Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

kerry4sam wrote: »
    it would just mean they lost another League Final - they will move on and learn from that match and from lastyear! They won't want a repeat of 2008 and I don't believe 2008 will happen for Kerry again for a long time i.e. loosing all 3major finals.

If they loose this final it will mean they've lost 4 finals in row, don't tell me that that won't play on players minds come later on in the year. "They will move on and learn from that match" Yeah, just like they did last year, when they were kicking aimless balls into the full forward line against Tyrone.

And as for the "Northern Syndrome", Kerry's record against Northern teams speaks volumes (take your head out of the sand on that one), they do have a poor record against Ulster teams in finals. A win on Sunday will put alot of that to rest.

I think that Kerry will win on Sunday but hope that they vary their distribution into the full forward line. Lets see on Sunday, how far they have come.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Orizio wrote: »
    Definetly, a team of Gods one may even say. They have Munster and the All-Ireland sown up not just this year, but dare I say it for much of the 2010s as well?

you talents are wasted on here, you should be doing standup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Kerry by 10...at least. They will be unstoppable this year.
    Definetly, a team of Gods one may even say. They have Munster and the All-Ireland sown up not just this year, but dare I say it for much of the 2010s as well?

Trying to be a cute hoor again:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm sure I don't know what you two are talking about. I'm simply a Cork man who knows when he is beaten. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

RTE tip Derry, I wouldn’t be two concerned though, if I remember correctly the same article tipped Monaghan to beat us last year in the qualifier match and tipped cork to beat us in the semi-final replay, let’s hope the trend continues

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0424/derry_kerry.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I was just about to post that link. What the heck is that. I've rarely seem them tip Kerry.

I was just about to post that link. What the heck is that. I've rarely seem them tip Kerry.

i always keep an eye out for those type articles on rte, someone obviously has a chip!! The national league reviews were all fair enough this year, they tipped tyrone and galway to beat us but most kerry fans would have done the same!!

Personally i think its a great omen when RTE go against us with their predictions, we did well out of it last year anyway!!:D

For what it's worth i reckon we'll stumble over the line by 3 points on sunday but only after a close run in. I like Derry, they add good football to the northern game of defending in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Kerry team For Allianz National League Final 09
    Ciarraí V Doire Allianz Football League Final 26th April 2009

(1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle) (2) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin) (3) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore) (4) Killian Young (Renard) (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) (7) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) (8) Anthony Maher (Duagh) (9) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O’Rahilly’s)
    (10) Paul Galvin (Finuge ) (11) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) (12) Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain) (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) (15) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahilly’s)

Fir Ionad: Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) David Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) Darragh Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) Tadhg Kennelly (Listowel Emmett’s) Seán O’Sullivan (Cromane) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar) Bryan Sheehan (St Mary’s) Paul O’Connor (Kenmare)

Bainsteoir: Jack O’Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) Traenálaí: Alan O’Sullivan (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) Roghnóirí: Ger O’Keeffe (Austin Stacks) Eamon Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

Christ what a team! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Heard that the team listed might not be 100% as there are fitness tests on some of the players today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Christ what a team! :eek:

Will you stop! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

keane2097 wrote: »

Ah in fairness tis a pretty tasty line-up

I'll be back in July... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

TheKingdom - National Football League Champions 2009 :D

while nobody will care come september, im very happy to have won this and lifted a small monkey of our backs with this today. would have been terrible to lose 4 finals in a row, its a massive boast and will surely help confidence within the camp. the last 3 times we have won the league, we have won the championship. and jack was involved in all 3 of them.

i always keep an eye out for those type articles on rte, someone obviously has a chip!! The national league reviews were all fair enough this year, they tipped tyrone and galway to beat us but most kerry fans would have done the same!!

Personally i think its a great omen when RTE go against us with their predictions, we did well out of it last year anyway!!:D

For what it's worth i reckon we'll stumble over the line by 3 points on sunday but only after a close run in. I like Derry, they add good football to the northern game of defending in numbers.

If only i had put my money where my mouth was!!

I was at the game yesterday and I haven't had the opportunity to watch the highlights yet but here's my penny's worth(in order of priority!);
    1. €9 for a hot chicken roll and a cup of tae??? I know the food element is contracted out but c'mon that is day light robbery!
    2. The crowd very disappointing, 20 odd thousand not enough for the top two divisions of the second most prestigious footballing competition in our annual calender. I think the GAA made the right call by playing it in croke park but maybe they could have marketed it that little bit better and reduced adult tickets further.
    3. M.Quirke great performance, he made up as much ground as he possibly could and fielded brilliantly at various stages during the match (most notably for the goal).
    4. Tommy Walsh excellent too, quietened down a little in the second half but in the first half i thought he was brilliant. He's upper body strength and his ability to run at players could be key to creating goal opportunities come summer.
    5. Cooper brilliant.
    6. T. O'Se was consistent, Darragh and Tadgh both did well when they came on. Tadgh ran well with the ball especially one run down the sideline in front of the Hogan stand which led to him being pulled down and an easy tap over for B.Sheehan. I'd love to see Tadgh at 12 come June 7th.
    7. The Full back line was shaky, I think Tom O'Sullivan is a fine corner back but he's not a full back. Reidy only defended when his man got the ball and Killian looked lost in the other Corner. IMO I think Marc has to start at either full back or corner back for the championship. Some people have been floating the idea over the last few months that he should be played at Centre-Half but i think he's a must in our FB line.
    8. Biggest disappointment I had with the league in general was Bohane not getting more time at FB. I thought he did really well against Dublin there after coming on for A.O'Shea and i was hoping he'd get 70 mins in that position before the league was out.
    6 weeks left now to argue over Kerry's championship 15, that should be straight forward enough given that Jack and his wise men only used 36 players during the campaign!

1. M.Quirke great performance, he made up as much ground as he possibly could and fielded brilliantly at various stages during the match (most notably for the goal).
    2. Tommy Walsh excellent too, quietened down a little in the second half but in the first half i thought he was brilliant. He's upper body strength and his ability to run at players could be key to creating goal opportunities come summer.

Go on the Strand Road men. I've been saying for a long time now how much I disagreed with the notion that Micheál Quirke isn't mobile enough for Intercounty football. I think this league campaign has gone a good way towards proving what an awesome footballer he is.

I think we'll struggle to win an All Ireland this year if we persist with this terrible habit of playing three corner backs in the full back line.

It appeared all our problems had been solved late on last year when Tommy Griffin was put in fullback, shoring up the whole defense and playing very well, only for him to be inexplicably dropped for the All Ireland final.

Cue a MOTM performance from Sean Cavanagh and the end of our bid for a three in a row. Surely this all speaks for itself and the need of a big man as the fulcrum of our defense.

Go on the Strand Road men. I've been saying for a long time now how much I disagreed with the notion that Micheál Quirke isn't mobile enough for Intercounty football. I think this league campaign has gone a good way towards proving what an awesome footballer he is.

I think we'll struggle to win an All Ireland this year if we persist with this terrible habit of playing three corner backs in the full back line.

It appeared all our problems had been solved late on last year when Tommy Griffin was put in fullback, shoring up the whole defense and playing very well, only for him to be inexplicably dropped for the All Ireland final.

Cue a MOTM performance from Sean Cavanagh and the end of our bid for a three in a row. Surely this all speaks for itself and the need of a big man as the fulcrum of our defense.

I must admit before last years replay against Cork I wasn't convinced about Quirke's mobility but after the performance he gave that day i expected the notion to dispel, I'm surprised it's still floating around.

Question for the posters on this forum. Can Darragh and Quirke play in the same midfield partnership? I'd like to see opposition goalkeepers try to vary their kick outs with those two boys staring back at them :p!

Also, some performance by Cork on Sunday. I reckon their going to be there or there abouts come the 3rd Sunday in September. I fancy them to take a big scalp this year (hopefully not us!). If i was to rank title contenders this year i'd place Cork ahead of Galway and Dublin. Why? Their really starting to put together a good mix of players imo, Kerrigan, Goulding (coming into form) and this Alan O'Connor fella these are all lads well capable of being big match winners.

June 7th should be a cracker.

sure as Micko used to say, Cork are the 2nd best team in the country ;)

Wow- Just wow.

Humphrey is magic at times:

Article on Jack O'Connor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0425/1224245376642.html

• Advertisement

Wow- Just wow.

Article on Jack O'Connor

Great article alright - thanks for the share...

Wow- Just wow.

Article on Jack O'Connor

It's a brilliant article. The following caught my eye

“There are usually only two forwards inside. If one is going for the ball the other is looking to block his marker off. So you are looking at two pacey lads in there"

hence maybe why he persists with Tom O'Sullivan FB maybe an indication we might see Marc FB come the summer? Who Knows! Everyteam except derry (in the league match) have played a constant full forward against us obviously only too aware of our weakness there.

I think it's time to start routing through Jack's rubbish bins he's chmpionship 15 has to be in there somewhere!

It's a brilliant article. The following caught my eye

“There are usually only two forwards inside. If one is going for the ball the other is looking to block his marker off. So you are looking at two pacey lads in there"

hence maybe why he persists with Tom O'Sullivan FB maybe an indication we might see Marc FB come the summer? Who Knows! Everyteam except derry (in the league match) have played a constant full forward against us obviously only too aware of our weakness there.

Yeah that's the only bit that I didn't like to read.

Quite simply, he's incorrect. The vast majority of teams that gave us problems last year played a big full-forward against us - Cussen, Bergin, Cavanagh...

Bizarre - none of the Cork Under-21 panel plays with the seniors, while Division 2 is a huge drop down in quality from Division 1. I doubt we will win either, nevermind both and against 'decent' competition this year we have only won one(Armagh), drew one (Kildare) and lost one badly (Monaghan).

Very simply, Kerry have nothing to worry about come munster championship time.

As for who will be full-forward, I have my doubts it will be Cussen - more likely to be Masters, Donnocha or as a longshot Aisake. Again, Conor goes into championship seemingly with little idea as to what his 'best' 15 is, particurly up front.

As i was saying Orizio, Cork will be Division 2 champions and U21 Champions by time they play Kerry on the 7th June. Ironic how ye'r biggest rivals can recognise the talent held by the cork footballers before their own supporters can! ;)

Go on tell us how Kerry are still the team to beat and have nothing to worry about!!:D

As i was saying Orizio, Cork will be Division 2 champions and U21 Champions by time they play Kerry on the 7th June. Ironic how ye'r biggest rivals can recognise the talent held by the cork footballers before their own supporters can! ;)

Go on tell us how Kerry are still the team to beat and have nothing to worry about!!:D

I think we all know who has the incredible track record in September. ;)

I think I've already explained the Monaghan lads were simply toying with us, giving us the illusion of superiority in case we meet in championship. And it was pure luck that beat Down. :) Absolutely nothing to worry about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Brosnan is back in training......

Someone remind me, why wasnt he playing since the all-ireland final? Did he announce a retirement, or a break or what??

He took some time out to relax and head to Oz also I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

He took some time out to relax and head to Oz also I believe.
    Pity, I was hoping he was gone-gone! :P
    Never a Brosnan fan, although he got some mighty goals, he never did it on the big occasion, and struck me a lazy sort of player.

EDIT: I realise how harsh this sounds, sorry I don't have anything personal against him, its just I don't think he's good enough, adn shouldn't take a place on the bench which should be used for a younger lad.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Never a Brosnan fan, although he got some mighty goals, he never did it on the big occasion, and struck me a lazy sort of player.

EDIT: I realise how harsh this sounds, sorry I don't have anything personal against him, its just I don't think he's good enough, adn shouldn't take a place on the bench which should be used for a younger lad.

I hear what you're saying but in my opinion I'm delighted he's back, he'll be hurting like every other Kerry player that played in last years AI and that attitude is vital in a panel full of young players.

His experience could be important don't forget we are a very young team Darren S, maher, moran, walsh, A.O'Shea and young et al all need experienced heads with them this year. So I'm glad he's in the mix but that said he won't walk on to that match day panel!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

DDC1990 wrote: »

Disagree completely. Had some fantastic games on big days.

Controlled midfield with William Kirby in the final against Mayo in 2004, was one of our better players in the final against Tyrone in 2005, brilliant when he came on in the league final against Galway in 2006, got a crucial goal against Armagh in 2006, did well when he came on against Mayo in 2006, was fantastic against Dublin in the semi-final in 2007, and had a good game in the final. Are they big enough occasions?

Last year wasn't his best, but i think he can be a great impact sub.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement