Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

You're not seriously telling me that in the general scheme of things in Irish sport that a 6 nations game is of less importance than a national league game?

Rather not be drawn back into this conversation and of course i don't " in the general scheme of things in Irish sport.My point was that the attendance of a Kerry v Dublin NFL game in Killarney would not attract a huge neutral crowd.

I find it hard to believe a huge number of Dublin fans will not travel to Killarney for the game because of missing the rugby

Also the same with the Kerry fans.

Having said that i have no doubt in my mind the majority would love to watch both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Rather not be drawn back into this conversation and of course i don't " in the general scheme of things in Irish sport.My point was that the attendance of a Kerry v Dublin NFL game in Killarney would not attract a huge neutral crowd.

I find it hard to believe a huge number of Dublin fans will not travel to Killarney for the game because of missing the rugby

Also the same with the Kerry fans.

Having said that i have no doubt in my mind the majority would love to watch both

So you don't disagree with Fireball that the rugby game "is of higher general importance" then?

I happen to know quite a few people who would attend most 6 nations home games, but would also be Kerry season ticket holders and would be at both games if they could, but that's not the point. The point is, it is silly for the GAA to be putting on games (especially games where a clear alternative time is available) clashing with big rugby/soccer games as it is only going to lose possible attendees and annoy many of the supporters who (like me) will go to the Kerry game, but would very much like to see both.

So you don't disagree with Fireball that the rugby game "is of higher general importance" then?

Maybe to neutral fans,But to Kerry & Dub GAA fans i find that hard to believe.
    it is silly for the GAA to be putting on games (especially games where a clear alternative time is available) clashing with big rugby/soccer games

This was orginally supposed to be a Sat night game in Tralee but it was obviously changed for a good reason i'm sure if they could it would not clash with the England game.

But in fairness what constitutes a game being big enough to change the time,OK a big 6 nations game v England would have to be considered,What about a Champions Lge Final? Or a Man U V City game? A RaboPro12 game? The Gold Cup? The Spanish Grand Prix?

Proof is in the pudding,If the attendance in Killarney is smaller than the last time the dubs played there i will eat my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would expect even Dublin and Kerry players to realise that a Six Nations match between Ireland and England is a bigger sporting event than an early rounds National League game. It's not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would expect even Dublin and Kerry players to realise that a Six Nations match between Ireland and England is a bigger sporting event than an early rounds National League game. It's not even close.
    Not if you don't care much for the rugger it isn't. Or is rugby still the heartbeat of the nation? Are we still in rugby country?

• Advertisement

Not if you don't care much for the rugger it isn't. Or is rugby still the heartbeat of the nation? Are we still in rugby country?

It doesn't really matter. The World Cup final is a bigger sporting event than the O'Byrne Cup final as a matter of objective fact whether you care about soccer or not.

It doesn't really matter. The World Cup final is a bigger sporting event than the O'Byrne Cup final as a matter of objective fact whether you care about soccer or not.
    Of course it matters. Rugby could be playing on your doorstep and if you didn't like it you wouldnt go. Gods make their own importance as a wise man once said.

Of course it matters. Rugby could be playing on your doorstep and if you didn't like it you wouldnt go. Gods make their own importance as a wise man once said.

Have you been following the discussion to this point or have you just decided to weigh in now to tell us that people who don't like rugby don't like rugby?

Have you been following the discussion to this point or have you just decided to weigh in now to tell us that people who don't like rugby don't like rugby?
    I have a lot of time for rugby, I just find your argument bizarre.

I have a lot of time for rugby, I just find your argument bizarre.

ok

• Advertisement

ok
    We cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Spot on

I could care less if there is rugby on TV or anywhere else, I will still be more interested in a NFL game.

I am delighted that the powers that be did not make any changes to this fixture just beacuse there happened to be a rugby game on TV

A Saturday night game would have suited travelling Dublin fans perhaps but a Sunday game will get more Kerry people to attend, regardless what is on TV

I will go to it with my wife and kids on a Sunday but if it was a Saturday only my wife or myself would be able to make it.

It really sickened me back a few years ago when the NHL final was scheduled for 7pm ish on a bank holiday Sunday evening, all because Munster were playing a rugby match that afternoon IN FRANCE !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

A Saturday night game would have suited travelling Dublin fans perhaps but a Sunday game will get more Kerry people to attend, regardless what is on TV

I'd like to think the aim of the GAA is to get as many people at the matches in order to make more money from events. Particularly as this is a game between two teams who have history and are amongst the top sides in the country.

Therefore it makes little sense to play it on a Sunday as opposed to a Saturday night which would most likely bring more Dub fans down, creating a better atmosphere for a game.

It really sickened me back a few years ago when the NHL final was scheduled for 7pm ish on a bank holiday Sunday evening, all because Munster were playing a rugby match that afternoon IN FRANCE !!!!!

I don't recall this tbh, I can imagine that the Munster game wasn't exactly a friendly now was it? And why do you think the GAA changed it? Money.

You talk about the GAA as though they're a non-profit organization getting bullied by professional sports.

At the end of the day if the GAA want to maximize revenue and try to get crowds back at games, then they need to play matches at times that will give them the best crowd.

Ignoring the Ireland vs. England 6 nations match is foolish move

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I was told that if Finuge win their semi the Intermediate Club Final is on the 9th in Croke Park which was the reason the Kerry game was switched to the Sunday,now if they want to get a good decent crowd at the game I think all games on that Sunday should have a 1.30 throw in time

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'd like to think the aim of the GAA is to get as many people at the matches in order to make more money from events. Particularly as this is a game between two teams who have history and are amongst the top sides in the country.

Therefore it makes little sense to play it on a Sunday as opposed to a Saturday night which would most likely bring more Dub fans down, creating a better atmosphere for a game.

I don't recall this tbh, I can imagine that the Munster game wasn't exactly a friendly now was it? And why do you think the GAA changed it? Money.

You talk about the GAA as though they're a non-profit organization getting bullied by professional sports.

At the end of the day if the GAA want to maximize revenue and try to get crowds back at games, then they need to play matches at times that will give them the best crowd.

Ignoring the Ireland vs. England 6 nations match is foolish move

Here is the thread about the 2010 NHL final
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882474&page=2

The point is that the presence of a rugby game on TV is not going to make a huge dent in the numbers that would attend a NFL game between two top sides, and thus the GAA are correct to put it on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Im aware of what your point is, Im stating otherwise and the past would tend to show that it would affect the game - why else would the gaa move a hurling league final for a munster game?

Because other sports, even those against our oldest enemy on the international stage, will have an impact.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Im aware of what your point is, Im stating otherwise and the past would tend to show that it would affect the game - why else would the gaa move a hurling league final for a munster game?

Because other sports, even those against our oldest enemy on the international stage, will have an impact.

But how badly would Munster playing a game on satellite TV, being played in France affect the number going to a NHL final ?

And as was the case at the time it did a fair disservice to those from Galway attending the game

I really cannot figure why they did that to this day.

It's way off topic for the Kerry thread too, so apologies for that

But how badly would Munster playing a game on satellite TV, being played in France affect the number going to a NHL final ?

And as was the case at the time it did a fair disservice to those from Galway attending the game

I really cannot figure why they did that to this day.

It's way off topic for the Kerry thread too, so apologies for that

In that thread from 2010, you stated:

"The sooner this Munster bandwagon crashes the better"

..so it's quite obvious you are far from objective on this issue. What exactly is your mindset when it comes to rugby, genuinely would be interested to know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

..so it's quite obvious you are far from objective on this issue. What exactly is your mindset when it comes to rugby, genuinely would be interested to know?

I agree i for one cant wait for the Rugby bandwagon to come too and end!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads and ladies, can ye get off the rugby bandwagon and back on topic please

• Advertisement

Tadgh Kennelly when asked on Terrace Talk tonight would not rule out playing for Kerry this year..What ye guys think? I'm sure he could add something to the team

Tadgh Kennelly when asked on Terrace Talk tonight would not rule out playing for Kerry this year..What ye guys think? I'm sure he could add something to the team

Ah ffs..:rolleyes:

The man is barely fit to play NK c/ship and still we get this stuff?

By not rule in out im sure he means if they come ask him he'll go play....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Would love to see him back -add another dimension to Kerry v Cork games...he'd be handy at the old rugger aswell I'd say:pac:

I do not like rugby, never did, never will
    I have no interest in it, I could not care less if Ireland win loose or draw.

However I find the whole Muster support a greatest bandwagon in the history of Irish sports.
    Fair enough you have folk from Limerick and Cork and to a lesser extend other parts of Munster that have followed them since they were a province, but since they have become a professional franchise it has been a bandwagon.
    It's hilarious to see folk from Mayo or Longford down the pub in their Munster gear shouting them on.
    Do they not have their own professional rugby franchises to support ?

And for the life of me I cannot figure why the GAA decided to put a NHL Final involving Galway on at 7pm on a Sunday just because they though they would loose out on fans as Munster were playing a semi-final, on pay subscription TV, in France that afternoon
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Would love to see him back -add another dimension to Kerry v Cork games...he'd be handy at the old rugger aswell I'd say:pac:

Bringing him back is the last thing Kerry need right now.
    They need new young players, not 30 something retirees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I do not like rugby, never did, never will
    I have no interest in it, I could not care less if Ireland win lose or draw.

However I find the whole Muster support a greatest bandwagon in the history of Irish sports.
    Fair enough you have folk from Limerick and Cork and to a lesser extend other parts of Munster that have followed them since they were a province, but since they have become a professional franchise it has been a bandwagon.
    It's hilarious to see folk from Mayo or Longford down the pub in their Munster gear shouting them on.
    Do they not have their own professional rugby franchises to support ?

And for the life of me I cannot figure why the GAA decided to put a NHL Final involving Galway on at 7pm on a Sunday just because they though they would lose out on fans as Munster were playing a semi-final, on pay subscription TV, in France that afternoon

Bringing him back is the last thing Kerry need right now.
    They need new young players, not 30 something retirees
    Find it strange that you dont care one iota who a team representing your country does, even if you dont particularly care for the sport. They are people representing yor country,surely there's some nationalistic pride somewhere inside you?
    Since the beginning of the professional era the number of games the provinces have played a season has increased every few seasons until 3/4 seasons ago when the italian sides joined the celtic league. Now the provinces have a minimum of 28 games so
    The munster support is not "bandwagonning". There is now more games in total, more games on television, more chances for people to see them
    What about the large number of rugby supporters from tipperary/clare/waterford/kerry who have been supporting the province since the beginning?
    Of course success will bring in new supporters, thats the same in every sport.
    People have to start somewhere when picking up a new sport and successful teams will always bring in more supporters than non successfull sides
    The GAA moved the final as they thought theyd lose out on fans who would have watched both and the rugby would not be moved.
    Sorry clareman and the other mods for continuing this off topic discussion

ormond lad wrote: »
    Find it strange that you dont care one iota who a team representing your country does, even if you dont particularly care for the sport. They are people representing yor country,surely there's some nationalistic pride somewhere inside you?
    Since the beginning of the professional era the number of games the provinces have played a season has increased every few seasons until 3/4 seasons ago when the italian sides joined the celtic league. Now the provinces have a minimum of 28 games so
    The munster support is not "bandwagonning". There is now more games in total, more games on television, more chances for people to see them
    What about the large number of rugby supporters from tipperary/clare/waterford/kerry who have been supporting the province since the beginning?
    Of course success will bring in new supporters, thats the same in every sport.
    People have to start somewhere when picking up a new sport and successful teams will always bring in more supporters than non successfull sides
    The GAA moved the final as they thought theyd lose out on fans who would have watched both and the rugby would not be moved.
    Sorry clareman and the other mods for continuing this off topic discussion

I dont care now Ireland do in Rugby and have no problem in saying it. In fact i even enjoy hearing there excuses when they lose! it is a bandwagon and nothing else and like i said the sooner it ends the better, and that will be soon.

Its not onlt Rugby i dont care about i for one wasnt on the Katie Talyor bandwagon (again thats what it was). Even in Kerry im no fan of ladies football and when Kerry got to the final this year it didnt interest me one bit.

I dont buy into this you have to support a team/person just because they repasent the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

lala88 wrote: »
    I dont care now Ireland do in Rugby and have no problem in saying it. In fact i even enjoy hearing there excuses when they lose! it is a bandwagon and nothing else and like i said the sooner it ends the better, and that will be soon.

Its not onlt Rugby i dont care about i for one wasnt on the Katie Talyor bandwagon (again thats what it was). Even in Kerry im no fan of ladies football and when Kerry got to the final this year it didnt interest me one bit.

I dont buy into this you have to support a team/person just because they repasent the country

LOL I'm not sure you fully understand the term 'bandwagon'.

You don't like something, very well, thats your prerogative. But why do you feel the need to dismiss anyone that does follow such pursuits as bandwagoners? Are you that insecure about your own position, smells like fear to me ;)

Personally I am an active member of my local Gaa club, I am also currently a committee member and I attend every club and intercounty game I possibly can.........but I am also a season ticket holder in Thomond Park, I usually vist Parkhead at least three times a season and I attend Cheltenham every year. I am a sports fan and I don't think my passion for other sports in any way dilutes my love for the others. You obviously disagree??

I never got why so-called "bandwagons" were inherently something to be looked down the nose at in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wonder will we see many changes to the team for the UCC game next weekend?Donaghy looks to be a major doubt for it

As for Tadhg if he wants to come back in,I dont think he would be turned away,be a great man to have on the panel
    even it meant him coming off the bench as an "impact" sub.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement