Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eolaire

Galvin was immense - covered the whole pitch - was even on the goal line in the closing stages. Griffin was again in great from - very aggressive in the tackle while Maher had a powerful game - improving with each game. Thought Gooch is still not being used to the best of his ability... the high ball tactic is isolating him out of the game but once he's on the ball he's pure genius...

another set of pics at - http://www.stsenans.ie/photos.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

It was announced today that the league final will be going ahead at croker.
    But I checked there and they werent on sale online yet. Anyone know when they are going on sale??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mystic86 wrote: »
    It was announced today that the league final will be going ahead at croker.
    But I checked there and they werent on sale online yet. Anyone know when they are going on sale??

Yeah it will be a double-header in Croke Park with the tickets going on sale in the next week as far as I know. Keep an eye out on www.gaa.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

I'm new to boards.ie but it's great to see that Kerry football is being well represented :D.

I'm delighted that the NFL final is in croker, i think derry will give us a good test. The game we played earlier in the year against derry was a great game. if i remember correctly we were 4 points to no score down within 10 minutes and fought back well which is encouraging.

My only concern is that with 33 players used in the campaign a settled 15 is still a long way off.

Who marks an imposing full forward? what's our best midfield partnership? who takes the other wing forward slot(assuming PG is at 12).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My only concern is that with 33 players used in the campaign a settled 15 is still a long way off.

Who marks an imposing full forward? what's our best midfield partnership? who takes the other wing forward slot(assuming PG is at 12).

Surely it's better to have so many players vying for the 15 starting berths. At least now we have options. If, as you say, a team has an imposing full forward we might decide to play a particular backline to counter it, if on the other hand they have a knacky full forward line we might choose a different backline.

Same goes for every area of the pitch, depending on the midfield you're up against you might have Dara O'Sé and Scanlon, or you might have something completely different like Mike Quirke and Tadgh Kennelly.

Having a large, extremely competitive panel is what has made Kilkenny the dominant force they are over the last number of years. IMO, Jack O'Connor has recognised this and is trying to instigate a similar level of competition in Kerry. I sincerely hope he has the courage of his convictions and continues to foster intense competition within the panel throughout the year.

I see very few benefits to a player feeling he is comfortably assured his place within a "settled fifteen" tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im delighted with the league, we have new options now. fb is still a problem and im disappointed that bohane got no run there. however, its a man v man job, soo depends on who is in there against us. if its that beanpole from cork, then tommy griffan is the man to do it, meehan then it would be marc and so on.

my team -

murphy
    tom sul marc young
    thomas aidan griffan
    darragh d moran
    galvin declan tadhg
    gooch star darran

I see very few benefits to a player feeling he is comfortably assured his place within a "settled fifteen" tbh.[/quote]

I agree with you regarding the "few benefits" to an assured 15 but post a new topic on the kerry gaa forum or even here(!!), asking people to name their best kerry midfield for the championship ahead and you'll get 20 different responses all well justified. IMO thats not good considering we're facing Cork(who by then IMO will have probably won the u21 AI and the div.2 league) in our first championship match.

What i meant by my earlier comment is that i would like to have seen a foundation to the mending of our prior year flaws coming to the fore. ie
    (i) a plan b to the "twin tower" attack which kills me considering how good both donaghy and walsh are at winning ball played in front of em.
    (ii) an answer to who makes up the half forward line with Declan and PG, is it darren, tadgh, donnacha, Moran or Walsh
    (iii)Who completes the FF line with cooper and donaghy
    (iv)The full back isssue im more assured with, horses for courses seems to be the order of the day but i expect teams to exploit this mentality as well, ie they will rotate between a target man(joe bergin and a speed merchant meehan)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I see very few benefits to a player feeling he is comfortably assured his place within a "settled fifteen" tbh.

I agree with you regarding the "few benefits" to an assured 15 but post a new topic on the kerry gaa forum or even here(!!), asking people to name their best kerry midfield for the championship ahead and you'll get 20 different responses all well justified. IMO thats not good considering we're facing Cork(who by then IMO will have probably won the u21 AI and the div.2 league) in our first championship match.

What i meant by my earlier comment is that i would like to have seen a foundation to the mending of our prior year flaws coming to the fore. ie
    (i) a plan b to the "twin tower" attack which kills me considering how good both donaghy and walsh are at winning ball played in front of em.
    (ii) an answer to who makes up the half forward line with Declan and PG, is it darren, tadgh, donnacha, Moran or Walsh
    (iii)Who completes the FF line with cooper and donaghy
    (iv)The full back isssue im more assured with, horses for courses seems to be the order of the day but i expect teams to exploit this mentality as well, ie they will rotate between a target man(joe bergin and a speed merchant meehan)

Bizarre - none of the Cork Under-21 panel plays with the seniors, while Division 2 is a huge drop down in quality from Division 1. I doubt we will win either, nevermind both and against 'decent' competition this year we have only won one(Armagh), drew one (Kildare) and lost one badly (Monaghan).

Very simply, Kerry have nothing to worry about come munster championship time.

As for who will be full-forward, I have my doubts it will be Cussen - more likely to be Masters, Donnocha or as a longshot Aisake. Again, Conor goes into championship seemingly with little idea as to what his 'best' 15 is, particurly up front.

Orizio wrote: »
    Bizarre - none of the Cork Under-21 panel plays with the seniors, while Division 2 is a huge drop down in quality from Division 1. I doubt we will win either, nevermind both and against 'decent' competition this year we have only won one(Armagh), drew one (Kildare) and lost one badly (Monaghan).

As for who will be full-forward, I have my doubts it will be Cussen - more likely to be Masters, Donnocha or as a longshot Aisake. Again, Conor goes into championship seemingly with little idea as to what his 'best' 15 is, particurly up front.

I thought Cork's U21's were not being considered for Senior duty until their U21 campaign was over? Am i being fed more lies by my Corkonian "friends"!!?

regarding your "Very simply, Kerry have nothing to worry about come munster championship time." I've heard that before!!

I don't really agree with that. I think I could imagine a scenario with Kerry beating Cork by a large margin alright, but equally I could again see Cork raising their game and causing us all sorts of problems.

Tbh, last year I was repeatedly amazed at either how much better the Cork players were to what I had thought, or else to the level of mental weakness Kerry had through the ranks. There is a chance that this frailty (if it was that rather than Cork being better than I thought) will be eliminated this year by the heightened competition for places, but I wouldn't see it as a sure enough thing to say we won't be at all worried by Cork.
    As for who will be full-forward, I have my doubts it will be Cussen - more likely to be Masters, Donnocha or as a longshot Aisake.

I would certainly prefer (I mean "prefer" from a Cork point of view I guess) to see Masters in there instead of Cussen. I think Masters is a wonderfully talented footballer, an extremely clinical finisher who would be a danger every time the ball went in around the square.

Cussen on the other hand to me is just a lumbering plodder, causing problems for a defense mainly just by being awkward. I couldn't imagine Kerry not being prepared for his introduction or involvement this year the way they were last year, so I couldn't see him having any major impact.

Masters on the other hand is one of these players I think where you can have any amount of plans in the world for, but if he just turns up on the day in the right mood he's going to cause you major problems.
    Again, Conor goes into championship seemingly with little idea as to what his 'best' 15 is, particurly up front.

Would I be right in saying you seem to view this as a negative?

• Advertisement

I thought Cork's U21's were not being considered for Senior duty until their U21 campaign was over? Am i being fed more lies by my Corkonian "friends"!!?

I don't think thats it exactly - the squad has largely been finalised by this stage, its likely that instead Conor is waiting for lads to finish with the Under-21 grade completely before bringing them into the senior set up. I understand Aidan Walsh has agreed to go straight into the football seniors once he is finished with the Under-21s for example and presumebly other dual players like Colm O'Neill, Lorcan McLoughlin and Ciaran Sheehan (if he doesn't go to Australia) have come to similar verbal agreements so they don't play with the hurlers.

Indeed Cork Football is so 'strong' right now and the hurlers such a mess that all the most talented young lads are turning to the former before the latter, which is almost unheard of.

Still, none of the current Under-21 team would make the seniors in my opinion.
    regarding your "Very simply, Kerry have nothing to worry about come munster championship time." I've heard that before!!

Sure, and its been repeatedly been proven true. ;)

I would certainly prefer (I mean "prefer" from a Cork point of view I guess) to see Masters in there instead of Cussen. I think Masters is a wonderfully talented footballer, an extremely clinical finisher who would be a danger every time the ball went in around the square.

Cussen on the other hand to me is just a lumbering plodder, causing problems for a defense mainly just by being awkward. I couldn't imagine Kerry not being prepared for his introduction or involvement this year the way they were last year, so I couldn't see him having any major impact.

Masters on the other hand is one of these players I think where you can have any amount of plans in the world for, but if he just turns up on the day in the right mood he's going to cause you major problems.

Would I be right in saying you seem to view this as a negative?

Personally, I would prefer a full forward line of Goulding/Masters/O'Connor with Kerrigan on the 40 - get those four together on the pitch and there is enough pace and quality to potentially beat anyone.

The problem always with Cork has always been a matter of balance, and Counihan's tendency to play too many midfielders with too few scoring forwards (the likes of Cussen, O'Flynn and O'Neill are natural midfielders imo) to guarantee possession, to guarantee ball that we don't have the right type of players in the middle third to use.

My fear is that he will revert back to habit, be conservative and yet again fill our team with midfielders against Kerry - so Cussen at full-forward and no Kerrigan or even Masters starting, our only scoring forwards being in the corners. Yet again we will win more then average possession and use it in a typically mediocre uninspiring manner.

Hopefully, he will learn the lesson from the victory over Armagh and put out practically the same team for championship.

Tickets on sale tomorrow.

25 euro for adult, 10 for students, 5 for children. Terrace not being opened, stand only.

25 euro for adult, 10 for students, 5 for children. Terrace not being opened, stand only.

does anybody think that 25euro is too much for this? i thought 15 would be enough.

we are getting ripped off left, right and center.

I agree. It should have been 15. 20 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

does anybody think that 25euro is too much for this? i thought 15 would be enough.

we are getting ripped off left, right and center.
    I agree. It should have been 15. 20 max.

That is for 2 games, 25euro is not to bad IMO

wud be fair enough only i dont have a lot of interest in seeing the other game. i mean it wud be ok to see whos performing for cork etc for the munster championship but at the end of the day im only going to see one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

wud be fair enough only i dont have a lot of interest in seeing the other game. i mean it wud be ok to see whos performing for cork etc for the munster championship but at the end of the day im only going to see one game.

Well I am afraid that that is your problem then, not the GAA's. If it was on as a single header people would still complain.

Well if it was single match and the charge was 15 euro there would be no complaints here. also in terms of my problem not the gaa's...well they're not doing themselves any favours

Sounds reasonable enough considering its two games, I always feel under-18s should be free for all league matches though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Team for the final Predictions anyone?

I'd go for:

1. G. Reidy
    2. P. Reidy
    3. T. O'Sullivan
    4. K. Young
    5. T. Ó Sé
    6. AOM
    7. Tommy G
    8. David Moran
    9. A Maher
    10. P.Galvin
    11. Tommy W
    12. D Walsh
    13. Gooch
    14. K. Donnaghy
    15. Darren O'Sull

That said im missing: Dec O'Sull (awful game vs Galway)
    Scanlon/Quirke/Darragh - I picked MAher on League form, he's been superb!
    Aiden O'Shea/D. Bohane/Marc - Injured?
    D.Murphy - Reidy is on form you'd have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

stand tickets for last years league final were €30, so the GAA are reducing prices. and that was in parnell park, getting into croker for an inter-county final for 25 quid is money well spent, imo.

there will be two good matches on - over two hours entertainment for 25 euro is not bad at all. 25 quid wouldnt cover a night in teh pub, or a dvd, takeaway and few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Does anybody know how the Kerry minors got on tonight against Tipp??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Kerry Minors beat Tip 1-11 to 6 points I think

Eanna O'Connor got the goal

Kerry Minors beat Tip 1-11 to 6 points I think

Eanna O'Connor got the goal

1-11 to 1-6 in fact.

Tipperary got a goal at the death.

€10 for students...nice one! That student card i got a few months ago is coming in very handy!

I reckon there'll be good support from Monaghan and Derry, hopefully the dublin based kerry crew will turn out. There was a good crowd of kerry supporters in parnell park for the Dublin league match.

I am deighted it's on in Croke park, it's only right.

they should be doing "offers" for the final to entice people to go. familiy tickets for examples, 2 adults bring 2 kids free etc etc. and the hill should be open. maybe only open the hogan/cusack and then the hill.

im hoping to make this one, am in england that morning but should be back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jaysus, Eanna's in cracking form at the moment isn't he?
    Goal for Colásite na Sceilige last weekend, Goal aginst Tipp last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

they should be doing "offers" for the final to entice people to go.

ffs people shouldnt need to be "enticed" to go to an inter-county final and support their team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

they should be doing "offers" for the final to entice people to go. familiy tickets for examples, 2 adults bring 2 kids free etc etc. and the hill should be open. maybe only open the hogan/cusack and then the hill.

im hoping to make this one, am in england that morning but should be back in time.
    sam34 wrote: »
    ffs people shouldnt need to be "enticed" to go to an inter-county final and support their team.

no you're right sam34 people shouldn't need to be enticed to go but let's be honest, alot more families would travel if one were on offer. The tickets and the travel and what-ever-you're-having-yourself won't be long adding up and that could actually help sell more tickets. Who knows, they may have some offers on the day of the match if they have so many left over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement