Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

teednab-el wrote: »
    I do think if Kerry meet Tyrone or Kildare next week its curtains but as usual Kerry will get a nice team in the qualifiers to get them through and if they get to Croke park they will win the All Ireland.

Yeah you may very well be right. Tyrone are not great in the qualifiers though. It doesn't suit them usually. Reckon Kerry would deffo beat Kildare though, hope they do, I find Kildare to be a very boring team. They can play good at times, but in reality they're not a great side. No one knows with the qualifiers, Tipp beating Wexford today (delighted for Tipp by the way) John Evans now a free agent, put him in as Kerry trainer when Jack hopefully ****s off, and he would bring glory to the Kingdom, or even Micko, sher he can even bring useless boring teams to Croke park. Imagine what he could do with talented players at his disposal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Great to see everyone writing Kerry's obituary notes already, we will fly in under the radar nicely now. The fact of the matter is Kerry overlooked Westmeath, nearly got caught, but showed experience when we were down 6. These players, with so much won already find it difficult to motivate themselves for a game which they know they should win. I would say, 2, 3 at most Kerry players played well, Brosnan, Marc and Darran(even with the dodgy hamstring).

Kerry were written off in 09, as we spluttered through the qualifers, barely beating Sligo, Longford and Antrim. If Kerry get through these qualifiers I would be very confident of atleast contesting an ALL- IRELAND. The Dubs are overated, got a handy all ireland last year, which still rankers down here. Cork is the biggest threat, but that is for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

buyer95 wrote: »
    Great to see everyone writing Kerry's obituary notes already, we will fly in under the radar nicely now. The fact of the matter is Kerry overlooked Westmeath, nearly got caught, but showed experience when we were down 6. These players, with so much won already find it difficult to motivate themselves for a game which they know they should win. I would say, 2, 3 at most Kerry players played well, Brosnan, Marc and Darran(even with the dodgy hamstring).

Kerry were written off in 09, as we spluttered through the qualifers, barely beating Sligo, Longford and Antrim. If Kerry get through these qualifiers I would be very confident of atleast contesting an ALL- IRELAND. The Dubs are overated, got a handy all ireland last year, which still rankers down here. Cork is the biggest threat, but that is for another day.

Only thing about Kerry is and we are all aware of is that eventhough they are well capable of winning an All Ireland, they cant go to the well too offen, it worked in 2006 and 2009, but those Kerry teams from those years were far superior than the team of 2012. I wouldn't be surprised if they went out next time out but it really all depends on who they meet in qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well looks like Kerry are finished.

I was on the phone to Jack O C last Friday and he agreed that this team has is over the hill.

Very sad really.
    They will be remembered as an average team who garnered a little bit of success when Tyrone didn't perform.

It is very sad, very sad indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

margio wrote: »
    Yeah you may very well be right. Tyrone are not great in the qualifiers though. It doesn't suit them usually. Reckon Kerry would deffo beat Kildare though, hope they do, I find Kildare to be a very boring team. They can play good at times, but in reality they're not a great side. No one knows with the qualifiers, Tipp beating Wexford today (delighted for Tipp by the way) John Evans now a free agent, put him in as Kerry trainer when Jack hopefully ****s off, and he would bring glory to the Kingdom, or even Micko, sher he can even bring useless boring teams to Croke park. Imagine what he could do with talented players at his disposal

Johhny Evans is not a free agent, he is training Meath :)

• Advertisement

Johhny Evans is not a free agent, he is training Meath :)

send him home:mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

More a medium to long term question. Do Kerry have any/many players coming through who look like they'll replace those who are coming to the end of their inter county careers? Are Kerry people concerned by a lack of success at under-age or are there individual players ye are confident of developing and replacing those who'll inevitably retire? It'll be interesting to see how quick ye can bring through a new generation.

More a medium to long term question. Do Kerry have any/many players coming through who look like they'll replace those who are coming to the end of their inter county careers? Are Kerry people concerned by a lack of success at under-age or are there individual players ye are confident of developing and replacing those who'll inevitably retire? It'll be interesting to see how quick ye can bring through a new generation.

not one bit concerned. kerry haven't won a minor title since 1994, how many all irelands have we since? plenty of players, crowley enright, o'donoghue, bj keane, daithi casey. Another manager might be needed to ensure their talent isn't wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Well looks like Kerry are finished.

I was on the phone to Jack O C last Friday and he agreed that this team has is over the hill.

Very sad really.
    They will be remembered as an average team who garnered a little bit of success when Tyrone didn't perform.

Please indulge us further and explain how a lad from Malahide with a mullet was talking to Jack O Connor, two nights before a championship game.

Ahh boards, it makes you laugh sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Brendan Kealy 26
    Tomás Mac an tSaoir 23
    Brian Kelly 22

Séamus Scanlon 31
    Bryan Sheehan 27
    Anthony Maher 25
    Johnny Buckley 23

Tomás Ó Sé 34
    Eoin Brosnan 32
    Aidan O'Mahony 32
    Marc Ó Sé 32
    Daniel Bohan 29
    Killian Young 25
    Shane Enright 24
    Jonathan Lyne 23
    Peter Crowley 23
    Brian McGuire 23
    Fionn Fitzgerald 22

Paul Galvin 32
    Declan O'Sullivan 29
    Kieran Donaghy 29
    Colm Cooper 29
    Donnacha Walsh 28
    David O'Callaghan 26
    Darran O'Sullivan 26
    Kieran O'Leary 25
    Daithí Casey 23
    Mikey Geaney 23
    Patrick Curtin 23
    Barry John Keane 23
    James O'Donoghue 23

Even if you take out all of plus 30 there is still a lot of talent there I don't think there is a major worry.

Throw in David Moran at midfield 23/24 Personally I wouldn't discount Tommy Walsh returning at some stage. Still only 24

I think the issue is more with Jack O'Connor. There is a definite feeling that he isn't getting all he can out of this group.

It's worth remembering that for pretty much all teams that meet Kerry in the qualifiers its one of the biggest games they will ever play and they go in as underdogs with nothing to lose, so its not surprising if they up their performances, whereas for Kerry it's very much another day at the office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

not one bit concerned. kerry haven't won a minor title since 1994, how many all irelands have we since? plenty of players, crowley enright, o'donoghue, bj keane, daithi casey. Another manager might be needed to ensure their talent isn't wasted.

I'm not by any means trying to imply that Kerry are on the slide. Its great to be able to develop 2/3 players from minor U21 panels and nurture them to high quality footballers. Must be something in the water. :P

Personally I don't see Kerry winning an All Ireland this year, but of course if Kerry get to Croke Park they're dangerous. The standard isn't exactly as high as it was when Kerry and Tyrone were bossing things so you could never write Kerry off.

I'm not by any means trying to imply that Kerry are on the slide. Its great to be able to develop 2/3 players from minor U21 panels and nurture them to high quality footballers. Must be something in the water. :P

Personally I don't see Kerry winning an All Ireland this year, but of course if Kerry get to Croke Park they're dangerous. The standard isn't exactly as high as it was when Kerry and Tyrone were bossing things so you could never write Kerry off.
    Exactly:p, well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

Tyrone at home ,can kerry raise there game ,its a good draw for kerry, bring it on

kerryted wrote: »
    Tyrone at home ,can kerry raise there game ,its a good draw for kerry, bring it on
    Should be a cracking game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

PaulieC wrote: »
    Should be a cracking game :)

When will they announce time and date? (as opposed to the vague weekend).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I am dismayed with that draw!

We are not at a level that we can beat a team of Tyrone's quality yet.
    We needed a draw against a team like Letrim, like in 2009 where we were able to train through the qualifiers, without it taking much out of us.

Getting Tyrone means we are going to have to raise our game Tenfold, and peak this early in the championship.

Their quick handpassing and direct running through the middle is absolutly our weak point.
    Brosnan had a good game going forward but he cannot hold the middle well at all, and every team we have played this year has exploited it, from Tipp to Westmeath.

Westmeaths handpassing caused us problems, so I dread to think what Tyrones will do.

Their physicality around the middle will unsettle Sheahan and Maher, starving our forwards of possession.

Tyrone are strongest where Kerry are weakest.

I don't buy into this Kerry team being in decline because of age. I think we are in decline because the football we play doesn't suit the modern style, with packed defences, and quick handpassing. We like to kick the football, but we are swamped by sweepers and additional defenders. Then our forwards don't have the fitness or workrate to chase the backs up the field, which creates 2 on 1 situations, leading to easy scores inside the 45m line.

I think the era where Kerry can field so many natural footballers, like Declan, Darren, James O'Donaghue, Gooch, is gone. The days of having great individual footballers in defence like Killian Young and Tomás Ó Sé are gone.

Now you need 15 Athletes, who will run and run and run. You can "carry" one footballer up front who will score for you. Everyone else must buy into a defensive system, and you must hand pass. Every defender must be quick, strong and fit. If he can't kick a ball it doesn't matter a tap. His job and the 13 other "defenders" is to stop the opposition scoring, and handpass the ball to the forward who can score.

If Jack doesn't realise that, then the next manager will.

quad_red wrote: »
    When will they announce time and date? (as opposed to the vague weekend).

Meeting either today or this evening I presume to announce this.

Wonder if it might be a Saturday game to avoid the provincial finals?

If it was a Saturday game I would assume that it would be 5pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

DDC1990 wrote: »

We needed a draw against a team like Letrim, like in 2009 where we were able to train through the qualifiers, without it taking much out of us.

Getting Tyrone means we are going to have to raise our game Tenfold, and peak this early in the championship.

Their quick handpassing and direct running through the middle is absolutly our weak point.
    Brosnan had a good game going forward but he cannot hold the middle well at all, and every team we have played this year has exploited it, from Tipp to Westmeath.

Westmeaths handpassing caused us problems, so I dread to think what Tyrones will do.

Their physicality around the middle will unsettle Sheahan and Maher, starving our forwards of possession.

I don't buy into this Kerry team being in decline because of age. I think we are in decline because the football we play doesn't suit the modern style, with packed defences, and quick handpassing. We like to kick the football, but we are swamped by sweepers and additional defenders. Then our forwards don't have the fitness or workrate to chase the backs up the field, which creates 2 on 1 situations, leading to easy scores inside the 45m line.

I think the era where Kerry can field so many natural footballers, like Declan, Darren, James O'Donaghue, Gooch, is gone. The days of having great individual footballers in defence like Killian Young and Tomás Ó Sé are gone.

Now you need 15 Athletes, who will run and run and run. You can "carry" one footballer up front who will score for you. Everyone else must buy into a defensive system, and you must hand pass. Every defender must be quick, strong and fit. If he can't kick a ball it doesn't matter a tap. His job and the 13 other "defenders" is to stop the opposition scoring, and handpass the ball to the forward who can score.

Its the draw kerry were looking for ,Lets get out there every man woman and child and support the lads, get the flags out, your county needs you now choke the life out of our friends from the north let them know there are coming to the lions den nobody beats kerry at home in the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,145 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ye will beat Tyrone, don't worry.

Kerry will have big say on who wins Sam again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »

At last, some realism from the Kerry thread.

I totally agree that this is not the draw Kerry needed, the home advantage and the draw against Clare do put a gloss on it however.

If they are to mount a serious All Ireland challenge (which I never expected from them in 2012) they could have done with avoiding Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Meeting either today or this evening I presume to announce this.

Wonder if it might be a Saturday game to avoid the provincial finals?

If it was a Saturday game I would assume that it would be 5pm

It'll def be a saturday game ok and prob be the TV game so i imagine 7pm throw in

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It'll def be a saturday game ok and prob be the TV game so i imagine 7pm throw in

Would a 7pm throw-in not be too late for any Tyrone fans travelling up and down on the one day?

Whereas if it was 5pm there would still be a reasonable amount of travel time up-and-down? It would be a late night getting home but would still be feasible whereas a 7pm throw-in would really put the kibosh on this?

kerryted wrote: »
    Its the draw kerry were looking for ,Lets get out there every man woman and child and support the lads, get the flags out, your county needs you now choke the life out of our friends from the north let them know there are coming to the lions den nobody beats kerry at home in the qualifiers
    Were you watching Braveheart last night or something??

Either way - it's a very, difficult game. The positives to take are that we're at home and that we haven't really upped our game to the required level so far this year. A performance is due and this team should be itching to have a crack off Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Would a 7pm throw-in not be too late for any Tyrone fans travelling up and down on the one day?

Whereas if it was 5pm there would still be a reasonable amount of travel time up-and-down? It would be a late night getting home but would still be feasible whereas a 7pm throw-in would really put the kibosh on this?

Don't bet on it not being at 7pm.The GAA hardly took Dublin hurling fans into consideration when we had to play in Ennis. If it suits it being televised, that is who wil be accomodated.I would expect a 7pm throw in to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

2 things, Firstly Evans is not a free man, he's Banty's right hand man, and secondly he's a spoofer who would put Kerry football back 10 years, something I have been reliably informed the Kerry County Board are well aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

huge huge game next weekend, hopefully there will be a big kerry crowd and it will spur on the team to get over a win that few will expect within the county.

chance for redemption and to kick start the year.

2 things, Firstly Evans is not a free man, he's Banty's right hand man, and secondly he's a spoofer who would put Kerry football back 10 years, something I have been reliably informed the Kerry County Board are well aware of.

so are you lot not appreciative of what he did for Tipp football over the past 5 years? speaking to a Tipp lad a few weeks ago, he reckons all the work underage is down to Evans. is he wrong?
    blackbelt wrote: »
    Don't bet on it not being at 7pm.The GAA hardly took Dublin hurling fans into consideration when we had to play in Ennis. If it suits it being televised, that is who wil be accomodated.I would expect a 7pm throw in to be honest.

in all fairness, Ennis to Dublin is a huge difference from Killarney to Tyrone. we are talking about 2 and 1 /2 hours versus 6 hours at least.

i live in dublin and i have no problem if kerry were drawn to play in Ennis and come back up after a 7pm game there. easily back up before 12.00.

so are you lot not appreciative of what he did for Tipp football over the past 5 years? speaking to a Tipp lad a few weeks ago, he reckons all the work underage is down to Evans. is he wrong?

While I'm sure he's done work to improve the standard - I was told he's quick to take credit for their success underage when the fact of the matter is - the work began long before his arrival.

This I heard from Tipp people, whether it's true or not I can't confirm but would be interesting to hear from somebody more informed than I

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patk72

Kerry looked a bit leggy to me yesterday and they will be up against a superfit Tyrone team,a big ask even with home advantage. 1 thing about yesterday...why was O'Donoghue taken off when at least 3 other players could have been taken off before him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PaulieC wrote: »
    While I'm sure he's done work to improve the standard - I was told he's quick to take credit for their success underage when the fact of the matter is - the work began long before his arrival.

This I heard from Tipp people, whether it's true or not I can't confirm but would be interesting to hear from somebody more informed than I

Paulie pretty much has hit the nail on hte head there, he had absolutely zero to do with teh underage success in Tipp and all that was in place long before he's arrival, he then tried to take credit for it all and even tried to take over the minors last year untill David Power put he's foot down and told him where to go, my own club qualified for a munster final last year and lo and behold here he was down at our last training before hand trying to get in on it and doing interviews in the paper as if he was involved.

Dont get me wrong he did some very good work with Tipp initially, but if he was half the man he thought he was he'd be a great man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

teednab-el wrote: »
    but as usual Kerry will get a nice team in the qualifiers to get them through and if they get to Croke park they will win the All Ireland.

:eek:

Hoping this is a cracker of a game, could be just the carrot Kerry need to get the best out of themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement