Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch back the game from yesterday? Doesn't seem to be on the TV3 website...
    I'd like to echo this.

Anyone record it or Sky+ it?

Would be ever so grateful if someone would upload the game.

TV3 don't upload full matches because of "Rights Restrictions" apparently.

Doesn't stop them showing shít like Tallaghfornia or whatever shíte they show these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Just to add what I said last night, it was great to see Kerry play with passion.

We hit everything that moved in a white jersey, hard and fair (for the most part).

In other years we have been bullied, and not stood toe to toe when the going got rough. We've whinged about it after the match and been called softies and sore losers. Yesterday, willed on by over 20,000 passionate fans, the lads on the field stood up for themselves. It was fantastic to see a Kerry team that fired up, something we haven't seen outside an All Ireland since Armagh in 2006 possibly.

Thats the reason I laugh off all the haters who will come out of the woodwork, calling Kerry a filthy team, and cynical and divers and whatever else they can think of, because they would have been the first to call us softies etc. after 03.

Keep it up, because as you saw with Paul's post match interview, a Kerry team with a chip on its shoulder are a scary thing.

On the Red card incidents, McGuigans was sneaky and intentional. He knew what he was doing, and his one goal was to hurt the Kerry player. Red card was justified. Had he got a yellow, would I have complained? Nope. Kerry were going to win anyway, but I don't think it was harsh.

Curtin's was high, just after the whistle and to the head. Dangerous, reckless and late. However (and this is a totally biased opinion I know) I don't think the intent was there. He wasn't on long and was gunning to make an impact, a big hit to get himself noticed for the next game. He mad a forwards challenge, It was high and clumsy, but his arm was close to his body and his reaction was more of shock then triumph after knocking Cavenagh down. He didn't strike out, and was going at full speed, so aiming his tackle would have been difficult. Could he have been sent off? Yes, and TBH, it would be hard to appeal it. Should he have been sent off? Im not so sure :P Would it have made a difference? Nope. Kerry had the game won. He's a sub, and would only miss the Clare game more then likely.

Also, if you are one of the knobheads in the crowd shouting Óle after every pass then kindly fúck off and take your soccer antics somewhere else. I was in Croke Park in 2001 when Meath gave us a thumping and I will never forget the humiliation and the shouts of "Lock the Gates and Keep the bástards in". It was the most unsporting atmosphere i've ever experienced. We had Tyrone humiliated, there is no reason to kick them when they are down, and if the players want to do that themselves, they can rack up a bigger score. Too many people with short memories in our county.

Curtin threw the elbow up at the end of what initially looked to be just a clumsy forward's challenge as you say. Rush of blood to the head IMO and definitely should have walked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smiler21

Stinicker wrote: »
    Anyone notice the Tyrone jerseys with their 3 stars up on the back symbolising their 3 All-Ireland wins? I think it is a pretty lame copy from the Soccer Jerseys where Italy, Spain, Germany etc. have a star up for each World Cup. If Kerry, Kilkenny or Dublin was to do that the entire back of the Jersey would be covered in stars!

meath have done it along with a few others, is this the first time youv'e noticed this, been on the jersey's for a few years. your'e just nit picking.

regarding the 20k kerry supporters will they now travel to the resty of the games?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

I was the one giving out about the kerry diving and playacting.

For the record ive nothing against Kerry football, and they were by far the better team yesterday. I'm not 'bitter', i dont really give a **** who wins the All Ireland. I do love the game of GAA though; what it means, from the viewpoint of our heritage and national identity.

Kerry disgusted me yesterday the way they dived (leapt at times), pretended, playacted and conned.

They brought he game of GAA football into disrepute yesterday, and should be fined in a perfect world. I was going to bring a bunch of kids to that game, and plans were changed the week before. Im delighted we didn't bring them, as it would have left an indelible mark on them. For shame Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

For the record ive nothing against Kerry football, and they were by far the better team yesterday. I'm not 'bitter', i dont really give a **** who wins the All Ireland. I do love the game of GAA though; what it means, from the viewpoint of our heritage and national identity.

Kerry disgusted me yesterday the way they dived (leapt at times), pretended, playacted and conned.

They brought he game of GAA football into disrepute yesterday, and should be fined in a perfect world. I was going to bring a bunch of kids to that game, and plans were changed the week before. Im delighted we didn't bring them, as it would have left an indelible mark on them. For shame Kerry.

Make sure you dont bring to any game between any teams in the championship so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Do you want some ketchup with those chips? If you had watched the game you would have quickly realized that Tyrone brought physicality into the game early on as soon as they realised Kerry were far superior and from there in were quickly throwing punches and all manner of assaults. Kerry did not roll over and matched like for like and harassed Tyrone out of the game, so if you have a problem with the spectacle you can blame Tyrone who played dirty and have a terrible discipline record. Kerry are a clean team and play proper true football with style, grace and dignity.

The same cannot be said for Tyrone and some of their players on that team were an absolute disgrace to their Manager Mickey Harte, McGuigan was on the field less than 60 seconds when he saw red and Gormley should have gone sooner. The Tyrone players left their manager and supporters down and had they attempted to play football and not resorted to their disgraceful bullyboy tactics then I am sure the result would have been closer and who knows what the outcome would have been. Kerry were physched up for Tyrone and knew exactly what they'd try and it backfired on Tyrone badly. I am certain Mickey Harte did not want that to happen and you would see in games where Tyrone are in control that they play with far less temper, but when the Tyrone players are losing they are sore losers and quickly lose the run of themselves.

Tyrone's tactic to hit the man and more often than not get away with it was exposed by Cork and Dublin before and they have no true class and are nothing but a team of runners and some of their challenges yesterday belonged more in the WWF than on a GAA field. Kerry punished them and football was the true winner yesterday. If you have a grudge against Kerry then I feel sorry for you because yesterday was not the last we'll see of Kerry this year. It is fair to say both teams are in transition but Kerry are heading into another glorious era ahead and Tyrone have regressed badly, Kerry were team of the decade and will win many All-Ireland's before 2020 yet, Tyrone will be very lucky to win one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

can you please list this shameful acts of diving and conning please as from where i was standing it looked like a fiercely contested battle that both teams got stuck into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

can you please list this shameful acts of diving and conning please as from where i was standing it looked like a fiercely contested battle that both teams got stuck into.

your coming across as a bitter f*cking annoying troll at this stage, talking the biggest amount of rubbish that ive seen on a forum on here.

those kids are lucky they didnt have to spend the afternoon with you though i have full belief these kids dont even exist and you werent even at the game or even intended going.
    aaah come on now, i dont have an itemised list. I started posting on it towards the end of the game a few pages back if you want some specific examples i the last ten minutes..

To the other poster- i completely agree- Tyrone were dirty. But that does not make it ok that Kerry dived around like ballerinas, and feigned facial injury at every opportunity.

Tyrone were hard, and dirty at times yes.

Let me put it like this -if you sat a chinaman ( any foreign type who has never seen GAA would work here) down, who never saw GAA, to watch that game with the tyrone players somehow invisible, and only the Kerry players on view- said Chinaman would have assumed that Kerry were playing a team wielding clubs, knivbes, and the occasional sniper rifle.

I realise this is an odd scenario...but if you imagine it, it makes the point. Tyrone were hard and a bit dirty, but Kerry were a disgrace to their manhood and the game in the way they dealt with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch back the game from yesterday? Doesn't seem to be on the TV3 website...

aaah come on now, i dont have an itemised list. I started posting on it towards the end of the game a few pages back if you want some specific examples i the last ten minutes..

To the other poster- i completely agree- Tyrone were dirty. But that does not make it ok that Kerry dived around like ballerinas, and feigned facial injury at every opportunity.

Tyrone were hard, and dirty at times yes.

Let me put it like this -if you sat a chinaman ( any foreign type who has never seen GAA would work here) down, who never saw GAA, to watch that game with the tyrone players somehow invisible, and only the Kerry players on view- said Chinaman would have assumed that Kerry were playing a team wielding clubs, knivbes, and the occasional sniper rifle.

I realise this is an odd scenario...but if you imagine it, it makes the point. Tyrone were hard and a bit dirty, but Kerry were a disgrace to their manhood and the game in the way they dealt with it.

If you hate diving so much why havent you commented on the Dublin player who went down injured and got back up when they won the ball back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Pure Foootball hammered Puke Football yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

liam7831 wrote: »
    Pure Foootball hammered Puke Football yesterday.

Ewan MacKenna's twitter:

Ewan MacKenna ‏@EwanMacKenna @JohnFogartyIrl I have gone through them all. There is no comparison. 16 times in last 30 minutes Kerry cynically fouled and stalled play

Ewan MacKenna ‏@EwanMacKenna
    @tonyleen But it's the systematic fouling that disrupts game far more. For every instance of Tyrone nastiness, 10 Kerry fouls to stall play.

Not to mention the constant diving. Kerry were by far the better team but they're no angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Have they set a date for the Clare match?

Saturday evening in Limerick i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stinicker wrote: »
    Do you want some ketchup with those chips? If you had watched the game you would have quickly realized that Tyrone brought physicality into the game early on as soon as they realised Kerry were far superior and from there in were quickly throwing punches and all manner of assaults. Kerry did not roll over and matched like for like and harassed Tyrone out of the game, so if you have a problem with the spectacle you can blame Tyrone who played dirty and have a terrible discipline record. Kerry are a clean team and play proper true football with style, grace and dignity.

The same cannot be said for Tyrone and some of their players on that team were an absolute disgrace to their Manager Mickey Harte, McGuigan was on the field less than 60 seconds when he saw red and Gormley should have gone sooner. The Tyrone players left their manager and supporters down and had they attempted to play football and not resorted to their disgraceful bullyboy tactics then I am sure the result would have been closer and who knows what the outcome would have been. Kerry were physched up for Tyrone and knew exactly what they'd try and it backfired on Tyrone badly. I am certain Mickey Harte did not want that to happen and you would see in games where Tyrone are in control that they play with far less temper, but when the Tyrone players are losing they are sore losers and quickly lose the run of themselves.

Tyrone's tactic to hit the man and more often than not get away with it was exposed by Cork and Dublin before and they have no true class and are nothing but a team of runners and some of their challenges yesterday belonged more in the WWF than on a GAA field. Kerry punished them and football was the true winner yesterday. If you have a grudge against Kerry then I feel sorry for you because yesterday was not the last we'll see of Kerry this year. It is fair to say both teams are in transition but Kerry are heading into another glorious era ahead and Tyrone have regressed badly, Kerry were team of the decade and will win many All-Ireland's before 2020 yet, Tyrone will be very lucky to win one.

That's right.....not one kerry footballer has been up for any disciplinary matters in the last few years.....curtin was lucky not to have gotten red for a bad tackle yesterday.

We get it now....no other team other than kerry should play gaa as they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They should get the sam every year and the rest of the teams should just play out a competition behind closed doors lest it upset you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

aveytare wrote: »
    Ewan MacKenna's twitter:

Ewan MacKenna ‏@EwanMacKenna @JohnFogartyIrl I have gone through them all. There is no comparison. 16 times in last 30 minutes Kerry cynically fouled and stalled play

@tonyleen But it's the systematic fouling that disrupts game far more. For every instance of Tyrone nastiness, 10 Kerry fouls to stall play.

Not to mention the constant diving. Kerry were by far the better team but they're no angels.
    No one suggested otherwise.

However Kerry were quite clearly brought down to Tyrones level, who never intended to play football.

We then killed the game of clinically rather then cynically.

We kicked scores when we needed to, and stopped Tyrone scoring.

It was hard hitting, and classy at times. Other times it was rough and dirty. Don't complain about Kerry adapting to the modern game. We used to play lovely football and Tyrone brought this style of play in ensured that we couldn't continue to play it. We've now gone about creating a mix of good football and down and dirty rough.

Kerry are winners, we're not going to lie down and watch others win All Irelands, for the sake of playing good football.

We get it now....no other team other than kerry should play gaa as they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They should get the sam every year and the rest of the teams should just play out a competition behind closed doors lest it upset you;)[/QUOTE]

Would not make whole lotta difference anyway.... we win it most years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Ewan MacKenna's twitter:

Worth questioning where this approach originated from.

Basically the view in Kerry is that this is very much a northern tactic designed originally to stop teams like Kerry playing fast free flowing football.

Is this tactic horrible to see? Yes

Would Tyrone have used this tactic if they were ahead? Yes

Should Kerry not use this tactic, but let their opponents use it?

One simple option to stop this tactic is to have it that the fouling team must stop all play when the ref blows the whistle. They can't interfere with play in any manner - throw the ball away, bump into someone, tie their shoelaces 5m away from the position of the free, encroach on a free-taker. Its the defending teams responsibility to get 10m back from the position of the free, similar to in rugby. Also teams are punished if they have

Its clear that most teams have their midfield and forwards operate a policy of foul a player out the field to slow up play if they are exposed.

Basically give a 13m free in front of the posts for all non-trivial (all yellow cards plus any that were made to stop a scoring chance) infringements.

Do it three times in a game and its a penalty.

If a member of the defending team is injured they have to go off the pitch to receive treatment unless the injury is deemed serious by the referee (blood, bone break, heavy blow, head injury etc) when he can stop play. The amount of serious injury stoppages in a game would be minimal compared to the more trivial occasions when a player goes down to break up play/ catch a breathe / allow the defence get organised and then gets up again in 2 minutes with no serious effects.

Basically punish the behaviour you don't want to see harshly and it will disappear.

Would this lead to a cleaner purer better more skillful game?

For an interesting thought experiment ask yourself who are the teams that would benefit from a zero-tolerance approach to disciplinary matters (13m free for all serious offences plus a penalty after three) and who are the teams that would lose out?

Very hard to see Kerry losing out in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Just to add what I said last night, it was great to see Kerry play with passion.

We hit everything that moved in a white jersey, hard and fair (for the most part).

In other years we have been bullied, and not stood toe to toe when the going got rough. We've whinged about it after the match and been called softies and sore losers. Yesterday, willed on by over 20,000 passionate fans, the lads on the field stood up for themselves. It was fantastic to see a Kerry team that fired up, something we haven't seen outside an All Ireland since Armagh in 2006 possibly.

Thats the reason I laugh off all the haters who will come out of the woodwork, calling Kerry a filthy team, and cynical and divers and whatever else they can think of, because they would have been the first to call us softies etc. after 03.

Keep it up, because as you saw with Paul's post match interview, a Kerry team with a chip on its shoulder are a scary thing.

On the Red card incidents, McGuigans was sneaky and intentional. He knew what he was doing, and his one goal was to hurt the Kerry player. Red card was justified. Had he got a yellow, would I have complained? Nope. Kerry were going to win anyway, but I don't think it was harsh.

Curtin's was high, just after the whistle and to the head. Dangerous, reckless and late. However (and this is a totally biased opinion I know) I don't think the intent was there. He wasn't on long and was gunning to make an impact, a big hit to get himself noticed for the next game. He mad a forwards challenge, It was high and clumsy, but his arm was close to his body and his reaction was more of shock then triumph after knocking Cavenagh down. He didn't strike out, and was going at full speed, so aiming his tackle would have been difficult. Could he have been sent off? Yes, and TBH, it would be hard to appeal it. Should he have been sent off? Im not so sure :P Would it have made a difference? Nope. Kerry had the game won. He's a sub, and would only miss the Clare game more then likely.

Also, if you are one of the knobheads in the crowd shouting Óle after every pass then kindly fúck off and take your soccer antics somewhere else. I was in Croke Park in 2001 when Meath gave us a thumping and I will never forget the humiliation and the shouts of "Lock the Gates and Keep the bástards in". It was the most unsporting atmosphere i've ever experienced. We had Tyrone humiliated, there is no reason to kick them when they are down, and if the players want to do that themselves, they can rack up a bigger score. Too many people with short memories in our county.

I am just back in the car after croker, just to say in relation to your comment highlighted above. I was there and I sang cheerio to some of the Kerry supporters when they started to leave early that day. There were Ole chants that day as well, bit just from my part I have to say it was a pent up anger at not getting credit previously for winning All Irelands and there was a superiority complex with some of the Kerry supporters. For example, I was in Thurles that year, for the Meath Kerry League Semi Final, he second year in a row I think. We were being beat out the gate and scored three late goals to win. Coming our afterwards all we heard was, "sure its only the league" blah blah blah and it was annoying. so that semi final in 2001 was possibly the greatest Meath game I was ever at, we had a feeling going up that this was our day and Kerry thought that they had it won, plus there is always the old adage that you havn't won an All Ireland unless you beat Kerry. So I think you need to re-assess your thinking on what happened, as it was more celebration that we had beaten the Kingdom and beat them well. By the way, we had to suffer Ole's in the final from Galway :)

Looking at Dublin today, I don't think they are good enough to win the AI again, very fit, but very limited in the forwards. Personally I think it between Kerry and Donegal.

No one suggested otherwise.

However Kerry were quite clearly brought down to Tyrones level, who never intended to play football.

We then killed the game of clinically rather then cynically.

We kicked scores when we needed to, and stopped Tyrone scoring.

It was hard hitting, and classy at times. Other times it was rough and dirty. Don't complain about Kerry adapting to the modern game. We used to play lovely football and Tyrone brought this style of play in ensured that we couldn't continue to play it. We've now gone about creating a mix of good football and down and dirty rough.

Kerry are winners, we're not going to lie down and watch others win All Irelands, for the sake of playing good football.

What's the difference between killing the game clinically rather than cynically? I'm not disagreeing with your post otherwise really - I just think Kerry aren't as 'pure' as Liam suggested.

• Advertisement

What's the difference between killing the game clinically rather than cynically? I'm not disagreeing with your post otherwise really - I just think Kerry aren't as 'pure' as Liam suggested.

Not to speak for DCC but I think a part of it is that it would be seen as once its against a side who are going to play that way anyway its fair game.

If the shoe was on the other foot would they adopt this approach?

Should we beat Clare each potential quarter final will be tough.

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Not to speak for DCC but I think a part of it is that it would be seen as once its against a side who are going to play that way anyway its fair game.

If the shoe was on the other foot would they adopt this approach?

Possibly but in fairness Kerry have a pretty poor disciplinary record - in my opinion anyway. I'm probably being a bit overly critical - Kerry were superb yesterday and obviously have been a fantastic team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

paddy978 wrote: »
    when we beat Clare each potential quarter final will be tough

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

paddy978 wrote: »
    Should we beat Clare each potential quarter final will be tough.

well IF we get through, i hope its Dublin that we get. The winners of that, would play winner of Mayo 1/4 final in the Semi.

realistically you would expect Kerry, Meath, Kildare and Down to get through, though history would suggest that Meath and Down will struggle next weekend.

Tipp in the 1/4 final would be a great story for them.

well IF we get through, i hope its Dublin that we get. The winners of that, would play winner of Mayo 1/4 final in the Semi.

realistically you would expect Kerry, Meath, Kildare and Down to get through, though history would suggest that Meath and Down will struggle next weekend.

Tipp in the 1/4 final would be a great story for them.

Tough one, Donegal were sensational in the second half.

Possibly but in fairness Kerry have a pretty poor disciplinary record - in my opinion anyway. I'm probably being a bit overly critical - Kerry were superb yesterday and obviously have been a fantastic team.

Kerry have a poor enough disciplinary record but its hard to see them as a dirty team. Can you name any of the Kerry players who you would describe as dirty?

One of the major issues Kerry have had is that a number of Kerry players have had bad relations with intercounty refs.

Part of the reason for this is that in Kerry club games some of the higher profile Kerry players will appeal against over-physical play and the refs will take this into account. Refs in Kerry sometimes take the approach to reffing that they should protect the better players as if you were a Kerry ref and a senior intercounty player picked up an injury due to your reffing the Kerry County Board wouldnt be too pleased?

A problem arises when Kerry are then playing inter-county and expect the refs to be open to the same approach (reacting when a defenders being over-physical) Its worth noting how many times a Kerry player has got in trouble because of issues with refs approach and or frustration.

Also look at the number of games Kerry have played in the Championship and League over the last ten years, especially high-profile games. With the amount of times Kerry have been in All-Ireland finals and League finals over the last decade I'd imagine that Kerry top the number of televised appearances by quite some distance.

Even when its not a high-profile game, a broadcaster is likely to show a Kerry game over a lot of other options because of who they are.

How many times have Kerry been involved in televised high-profile games?

People remember the big incidents but don't think into account the number of times Kerry have been televised.

As a result of these high-profile games anything Kerry do on the disciplinary front is major news. The notion of them as a dirty team is one that I think is wide of the mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

This thing of blaming your cynical cheating on adapting to other teams tactics. I remember the good teams from Tyrone (of which yesterdays is not one) were hard hitting, cynical and tough. And well able to beat you's off the pitch. But they didn't engage in diving and falling down to get players sent off. One minute kerry players were squaring up and pushing and shoving and acting like hard men. The next minute when barely touched or not touched at all they fell down and stayed down. That's cheating and unmanly. Tyrone don't do it. And no one else does it, so don't blame it on adapting to the modern game. Only adaption to the modern game is to be the master of lateral hand passing

I don't mind expediency and cynicism when it's tough and manly. But kerrys girlish cheating is embarrassing. And doesn't even win against quality opposition.

And then the triumphalism in front of the opposition at the final whistle. And crying in interviews after - saying you'd proved everyone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

J K wrote: »
    One minute kerry players were squaring up and pushing and shoving and acting like hard men. The next minute when barely touched or not touched at all they fell down and stayed down. That's cheating and unmanly. Tyrone don't do it.
    I suggest you re-watch yesterday's match and this time take off the white and red tinted glasses. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Look the basic facts are Tyrone decided early yesterday that they could,nt out-football Kerry and they were dirty and aggressive which for once Kerry in most cases matched the aggression in the correct way. BUT and it's a big but and before anyone jumps down my throat I,m a proud Kerry man and lifelong Kerry supporter and GAA follower in general... on a few occassions some of our players let themselves down by play-acting diving simulating etc.. and that is just not what we have ever stood for, aggression yes physicality yes manliness yes but the other stuff please NO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement