Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

SO, with the Rules thrown out, are we Still favourites for the Championship in your eyes?

Im now much more worried by Tyrone, then I was under the Rules.
    I think the Rules suited our backs, in the way that they play, reading the game, good shadow defence without fouling the player.
    They also suited our forwards, no pulling and dragging on Gooch, Donaghy etc.
    Darran O'Sullivan would have thrived under the new rules, because the only way to stop him is to pull him down!

Still we have done well enough up to now without the rules, why let that change anything.

Ciarraí Abú - Champíní Uilig Éireann 2009 (le cúnamh Dé)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't understand why they refuse to give the rules a shot in the championship.

The league was great this year. It's so pointless trotting out these rules for the league every couple of years and then not having the balls to at least have a trial of them in the championship.

We'll be back to the old pulling and dragging shít in no time - whoopie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Well they would have ruined Gaelic Hurling for a start.

Should have been introduced in football alone, but for whatever reason they didn't seem to even consider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

A few weeks ago I would have predicted Derry to beat Kerry in a league final but now I am not so sure and think Kerry should win this one.

Kerry weren't up to much in the first half of their game against Westmeath and Dublin made Kerry look average for long spells of that match.If the game was in Parnell Park I thought Kerry would fumble as they did last year against Derry.Kerry have never played great in Parnell but Croke Park is a different story.I think Kerrys experience of Croke Park and the space they can expose will stand to them whereas Derry don't have the Croke Park experience and are used to playing in smaller,tighter grounds.

However,Kerry will need to get a hold of midfield.They struggled against Diver and co last year while the long,high ball was taken care of.Teams are learning how to cope with Kerrys tactics and I see no plan B from Kerry except for playing diagonal balls from the wings.

I'd go with a Kerry 2 point win after a great start with a very shaky period in th second half.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Well they would have ruined Gaelic Hurling for a start.

Should have been introduced in football alone, but for whatever reason they didn't seem to even consider this.

Yeah sorry I was talking purely about football. I've said on here before how ludicrous I think it is that the rules of hurling and football are identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Does any one know what the story is with Tadgh? i'd like to see him run out in the wing forward position on sunday. I'd also like to see more of Bohane at full back but i dont think Jack will go tinkering too much with his six backs.

Alot of club games next weekend as well this could affect the amount of lads willing to travel up. Hopefully a good sunny day will help to bring out some of the less fanatical support.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Does any one know what the story is with Tadgh? i'd like to see him run out in the wing forward position on sunday. I'd also like to see more of Bohane at full back but i dont think Jack will go tinkering too much with his six backs.

Alot of club games next weekend as well this could affect the amount of lads willing to travel up. Hopefully a good sunny day will help to bring out some of the less fanatical support.

i hope to bring a crowd of non kerry people to this, who will be supporting kerry!!

anyway, tadhg played for his club last weekend and marked darragh o shea, going on reports on kerry forum. both supposed to have done well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

i hope to bring a crowd of non kerry people to this, who will be supporting kerry!!

anyway, tadhg played for his club last weekend and marked darragh o shea, going on reports on kerry forum. both supposed to have done well.

That's good recruiting out of you homerjay!! i pressume your working off the Jack Charlton "grandparent rule"!! im sure there's a bit of kerry blood in them if you went back far enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

it was in the papers today that gooch got injured in a club game over the weekend, hamstring i think and is "doubtful" for this weekend :(

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    it was in the papers today that gooch got injured in a club game over the weekend, hamstring i think and is "doubtful" for this weekend :(

Yeah it was Crokes vs Spa.

My roommate is on the Spa panel and talk is that the injury wasn't serious...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah it was Crokes vs Spa.

My roommate is on the Spa panel and talk is that the injury wasn't serious...

hopefully thats the case.

apparently paul galvin, scanlon and marc o se are also on the injured list.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

hopefully thats the case.

apparently paul galvin, scanlon and marc o se are also on the injured list.:eek:

ah honestly I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried. You will find over the nextday or two more and more Kerry players will be on an injured list but when the team will be named they will be fine ... all tactics.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ah honestly I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried. You will find over the nextday or two more and more Kerry players will be on an injured list but when the team will be named they will be fine ... all tactics.

i hope you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i dont think its tactics, they probably actually are injured with slight knocks are as it stands are doubts. however, rest and a few days of physio can work wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Was at the Crokes game and from the sidelines Gooch's injury didn't look
    that serious. Pretty much looked exactly like a tweaked hamstring as described in reports. Heard around town (Killarney) yesterday from a few Crokes people that it wasn't that serious as well - they might have all been repeating the same thing but at least it isn't a major injury. Up until he was injured he was the class act on the pitch, even if he wasn't playing at 100% He was named at full forward but played out the pitch setting up the other Crokes players for scores. The vision he showed for some of the through balls he played was simply exceptional.

Also a friend who's a member of the season ticket scheme got an email from Croke Park with the following. Basically all of those who are part of the Season Ticket scheme have free entry into the league finals the next day.
    Nice to see Croker taking the economic situation into account.
    As a Season Ticket holder for a county competing in the League Finals on Sunday week you have already guaranteed yourself a seat in Section 305 Cusack Lower. To get your seat number you must pass through the Season Stile - Stile C1 at the rear of the Cusack. You are not charged for your own seat. Now you can also bring a friend or family member along with you to see your county play in Croke Park!

I'd say their will be one more training session this week before the team will be announced and if I were a betting woman I would suspect that Scanlan will be the only player listed on the injured list on the day of the match.

Also a friend who's a member of the season ticket scheme got an email from Croke Park with the following. Basically all of those who are part of the Season Ticket scheme have free entry into the league finals the next day.
    Nice to see Croker taking the economic situation into account.

Quote:
    As a Season Ticket holder for a county competing in the League Finals on Sunday week you have already guaranteed yourself a seat in Section 305 Cusack Lower. To get your seat number you must pass through the Season Stile - Stile C1 at the rear of the Cusack. You are not charged for your own seat. Now you can also bring a friend or family member along with you to see your county play in Croke Park!

Well that sure is a sight for soar eyes to read I must admit.

I'd say their will be one more training session this week before the team will be announced and if I were a betting woman I would suspect that Scanlan will be the only player listed on the injured list on the day of the match.

off topic and irrelevant, but i always assumed you were male :eek:

lol

• Advertisement

off topic and irrelevant, but i always assumed you were male :eek:
    keane2097 wrote: »
    lol

:eek: :D ... now you know

and back on topic ...

Does anyone want to guess the result for the next day?

I'm going with a Kerry victory by 6points

i'll go for a kerrry win also, but doubt the margin will be as high.. 3 or 4 points i'd say

i'll go for a kerrry win also, but doubt the margin will be as high.. 3 or 4 points i'd say

This imo.

Kerry by 10...at least. They will be unstoppable this year.

...They will be unstoppable this year.

+1 They really are on fire this year

+1 They really are on fire this year

Definetly, a team of Gods one may even say. They have Munster and the All-Ireland sown up not just this year, but dare I say it for much of the 2010s as well?

Definetly, a team of Gods one may even say. They have Munster and the All-Ireland sown up not just this year, but dare I say it for much of the 2010s as well?

Ah now you now I would settle for 2009 first ... the big 3 heading for TheKingdom this year anyways for sure, no harm either, we need a top-up down here

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

They will be unstoppable this year.

Lads, need I remind ye it's still only April, keep the heads... Long way to September and need I even mention Tyrone...

I believe Sunday is a big game as loosing the league final last year set tone for the rest of the year (i.e. loosing big leads and loosing to Northern Teams). So a win is a must and to win comfortably even better. To loose would copper fasten the "Kerry can't beat Northern teams" mindset.

Big game at last and the Swallows are not here yet...

• Advertisement

deeno1975 wrote: »
    Lads, need I remind ye it's still only April, keep the heads... Long way to September and need I even mention Tyrone...

I believe Sunday is a big game as loosing the league final last year set tone for the rest of the year (i.e. loosing big leads and loosing to Northern Teams). So a win is a must and to win comfortably even better. To loose would copper fasten the "Kerry can't beat Northern teams" mindset.

Big game at last and the Swallows are not here yet...

Ah jazus what is it with the same old "Kerry can't beat Northen teams" crap?! If we lose on Sunday people won't be going around saying that, times have changed thankfully and people will just accept it (maybe not that day, but a few days later for sure).

What happens every year is different. This team has matured so much since last year and even if they do lose on Sunday I don't believe it will set the tone, it would just mean they lost another League Final - they will move on and learn from that match and from lastyear! They won't want a repeat of 2008 and I don't believe 2008 will happen for Kerry again for a long time i.e. loosing all 3major finals.

What we do agree on is that we should each match on it's own on it's own merits and not look too far beyond that. We are strong this year and do look un-stopable though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement