Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm sure Mahony fanboys would be well able to come up with an excuse as to why he had to take over for Enright when Enright strayed off the man he was sent out to mark because of his pace, leaving Mahony stranded on a guy he was never supposed to be marking and didn't have the pace for.

Well I'm clearly wasting my time here anyway...you clearly don't know the game very well or just didn't watch this one in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well I'm clearly wasting my time here anyway...you clearly don't know the game very well or just didn't watch this one in detail.

Or just has a different opinion to yours, get over it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well I'm clearly wasting my time here anyway...If you think so......Slán
    you clearly don't know the game very well ...a strange conclusion
    or just didn't watch this one in detail ...people can have a different opinion to yours you know.....nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's sort of funny, since I remember trying to talk you out of backing Kerry u-21s against Cork on Irish Poker Boards a couple of months ago after we'd both been to see them play Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds.

You thought they'd played great, I thought they'd been abject.

I don't need to remind you how that turned out do I?

EDIT: Yep - lol at my inferior football knowledge obv

Have a treble on Dublin 4/9 (should beat Down in Croker), Clare 6/5 (coming off a good win and against Fermanagh who are missing 10 players) and Kerry U-21s @11/8 (underdogs owing to Cork hammering Tipp,but despite bias, I think this is a great bet)
    Keane wrote: »
    Kerry U-21s were very unimpressive against Limerick fwiw.
    Unimpressive? I wouldn't say that now...took time to get into their stride, but 3-15 when you throw in a missed penalty and they ease off when game is over halfway through the 2nd half...There's not a hope in hell that Cork backline (4 of last years minors in it) will contain the Kerry forward line to any large degree, plus Kerry's best forward Barry John Keane will be back for the final, so like i said, I'll be taking the 11/8 on.
    Did you see the game?

Limerick were terrible, they had no midfielders and their only decent forwards spent most of their time looking for ball in their own half back line.

Kerry's forwards were very, very average. Barry John Walsh was decent and the guy playing wing-forward from Legion was good as well. The rest of them were pretty poor. Some of the kicking was atrocious, and I'd be very surprised if Cork's backs were as bad as Limerick's.

I know all about Barry John Keane since he's my first cousin ;)

EDIT: Kerry definitely didn't ease of in the last quarter, that's when they tacked on most of their scores.
    I just spoke to BJK, and he's pretty circumspect about their chances.

Barry John Walsh could be injured for it, which as he puts it himself "would be a big blow".

They could still win obv, BJK should be close to unmarkable at u21 level, I'm just advising not to let the scoreline against Limerick sway you because it wasn't a great (even a good) performance by any stretch.
    Yes, I was at the game, i thought O'Brien and the other wing forwrd Fitzgerald weren't great, but O'Brien has potential to improve and has been in great form this year for Kenmare & UCC. You havent mentioned Paul Geaney either...2-5? He's had better games but he is in good form and high on confidence. BJ Walsh was sluggish, but once he got going was better than ive seen him in a while, he would be a big loss if he's out. Daithi Casey was good out the field, kind of the sacrificial lamb in that respect as he's better close to goal, but i suspect this was in preparation for the Cork game. Look, these games are not to be judged face up, only on the period after the team really get going, they will always be a lot more tuned in for the next game and will have more work done....that being said, it does bring me to one drawback, the manager is someone I have no faith in tactically....I seem to remember him having little faith in your cousin as a minor for example, and look at him now!

Still feel they can do it if they don't let Cork get 60%+ at midfield...

That's sort of funny, since I remember trying to talk you out of backing Kerry u-21s against Cork on Irish Poker Boards a couple of months ago after we'd both been to see them play Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds.

You thought they'd played great, I thought they'd been abject.

I don't need to remind you how that turned out do I?

EDIT: Yep - lol at my inferior football knowledge obv

Yep, I was way off there, but if you look at the likes James O'Donoghue (good cameo on sunday) Barry John Keane, Daithi Casey, Paul Geaney, who have all played Kerry Senior and should have been our strongest..all of whom disappeared on the night then we were never going to win...

Now if you think I'm wrong on the points I made about Kerrigans 2nd half scores on Sunday then say so...my incorrect predictions on an underage game from months back is irrelevant to that discussion.

• Advertisement

I already did - I'm just loling at the irony of you and your "superior football knowledge".

Go fuck yourself tbh.

I already did - I'm just loling at the irony of you and your "superior football knowledge".

Go fuck yourself tbh.

Never claimed to be an expert in any post. I made observations on Kerrigans scores last Sunday that in my opinion stand up to scrutiny..you seemed to disregard or ignore them, blandly asserting that Kerrigan got 1-3 (?) and that was simply a roasting....I'm "loling" at the simplicity of that "analysis", tbh..but couldn't be ar5ed debating this point further than that.

Never claimed to be an expert in any post. I made observations on Kerrigans scores last Sunday that in my opinion stand up to scrutiny..you seemed to disregard or ignore them, blandly asserting that Kerrigan got 1-3 (?) and that was simply a roasting....I'm "loling" at the simplicity of that "analysis", tbh..but couldn't be ar5ed debating this point further than that.

While you never claimed to be an expert - the part in bold didn't exactly boster any point you made on the thread and reeked of football snobbery

It's a discussion thread - not everybody has to think the same way or be persuaded into doing so

You're clearly a bigger fan of Enright than most for whatever reason. Tbh, the best bet in these sort of situations is not responding about someone you’ve got an emotional investment in because it turns you into a drooler.

See for example where I refrained from commenting on your "Keane exposed" comment because he's my cousin and I wouldn't be arguing from an even kilter.

Enright had a great first half, but Kerrigan ruined him in the second.

This thing of one of the points being during a temporary switch with AOM is just lol.

Did the management decide on this 15 second switch or was it just as the result of Cork’s forwards movement running Kerry’s backs ragged? Enright was sent out to mark Kerrigan because he can match him for pace. AOM clearly can’t. If Enright gets befuddled by the oppositions movement to the point that someone ends up taking over his man who is clearly not set up to mark him effectively then he’s not done his job properly in that instance.

Never mind the scores anyway, the amount of ball he played in the second half would be enough on its own, never mind the three points from play (should have been 1-2) and winning the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Go fuck yourself tbh.

Banned. I don't care what you're debating about, comments like that are completely unacceptable.

• Advertisement

You're clearly a bigger fan of Enright than most for whatever reason. Tbh, the best bet in these sort of situations is not responding about someone you’ve got an emotional investment in because it turns you into a drooler.

See for example where I refrained from commenting on your "Keane exposed" comment because he's my cousin and I wouldn't be arguing from an even kilter.

Enright had a great first half, but Kerrigan ruined him in the second.

This thing of one of the points being during a temporary switch with AOM is just lol.

Did the management decide on this 15 second switch or was it just as the result of Cork’s forwards movement running Kerry’s backs ragged? Enright was sent out to mark Kerrigan because he can match him for pace. AOM clearly can’t. If Enright gets befuddled by the oppositions movement to the point that someone ends up taking over his man who is clearly not set up to mark him effectively then he’s not done his job properly in that instance.

Never mind the scores anyway, the amount of ball he played in the second half would be enough on its own, never mind the three points from play (should have been 1-2) and winning the penalty.

This is getting silly now, i mean the bold bit above..Anyone who has played the game knows that defenders often switch if one is in a better position to cover the others man, depending on where the danger is greatest. Its a split-second thing and very much depends on the situation and the players awareness of it.
    In this case at 45 mins 40 seconds on the clock Aidan Walsh handpasses forward to Kerrigan 60 yards from Kerry goal on the terrace side. Walsh keeps moving and is heading on the overlap for an acre of space and its clear Mahony won't get near him..to be fair Aidan O'Mahony realises this and checks to take Kerrigan who has moved towards him, Enright fades left to cover Walsh. Kerrigan evades O'Mahony and goes through to kick a good score.
    Moreover, you claim the amount of ball Kerrigan played in the 2nd half apart from his scores was significant. The footage doesn't back this up. There were 4 contestable balls played to Kerrigan/Enright in 2nd half, they won 2 each.
    37 mins - Won by Kerrigan,laid off to O'Neill
    38 min - A minute later Enright knocks the ball away from Kerrigan
    45th minute - Kerrigan wins ball in the incident described in detail
    60th minute - Aidan Walsh plays a pass up the terrace side towards Kerrigan, but Enright beats him to the punch and knocks it away..but he injures himself in the process and falls to the ground..Kerrigan picks up the ball and unattended goes through and scores.

Also in the 50th min, Goulding blocked shot ricochets right into Kerrigans hands and he kicks a good point. Not contestable ball,but a lucky bounce..well finished though.
    In the 54th minute Pearse O'Neill is put through on goal with only keeper to beat..Enright correctly goes to block him and he slips the ball to Kerrigan,his shot is blocked,but leads to the penalty when Marc touches it in small square.
    This equates to 50/50 result in terms of possession won and 0-2 scored in the 1 on 1 contest.
    Those aren't opinions, they are observed facts. In my opinion, this constitutes nothing like the "ruining" you have suggested.

Look, I didn't mean to jump on you specifically, I just hate when lazy analyses and statements like "oh you're man destroyed him" get thrown out there and people start accepting them as fact..and by the way, the Keane exposed comment was a joke (initially at least) at your expense...reading back,I didn't exactly make it clear though,sorry.

Ah crap...Daysha,you couldn't leave that slide (or at least be lenient enough)..its just 2 Kerrymen getting worked up about football,no offence taken on my part anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Who do ye guys fancy for the Club Football Championship?With the two favourites Crokes and South Kerry playing each other who has an outside chance worth a few quid to gamble on?Im liking Mid Kerry at 9/1.Link:http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/kerry-senior-football-cship?ev_oc_grp_ids=53478

Who do ye guys fancy for the Club Football Championship?With the two favourites Crokes and South Kerry playing each other who has an outside chance worth a few quid to gamble on?Im liking Mid Kerry at 9/1.Link:http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/kerry-senior-football-cship?ev_oc_grp_ids=53478

Mid Kerry will be hard put to come out of Listowel with a win on sunday..Paul Galvin could be crucial if he plays but Feale Rangers may be too strong in any case. Whoever wins that game would fancy themselves to go far given that either Sth Kerry or Crokes will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Think the draw went well for us, a good game against limerick to bed us back in to in. Looks like its gonna be kerry v dublin or kildare in the final, im slightly leaning towards dublin to get to the final. Would be a dream final for both sets of supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

And they have to bring us all to Dublin don't they. Semple or Pairc ui chiomh would have been ideal:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

liam7831 wrote: »
    Think the draw went well for us, a good game against limerick to bed us back in to in. Looks like its gonna be kerry v dublin or kildare in the final, im slightly leaning towards dublin to get to the final. Would be a dream final for both sets of supporters.

Your sure of yourself. What about Cork or Donegal?

teednab-el wrote: »
    Your sure of yourself. What about Cork or Donegal?

Ya .... what about cork or donegal???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Cork or Donegal might be in the final too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

margio wrote: »
    And they have to bring us all to Dublin don't they. Semple or Pairc ui chiomh would have been ideal:mad:

I think that Killarney or Cork would suit Limerick better as Kerry nearly play more championship games in Croker than Killarney. I don't think it would have been fair to deny Limerick supporters the chance to see Limerick play championship football in Croke park for the first time ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Last year it was..... what about Down? :D

Not sure what to make of the draw itself - might head up to the game in Croker if it's a double header - any details on this yet??

I hope it's a tough game for Kerry tbh - we'll need to be sharp against Cork who were hell'a'impressive against Down.

I think Kildare will make the final on the other side, McGeeney has them well drilled and they're a team with great potential.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of the draw itself - might head up to the game in Croker if it's a double header - any details on this yet??

I hope it's a tough game for Kerry tbh - we'll need to be sharp against Cork who were hell'a'impressive against Down.

I think Kildare will make the final on the other side, McGeeney has them well drilled and they're a team with great potential.

Sunday July 31st, 2011
    • 2 00 PM

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2011 Quarter Final
      Kerry vs. Limerick
    • Páirc an Chrócaigh

Referee: Pat Mc Enaney
      Extratime playable
    • 4 00 PM
    • GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2011 Quarter Final
      Mayo vs. Cork
      Páirc an Chrócaigh

Referee: Rory Hickey
      Extratime playable

Won't head I'd say, have a game Friday would love if twas on a Saturday could head up and stay with some mates....I'll see yet though :)

PaulieC wrote: »
    Won't head I'd say, have a game Friday would love if twas on a Saturday could head up and stay with some mates....I'll see yet though :)

No room at the inn.

No room at the inn.
    I said I'd be staying with mates :pac:

Any interest in going to it, should get tickets handy enough I'd say

RTE 1 22;40 Tonight, oh what a ledge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Great win for Kerry.

It always amazes me the hype that surrounds these games. Kerry have been there practically every year. Mayo sprinkle in a few players and have one good result against a Cork team that obviously have a hangover from the win last year and suddenly they were in with a chance.

Gooch's goal was sublime, he went up and won that ball with one thing on his mind, not many players would have the ability or the balls to close out a game like that.

Tom O Sullivan is one of the unsung hero's. He was immense yesterday- as was Marc O Shea who was everywhere and Thomas who made a few runs and probably outscored his man as usual.

I think Kerry will win it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would be jacks greatest achievement to date and that takes some doing. to win an all ireland without half the side in 2009 with mccarthy, darragh o shea, diarmuid murphy, walsh and tadgh all gone with thomas/galvin/scanlon/griffan missing half the year, would be incredible for him.

and sure, in 2004-2006 we lost another 5 or 6 top class players like mccarthy (came back), seamus, darragh o cinnede, mike frank, eamon fitz and a few more.

also, seeing tipp getting to the minor final makes me feel better about our youth set up, delighted for them and hope they win it. i know we have won no all ireland in 17 years at minor level, but the team that normally beats us goes on to the all ireland final at least...our minors are always in the top 3 in the country with last year perhaps an exception. this years team could have done serious damage, had they not blown an 11 point lead v Tipp, which is unforgiveable, but this is a serioua Tipp team.

and just one last thing on Jack, 6 years, 5 all ireland finals. add in then about 7 munster/league finals and that is some record. the man is as good as they come. it is a pity we have only played tyrone once during those 6 years, jack rarely gets caught twice and if we had him in charge in 08, he would have done enough to get us over the line against them, i have no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Jack O' Connor is a serious manager alright. Up there with Mickey Harte as the top manager of this era.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement