Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

fwiw I think Kennelly's time has came and gone. He had a year, won an AI medal and an all star. Dont see why he would want to come back. We should be looking at bringing through the next generation now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

lala88 wrote: »
    I dont care now Ireland do in Rugby and have no problem in saying it. In fact i even enjoy hearing there excuses when they lose! it is a bandwagon and nothing else and like i said the sooner it ends the better, and that will be soon.

Its not onlt Rugby i dont care about i for one wasnt on the Katie Talyor bandwagon (again thats what it was). Even in Kerry im no fan of ladies football and when Kerry got to the final this year it didnt interest me one bit.

I dont buy into this you have to support a team/person just because they repasent the country

quick question .... why are the ladies representing Kerry in the same sport as the men not worthy of a little support ? Do you feel the same about the Kerry hurlers? I'm not having a go am genuinely curious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

JFlah wrote: »
    quick question .... why are the ladies representing Kerry in the same sport as the men not worthy of a little support ? Do you feel the same about the Kerry hurlers? I'm not having a go am genuinely curious

Good question JFlah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

LOL I'm not sure you fully understand the term 'bandwagon'.

You don't like something, very well, thats your prerogative. But why do you feel the need to dismiss anyone that does follow such pursuits as bandwagoners? Are you that insecure about your own position, smells like fear to me ;)

Personally I am an active member of my local Gaa club, I am also currently a committee member and I attend every club and intercounty game I possibly can.........but I am also a season ticket holder in Thomond Park, I usually vist Parkhead at least three times a season and I attend Cheltenham every year. I am a sports fan and I don't think my passion for other sports in any way dilutes my love for the others. You obviously disagree??

Said like a pure Ruby ''fan''. What is it that we all fear? Thats some all you Rugby people say. Another good one is people are jealous, what is it that people are jealous of? All there ''success''? When Rugby goes back into obscurity we'll see where all the die hard fans who have come out of the woodwork will be.

Just not interested in it simple as. I happen to be a big fan of the Kerry hurlers and go to most of there games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

As someone who loves rugby and GAA equally, I don't understand the animosity tbh (it's not a one-way thing either). I went to my first match in Thomond Park around the same time I went to my first intercounty hurling match.

Anyway, I just think that the GAA know fans of the sports overlap, to get as high an attendance as possible, it makes sense to not have big matches clashing with big matches from other sports.

Just not interested in it simple as. I happen to be a big fan of the Kerry hurlers and go to most of there games

I would be fan of all Kerry teams,be the hurlers,the footballers both male and female and not to forget the handballers who always tend to be forgotten,they all train just as hard to represent our county.

Your entitled to your opinion,each to their own.

Cheers for the reply, each to his/her own as they say

Said like a pure Ruby ''fan''. What is it that we all fear? Thats some all you Rugby people say. Another good one is people are jealous, what is it that people are jealous of? All there ''success''? When Rugby goes back into obscurity we'll see where all the die hard fans who have come out of the woodwork will be.

Don't expect that return to obscurity any time too soon though.In fairness Munster in particular have had a very strong support base for a long time it's just that with more and more merchandise it has become more visible; also before the advent of the Heineken Cup in particular visible outlets for provincial rugby supporters to show their affinity were limited.

You really really don't like the rugby do you :)

On a Kerry note .. what you reckon the outlook for the hurlers this year ? hopefully not more under achievement!

Don't expect that return to obscurity any time too soon though.In fairness Munster in particular have had a very strong support base for a long time it's just that with more and more merchandise it has become more visible; also before the advent of the Heineken Cup in particular visible outlets for provincial rugby supporters to show their affinity were limited.

You really really don't like the rugby do you :)

On a Kerry note .. what you reckon the outlook for the hurlers this year ? hopefully not more under achievement!

No i dont and have no problem telling anyone that i dont!

Hard to say really. Was a pretty disappointing year last year, the fact the league changed didnt help matters as well. Hard to know where there at really, still a good bit behind the likes of Carlow and Westmeath. Winning the Christy Ring was great in 2011 however they won it without the two of them, Carlow more over who they havent beat since 2004 i think. A new manager should be a good thing however.

The big problem is the clubs, North Kerry teams playing eachother far too much. South Kerry coming into the county championship this year should shake things up a bit

• Advertisement

Hard to say really. Was a pretty disappointing year last year, the fact the league changed didnt help matters as well. Hard to know where there at really, still a good bit behind the likes of Carlow and Westmeath. Winning the Christy Ring was great in 2011 however they won it without the two of them, Carlow more over who they havent beat since 2004 i think. A new manager should be a good thing however.

The big problem is the clubs, North Kerry teams playing eachother far too much. South Kerry coming into the county championship this year should shake things up a bit

Yeah I,d have to agree the club structure is killing us, such a shame they are all so close geographically. It'd be great to get the full commitment from the best in the county, if so we have a decent squad and imo would not be too far away from Carlow Westmeath, the difference is the players in those counties have bought into the ethos and vision that they have, not sure if our lads do/will. Still we can but hope solid league and very good run in Christy Ring at least.

Yeah I,d have to agree the club structure is killing us, such a shame they are all so close geographically. It'd be great to get the full commitment from the best in the county, if so we have a decent squad and imo would not be too far away from Carlow Westmeath, the difference is the players in those counties have bought into the ethos and vision that they have, not sure if our lads do/will. Still we can but hope solid league and very good run in Christy Ring at least.

What is holding us back as well is at school level. Causeway are doing great work and having a team in the Harty Cup is good but we really need a Kerry Colleges team at every level. On the other side i seen Mounthawk had a team playing in the Munster Under 16 C championship (i think it was).

We also need to have teams competing at ever level at underage, no point having a minor team play in Munster when they havent been playing at that level at Under 14 etc.

Hurling really needs to take off in Tralee and Killerany. Crokes are doing good work and hopefully they will be able to compete at senior level soon. Legion have started up underage teams witch is good, would also be great if St. Pats started up underage teams. Hopefully Tralee Parnells will take off as well, the last few years Na Gaeil have had underage teams and it would be great for Stacks got going at underage as the more teams the better

That's if South Kerry can field a competitive team,last time they played in the championship they fielded a poor team and there best players minded themselves for the Intermediate Club Championship,they got hammered,Kenmare won the minor a few years back so the talent is there just a matter of seen will the interest be there this year,I think the future of Kerry hurling would be the clubs entering the Limerick County Leagues if that was possible,there was talk last year about trying a get the Munster League back up and running,if taken seriously that could be a massive benefit to the club hurling in Kerry,be better playing Intermediate/Senior clubs from other counties in competitive games then playing them in half arsed challenge matches.

That's if South Kerry can field a competitive team,last time they played in the championship they fielded a poor team and there best players minded themselves for the Intermediate Club Championship,they got hammered,Kenmare won the minor a few years back so the talent is there just a matter of seen will the interest be there this year,I think the future of Kerry hurling would be the clubs entering the Limerick County Leagues if that was possible,there was talk last year about trying a get the Munster League back up and running,if taken seriously that could be a massive benefit to the club hurling in Kerry,be better playing Intermediate/Senior clubs from other counties in competitive games then playing them in half arsed challenge matches.

The Kenmare team that won the minor championship were really a South Kerry team, have done well at Under 21 the last few years as well. Yes if they were to bring back the Munster Senior League would be good for the Kerry clubs. We've seen the last 2 years when Ballyduff have come up short in the Munster Intermediate Championship. I think it would be for the best if the North Kerry league was done away with for the senior teams anyway and they play in Limerick. The North Kerry B teams and Stacks should still play in the North Kerry league though. The likes of Crokes, Kenmare etc should play in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

I would be fan of all Kerry teams,be the hurlers,the footballers both male and female and not to forget the handballers who always tend to be forgotten,they all train just as hard to represent our county.

Your entitled to your opinion,each to their own.
    What about the Rounders' sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What about the Rounders' sides?

There aren't any.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lads, I don't see what a lot of this has to do with Kerry GAA or why it's not being carried out over PM or another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Clareman wrote: »
    Lads, I don't see what a lot of this has to do with Kerry GAA or why it's not being carried out over PM or another thread.
    Should I set up a thread to discuss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Mod snip

From the Charter
    Questioning moderator decisions in thread will be deleted, repeated violations of this and the user will be banned as such action takes a thread off topic

back to topic ... any predictions from a Kerry point of view for year ahead both intercounty and/or club

• Advertisement

Mod snip

From the Charter

Really? I didn't question anything...and there was no mod "decision" to question in any case so I don't think I've violated the charter to be honest, but its not a big deal.

Senior Hurling Championship 2013

9 teams participating this year so their will be 3 Groups of 3 with top team in each Group qualifying for S/Finals and play-off between 2nd placed team in each group for last S/Final position. In Group stages where teams finish on same number of points - result of game and scoring difference will apply, while in play-offs for 4th S/Final spot their will be extra time.

Good idea. The more games teams play the better

Senior Hurling Championship 2013

9 teams participating this year so their will be 3 Groups of 3 with top team in each Group qualifying for S/Finals and play-off between 2nd placed team in each group for last S/Final position. In Group stages where teams finish on same number of points - result of game and scoring difference will apply, while in play-offs for 4th S/Final spot their will be extra time.

Good idea. The more games teams play the better

Is this set in stone? Or is it your own view on how it should be run off?

Is this set in stone? Or is it your own view on how it should be run off?

Seen it on the Kerry hurling Facebook page so would think its true. Iv taught for a wile something along the lines of that was done

Seen it on the Kerry hurling Facebook page so would think its true. Iv taught for a wile something along the lines of that was done

I dunno will it be a good thing or not have to wait and see,I thought the format the last few years worked well but that couldn't work with 9 teams sure,hope it starts early this year,give the players a chance to play a bit of hurling when hurling should be played in the summer.......thats if we get a summer this year :)

I dunno will it be a good thing or not have to wait and see,I thought the format the last few years worked well but that couldn't work with 9 teams sure,hope it starts early this year,give the players a chance to play a bit of hurling when hurling should be played in the summer.......thats if we get a summer this year :)

More games will be better but had to know if it will just be the same old story. Something i think should be brought in is relegation, it may not sound like a good idea but it would take the North Kerry teams out of there comfort zone and make them have to make a shape or go down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nice to see a bit of sense prevailing:
    Kingdom seek time change
    10 January 2013

Kerry GAA will approach Croke Park about the possibility of bringing their NFL game versus Dublin in Killarney on February 10th forward to avoid a clash with Ireland's home Six Nations fixture against England.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=183431

keane2097 wrote: »
    Nice to see a bit of sense prevailing:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=183431

Great to see some common sense prevailing. Would be great (for me personally anyway)to get to see both matches as they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

McGrath Cup semi tomorrow,Decent team named for it,Although heard Paul Geaney is doubtful for the match.Looking forward to Sheehan's return,Also hope BJK gets a good run.

Limerick will be tough and i expect intensity to be way up on the UCC game.

Hope Darran shows a bit more than he has in the last few games & please god Stam does something he has been invisible the last few games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Who stood out in the UCC game lads - was away and haven't had a chance to look into it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement