Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

mfceiling wrote: »
    Probably the best line of the day...

Hate cynicism in games , when played without that mentality it's still a beautiful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

JFlah wrote: »

Hate cynicism in games , when played without that mentality it's still a beautiful game.

Thought it was a brutal game.

Tyrone came to fight, bully and intimidate and didn't bother their arse to play ball.....they got what they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The next round is Kerry v Clare..........

Yeah but unless the Kerry team are kidnapped they will sail through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

great stuff from Kerry, a 10 point win on a day like today is a super result and will shut a few people up for a while, though as usual, the bitterness is out already.

Shane Enright superb, as was O Mahoney, Marc, Sheehan (my mom), declan, Gooch and O Donoghue, in fact pretty much everybody was excellent.

super win and onwards and upwards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Thought it was a brutal game.

Tyrone came to fight, bully and intimidate and didn't bother their arse to play ball.....they got what they deserved.

100% correct they played ZERO football and should have lost by more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

teednab-el wrote: »
    Yeah but unless the Kerry team are kidnapped they will sail through that.

I actually deleted the post as I didn't see the 'After' in yours.

They should come through the Clare game, but I reckon Kerry won't be up for it as much as today and could win it by less than they did today.

I'd be happy to get Kerry in the qf. I think Cork will beat them.

I actually deleted the post as I didn't see the 'After' in yours.

They should come through the Clare game, but I reckon Kerry won't be up for it as much as today and could win it by less than they did today.

I'd be happy to get Kerry in the qf. I think Cork will beat them.

My blood pressure will be high the week leading up to that match if it was to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

This game probably meant a lot more to Kerry than Tyrone,Saying that Kerry were awesome from 1 to 15...AOM was a rock at full back,Delighted for Star,Galvin and Killian who have been under a lot of pressure to perform lately.

Thought the ref was a little trigger happy today but it was a tough game to ref,You would expect a lot of the niggly stuff in most championships game,No class from Conor Gormley after Tómas's O.G.

In two minds over McGuigan's red card could of easily been yellow,Curtin should of went for the late challenge but maybe as the game was in the last few seconds he felt there was no need of it,McMahon's reaction to the yellow was very classy :rolleyes:

Hope Jack gives a few lads a rest next weekend and finally

Whooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

teednab-el wrote: »
    My blood pressure will be high the week leading up to that match if it was to happen.

Having attended all the losses to Kerry, I'll be there for the win in croker:D

( whenever that will be;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

If Gooch scores 4 points next Sunday he'll be our all time top scorer. Awful pity he didn't get the goal today and take a few of Sheehans short frees to break it after that nonsense Brolly spoke. Tomas will become the record appearance holder too. Mile buiochas for all so far lads.

Thought Enright was superb and will surely be trusted in important games again. It was great to see Young back in his natural habitat. Sheehan and Maher lorded midfield, I doubted Donnacha before the game but he gave us 48 honest minutes hes just after a long layoff so hopefully he'll get more time next week. It was great to see Donaghy smile after an important championship goal once more and lets hope this kickstarts his season. James O'Donoghue looks like hes been on the team years.

This team were wrote off and a loss today would have been a disaster and Galvins interview shows the hurt the team felt. Only a stepping stone but boy was it sweet. I wont be back in this thread until after the Dublin game tomorrow and I hope by then some of our visitors will have left us.

Ciarrai Abu

• Advertisement

Having attended all the losses to Kerry, I'll be there for the win in croker:D

( whenever that will be;))

Ive been there myself all through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smiler21

enjoy the victory, we'll be back can't wait until the league game next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Delighted. Was totally wrong last monday after the draw, and really overestimated Tyrone, and underestimated Kerry.

We were the only team trying to play football and we had to be tough and come toe to toe with Tyrone.

We did that and then some. Crossed the line a few times I feel (disappointed with Gooch's foot trip for example). Paul Galvin was the most disciplined player on the pitch, surviving on a yellow card despite some attention from the Red Hand boys. Unfortunatly the game has changed these days, so it takes a certain level of cinicism to win matches.

Donnacha Walsh is a vital cog in our team, and ran himself into the ground today, doing nothing spectacular, but he enabled lads like Declan to stay forward instead of funnelling back.

Enright and O'Donaghue were brilliant for young lads, and didn't look out of place at all.

Sheehan and Maher were out of thhis world! Dominated Tyrone at midfield.

Pissed off a bit that it was TV3, so no full match replay. Shítty service.

Kerry wanted it more and deserved it. Was a great atmosphere, sunny day, mountains looked beautiful, and Kery won. Carlsberg might do Qualifiers. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

No dooher, canavan, cavanagh, cavlan, hughes.....and a few new lads who'd never faced kerry before....it was really only the tyrone team in name and not the same force of 2003-2008
    Think a few posters here would have been happy to beat any tyrone team rather than a tyrone fan get annoyed at losing to kerry in the championship for the first time in over 25 years.

And why is that?
    Look at the players Kerry have lost since the 2003 :
    Seamus Moynihan, Dara Ó Cinnéide, Tommy Walsh, Darragh O'Sé,
    Tadhg Kennelly, ...
    Plenty young Kerry players who never faced Tyrone before today...
    Yet nobody would suggest that because these players have retired, the today's team was 'Kerry in name only'! What a pathetic excuse.

2003 is nine years ago - 2008 is four years ago.
    Are you saying that Tyrone couldn't do what other counties do -bring new players on to their team gradually?

Tyrone has won the All Ireland three times - never won two in a row.
    They are simply unable to maintain a high standard even over a couple of years.

Occasional flash-in-the-pan is all they have been so far.
    Will they ever manage even two in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Like I said earlier a good win for kerry but tyrone missing cavanagh, coney and o'neill unfit hadn't the ammo to win.
    Kerry supporters would want to keep that in mind.
    Think kerry today without declan o'sullivan, gooch and a half fit donaghy and you'll understand

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

M three wrote: »
    Like I said earlier a good win for kerry but tyrone missing cavanagh, coney and o'neill unfit hadn't the ammo to win.
    Kerry supporters would want to keep that in mind.
    Think kerry today without declan o'sullivan, gooch and a half fit donaghy and you'll understand

Kerry missing darren sullivan also along with Davis Moran and Daniel Bohane. So whats yiur point?

I wonder will Brolly come on tomorrow on the Sunday Game and explain his piece of journalism? I read it today and thought the parts about Cooper were bad saying he was a choker. Not fair on a true great footballer. Brolly will start cutting Cork and Mayo down now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Anyone notice the Tyrone jerseys with their 3 stars up on the back symbolising their 3 All-Ireland wins? I think it is a pretty lame copy from the Soccer Jerseys where Italy, Spain, Germany etc. have a star up for each World Cup. If Kerry, Kilkenny or Dublin was to do that the entire back of the Jersey would be covered in stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gordon West

Brolly has demonstrated, what he really is i.e. an ex-average player with a tiny bitter little mind, who hides behind running down players and teams, who have achieved a heck of a lot more than him. The only reason that he gets air time on RTE is that his cutting remarks and sarky thoughts and opinions are there to sensationalise and sell ads. News of the World kind of stuff. In a few years he will be forgotten about.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Anyone notice the Tyrone jerseys with their 3 stars up on the back symbolising their 3 All-Ireland wins? I think it is a pretty lame copy from the Soccer Jerseys where Italy, Spain, Germany etc. have a star up for each World Cup. If Kerry, Kilkenny or Dublin was to do that the entire back of the Jersey would be covered in stars!

Don't forget the Cork and Tipp hurlers too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The rings on the collar of the Kerry jersey's collar have the same meaning as the stars, one for each All Ireland win.

Must say by the way the Kerry supporters were fantastic today. Hopefully plenty will turn up to cheer the lads on presumably in Limerick next week. They deserve it after the performance they gave for us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Great win for Kerry today, which was built on our utter domination at midfield, Maher was sublime, never taking a backward step and Sheehan had an excellent game too. The forwards clicked for the first time this year, Decco was a threat throughout James O Donoughue picked off some nice scores, while Donaghy had a huge second half winning every ball that went into him and creating chances for Gooch and the other forwards.

Enright impressed in the backs and Mark was a solid as ever, infact the whole backline did well. nullifying the Tyrone attack. Kerry should have been up more than 4 points at half time, after hitting the post twice and missing some scorable chances. This looked like it might come back to haunt us when Tyrone got that freak goal, but this Kerry team didn't crumble under the pressure and reacted immediately through a well worked Donaghy goal.

Once Kerry began to out-football Tyrone early on, The Red Hand tried to stir things up, with some utterly cynical tackles. Gormley should have been sent to the line, and McMenamin went looking for trouble too. Mulligan was rolling around on the ground with Enright as well... In times past this might have thrown Kerry off, but instead we fought fire with fire, refusing to be bullied on our home patch, Maher, Galvin, Enright, Gooch all got stuck in and made sure Kerry weren't intimidated.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this performance, the midfield looks like it's coming good, the backline looks infinitely better without Young at corner back,imo, he is much better suited to wing back. Hoping Kerry draw Dublin in the quarters, a game in which I would be confident that we would right the wrongs of last September and take this Dublin team down a peg or too, then ideally meet our old foes Cork in the final and.... End the famine, of All Ireland's down here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just to add what I said last night, it was great to see Kerry play with passion.

We hit everything that moved in a white jersey, hard and fair (for the most part).

In other years we have been bullied, and not stood toe to toe when the going got rough. We've whinged about it after the match and been called softies and sore losers. Yesterday, willed on by over 20,000 passionate fans, the lads on the field stood up for themselves. It was fantastic to see a Kerry team that fired up, something we haven't seen outside an All Ireland since Armagh in 2006 possibly.

Thats the reason I laugh off all the haters who will come out of the woodwork, calling Kerry a filthy team, and cynical and divers and whatever else they can think of, because they would have been the first to call us softies etc. after 03.

Keep it up, because as you saw with Paul's post match interview, a Kerry team with a chip on its shoulder are a scary thing.

On the Red card incidents, McGuigans was sneaky and intentional. He knew what he was doing, and his one goal was to hurt the Kerry player. Red card was justified. Had he got a yellow, would I have complained? Nope. Kerry were going to win anyway, but I don't think it was harsh.

Curtin's was high, just after the whistle and to the head. Dangerous, reckless and late. However (and this is a totally biased opinion I know) I don't think the intent was there. He wasn't on long and was gunning to make an impact, a big hit to get himself noticed for the next game. He mad a forwards challenge, It was high and clumsy, but his arm was close to his body and his reaction was more of shock then triumph after knocking Cavenagh down. He didn't strike out, and was going at full speed, so aiming his tackle would have been difficult. Could he have been sent off? Yes, and TBH, it would be hard to appeal it. Should he have been sent off? Im not so sure :P Would it have made a difference? Nope. Kerry had the game won. He's a sub, and would only miss the Clare game more then likely.

Also, if you are one of the knobheads in the crowd shouting Óle after every pass then kindly fúck off and take your soccer antics somewhere else. I was in Croke Park in 2001 when Meath gave us a thumping and I will never forget the humiliation and the shouts of "Lock the Gates and Keep the bástards in". It was the most unsporting atmosphere i've ever experienced. We had Tyrone humiliated, there is no reason to kick them when they are down, and if the players want to do that themselves, they can rack up a bigger score. Too many people with short memories in our county.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gordon West

Agree with you DDC1990 completely. Kerry have too long been pushed around by these bullies. The only way to beat this cynical system is to play them at their own game. Kerry have left too many All Ireland's behind in Croke Park by being naive and cowed. Couldn't make the game myself but saw it on tv. Galvin's interview afterwards will be long remembered. Well done lads. Our pride is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anywhere to watch back the game from yesterday? Doesn't seem to be on the TV3 website...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch back the game from yesterday? Doesn't seem to be on the TV3 website...

I don't know if TG4 might show highlights today. Not sure about game in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A lot of "new" kerry posters coming out of the woodwork to praise a fantastic victory.

Kerry were never a bad side contrary to what was written in the media.

A win against a poor tyrone side shouldn't really be a yardstick against which to measure yourself.....

Tougher teams lie ahead but based on kerry's footballers they have every chance of progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmin

Meath have 7 stars across the neck on the back of their jerseys.And I agree with DDC1990,not a great day in 2001 with Meath in Croker.More respect for opponents as it will always come back to haunt you in the future.Meath got theirs in the next game against Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

This guy is happy

galvincelebration.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 TheJoker101

kevmol88 wrote: »
    This guy is happy

galvincelebration.gif

More important to Kerry than the Gooch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement