can only benefit Cooper. Pity O'Mahoney got injured. First time I have seem him impose himself on a game since he took a dive against Cork back three years or so.

BJW's substitution was pretty ridic IMO. He was very unlucky with a shot off the post, pulled off a serious block and was beaten for pace by one of the most athletic players in the country in a straight foot race.

Raw speed is not, and has never been what his game is about.

O'Leary was awful when introduced, which makes BJW's substitution look very harsh.

Re: midfield I thought Maher (who I'm not usually a fan of) and Moran played very well. They were up against the team with by far the strongest ball winning team in the country and weren't cleaned out. They were under pressure at times, but were dominating for ten minutes or so before Scanlon was introduced. Interestingly, Kerry hardly won a ball at midfield after Scanlon came on. I really think he's been drastically overrated in the last few years and is very far from the guaranteed starter quality that a lot of people seem to think he has.

There's no place for Sheehan in the starting line-up IMO. As a corner forward either of the Geaney's will be better options and I don't see him on the wing ahead of BJK, Galvin et al. Maybe at CF, but I hate the idea of moving Declan OS from there. David Moran is a pretty good free taker from distance, and Gooch will score anything from 50 yards in. It's a part of Sheehan's game that can be pretty hit and miss, he's certainly not good enough to be getting on the team just for it.

AOM had a great game, him firing on all cylinders would be a brilliant for a back line that looks a bit lacking in depth.

Very happy with Kerry's performance overall, a lot of positives, if we can find a couple of decent backs to add to what's there we'll be pretty strong.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Re: midfield I thought Maher (who I'm not usually a fan of) and Moran played very well. They were up against the team with by far the strongest ball winning team in the country and weren't cleaned out. They were under pressure at times, but were dominating for ten minutes or so before Scanlon was introduced. Interestingly, Kerry hardly won a ball at midfield after Scanlon came on. I really think he's been drastically overrated in the last few years and is very far from the guaranteed starter quality that a lot of people seem to think he has.

I'd be inclined to agree with you regarding this point - thought midfield played well overall - they lorded it in the first 15mins and then Cork came back into it.

Scanlon - I wouldn't say he's been drastically overrated in the past few years - two years ago he was outstanding for us, provided a great engine around the field and his link play allowed the likes of Tomás & Killian Young get into advanced positions.

That said - he was poor last year and even though it's early in the year, I don't think he's going to recapture his form.

Maher has potential - he's still learning and himself and Moran could form a very good partnership....I'd like to see Moran & Johnny Buckley given a run out though as I think they'd compliment each other well.
    AOM had a great game, him firing on all cylinders would be a brilliant for a back line that looks a bit lacking in depth.

Again, agreed, thought he looked like the AOM of old. It was interesting to hear Paul Galvin say on the documentary "Galvinised" that he laid off the weights and focused on flexibility training - I couldn't help but think at the time that AOM needed to do this.

He bulked up for the CB role when Seamus Moynihan finished up and he lost a shedload of pace imo, it looked to me the last day that he'd gotten a bit of it back whilst still being very strong on the ball and going into contact.

anyone in castlebar? it sounded a really poor game...
    glad of the win, but...
    how did EB do at centre-back?
    looking forward to croker next sat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

looking forward to croker next sat...

So are we, haven't beaten the Kingdom in Croker since the league semi final in 1993!

Fingers crossed, we'll make it 3 from 3 but Kerry in Croker always sends shivers down my spine!

• Advertisement

how did EB do at centre-back?

Not great imo - not up to inter county standard in that position, that said he's been off the scene for a while and could come good given a few games but tbh I wouldn't go holding my breath.

Twas good to see Gary O'Driscoll given a chance - was very good for the juniors last year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement