Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Ahead of the new season and starting off with the McGrath Cup wonder who Fitzmaurice will have a look at,I assume these are the players Fitzy will trial over the league before he names a championship panel

David Maloney
    Brendan Kealy
    Brian Kelly

Fionn Fitzgearld
    Daniel Bohane
    Brian Maguire
    Peter Crowley
    Jack Sherwood
    James Walsh
    Marc O Sé
    Tómas O Sé
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Shane Enright
    Eoin Brosnan
    Killian Young

David Moran
    Anthony Maher
    John Buckley
    Bryan Sheehan

Paul Galvin
    Brian Looney
    Mikey Geaney
    Kieran O Leary
    Daithi Casey
    Declan O Sullivan
    James O Donoghoe
    Darran O Sullivan
    Colm Cooper
    Kieran Donaghy
    Donnacha Walsh
    Conor Cox
    Paul Geaney
    Patrick Curtin

Wildcards

Fergal McNamara
    Ambrose O Donovan
    Stephen O'Brien

Anyone think anyone else could dislodge any of these players

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Ahead of the new season and starting off with the McGrath Cup wonder who Fitzmaurice will have a look at,I assume these are the players Fitzy will trial over the league before he names a championship panel

David Maloney
    Brendan Kealy
    Brian Kelly

Fionn Fitzgearld
    Daniel Bohane
    Brian Maguire
    Peter Crowley
    Jack Sherwood
    James Walsh
    Marc O Sé
    Tómas O Sé
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Shane Enright
    Eoin Brosnan
    Killian Young

David Moran
    Anthony Maher
    John Buckley
    Bryan Sheehan

Paul Galvin
    Brian Looney
    Mikey Geaney
    Kieran O Leary
    Daithi Casey
    Declan O Sullivan
    James O Donoghoe
    Darran O Sullivan
    Colm Cooper
    Kieran Donaghy
    Donnacha Walsh
    Conor Cox
    Paul Geaney
    Patrick Curtin

Wildcards

Fergal McNamara
    Ambrose O Donovan
    Stephen O'Brien

Is BJK definitly not on the panel? Heard rumours, but nothing solid.

keane you might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He's dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Is padraig reidy gone too?

Is padraig reidy gone too?

Not sure about him. I guess it's a safe assumption if he's not on the panel.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see the 2 Barry John's get a twist with Kerry this spring time but i just can't see where they would get the chance with the emergence of the 2 Geaneys,Cox,Looney etc.

I guess a good season of County League & County Championship and they will be back in the mix this time next year.

Killian Young is a player i think will need a big league campaign.

Seen Padraig Reidy a few times this year,A different player now but who would make way for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Any word on where David Moran is in terms of fitness?

I think speculating about the state of the panel is a bit early yet.

I presume no-one from Crokes/Fingue/Kenmare is going to be considered for the McGrath cup ?

Between that and a few of the older lads taking a breather combined with the 3rd levels having first call on players I think we could see some "unusual" selections in the McGrath cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

I'd like to see the 2 Barry John's get a twist with Kerry this spring time but i just can't see where they would get the chance with the emergence of the 2 Geaneys,Cox,Looney etc.

I guess a good season of County League & County Championship and they will be back in the mix this time next year.

Killian Young is a player i think will need a big league campaign.

Seen Padraig Reidy a few times this year,A different player now but who would make way for him?

I dont think either of the Barry Johns are up to it had plenty chances both of them. I think Paul O Connor is worth another look at if for nothing else his free taking, we seen this year what happens when Sheehan is missing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

lala88 wrote: »
    I dont think either of the Barry Johns are up to it had plenty chances both of them. I think Paul O Connor is worth another look at if for nothing else his free taking, we seen this year what happens when Sheehan is missing
    Don't think Paul O'Connor has the mental capacity for the Kerry team.

Heard this story from an ex Kerry Footballer, doesn't mean its true, but he'd have no reason to badmouth O'Connor for no reason.

A few years ago when he was on the panel at a Kerry Gaa Golf Charity event, the Bomber came up him and was giving him some football advice. Paul turns to the Bomber and says: "Who the fúck are you to be giving me advice". Didn't last long on the panel after that.

This story coupled with his bizzare walk off incident for the Kenmare District team this year in the Championship, gives me a clue that he's not mentally up for it.

Also, I saw him playing for Kenmare in the Junior final vs Na Gaeil. He didn't stand out at all against a Division 4 team. His freetaking was excellent however.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Don't think Paul O'Connor has the mental capacity for the Kerry team.

Heard this story from an ex Kerry Footballer, doesn't mean its true, but he'd have no reason to badmouth O'Connor for no reason.

A few years ago when he was on the panel at a Kerry Gaa Golf Charity event, the Bomber came up him and was giving him some football advice. Paul turns to the Bomber and says: "Who the fúck are you to be giving me advice". Didn't last long on the panel after that.

This story coupled with his bizzare walk off incident for the Kenmare District team this year in the Championship, gives me a clue that he's not mentally up for it.

Also, I saw him playing for Kenmare in the Junior final vs Na Gaeil. He didn't stand out at all against a Division 4 team. His freetaking was excellent however.

From what iv heard about him i wouldnt be surprised if he didnt say something like that.

The reason for him walking off in the County Championship was because he was going to be sent off and if he had he wouldnt have been able to play in the Junior final.

There is a big need for a second free taker and there arent too many around better them him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

To say I disagree is putting it mildly. BJK is potentially a massive asset for Kerry, invariably uses the ball well, quick, tough enough, very direct and can take a score. He has had disappointing spells in the Kerry team, notably 2011 when he was poor for the entire c/ship until the final when he came on and did very well apart from a couple of errors which unfortunately came at key moments. Last year he was f*cked around by Jack for whatever reason. Played out of position at 11 v Mayo in the last round of the league, whipped off and then hardly seen for the rest of the year. I'm quite disappointed he's gone from the panel...Not too pushed about BJW.

Paul O'Connor is a fine player but has had his chances with Kerry since 2007 and never taken them..his attitude is clearly terrible aswell.

I agree there needs to be another freetaking option in Sheehans absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

David Maloney
    Brendan Kealy
    Brian Kelly

Fionn Fitzgearld
    Daniel Bohane
    Brian Maguire
    Peter Crowley
    Jack Sherwood
    James Walsh
    Marc O Sé
    Tómas O Sé
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Shane Enright
    Eoin Brosnan
    Killian Young

David Moran
    Anthony Maher
    John Buckley
    Bryan Sheehan

Paul Galvin
    Brian Looney
    Mikey Geaney
    Kieran O Leary
    Daithi Casey
    Declan O Sullivan
    James O Donoghoe
    Darran O Sullivan
    Colm Cooper
    Kieran Donaghy
    Donnacha Walsh
    Conor Cox
    Paul Geaney
    Patrick Curtin

Wildcards

Fergal McNamara
    Ambrose O Donovan
    Stephen O'Brien

Ger Reidy has returned from his stint over the last few years in London. Desmond's lacked a solid goalie all last year, if he can get back to the level he was at in 09, being understudy to Diarmuid Murphy, then he will be worth a look imo. Also Ronan Murphy really impressed me for the minors last year, and would surely be worth a shot in a McGrath cup game, even if he is a few years away from being able to make a big impact...

To say I disagree is putting it mildly. BJK is potentially a massive asset for Kerry, invariably uses the ball well, quick, tough enough, very direct and can take a score. He has had disappointing spells in the Kerry team, notably 2011 when he was poor for the entire c/ship until the final when he came on and did very well apart from a couple of errors which unfortunately came at key moments. Last year he was f*cked around by Jack for whatever reason. Played out of position at 11 v Mayo in the last round of the league, whipped off and then hardly seen for the rest of the year. I'm quite disappointed he's gone from the panel...Not too pushed about BJW.

Paul O'Connor is a fine player but has had his chances with Kerry since 2007 and never taken them..his attitude is clearly terrible aswell.

I agree there needs to be another freetaking option in Sheehans absence.

BJK has done well in the league but dont think he's up to it when the pressure is on. At the moment id have the likes of James O Donoghoe, Conor Cox, Paul Geaney, Patrick Curtin and Brian Looney all ahead of him

Paul & Mikey Geaney are both very good long range free takers as is Brian Looney,David Moran & Daithi Casey,Conor Cox can also be reliable from a dead ball so i'm sure that is something Fitzmaurice will make sure we have plenty free takers on the panel.

BJK is a good player but i just think Cox,Geaney,Looney are gone ahead of him in the pecking order,Maybe a year off the panel to rejuvenate himself will do him the world of good,I have no doubt it aint the last time we have seen BJK in a Kerry Jersey.

I have to disagree with lala88 about BJW though,He burst onto the panel straight from Minor in 09, in 2010 he started 2 league games v Dublin & Cork and played very well in both,He also had a good year at u-21 level as well.He went travelling in 2011 so i dont think he has had "Plenty of chances" as you put it.

A good county league & County Championship with Strand Road and he will be flying for next year.

He is a natural and raw talent as the county has ever produced

BJK has done well in the league but dont think he's up to it when the pressure is on. At the moment id have the likes of James O Donoghoe, Conor Cox, Paul Geaney, Patrick Curtin and Brian Looney all ahead of him

Conor Cox? Be honest, how often have you seen him play and where exactly do you think he could play for Kerry right now?

Brian Looney has been with the Kerry panel and been tried out several times before and never made an impression. Given his form with Crokes, he deserves another go if possible in the latter stages of the league.

Curtin and Geaney are strictly corner forwards, BJK is mainly a half forward so they aren't really competing for places.

O'Donoghue is a star who will continue to rise hopefully.

I just love these " I never rated X..." opinions that get thrown out there with no logic or reason behind them...

"Not up to it when the pressure is on" Was the pressure on in the All Ireland last year when he came on and won every hard ball that came his way? He also had the balls to have a crack from way out on the Hogan Stand side which narrowly missed. There goes that theory.

68Murph68 wrote: »

I presume no-one from Crokes/Fingue/Kenmare is going to be considered for the McGrath cup ?

Crokes won't be in action again till feb 12th (i think) So i'm sure they will be looking for match sharpness so i assume they will be available for the McGrath Cup.

My team for McGrath Cup would be

David Maloney

Shane Enright
    Daniel Bohane
    Mike Maloney

Fionn Fitzgearld
    Killian Young
    Donnacha Walsh

John Buckley
    David Moran

Daithi Casey
    Mikey Geaney
    Brian Looney

Kieran O Leary
    Patrick Curtin
    Darran O Sullivan

Subs

Padraig Reidy
    Jonathan Lyne

Ambrose O Donovan

David O Callaghan
    Jaime Doolan

Crokes won't be in action again till feb 12th (i think) So i'm sure they will be looking for match sharpness so i assume they will be available for the McGrath Cup.

My team for McGrath Cup would be

David Maloney

Shane Enright
    Daniel Bohane
    Mike Maloney

Fionn Fitzgearld
    Killian Young
    Donnacha Walsh

John Buckley
    David Moran

Daithi Casey
    Mikey Geaney
    Brian Looney

Kieran O Leary
    Patrick Curtin
    Darran O Sullivan

Subs

Padraig Reidy
    Jonathan Lyne

Ambrose O Donovan

David O Callaghan
    Jaime Doolan

No problem with most of those lads getting a try out Prop, but don't think the Crokes players will be involved until after club c/ship.
    Also, why the devil have you Donnacha Walsh at wing back? He would be destroyed for pace back there and has shown no aptitude whatsoever to play as a defender. Jamie Doolan is simply too light for County level and this was even evident at minor level.

Conor Cox? Be honest, how often have you seen him play and where exactly do you think he could play for Kerry right now?

Brian Looney has been with the Kerry panel and been tried out several times before and never made an impression. Given his form with Crokes, he deserves another go if possible in the latter stages of the league.

Curtin and Geaney are strictly corner forwards, BJK is mainly a half forward so they aren't really competing for places.

O'Donoghue is a star who will continue to rise hopefully.

I just love these " I never rated X..." opinions that get thrown out there with no logic or reason behind them...

"Not up to it when the pressure is on" Was the pressure on in the All Ireland last year when he came on and won every hard ball that came his way? He also had the balls to have a crack from way out on the Hogan Stand side which narrowly missed. There goes that theory.

I seen Cox in all the Under 21 games this year, 3 with the Juniors and 2 county championship games so iv seen a lot of him.

Dont remember Brian Looney ever being on the Kerry senior panel?

Had a go from crazy way out in that game a better player would have looked for a player in a better placed would they not? In fact thats something he does very ofter make the wrong choice when theres a better one on.

Who would you have him ahead of so? Dont think hes better then any of the starting 6 forwards

No problem with most of those lads getting a try out Prop, but don't think the Crokes players will be involved until after club c/ship.
    Also, why the devil have you Donnacha Walsh at wing back? He would be destroyed for pace back there and has shown no aptitude whatsoever to play as a defender. Jamie Doolan is simply too light for County level and this was even evident at minor level.

He plays as a half at club level and with Mid Kerry and has done well there when i seen him. Played there in the county final last year

I seen Cox in all the Under 21 games this year, 3 with the Juniors and 2 county championship games so iv seen a lot of him.

Dont remember Brian Looney ever being on the Kerry senior panel?

Had a go from crazy way out in that game a better player would have looked for a player in a better placed would they not? In fact thats something he does very ofter make the wrong choice when theres a better one on.
    There was absolutely nobody showing for the ball and he was about to be bottled up, but instead of just kicking the ball in field aimlessly (like Donnacha Walsh did in a similar situation from almost the exact spot) where it would have been lost, he had the bottle and range to have a shot. It missed narrowly. I'd rather have a player with the bottle & ability to have a go there than a Walsh or Kieran O'Leary who almost certainly would have been dispossessed.

Who would you have him ahead of so? Dont think hes better then any of the starting 6 forwards

See reply in red above.

Looney was brought in to train with Kerry a few years back. Didn't cut it then, but like I said deserves a go again.

Can't say I'd have BJK on team on form, because we don't know what his form is at that level (although 9pts in a Co. C/ship game isn't bad)..he last got meaningful game time v Mayo in the league last April. What I am saying is that at his best, he is better than Kieran O'Leary and Donnacha Walsh as a half-forward and would offer more than both of them in my view. I agree we haven't seen him kick on as much as I'd hoped after his brilliant performance in the replay in Cork in 2010. He was poor for much of 2011, but came on and did well in the semi final and final. He started 2012 brilliantly with a stellar performance in Croker v Dublin, but somewhere along the line Jack lost faith or fell out with him and he was nothing but a bit part player from then on last year.
    Possibly harping on a bit too much here. Plenty other players and issues to worry about, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of BJK in a Kerry jersey anyway.

• Advertisement

He plays as a half at club level and with Mid Kerry and has done well there when i seen him. Played there in the county final last year

Div 5 football is hardly a barometer for Kerry? As for the Co final last year, he was midfield for most of it..then went Centre back, (not wing back)..big difference as I'm sure you appreciate. He was marking a very one paced player in Daithi Casey which will not happen often at half forward at county level. He didn't do much wrong, but still was nowhere to be seen when Daithi slotted the match winning goal for Crokes.

Its not going to happen anyway so pointless discussing it.

Actually is Donnacha even on the panel for this year? I heard he was going back studying medicine in Dublin?

Just thinking about the squad I think the logical place to start is looking at possible retirements.

In terms of possible retirements, chances are all of the following would fall into the category of being able to walk away with in the morning with their heads high, proud of the service they have done the green-and-gold.

Aidan O'Mahony
    Eoin Brosnan
    Tomas O'Se
    Marc O'Se
    Paul Galvin

Chances are none of these will be retiring this year but all of these five have to fall into the category of needing replacement sooner rather than later camp.

Beyond this there is a solid core to build a team on but its fair to say that there are a fair few spots open in terms of a 30 player squad places. Chances are most people could make a decent stab of naming 25/26/27 out of the championship 30 at this stage but nailing the full 30 is a tricky one.

I'd imagine as a new manager Fitzmaurice is at least looking down the road a year or two.

but somewhere along the line Jack lost faith or fell out with him and he was nothing but a bit part player from then on last year.

Plenty other players and issues to worry about, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of BJK in a Kerry jersey anyway.

Wouldnt be the first time Jack and a player fell out. ;)

I think a part of the BJK's issue was he was trying to nail down a first 15 place in the team. There were a couple of occasions where he looked like a player who was more concerned about getting his own score than doing what was best for the team. It wasn't a huge issue but there were a few occasions where he didnt play the percentages. I remember watching him and getting the sense he felt under a sort of urgent pressure to impress whenever he got on the pitch. As such I can understand why he would have fallen out of favour somewhat. Chances are unless you are a Cooper or a Dec Sullivan you're high odds that you're going to be rotated as a Kerry forward. If you're not a player who's suited to this (compared to say someone like Darren who even if not fully fit offers a manager huge value in terms of coming off a bench) I can understand why you would fall down the pecking order.

He's back in now anyway, no real surprise. Think it was just a rash decision by the new management trying to shake things up tbh.

keane2097 wrote: »
    He's back in now anyway, no real surprise. Think it was just a rash decision by the new management trying to shake things up tbh.

Good to hear it was only pretty much what it looked like.

Hopefully he will(along with a few others) get a good run-out in the league now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

team for the Mcgrath Cup game on Sunday -

1. Brian Kelly

2. Fionn Fitzgerald

3. Marc Ó Sé

4. Shane Enright

5. Jonathan Lyne

6. Jack Sherwood

7. Killian Young

8. Kieran Donaghy

9. Johnny Buckley

10. Mikey Geaney

11. Darran O’Sullivan

12. Michael O’Donoghue

13. Brian Looney

14. Patrick Curtin

15. Paul Geaney

Subs:

16. Brendan Kealy

17. Tomás Ó Sé

18. David Culhane

19. Paul O’Connor

20. Barry John Keane

21. Andrew Garnett

team for the Mcgrath Cup game on Sunday

Decent looking team. A bit suprised to see the Crokes lads involved.

I thought this would be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Decent looking team. A bit suprised to see the Crokes lads involved.

assume its their choice! crokes no doubt will be after having a few weeks off, good chance for them to get some match sharpness in and i cant see these games being a whole lot more competitive than if Crokes were playing challenge games or EK league games in FEB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Strong Killarney contingent on the team, glad to see.

Still wonder if Fionn Fitz is a bit light for intercounty but deserves the shot no doubt about it.

Should be a good game, would love to catch it but can't unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement