Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm assuming he was in good form for Mid Kerry in getting to the County Final but I hadn't heard that his form was worthy of being called back into the squad.

The next few years should be used to blood in fresh young talent imo - we've had a golden generation of forwards with Cooper, Declan, Galvin etc. - they're not going to be around forever and more league games for James O'Donoghue, BJK, Dathaí Casey in order to help them gain inter-county experience is what's required from now on.

Would've though this is what Jack was trying to achieve with a young-ish bench last season but this move makes little sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My old man told me he was taken off with ten or fifteen minutes to go in the county final and was hopeless during it.

It's pretty funny because he's a player we always used to disagree about, my dad thought he was pretty good because of his pace and whatnot, I always thought he was pretty shit because of everything besides his pace. Watching the County Final the old fella admits to thinking "maybe David was right", then boom back on the county team!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think this move is a kick in the teeth to fellas who have had a good County League and might have had thoughts of being called up to the County panel for training to see if they could cut it,remember David O Callaghan a few years back,he had a good NFL for us but then disappeared off the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think this move is a kick in the teeth to fellas who have had a good County League and might have had thoughts of being called up to the County panel for training to see if they could cut it,remember David O Callaghan a few years back,he had a good NFL for us but then disappeared off the panel

David was up here in Dublin last time I was talking to him, he's probably not available.

keane2097 wrote: »
    My old man told me he was taken off with ten or fifteen minutes to go in the county final and was hopeless during it.

It's pretty funny because he's a player we always used to disagree about, my dad thought he was pretty good because of his pace and whatnot, I always thought he was pretty shit because of everything besides his pace. Watching the County Final the old fella admits to thinking "maybe David was right", then boom back on the county team!
    What was you aul man doing at that game man? :pac:

I think the thing about SOS which is doing him a disservice - he had bags of pace but a good engine on him too - he worked hard up and down the field and usually pitched in with a point or two - that was a few years ago before he started to go off the boil a little (imo)

I think he's alright but there's players of better ability out there now who also have youth on their side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well folks, just looking for any info on Dromid Pearses, My own club are playing them in hte munster junior A football final on Sunday week I would imagine they would be very strong with Declan O'Sullivan the obvious threat, I'm pretty sure I have heard of Niall O'Se aswell, any other players of note?

Where would they rank say in comparison with St Mary's Caherciveen last year who were miles ahead of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Well folks, just looking for any info on Dromid Pearses, My own club are playing them in hte munster junior A football final on Sunday week I would imagine they would be very strong with Declan O'Sullivan the obvious threat, I'm pretty sure I have heard of Niall O'Se aswell, any other players of note?

Where would they rank say in comparison with St Mary's Caherciveen last year who were miles ahead of everyone else.

they live, breed and s*it football down that part of the country. St Marys would be better than them, but St Marys won the intermediate no?

this time if year, anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

There really isnt much between any of the South Kerry clubs,they all play the same brand of football,Dromid finished mid table in Division 3 of the county league,they will be all out to repeat the success of their neighbours Skellig Rangers and St Marys,who both have won Munster Junior club title in recent years,the cup seems to have a full time home in Kerry

There really isnt much between any of the South Kerry clubs,they all play the same brand of football,Dromid finished mid table in Division 3 of the county league,they will be all out to repeat the success of their neighbours Skellig Rangers and St Marys,who both have won Munster Junior club title in recent years,the cup seems to have a full time home in Kerry

see, in theory every club in kerry is senior. you can have a team playing in division one of the county league playing against crokes on a saturday and then playing in the junior county championship the following week.

its a bit unbalanced, but probably is a sign of how strong things are.

see, in theory every club in kerry is senior. you can have a team playing in division one of the county league playing against crokes on a saturday and then playing in the junior county championship the following week.

its a bit unbalanced, but probably is a sign of how strong things are.
    I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation there - Div.1 seems to be mainly senior teams with one or two Intermediates.

Division two is mainly Intermediate and from there down it's predominantly junior.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation there - Div.1 seems to be mainly senior teams with one or two Intermediates.

Division two is mainly Intermediate and from there down it's predominantly junior.

of course you can be right, but if you look at it, the set up in kerry is like no other.

Tarbert were in division 1 two years ago (promoted to division 2 last weekend) and are still junior.

ardfert were this example also and werent dromid division 1 or 2 a few years back? also, beale were an example 4 or 5 years ago. and i am sure theres a few more examples.

you also have the reverse, with mitchels division 3 for years as a senior team.

so i guess my point essentially is that you can be a "junior' club in terms of the county club championship but in essence you are a senior club as you can play the top clubs in the county on an given sunday.

the reason behind it is that all clubs play in the senior county league and all the local leagues and championships are senior. you could play a junior b(novice) game on one weekened and play the crokes the following weekend in the east kerry league or championship. its not that inconveivable that a team hasa good 3 year period, gains 3 promotions and are up to division 1 or 2. however, with the main focus on the senior league, the junior championship often is not the main focus and clubs get caught in semis or finals and get stuck at the same grade. thats what happened tarbert, though ardfert ended up winning both the junior and intermediate in the space of 2 years, while getting promoted 3 teams also.

theres only 4 or 5 real junior clubs in kerry, the other 70 odd are realistically senior. sure the finuge team that won the all ireland junior were good enough to be senior in kerry around that time, they had 5 lads with all ireland senior medals (galvin, fitzm, enda galvin, the 2 corridans) and then another 6 or 7 lads with Kerry Minor and U-21 experience.

they came within a point of winning the intermediate final the year after and ive ever confidence they would have won the all ireland again that year, a feat ardfert then went on to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Would be nice to see the ballyduff hurlers when the intermediate Munster final in Newcastlewest today , would be good for hurling in the county.

ballyduff lose and croke and milltown win....

so mixed day overall. gutted for ballyduff, but lets hope we are on for the club munster and all ireland treble in the football:)

crokes are definataly good enough to win the all ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

You think so?

They played a team who hadnt had a competitive game in 7 weeks.

You think so?

They played a team who hadnt had a competitive game in 7 weeks.

and??? the more the fault of the clare county board than anything else, crokes beat them and thats that, no excuses.

and are you telling me, no football has been played in clare over the past 7 weeks?

my club in kerry has had 5 games in the last 7 weeks.

the crokes are class.

and??? the more the fault of the clare county board than anything else, crokes beat them and thats that, no excuses.

and are you telling me, no football has been played in clare over the past 7 weeks?

my club in kerry has had 5 games in the last 7 weeks.

the crokes are class.

Calm down man.

just having a discussion and passing a comment. KIB played their county final 5 weeks ago,but it was a cakewalk for them,their last competitive game was in the semi county final 2 weeks previous.

I thought Midwest Kerry were a better team than crokes,but they lost! for long stages today Crokes were trailing KIB but the Clare team lost,and im still not impressed by Crokes.

The crokes are class? be serious:(

Calm down man.

just having a discussion and passing a comment. KIB played their county final 5 weeks ago,but it was a cakewalk for them,their last competitive game was in the semi county final 2 weeks previous.

I thought Midwest Kerry were a better team than crokes,but they lost! for long stages today Crokes were trailing KIB but the Clare team lost,and im still not impressed by Crokes.

The crokes are class? be serious:(

yes, they are class, 5 Kerry seniors and a host of players who have Kerry Minor and U21 experience. best club side in kerry in a long long time. robbed of the all ireland club in 2006, beaten by a point in munster final last year after being 13 points down. they have the best footballer in the country and he didnt even get going today for about 50 minutes.

so its 5 weeks now and not 7, right how can we take you seriously when your talking porkies? what difference does it make when their last game was? id be pretty sure theyve been kept very busy since then by kennedy.

Mid Kerry are a divisional team, so they cannot represent Kerry.

yes, they are class, 5 Kerry seniors and a host of players who have Kerry Minor and U21 experience. best club side in kerry in a long long time. robbed of the all ireland club in 2006, beaten by a point in munster final last year after being 13 points down. they have the best footballer in the country and he didnt even get going today for about 50 minutes.

so its 5 weeks now and not 7, right how can we take you seriously when your talking porkies? what difference does it make when their last game was? id be pretty sure theyve been kept very busy since then by kennedy.

Mid Kerry are a divisional team, so they cannot represent Kerry.
    the word i keep using is competitive!!!!!!!!! nobody in clare would say the county final was competitive.

im not even going to bother replying to the rest of the rant,the best footballer in the country?:)

well done the crokes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ballyduff lose and croke and milltown win....

so mixed day overall. gutted for ballyduff, but lets hope we are on for the club munster and all ireland treble in the football:)

After seeing them today, I wouldn't be too sure. They did well to win it in the end though. After seeing UCC - and their scoreline today - I would be surprised if Crokes come out of munster, let alone win the all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Referee Today in the Crokes game was a disgrace.

Gave every Crokes forward bar Looney a YC today!

Sent Casey off when the KIB player grabbed his hand and dived to the ground.

Kilmurray dived, punched and kicked all day.

No affiliation to the Crokes, but I was livid watching the game today.

Gooch got a yellow card after he was fouled, pucked in the head, and dragged along the ground.

Likewise, Kieran O'Leary got a yellow card after being fouled off the ball.

Referee wanted center stage for himself and ruined the game.

• Advertisement

the best footballer in the country?:)

a young lad by the name of colm cooper, 4 all ireland medals, 7 all stars and a bag load more honours. will probably be the top scorer of all time in gaa.

in 4 years time, could well be considered the best footballer of all time. disagree?

your entitled to your opinion.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Gooch got a yellow card after he was fouled, pucked in the head, and dragged along the ground.

what did the KIB player do to be sent off. the replay never showed it and i thnk the commentators said " its not good to see that type of thing going on".

did he throw a belt or where they talking about the ref maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

in 4 years time, could well be considered the best footballer of all time. disagree?

If Colm Cooper hung up his boots tomorrow I have no doubt he is the best footballer of all time and he is not some dead legend, we should all be grateful to be able witness his sheer brilliance in our time. A living legend and the greatest ever.

DDC1990 wrote: »

So you think Casey didnt try to pull the head off the KIB player? :rolleyes:

i have the game recorded and watched the incident again, i suggest you watch it again,as for Cooper getting pucked in the head... he was pulled about 2/3 feet along the ground by his hand...... he got booked for his part in that shmozzle, Calling the ref a disgrace is well out of order.

Enda coghlan got sent off with 4 mins to go for attempting to strike a player on the ground,he deserved to go

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

what did the KIB player do to be sent off. the replay never showed it and i thnk the commentators said " its not good to see that type of thing going on".

did he throw a belt or where they talking about the ref maybe?
    Threw a belt into the Crokes player. Deserved it. Aodán mcGearailt commentating missed it.

@UserFreindly Caseys first tackle was high, and possibly deserved a yellow, but the second one he was challenging for the ball over the KIB players shoulder. He grabbed Caseys hand and threw the legs back. I'll watch it again when TG4 put it up, but after seeing the replay at the time I was appalled, that a young fellah trying to play the game, was sent off for an honest tackle. It was a barely a foul not a mind a Yellow.

Lads couldn't put in a tackle for the amount of Diving that was going on. Yet Killmurray weren't short on putting in a few questionable tackles. The KIB player who was stretchered off, injured himself flying recklessly into a Crokes Player (Kennelly I think) who was going down on the ball.

Im not going to claim Im neutral because Im from Kerry, but I have no Grá for Crokes, or no reason to blindly defend them. As for Cooper, I suggest you watch it again as well.
    He got a nice few clips around the head for his troubles, as well as being dragged along the ground.

The Referee was a disgrace in my opinion. He handled the game very poorly from start to finish. He handed out Cards like confetti, and would have had the "whole set" of Crokes Forwards, only for Looney not being in the game enough to get on the ball not a mind get a Yellow. This lead to the game being scrappy and a lot of gamesmanship, looking to get lads sent off. He had no control over the game, and needlessly whistled all day.

It ruined what could have been a great match, with KIB kicking some of the best scores i've seen in Killarney. 45m out, Center Back Storming up to score, long range frees. They had the full set. Serious outfit. But unfortunatly stooped to a level today that they didn't need to, with some of their shenanigans.

Thats my side, like it or lump it. I dont expect anyone to fall into line and agree with me. Everyone sees every game different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I guess Jack won't look beyond these guys for a league panel,Any other players you would throw in?

Brendan Kealy
    Tomas Mc An Staor
    Brian Kelly
    Padraig McCarthy

Killian Young
    Marc O Se
    Tom Sullivan

Eoin Brosnan
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Tomas O Se

Daniel Bohane
    Mike Maloney
    Shane Enright

Brian Maguire
    Peter Crowley
    Jonathan Lyne

Padraig Reidy
    Tommy Griffin
    Pa Kilkenny

Adrian O'Connell
    Luke Quinn
    Fionn Fitzgearld

Seamus Scanlon
    John Buckley
    Anthony Maher
    Ambrose O Donovan
    James Walsh
    Andrew Garnett

David Moran
    Brian Sheehan
    Tadgh Kennelly

Darran O Sullivan
    Declan O Sullivan
    Donnacha Walsh

Paul Galvin
    Colm Cooper
    Kieran Donaghy

Daithi Casey
    Sean O Sullivan
    James O'Donoghue

Barry John Keane
    Kieran O'Leary
    Niall O'Mahony

David Geaney
    Alan Fitzgerald
    JB Spillane

Paul Geaney
    Stephen O Brien
    Barry John Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I guess Jack won't look beyond these guys for a league panel,Any other players you would throw in?

Would Niall O Se from Dromid Pearses be anywhere near?? Was pretty impressed with him in the Munster Junior Club Final where himself and Declan O'Sullivan ran the show.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    After seeing them today, I wouldn't be too sure. They did well to win it in the end though. After seeing UCC - and their scoreline today - I would be surprised if Crokes come out of munster, let alone win the all ireland.

:D

the crokes have a score to settle after being robbed not once, but twice in 2006 v cross.

should be a great semi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

:D

the crokes have a score to settle after being robbed not once, but twice in 2006 v cross.

should be a great semi.

Third time lucky so for Crokes, or Cross will get the better of them.....again.....
    Cross to win ( undeservedly of course;)) in a replay.
    Really looking forward to seeing that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement