Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

does anyone know if the kerry dublin game will be shown live on any tv stations??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

think it will be on Setanta Ireland (could be wrong though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Anyone know of a link to watch this game on line.

Cant go sick bunny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Not even on Kerry Radio with the stupid election! Only updates! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

tis on radio kerry all right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lost to cork by a point and now lost to dublin by a point - that's gotta hurt,
    good game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Great game. First time Dublin have beaten Kerry in Croke Park since the League Final in 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Very enjoyable game.

From a Kerry POV, the Eoin Brosnan experiment would want to be abandoned early as it a farce.

The guy at his peak was barely up to IC standard as a forward, he was extremely suspect in defense last night, being very involved in two of the goals Kerry lost.

A CB line of Lyne-TOS/AOM-AOM/TOS is what we ought to end up with, but Brosnan ought to be discarded as an option because he's just not up to it.

For younger defenders coming through as well, to see a wing forward coming out of retirement to be slotted in at CB must be pretty galling.

Kieran O'Leary is ridic far from IC standard. He's had a good amount of chances now and has played in strong line-ups. Nowhere near good enough tbh.

On a +ve note, Brian Sheehan was absolutely fantastic last night, with David Moran doing good work as a third midfielder. It's the first time I can remember Sheehan playing in his preferred position at IC level, and he looks really good there. A midfield of Scanlon and Sheehan with David Moran at 10 looks a potential winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

i would have to disagree with your view on Eoin Brosnan, i'm afraid.
    I thoguht that he has quite a good game, made some good interceptions and was quite physical. he was turned over for the 3rd goal, but had absolutely no support at the time. i'd imagine that they will give him a few more games in that position.

i agree with your assessment of sheahan & moran.
    i think that this was a very important game for moran - because if he had another poor game, then he would be on the bench.

overall, a good step up in attitude from cork and mayo games.

i don't see kieran o'leary staying on this team.
    And as for donaghy ... i think that declan sullivan might be our full forward come championship time...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Very enjoyable game.

From a Kerry POV, the Eoin Brosnan experiment would want to be abandoned early as it a farce.

The guy at his peak was barely up to IC standard as a forward, he was extremely suspect in defense last night, being very involved in two of the goals Kerry lost.

A CB line of Lyne-TOS/AOM-AOM/TOS is what we ought to end up with, but Brosnan ought to be discarded as an option because he's just not up to it.

For younger defenders coming through as well, to see a wing forward coming out of retirement to be slotted in at CB must be pretty galling.

Kieran O'Leary is ridic far from IC standard. He's had a good amount of chances now and has played in strong line-ups. Nowhere near good enough tbh.

On a +ve note, Brian Sheehan was absolutely fantastic last night, with David Moran doing good work as a third midfielder. It's the first time I can remember Sheehan playing in his preferred position at IC level, and he looks really good there. A midfield of Scanlon and Sheehan with David Moran at 10 looks a potential winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Flukey wrote: »
    Great game. First time Dublin have beaten Kerry in Croke Park since the League Final in 1987.

You got that one wrong, Flukey. We beat them in the League semi final in 1993.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

dcr22B wrote: »
    You got that one wrong, Flukey. We beat them in the League semi final in 1993.
    Actually, I'll correct myself on that one. We beat Kerry in the league in Croker the following October 1993.

fresca wrote: »
    i would have to disagree with your view on Eoin Brosnan, i'm afraid.
    I thoguht that he has quite a good game, made some good interceptions and was quite physical. he was turned over for the 3rd goal, but had absolutely no support at the time. i'd imagine that they will give him a few more games in that position.

Nah he was ruined, side stepped laughably easily for the first goal, badly at fault for the second, and he wasn't exactly marking a big name forward either.
    i agree with your assessment of sheahan & moran.
    i think that this was a very important game for moran - because if he had another poor game, then he would be on the bench.

David Moran played well against Cork as well.

Scanlon came on for Maher in that game and didn't touch the ball for twenty minutes as we went from winning midfield to being absolutely cleaned out.

People seem to have a blindspot towards Scanlon and the fact that a lot of games completely pass him by. I guess Moran's mistakes tend to involve him actually being on the ball so they're more visible.

It's not even close between them about which should be in greater danger of beign dropped.
    overall, a good step up in attitude from cork and mayo games.

We had a pretty good performance against Cork and probably would have won it only for some bad substitutions, and some embarrassing free misses by Kieran O'Leary.
    And as for donaghy ... i think that declan sullivan might be our full forward come championship time...

Donaghy was hung out to dry by woeful tactics in the first half.

Watch it again because the shift in approach either side of the break was stark.

First half the half backs and midfielders were pumping the ball into the square from 60+ yards.

Almost invariably, Donaghy was competing with three backs with no Kerry player within twenty yards of him. To his credit, pretty much every ball got well broken down, and if he'd had any support at all we probably would have gotten a couple of scores off the breaks.

In the second half we actually played non-retarded football, which was refreshing to see. We worked the ball up the flanks before picking a winnable pass into the full-forward line.

It's pretty bizarre to me how Jack O'Connor has sent Kerry out in the last couple of years to play this super-longball game, effectively bypassing the one area of the pitch where we pretty much ruin every other team in the country, i.e. our forward line beyond Donaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Kerry certainly are not gone and are still definite contenders for the All Ireland.Even with the more experienced players gone,they have shown that once they've conceded goals they can recover and get back in the game.

Midfield is still a huge void after Daragh has gone and the only recourse I can see now is to put Donaghy in at midfield.Donaghy for all his height and strength seems to be nullified at full forward and a return of Paul Galvin at wing forward and Declan O Sullivan at full forward will make Kerry an even bigger threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I have heard talk of Galvin being put into the half back line, did anyone else hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Unpossible wrote: »
    I have heard talk of Galvin being put into the half back line, did anyone else hear this?

What would be the point of that though?

The guy is one of the best, if not the best, wing forward in the game - we have Killian Young and either Mahony or Tomás in the centre with the other of these two on the wing (at least that's how I'd like to see it)

Jonathon Lyne has been fairly impressive and could fill in for injuries not to mention Bohane & Aidan O'Shea

Don't see it happening tbh as the half back line seems in better shape than the half forward line...

The only upside would be he wouldn't have to mark Noel O'Leary when we play Cork, although they'd prob move him to wing forward to píss us off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

PaulieC wrote: »
    What would be the point of that though?
    I think the argument was that he doesn't really score very often and that he could play it the same as his current position, winning the ball and getting it up to the forwards.

The talk of putting current players in different positions does sit a little uneasy with me though. This is kerry, are there really no other good up and comming footballers around the county to put into midfield and the back lines?

blackbelt wrote: »
    Kerry certainly are not gone and are still definite contenders for the All Ireland.Even with the more experienced players gone,they have shown that once they've conceded goals they can recover and get back in the game.

Midfield is still a huge void after Daragh has gone and the only recourse I can see now is to put Donaghy in at midfield.Donaghy for all his height and strength seems to be nullified at full forward and a return of Paul Galvin at wing forward and Declan O Sullivan at full forward will make Kerry an even bigger threat.

Donaghy is not up to midfield at IC level, and is a fantastic full-forward when the team's tactics are right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Unpossible wrote: »
    I think the argument was that he doesn't really score very often and that he could play it the same as his current position, winning the ball and getting it up to the forwards.

The talk of putting current players in different positions does sit a little uneasy with me though. This is kerry, are there really no other good up and comming footballers around the county to put into midfield and the back lines?

that wuold just mean we would have to put Noel into the half forwards;)

keane2097 wrote: »
    Donaghy is not up to midfield at IC level, and is a fantastic full-forward when the team's tactics are right.

I would whole heartedly agree. He is dangerous at ff but only with the right ball delivered and the corner forwards close enough to feed off him.

I don't think he has the speed or mobility for midfield at inter county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    lost to cork by a point and now lost to dublin by a point - that's gotta hurt,
    good game though.

and both down to poor decisions from the ref...that hurts even more. so far, i would put my starting 15 for the next game at if all fit

• Advertisement

and both down to poor decisions from the ref...that hurts even more. so far, i would put my starting 15 for the next game at if all fit

And pray tell me how the referee cost Kerry those matches??

If anything,the referee last Saturday could have cost Dublin that match!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

how did the ref cost dublin the game in your view?

the ref cost us a draw because the final kick should have been brought forward 10 yards for o garas and others actions and then i have no doubt that sheehan would have put it over, he missed that one and the one before it only slightly and it was because they were a tiny bit too far out.

Referees eh .... if only we could play the game without them;)

mystic86 wrote: »
    how did the ref cost dublin the game in your view?

the ref cost us a draw because the final kick should have been brought forward 10 yards for o garas and others actions and then i have no doubt that sheehan would have put it over, he missed that one and the one before it only slightly and it was because they were a tiny bit too far out.

He didn't cost Dublin the game thank God but he could have.

The final kick should have actually been a hop ball.I find it very ironic and convenient that nobody mentions the punch O Se threw at O Gara as well.A normal referee who actually applies the rules of the game would have done so.Even for dissent or retaliation the free is cancelled and the ball is thrown up.

Also,the lead up to that free,Duffy missed a Dublin player being taken out of it off the ball right in front of the Hogan Stand when Dublin regained posession of the ball.The Dublin player was body checked when running to collect a pass.

So thankfully justice prevailed and Sheehan missed the free that never was.

The final kick should have actually been a hop ball.I find it very ironic and convenient that nobody mentions the punch O Se threw at O Gara as well.

Not trying to go OT but I really dislike O'Gara, was watching him specifically in a number of games last year and he constantly comes in with little digs on defenders when the ball is long gone - what's annoying is that he's a good footballer he just needs to control his aggression a bit more imo
    Also,the lead up to that free,Duffy missed a Dublin player being taken out of it off the ball right in front of the Hogan Stand when Dublin regained posession of the ball.The Dublin player was body checked when running to collect a pass.

It's a joke how many 3rd man tackles are missed and tbf it's hard for a referee to spot them all - but you can be guaranteed that type of foul was committed multiple times by both teams - not that that's an excuse mind, it's something that needs to be stopped more imo

Not trying to go OT but I really dislike O'Gara, was watching him specifically in a number of games last year and he constantly comes in with little digs on defenders when the ball is long gone - what's annoying is that he's a good footballer he just needs to control his aggression a bit more imo

True,he has a temper but then again there are plenty of good footballers around that do.Not to get into a petty argument but that is how I'd view Galvin.O Gara did get sent off in a game against Wexford one year but once he's troubling defenses and linking well with other attackers and getting goals,thats fine by me.

Quite possibly,we need that temperament too.Far too often Dublin have had players that didn't bring enough aggression into the game and thats why O Gara is there.He fits into the system.

It's a joke how many 3rd man tackles are missed and tbf it's hard for a referee to spot them all - but you can be guaranteed that type of foul was committed multiple times by both teams - not that that's an excuse mind, it's something that needs to be stopped more imo[/QUOTE]

True thats its not an excuse.I'm a referee myself and a referee will never see everything that goes on but that specific third man tackle near the very end was obvious to everyone in attendance at Croke Park and on tv.It was shocking that it was never penalised but Duffy has a propensity to let the ridiculous go unpunished.See the Leinster Final 2008 when Whelan was elbowed in the face. right in front of him on the sideline.

You'd hate to think that your team might be costed a win over something like that much the same as the controversial hand-pass rule that you know cost Kerry a goal against Down last year.

I can't vouch for Kerry v Cork match but thats how Cork sneak wins a lot of time.When you have an attacking team like Cork,its often the case that teams will concede a lot of frees but in relation to the original post re: referees costin Kerry the 2 games,Kerry were certainly beaten by a fired up Dublin team who were full value for the win.

Kerry were certainly beaten by a fired up Dublin team who were full value for the win.

Didn't doubt that atall - even if the ref was at fault the way I see it is it's the league - better to lose to Dublin here than in the Championship :pac:

Blaming the referee is never the right road to take though imo unless they do something completely absurd like Meath vs. Louth last year!

Didn't doubt that atall - even if the ref was at fault the way I see it is it's the league - better to lose to Dublin here than in the Championship :pac:

Blaming the referee is never the right road to take though imo unless they do something completely absurd like Meath vs. Louth last year!

I think the days of an assured Kerry victory over Dublin in any competition are gone.The wheels have come off your cute Kerry hoorism trick.;) Still wouldn't write you off by a long shot.Kerry in transition are still a huge force.

As for the referee,the blame comes with the territory.The scapegoat if you will.No player or fan likes to admit their team wasn't good enough but things like Sluddengate often typify or symbolise a whole season.Instead of talking about Cork winning the All Ireland,the only nice thing arising from Sluddengate is that it completely overshadows the All Ireland winners.:)

I think the days of an assured Kerry victory over Dublin in any competition are gone.The wheels have come off your cute Kerry hoorism trick.;) Still wouldn't write you off by a long shot.Kerry in transition are still a huge force.

As for the referee,the blame comes with the territory.The scapegoat if you will.No player or fan likes to admit their team wasn't good enough but things like Sluddengate often typify or symbolise a whole season.Instead of talking about Cork winning the All Ireland,the only nice thing arising from Sluddengate is that it completely overshadows the All Ireland winners.:)

I had completely forgotten about sluddengate - but thanks for reminding me that Cork are All Ireland Football Champions. It's nice to think back to September when Cork lifted Sam to become All Ireland Football Champions. I am looking forward to seeing if Cork can remain as All Ireland Football Champions. Cork winning the All Ireland Football Championship was fantastic and hopefully, as All Ireland Football Champions, we will win Sam again to remain as All Ireland Football Champions. I am looking forward to seeing if Cork can remain as All Ireland Football Champions. Cork winning the All Ireland Football Championship was fantastic and hopefully, as All Ireland Football Champions, we will win Sam again to remain as All Ireland Football Champions. I am looking forward to seeing if Cork can remain as All Ireland Football Champions. Cork winning the All Ireland Football Championship was fantastic and hopefully, as All Ireland Football Champions, we will win Sam again to remain as All Ireland Football Champions.
    Cork Are All Ireland Football Champions - I'd hate to think of 'something' overshadowing that;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I had completely forgotten about sluddengate - but thanks for reminding me that Cork are All Ireland Football Champions. It's nice to think back to September when Cork lifted Sam to become All Ireland Football Champions. I am looking forward to seeing if Cork can remain as All Ireland Football Champions. Cork winning the All Ireland Football Championship was fantastic and hopefully, as All Ireland Football Champions, we will win Sam again to remain as All Ireland Football Champions. I am looking forward to seeing if Cork can remain as All Ireland Football Champions. Cork winning the All Ireland Football Championship was fantastic and hopefully, as All Ireland Football Champions, we will win Sam again to remain as All Ireland Football Champions. I am looking forward to seeing if Cork can remain as All Ireland Football Champions. Cork winning the All Ireland Football Championship was fantastic and hopefully, as All Ireland Football Champions, we will win Sam again to remain as All Ireland Football Champions.
    Cork Are All Ireland Football Champions - I'd hate to think of 'something' overshadowing that;)
    I know one thing that overshadows that... 36 Senior All Irelands

1903, 1904, 1909, 1913, 1914, 1924, 1926, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1937, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1946, 1953, 1955, 1959, 1962, 1969, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement