Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

Always performs eh? Did you watch the All Ireland final last September?!! Like I said, name one big game in Croke park he has "performed" even above average in? You can't, because no such game exists, now please desist with this silly line of debate.

yeah whatever. and Kennelly delivered in everygame, you haven't a clue. Kerry wouldn't be in half the all ireland's if it wern't for Walsh's workrate. There's more to the than scoring and stealing the limelight with their personal lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

What incident led to Quill's county career finishing before it started. The Narries bigging up their players is the biggest load of tripe I have read in a long while. In 07/08 cant remember which I remember BJW single-handedly putting it up to Galway or Mayo in a minor game and in 2009 people were calling for him to start the Cork replay. Similarly people were calling for BJK to start v Limerick in 2010 Munster Final and to be fair he hasn't let himself down in the county shirt yet. Dave Moran is roughly 23 now? That is an age similar to what Donaghy made it. Claims of Sean Walsh's son being what got Tommy Walsh and BJ Walsh a chance in a Kerry jersey do you agree Quirke and Hennessy (although never played a championship game) and Keane got there on merit? I'm from St. Pats BTW.

Just found this article,
    Take a bow, unsung heroes

By Liam Horan
    Saturday, August 20, 2011
    TYPICAL, no-one has ever bothered to pick the greatest team of (allegedly) under-rated players of all times in the games of the Gael.

To make this team, a candidate must be regularly described in dispatches as “not getting the full credit he deserves”.

No harm either if you can add “there is much more to his game than you realise”. And, in passing, a sly dig in the ribs to “the marquee names in the team who get all the headlines — but without this man, they’d be nothing”.

What matter that some of them have multiple All Stars and more All-Ireland medals than they could ever hope to count — once you enter the public consciousness as an underrated player, it’s almost impossible to get out of it, and we’re not in the mood to prompt an exodus. We’ve a team to pick, for God’s sake, and it’s hard enough to make 15 at the best of times.

I will almost certainly have left somebody out. Even unsung heroes have unsung heroes. Forgive us our dual trespasses, and the occasional All-Star style juxtaposition.
    UNSUNG HEROES: James McGarry (Kilkenny); Paudie Lynch (Kerry), Kevin Cahill (Mayo), Tony Scullion (Derry); Liam Doyle (Clare), Tommy Griffin (Kerry), Pat Holmes (Mayo); Seamus Scanlon (Kerry), Kalum King (Down); Donnacha Walsh (Kerry), Mark Poland (Down), BonnerMaher (Tipperary); Aidan Fogarty(Kilkenny), Martin Comerford (Kilkenny), John Egan (captain, Kerry) .

<A style="DISPLAY: block" class="addthis_counter addthis_pill_style addthis_nonzero">1

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ad1955913St1Sz711Sq4590705V0Id7.gif

TCH Group »Irish ExaminerSunday Bus. PostEvening EchoBreakingNews.ie-- -- --Roscommon HeraldWestern People-- -- --Carlow NationalistKildare NationalistLaois Nationalist-- -- --Gorey EchoNew Ross EchoEnniscorthy EchoWexford EchoWaterford News-- -- --WLR.FMBeat 102-103Red FM 104-106-- -- --RecruitIreland.comTCM

© Examiner Publications (Cork) Limited, City Quarter, Lapps Quay, Cork. Registered in Ireland: 73385.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/take-a-bow-unsung-heroes-164859.html#ixzz1jldwjhTJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

margio wrote: »
    yeah whatever. and Kennelly delivered in everygame, you haven't a clue. Kerry wouldn't be in half the all ireland's if it wern't for Walsh's workrate. There's more to the than scoring and stealing the limelight with their personal lives.

Good jeebus. Is there an ignore function on here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

To say Donnacha Walsh is not a vital part is laughable, HE's alot like Tommy Griffin both always give there all for Kerry but are always the ones to lose out.

No dount Kennelly played a huge part in the 2009 All Ireland win but it was hyped up alot by the media. I agree also it was abit unfair that he came back after 10 years away and just got his place on the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

lala88 wrote: »
    He didn't make the panel after minor he did in 2008 2 years after he was a minor. Hes been given a fair few chances in the half forward line and made little shape. The only good game i seen him play with the Dublin game he was his useal self in the other games.

Okay I don't know wtf is up with boards - but I replied to this earlier and just saw it isn't showing up on the thread :confused:

Not typing it all again, general gist was - Moran is an out and out midfielder in my eyes I think he's a poor wing forward - the reason he played so well against Dublin was down to him pulling out the field as a 3rd man in the middle.

On an aside - anybody who states Walsh isn't a huge asset to Kerry is wrong imo also - their backing up of this point by using a game where he was given 20mins before Jacko shat the pants and put on Galvin is hilarious.

Whoever made that ridiculous post - would you care to reference other games?

As somebody who plays as a half forward - Walshs displays agains Cork in the Munster final and Galway in the AI quarter final a few years ago were amongst the best displays by a wing forward I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

PaulieC wrote: »
    Okay I don't know wtf is up with boards - but I replied to this earlier and just saw it isn't showing up on the thread :confused:

Not typing it all again, general gist was - Moran is an out and out midfielder in my eyes I think he's a poor wing forward - the reason he played so well against Dublin was down to him pulling out the field as a 3rd man in the middle.

On an aside - anybody who states Walsh isn't a huge asset to Kerry is wrong imo also - their backing up of this point by using a game where he was given 20mins before Jacko shat the pants and put on Galvin is hilarious.

Whoever made that ridiculous post - would you care to reference other games?

As somebody who plays as a half forward - Walshs displays agains Cork in the Munster final and Galway in the AI quarter final a few years ago were amongst the best displays by a wing forward I've seen.

It was O'Leay not Walsh who was taken off for Galvin after 20 minutes. I agree with you on the importance of Walsh BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

paddy978 wrote: »
    It was O'Leay not Walsh who was taken off for Galvin after 20 minutes. I agree with you on the importance of Walsh BTW.

But is Walsh not likely to get shafted again with the re-appearance of Kennelly

But is Walsh not likely to get shafted again with the re-appearance of Kennelly

Unfortunately you are probably right

But thought Jack said he wa out of the picture cuz of his mooted role of AFL Academy work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's this "shafted" nonsense about?

There's nothing untoward about the best player getting picked.

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's this "shafted" nonsense about?

There's nothing untoward about the best player getting picked.

That i debatable. plenty others even taking Walsh out of the Question that can do the job better than Kennelly. He come back from OZ, and is automatically in the firt 15. Daithi Caey should be another one in the reckoning this year for a half forward slot.

You think it's debatable that the best players should be picked?

You think it's debatable that the best players should be picked?

No I think it's debatable that Kennelly is the best man for a position on the Kerry team. The best man should alway be picked, unless there is an alterior motive, like reserving them on the bench, like what they tried to do with Galvin last season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Such nonsense here. Kennelly is NOT coming back, he is staying in Oz. He's getting married this year (to his Australian fiancé)for heavens sake...he has a home and is making a living through media work etc in Oz. On 2009,Anyone who thinks he didn't deserve his place on the team when he was home is just jaundiced or bonkers in my view. I'm not sure how much more he could've done really.
    I've made my views on Donnacha quite clear, so won't repeat myself. Personally I would hope and pray that Galvin, Declan & Darran O'Sullivan all stay fit for the year, because if they do, THAT is our strongest half forward line by a distance. Barry John Keane would be the best impact sub after that, he may even start at 15 depending on form/opposition etc. James O'Donoghue is also a natural half-forward who I'd hope to see kick on from last year. Daithi Casey may come into the reckoning and young James Walsh was outstanding at wing forward last year for the Juniors aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Such nonsense here. Kennelly is NOT coming back, he is staying in Oz. He's getting married this year (to his Australian fiancé)for heavens sake...he has a home and is making a living through media work etc in Oz. On 2009,Anyone who thinks he didn't deserve his place on the team when he was home is just jaundiced or bonkers in my view. I'm not sure how much more he could've done really.
    I've made my views on Donnacha quite clear, so won't repeat myself. Personally I would hope and pray that Galvin, Declan & Darran O'Sullivan all stay fit for the year, because if they do, THAT is our strongest half forward line by a distance. Barry John Keane would be the best impact sub after that, he may even start at 15 depending on form/opposition etc. James O'Donoghue is also a natural half-forward who I'd hope to see kick on from last year. Daithi Casey may come into the reckoning and young James Walsh was outstanding at wing forward last year for the Juniors aswell.

I haven't seen anywhere that he's not coming back, that said i haven't seen anything saying he is coming back eather. He could change his mind and come back (something he's fairly good at!). I agree that there were otherrs who could have done just as good a job as he did in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

can we change the poll in the thread?

surely we need a new one at this stage or else a new thread!

that poll is 2 years old almost.

No I think it's debatable that Kennelly is the best man for a position on the Kerry team. The best man should alway be picked, unless there is an alterior motive, like reserving them on the bench, like what they tried to do with Galvin last season
    I get what yourself and Keane are saying but at the end of the day if Kennelly comes in and trains well then he deserves his spot over other panel members - that's how it works - you train well, you play. The best players start.

Would be all for Casey getting a run - himself and Crowley have been standout performers for UCC in their Munster run

Wildly misread somebody's posts if you thought I was agreeing with margio Paul.

Don't think Casey is going to make it fwiw, albeit based on a small enough sample of games.

• Advertisement

Don't think Casey is going to make it fwiw, albeit based on a small enough sample of games.

lol @ me - sent a couple of texts out sanity checking, I failed.

Apparently he's the next big thing, great to hear. Must try and get to see more of him.

Wildly misread somebody's posts if you thought I was agreeing with margio Paul.

Think you've misread my post - I'm agreeing with you that it's stupid to say that the best player doesn't start, Margios basically said in his last post that the best player training should start and nobody should be walking onto the team - I'm stating that this was the case with Kenelly last time around - he was playing good football, training very well from what I heard etc.

He has quite a lot of assets as a player - eye for goal, strength, good in the air, good engine also. I'd like to see him given a shot anyway. Thought we never saw the best of him at minor level for Kerry - he was in at 15 but was normally brought out as a 3rd man which imo didn't suit him - he needed to be midfield or centre forward in order to impact the game.

Genuinely think he could do a job for Kerry on the wing though.

lol @ me - sent a couple of texts out sanity checking, I failed.

Apparently he's the next big thing, great to hear. Must try and get to see more of him.
    My word should be enough :D

His minor team was pretty weak wasn't it? Maybe that's why I had it in my head that he wasn't great.

The lads who've played with him say he's serious quality, gotta respect their opinions.

Also, lol @ your word

His minor team was pretty weak wasn't it? Maybe that's why I had it in my head that he wasn't great.

The lads who've played with him say he's serious quality, gotta respect their opinions.

It wasn't the worst team - they had alot of skillful players - Fionn Fitzgerald, Jonathan Lyne, Peter Crowley, Jack Sherwood etc. were on the team - they were a bit light though in comparison with the team from the year before / two years before which had some huge men like Tommy Walsh, Dathaí O'Sé, Moran, Adrian Greaney etc.

Casey should have been in a central position in order to exert more of an influence on their games imo - felt he was wasted the way they lined up.

I can tell you it's harder to play against him than with him too :)
    Also, lol @ your word

GFYS :pac:

PaulieC wrote: »
    It wasn't the worst team - they had alot of skillful players - Fionn Fitzgerald, Jonathan Lyne, Peter Crowley, Jack Sherwood etc. were on the team - they were a bit light though in comparison with the team from the year before / two years before which had some huge men like Tommy Walsh, Dathaí O'Sé, Moran, Adrian Greaney etc.

Casey should have been in a central position in order to exert more of an influence on their games imo - felt he was wasted the way they lined up.

I can tell you it's harder to play against him than with him too :)

GFYS :pac:

Casey is a serious player, if Crokes go all the way to the top, Casey was the missing piece in the jigsaw, compared to 2007. But not all brilliant players make it, look as Stam from Spa. I could never figure out why Niall O'Mahoney was on the panel and Stam wan't. Another think I already mentioned that might hamper Casey' breakthrough this season is Crokes campaign in All Irelands. If the beat Cross then he wont be available until after St Pat's day.

Casey is a serious player, if Crokes go all the way to the top, Casey was the missing piece in the jigsaw, compared to 2007. But not all brilliant players make it, look as Stam from Spa. I could never figure out why Niall O'Mahoney was on the panel and Stam wan't. Another think I already mentioned that might hamper Casey' breakthrough this season is Crokes campaign in All Irelands. If the beat Cross then he wont be available until after St Pat's day.
    It is odd why Stam hasn't been brought in - he's a talented player who'd waltz onto a number of county teams. Niall had the season of his life two seasons ago and fully deserved his call up but Stam should be brought in imo

oh no I wan't implying that he shouldn't be there, but the first guy by a mile from pa that I would put on the Kerry team is stam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

I'm going out with a girl from Currow, and she drags me to all their games, and there is a lad that usually plays corner back by the name of dan o'sullivan. I think he is def worth a closer look, have any off yee ever came across him.He is the best man marker I have ever seen play the game. Currow i think play in Div 3 but they got to the o donoghue cup semi final, beating Spa in the first round and had a titanic battle against rathmore, which consisted of extra time and replays. So I got the chance to see this dan o'sullivan lad play against the bigger boys, and let me tell you he was supreme.He was like **** to a blanket, pardon my french. I was disapointed when they lost to rathmore because I would loved to have seen him mark gooch in the final

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement