Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

D'Agger wrote: »
    Strong Killarney contingent on the team, glad to see.

Still wonder if Fionn Fitz is a bit light for intercounty but deserves the shot no doubt about it.

Should be a good game, would love to catch it but can't unfortunately.

i remember the same was said about Marc at one stage,I would let him stay in there a have a go at it,He is a young man and has time to grow and fill out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Prop Joe wrote: »
    i remember the same was said about Marc at one stage,I would let him stay in there a have a go at it,He is a young man and has time to grow and fill out a bit
    True - he's a great ball player - dependent on skill, should he fill out he could be a very tidy corner back for us

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

D'Agger wrote: »
    Strong Killarney contingent on the team, glad to see.

Still wonder if Fionn Fitz is a bit light for intercounty but deserves the shot no doubt about it.

Should be a good game, would love to catch it but can't unfortunately.

Glad to see Garnett in there, you've been beating that drum for a long time!

Has anyone any update on exactly when and where the league match against Dublin is going to be played? I have a few acquaintances looking to travel down and book accommodation etc.

keane2097 wrote: »

Has anyone any update on exactly when and where the league match against Dublin is going to be played? I have a few acquaintances looking to travel down and book accommodation etc.
    I knew you'd call me if I said it!! :pac:

Well deserved tbf, he's been highly consistent for the Kerry juniors over the past few years so hopefully he can take any chance he's given and try push for the league squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

What age is Garnett? id be guessing 28ish? He seems to be around for a long time

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    What age is Garnett? id be guessing 28ish? He seems to be around for a long time
    28/29 this year alright yeah.

Yeah looking forward to seeing Garnett over the course of the Mcgrath cup,Hopefully he will go up against a couple of top quality midfielders and see how he fares.

Really looking forward to see Damien Somers up against Star & Buckley aswell..

The Dublin game will be on the Sunday in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kinda disappointed that the Dubs game is moved to Killarney,Tralee could have done with a big game bring a bit of life to the town,but it was always going to be moved i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

McGrath Cup result

Kerry 4-22 IT Tralee 0-10 FT

Kerry goals scored by Paul Geaney (2), Mikey Geaney and Patrick Curtin. Kieran Donaghy went off with an ankle injury with 10 mins to go

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Dublin league match on an hour before the Ireland v England rugby. Hope someone has sense and moves it back to 1.30.

• Advertisement

manster wrote: »
    Dublin league match on an hour before the Ireland v England rugby. Hope someone has sense and moves it back to 1.30.

I know what i would rather watch....Maybe they should move the egg chasing forward an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

manster wrote: »

Or play it under lights in Tralee on Sat night in a venue that will be somewhere near capacity and not 3/4 empty like the stadium will be on Sunday.

I know what i would rather watch....Maybe they should move the egg chasing forward an hour

Oh no, you're not one of those are you?

Look, I'm a GAA man first and last, but this is only going to lose people , watching on TV or attending the games live. A lot of people (myself included) would want to watch the rugby and it would make perfect sense for this game to be played under lights in Tralee on Sat night anyway so as not to clash with the 6 nations game.

KevIRL wrote: »
    McGrath Cup result

Kerry 4-22 IT Tralee 0-10 FT

Kerry goals scored by Paul Geaney (2), Mikey Geaney and Patrick Curtin. Kieran Donaghy went off with an ankle injury with 10 mins to go

Facile victory really. UCC will be a better test if they put out anything approaching their strongest team. Interesting that Paul Geaney lined out for Kerry as he is in UCC and colleges are meant to have first call on players.

Tralee IT were so poor today its hard to judge Kerry but i'll rate how i seen it today

Brian Kelly - 7 - Had nowt to do gathered a few balls dropped short and his kickouts were solid

Shane Enright - 8 - Good game against a very tasty forward in Alan O Donoghoe

Marc O Sé - 6 - His man went out the field and looked a little lost but whatever was needed done he did,Subbed at H/T with the game over

Fionn Fitzgearld - 9 - Was out in front of his man every time,won a couple of dangerous balls put in,Excellent performance

Killian Young - 5 - Poor,alot of unforced errors a looked unfit,Has struggled over the past 12 months

Jack Sherwood - 7 - Did what he was asked of,Picked up a few breaks,Looking forward to seeing him against better opposition

Jonathan Lyne - 3 - Looked good going forward but defending was abysmal,Could of got the line in the 1st half for a late tackle.

John Buckley - 8 - Played quite well,Tore forward when he got the chance kicking a few points a quality performance

Kieran Donaghy - 9 - Probably MOTM,Won kickout after kickout in the middle and used the ball very well,His role in Mikey Geaney's goal was exactly what we expect from Star

Mikey Geaney - 8 - Great game from the Dingle man,Ran at Tralee at every opportunity scored a good goal and will look forward to seeing him in the National League

Darran O Sullivan - 7 - Used the ball well when he got it,Kicked 1 or 2 points,Subbed at H/T

Mike O Donoghoe - 1 - Didnt even know he was there

Paul Geaney - 8 - a couple of goals and a shot of points will leave Paul very happy leaving Killarney this evening,A top quality forward

Pat Curtin - 7- Scored as good a goal as you are likely to see this year,Thrown in with a rake of points but one thing strikes me about Curtin is that he seems very slow on the ball,not as slick as a P.Geaney or James O'D. Jury still out

Brian Looney - 9 - What a game,Is as complete a footballer as there is in the county at the moment,His passing was top quality as was his point scoring including a lovely 45

David Culhane - 7 - Went in at full back at H/T,Took care of everything that came his way played decent but the ball rarely entered the Kerry half in the 2nd half

Barry John Keane - 8 - Looked lively,Looked for everyball and kicked some beauty's,Plenty fire in his belly,Delighted he has got another chance

Paul O Connor - 7 - Wasnt on the field long but had a couple of goal chances and kicked a couple of points,Had a few more chances that he dragged wide but Tralee had really thrown in the towel at that stage

Tomas O Sé - ? - Think he only touched the ball once or twice great to see him back

Andrew Garnett - ? - Again didnt get much activity put plucked one beauty out from the sky,Looking forward to seeing him further on in this competition

Oh no, you're not one of those are you?

Look, I'm a GAA man first and last, but this is only going to lose people , watching on TV or attending the games live. A lot of people (myself included) would want to watch the rugby and it would make perfect sense for this game to be played under lights in Tralee on Sat night anyway so as not to clash with the 6 nations game.

Well the game was fixed for the Sunday for a reason,Doubt anyone planning on travelling from Dublin would be effected by the rugger,Neither anyone in Kerry.

To be honest the majority in Kerry i would think would rather watch Kerry go to battle with the old enemy Dublin,Than England v Oireland

Well the game was fixed for the Sunday for a reason,Doubt anyone planning on travelling from Dublin would be effected by the rugger,Neither anyone in Kerry.

To be honest the majority in Kerry i would think would rather watch Kerry go to battle with the old enemy Dublin,Than England v Oireland

This is a bizarre statement, I would be amazed if the vast, vast majority of people wouldn't watch both given the opportunity.

The game was fixed for Sunday because it had to be on in Fitzgerald Stadium because they need the cash and have no lights to hold it on Sat night, lets call a spade a shovel here.

Your use of the words "rugger" and "Oireland" to describe a 32 county Irish team that I think you'll find a lot of Kerry football people watch regularly, would seem to indicate an attitude akin to the "Ban" era towards rugby...but its pointless debating any of this as the fixture will go ahead as planned now obviously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Now now folks, lets not feed the troll

This is a bizarre statement, I would be amazed if the vast, vast majority of people wouldn't watch both given the opportunity.

You have missed my point,I understand that everyone would like to watch both myself included,But it has not been scheduled that way,I doubt the rugby match will impact on attendance that is my point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

You have missed my point,I understand that everyone would like to watch both myself included,But it has not been scheduled that way,I doubt the rugby match will impact on attendance that is my point

I would be shocked if it doesn't.

Fireball07 wrote: »

I would be shocked if it doesn't.

By what? 2%,5%,10% I doubt it would be very high.

Regardless onwards and upwards and look forward to next Sunday.UCC in Killarney

By what? 2%,5%,10% I doubt it would be very high.

I don't know about percentages, but I'm sure there'd be a good few people who would generally go along to a big league game against Dublin...but wouldn't because the rugby match is of higher relative importance.

I don't know about percentages, but I'm sure there'd be a good few people who would generally go along to a big league game against Dublin...but wouldn't because the rugby match is of higher relative importance.

:eek:

You disagree?

You disagree?

I'll agree to disagree :D

I'll agree to disagree :D

I'm obviously not talking about solely dedicated Kerry fans, I'm talking about people who would hold an equal interest in both sports.

For example, I love Limerick GAA, Limerick FC, Sunderland AFC, Munster Rugby, and Ireland's international football and rugby teams. All on a similar scale. Therefore you have to prioritise... one of Ireland's biggest internationals would beat a Limerick league match for me. Preferably, I'd get to see both.

That's it like. The attitude of "fuck them if they're not GAA fans first, foremost and only" belongs to the past. The GAA should be doing everything it can to embrace sports fans of all sorts, be they rugby/soccer people with an interest in GAA or whatever else.

Fixing games to clash with other events inconveniences everyone, GAA people with other interests included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

On a side note, nice to see Duagh win the NKC yesterday and commiserations to Beale, to lose 2 in a row must be very tough but at least they are moving in the right direction. A title cant be far away for them. Love championship football, where you are in the league doesnt matter a ****

• Advertisement

You're not seriously telling me that in the general scheme of things in Irish sport that a 6 nations game is of less importance than a national league game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement