Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What exactly is your problem with the media narrative ?

Does it upset you that it does not conform to your 'everything will be all right on the night' optimism ?

Just the fact that it's level one "interpretation" of events means I have to put up with guff from droolers on the internet.

About time we got this out I think...
    I am Kerry

I am Kerry like my mother before me,
    And my mother's mother and her man.
    Now I sit on an office stool remembering,
    And the memory of them like a fan
    Soothes the embers into flame.
    I am Kerry and proud of my name.

My heart is looped around the rutted hills,
    That shoulder the stars out of the sky,
    And about the wasp-yellow fields,
    And the strands where kelp-streamers lie;
    Where, soft as lovers' Gaelic, the rain falls,
    Sweeping into silver the lacy mountain walls.

My grandfather tended the turf fire,
    And, leaning backward into legend,spoke,
    Of doings old before quills inked history.
    I saw dark heroes fighting in the smoke,
    Diarmuid dead inside his Iveragh cave,
    And Deirdrie caoining[keening] upon Naoise's grave.

I see the wise face now with its hundred wrinkles,
    And every wrinkle held a thousand tales,
    Of Finn and Oscar and Conawn Maol,
    And sea-proud Niall whose conquering sails,
    Raiding France for slaves and wine,
    Brought Patrick to mind Milchu's swine.

I should have put a noose about the throat of time,
    And choked the passing of the hob-nailed years,
    And stayed young always, shouting in the hills,
    Where life held only fairy fears,
    When I was young my feet were bare,
    But I drove cattle to the fair.

'Twas thus I lived, skin to skin with the earth,
    Elbowed by the hills, drenched by the billows,
    Watching the wild geese making black wedges,
    By Skelligs far west and Annascaul of the willows.
    Their voices came on every little wind,
    Whispering across the half-door of the mind,
    For always I am Kerry...

Sigerson Clifford

http://clairebancoffey.blogspot.ie/2010/03/i-am-kerry.html

Come on the Kingdom

ksp-galvin-for-mccrohan-medium-_570.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,239 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just the fact that it's level one "interpretation" of events means I have to put up with guff from droolers on the internet.

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There seems to be a lot of hyperbole in here lately....must be the pressure I guess.

I see Tyrone captain Stephen O'Neill should be available for the match, a big lift for them if he gets to tog out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of hyperbole in here lately....must be the pressure I guess.

I see Tyrone captain Stephen O'Neill should be available for the match, a big lift for them if he gets to tog out.

True, until we put Marc on him :pac:

Great player to be fair, injury has ruined him though, wonder would he last the full game.

• Advertisement

Interview with Mugsy ahead of the game here:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/owen-mulligan-talks-before-kerry-game/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

A lot of hype surrounding this McCurry fella, who came off the bench in Tyrone's last game and kicked 4 points. I'll hold my judgement till Saturday evening on this kid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

That McCurry lad had a good game when he came on but by then Roscommon had given up the ghost and we were just going through the motions. I was talking to some of the Tyrone fans in the Hyde and they were surprised at how well he played (or was let play), but they reckon he's definately one for the future. Harte brought him on when the game was more or less over. Wouldn't be expecting to see him against Kerry with Stephen O'Neill fit and a closer game expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

The pressure cooker is on in here.

About time we got this out I think...
    I am Kerry

I am Kerry like my mother before me,
    And my mother's mother and her man.
    Now I sit on an office stool remembering,
    And the memory of them like a fan
    Soothes the embers into flame.
    I am Kerry and proud of my name.

My heart is looped around the rutted hills,
    That shoulder the stars out of the sky,
    And about the wasp-yellow fields,
    And the strands where kelp-streamers lie;
    Where, soft as lovers' Gaelic, the rain falls,
    Sweeping into silver the lacy mountain walls.

My grandfather tended the turf fire,
    And, leaning backward into legend,spoke,
    Of doings old before quills inked history.
    I saw dark heroes fighting in the smoke,
    Diarmuid dead inside his Iveragh cave,
    And Deirdrie caoining[keening] upon Naoise's grave.

I see the wise face now with its hundred wrinkles,
    And every wrinkle held a thousand tales,
    Of Finn and Oscar and Conawn Maol,
    And sea-proud Niall whose conquering sails,
    Raiding France for slaves and wine,
    Brought Patrick to mind Milchu's swine.

I should have put a noose about the throat of time,
    And choked the passing of the hob-nailed years,
    And stayed young always, shouting in the hills,
    Where life held only fairy fears,
    When I was young my feet were bare,
    But I drove cattle to the fair.

'Twas thus I lived, skin to skin with the earth,
    Elbowed by the hills, drenched by the billows,
    Watching the wild geese making black wedges,
    By Skelligs far west and Annascaul of the willows.
    Their voices came on every little wind,
    Whispering across the half-door of the mind,
    For always I am Kerry...

Sigerson Clifford

http://clairebancoffey.blogspot.ie/2010/03/i-am-kerry.html

Come on the Kingdom

ksp-galvin-for-mccrohan-medium-_570.jpg

That picture was brought out before Kerry met Tyrone in 2008. It did wonders. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Can't believe the confidence for a tyrone win.

I'm a tyrone man and you don't just head down to the kingdom and get an easy victory.
    No team with the gooch in it can be written off. I'm hopeful but it's more a case of hope than expectation.

May the best team win and go on to see croke park in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

teednab-el,You're not as smart as you think you are! That photo is from Kerry's 2009 All Ireland final win. A year after they last met Tyrone!;)

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can't believe the confidence for a tyrone win.

I'm a tyrone man and you don't just head down to the kingdom and get an easy victory.
    No team with the gooch in it can be written off. I'm hopeful but it's more a case of hope than expectation.

May the best team win and go on to see croke park in september.

This is what you almost always get from Tyrone fans I've found - great, honest, respectful views based on actual knowledge of football rather than what the Examiner tells you to think.

I hope people don't view it askance if I generalise and say as a rule Northern GAA people as a group are the most well informed and rational GAA people you come across. I suppose the bit of success negates the typical Irish tendency towards begrudgery and the rabid desire to see people knocked off their perch or put in their place.

Kerry people in fairness got their knickers in a bit of a twist when Northern teams got to us in the last decade but I think there's nothing between these two teams but mutual admiration and respect these days. Would certainly echo your sentiments that whichever of our two teams wins the watch on Saturday goes on to give the AI a right rattle - I have no doubt they will.

teednab-el wrote: »
    That picture was brought out before Kerry met Tyrone in 2008. It did wonders. :D

2008 eh?

retarded-cartman.jpg

acequion wrote: »
    teednab-el,You're not as smart as you think you are! That photo is from Kerry's 2009 All Ireland final win. A year after they last met Tyrone!;)

I seem to be smarter than you anyway. When Kerry won in 2009 they had the 125 emblem on the right hand side of jersey, not the bank of Ireland writing and old GAA symbol. So I am correct. This photo was taken in 2007 after they beat Cork.

2008 eh?

retarded-cartman.jpg

what I meant was Kerry thought Galvin was a certainly to lift the Sam against Tyrone in 2008. That picture was posted in nearly every Kerry supporters facebook page before that final.

Kerry team named

Young out of the corner, and now at wing back.
    Enright in corner

No other changes

Kerry team named

Young out of the corner, and now at wing back.
    Enright in corner

No other changes

That switch is a pretty large improvement on its own over how we've lined up all year, bizarre how it's taken this long to implement.

That switch is a pretty large improvement on its own over how we've lined up all year, bizarre how it's taken this long to implement.

Honest question
    How good is Enright ?
    A lot of talk about him for the last few years, and why was Jack so reluctant up to now to put him in the corner to replace Tom O' Sullivan

Honest question
    How good is Enright ?
    A lot of talk about him for the last few years, and why was Jack so reluctant up to now to put him in the corner to replace Tom O' Sullivan

He was excellent last year against Cork in the Munster SF. I incorrectly thought he'd struggled in the second half at the time but watched the game back and he was very assured, marked Paul Kerrigan throughout.

He was outstanding against Mayo in the league SF this year as well. Those are just two high profile games, he's yet to put a foot wrong when he's played.

Jack's conservative team selections are the greatest cause of chagrin amongst Kerry people at the moment and have been for months. The consensus is that he's pretty well lost the plot, although some of us have been questioning for a long time as to whether he ever actually had it in the first place but that's a different day's work!

I certainly wouldn't use Jack's selections as indicators of how good or bad players are, the performances should speak for themselves while his decisions have been crazy at times. See his withdrawal of James O'Donoghue immediately after he scored his second point from play as an example or his costly decision to digress from the plan of bringing Enright on instead of Bohan in the final last year to mark Mcmenamin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Id have started BJK instead of Donnacha with the intention of replacing him with Darran around HT. I'd bring him on before Curtin on Saturday too if it comes to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

I like S Enright but he lacks big match experience but its time to start relying on these young guys now , K Donaghy is not a corner forward and never will be , he is really struggling and he knows it, and when a player Knows his struggling he tries to chase the ball around like an under 12 player just to get on the ball we saw the silly mistake he made against mayo , i hate to be critical of our players because K Donaghy have given so much to kerry, rember that great goal against Armagh and the bold francie , great memories

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

toodleytoo wrote: »

Someone should show that to the team before throw in tomorrow,

Brolly has some chip on his shoulder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

What a sad little man he is, the whole Tyrone thing is getting a bit old at this stage, people would want to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ud think Brolly was an ex Tyrone player the way he goes on,he was over rated himself as a player and really shouldn't be sharing a studio with the likes of O Rourke and Spillane both who are legends of the game while Joe only had 2 or 3 years in the sun and is now a bitter little man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Mayo in 2006 and 2009,Cork in 2011 and Kerry this year, I think it safe to say Joe doesn't like Connaught or Munster teams. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭caomhino

blackbelt wrote: »
    Mayo in 2006 and 2009,Cork in 2011 and Kerry this year, I think it safe to say Joe doesn't like Connaught or Munster teams. :D

Very true, he seems to have forgotten that moment in time in 2004 when his beloved Tyrone were dumped out of the SFC by poor old Mayo.....

caomhino wrote: »
    blackbelt wrote: »

Very true, he seems to have forgotten that moment in time in 2004 when his beloved Tyrone were dumped out of the SFC by poor old Mayo.....

What Brolly is saying will be true if Kerry don't win today. Home venue, large Kerry crowd, are a huge advantage for Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

What Brolly is saying will be true if Kerry don't win today. Home venue, large Kerry crowd, are a huge advantage for Kerry.

I think it is hard to disagree with Brolly but I would be PO'ed big time if I were from Kerry.He seems to single out Colm Cooper and his criticism of Kerry seems to be that of a childish nature. Can;t remember off the top of my head but didn't Kerry beat Derry in 2004?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement