Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

There's a good pull out on the Football championship in today's tribune, the majority tip Kerry. One of the few that doesn't tip kerry is.....wait for it........you'll be shocked...........Liam Hayes!!

He tries to justify his stance on picking Cork as Munster champions (which is very plausible) and Dublin as All Ireland Champions by stating the clash of the big guns early doors and a very tight qualifier draw with the big teams to be involved early. But i can't help thinking his scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and put Kerry down.

Maybe it's just my built in arrogance for Kerry GAA but i can't help thinking he's just chasing Pat Spillane's controversial shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Bad news for Kerry

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0513/donaghyk.html
    Kerry's Championship hopes were dealt a significant blow after confirmation last night that All Star Kieran Donaghy has been ruled out for at least ten weeks.

Reports in today's Irish Examiner suggest the Austin Stacks man will undergo an operation today on the stress fracture of the foot picked up in the National League final victory over Derry at Croke Park.

He is definitely out of the Kingdom's Munster Championship opener against Cork on 7 June and the provincial decider on 5 July, should Kerry beat the Rebels.

He is expected to be available should Kerry advance to the quarter-final stage in August, but this latest setback is perhaps the worst in a long list of casualties, with Killian Young (shoulder), Tommy Walsh (hamstring), Paul Galvin (groin), Tadhg Kennelly (hand), and Eoin Brosnan (hamstring) all on the treatment table.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Bummer.

But sure Tommy Walsh was outstanding in the league in Full forward and it frees up a starting berth for Kennelly in the half forward line.

I wouldn't be overly worried. Kerry have the depth to cover it.

Most of those players will be back for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hi guys,

can anyone help me out:

Does anybody know of any shops (probably second hand shops!) that have Mick O'Connells autobiography 'A Kerry Footballer'.

Really like to get my hands on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Try ebay?

• Advertisement

checked it already, only 1 listing looking for 60 euro. Bit much.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Bummer.

But sure Tommy Walsh was outstanding in the league in Full forward and it frees up a starting berth for Kennelly in the half forward line.

I wouldn't be overly worried. Kerry have the depth to cover it.

Most of those players will be back for the championship.

This time last year I would have been very worried but having come through a league campaign where we played 35 players i'm holding off on the panic mode for a few weeks.

We'll miss his leadership when the chips are down, like last year against cork in the semi when he came out midfield and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.

Tadhg to come in on the wing, darren in the corner and the other four pick themselves. Here's my forward line below;

P.Galvin Dec.O'Sullivan Tadhg Kennelly

D.O'Sullivan T.Walsh Gooch

Great news on Scanlon back in training hopefully his early league form is back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Great win for the minors last night and tipp beat cork.
    After the ease with whih we dispatched tipp already- this should be the minor championship in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

can anyone help me out:

Does anybody know of any shops (probably second hand shops!) that have Mick O'Connells autobiography 'A Kerry Footballer'.

Really like to get my hands on this.

With regards to the great Micko, He is going to do the official opening of Deenach Lodge Tearooms in Killarney on Saturday 23rd @ 2pm. So if anyone wants to meet the great man please feel free to come along

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well the seniors had a challenge match against Meath today in Fitzgerald's Stadium and won it by 1point. Jeez, that Meath team are really young. They will be some force in the future but definitely not for a few years to come. Good match but don't think either side took much away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well the seniors had a challenge match against Meath today in Fitzgerald's Stadium and won it by 1point. Jeez, that Meath team are really young. They will be some force in the future but definitely not for a few years to come. Good match but don't think either side took much away from it.

who played where etc etc?

I thought I said it all above ... Kerry played Meath in the Fitzgerald's Stadium in a friendly match etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I think he meant what was the starting 15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I thought I said it all above ... Kerry played Meath in the Fitzgerald's Stadium in a friendly match etc etc
    newman10 wrote: »
    I think he meant what was the starting 15

That is funny stuff there.

Galway beat cork something like 4-14 to 3-14 in Limerick a couple of nights ago.

Fella i asked was from Galway and all he could tell me was Cussen wasnt full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

sslazio11 wrote: »
    Last year wasn't his best, but i think he can be a great impact sub.

Brosnan I believe has retired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

johnnyc wrote: »
    Brosnan I believe has retired?

He just took an extended break - was back in training with the Kerry team week before last.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I can't see what role he's likely to play in the team, although I suppose it will help competition within the squad somewhat which I've repeatedly said is absolutely vital this year.

I don't see Brosnan having any part to play on match day however.

Does anyone know when the challenge match between Kerry & Dublin will now be replayed since it was called off due to the weather yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Right really looking forward to kicking some Cork ass on June 7th. Who's going? Div 1 Champs Vs Div 2 Champs. Cork love Killarney. Sure to be a mighty atmosphere!

manster wrote: »
    Right really looking forward to kicking some Cork ass on June 7th. Who's going? Div 1 Champs Vs Div 2 Champs. Cork love Killarney. Sure to be a mighty atmosphere!

I'll probably go to it alright. It's my first time in Kerry for a summer in a long time so I'll be trying to make as many games as I can...

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I can't see what role he's likely to play in the team, although I suppose it will help competition within the squad somewhat which I've repeatedly said is absolutely vital this year.

I don't see Brosnan having any part to play on match day however.

I heard from someone who knows eoins relative that jack asked him to come back as they dont have a ball carrier. Thats what i was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

manster wrote: »

Coming down from Galway for it. Should be good one, please god the weather will be better than it was at Pairc Ui Chaoimh last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Going off the topic here a bit. Kerry football has long since been the standard that all other counties aim to get to. There has to be a reason why Kerry at senior level produce it time and time again.
    So some questions:
    Whats the underage structure like?
    How many games would an u-12,14,16 minor play on average in a season for their club?
    How long is a season?
    Are players at u-12 allowed to play u-14 etc...?
    What rules are applied e.g. up to u-12 two touch football ?
    Are there development squads?
    How are dual players at underage handled? Any specific rules etc...

Of course county success breeds county success but you need excellent footballers to do this. Up here in Armagh our development squads are now producing the goods - minors won the Ulster League this year, U-21's narrowly defeated in U-21 Ulster championship, All-Ireland U-21 a few years ago, seniors 7 out 10 ulster titles, one all-Ireland (just the one:mad:)

I think this year we now have a footballing team whereas in the past we relied on a certain way of playing. Our style has changed and apart from the HUGE blip against Cork we have played OK this year.

thanks

Hi,

Anyone very familiar with fitzgerald stadium on here? Picture attached....The O'Connor terrace is divided into 3 sections reg, green and blue. But can anyone tell me which section is in which part?

I think the Red section is the section normally for cork supporters behind the goals at the dressing room end, is that right? And what about the other two sections, where do they start and end?

Also, what about the numbers then, how do they work? Like Blue 6 etc...basically im trying to find out the best tickets to get the get close as possible to middle of field but also not to be right down near the fence at the bottom of the terrace.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

The Cork fans are always in the terrace at the dressing room end, that is the terrace on the right of your picture. The score board end is the Town End/Daltons Avenue end of the ground. You wont get a ticket for the middle of the field for the terrace. Go early and you'll find a spot near the middle of the field in front of the press box no problem.

Thanks for the reply dude.

but what section, you say just go early and ill get a place...but infact there are 3 sections of tickets...green red and blue...so thats what i wanted to find out about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Abstract

Thanks for the reply dude.

but what section, you say just go early and ill get a place...but infact there are 3 sections of tickets...green red and blue...so thats what i wanted to find out about....

Yeah that was broght in a few years ago i cant see the point but anyway if your going with a group you'll have to get yer tickets at the same time to be sure yer all in the right section, thats what i'll be doing anyway. Also might be a good idea to stay over in killarney i live in Tralee but i've got a hostel for the last few years its good to have a clear run of the day and not have to worry about how yer getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Hi,

Anyone very familiar with fitzgerald stadium on here? Picture attached....The O'Connor terrace is divided into 3 sections reg, green and blue. But can anyone tell me which section is in which part?

I think the Red section is the section normally for cork supporters behind the goals at the dressing room end, is that right? And what about the other two sections, where do they start and end?

Also, what about the numbers then, how do they work? Like Blue 6 etc...basically im trying to find out the best tickets to get the get close as possible to middle of field but also not to be right down near the fence at the bottom of the terrace.

thanks.

You should be able to guess!
    Red=Cork
    Green=Kerry
    Blue=Neutral

I usually get a green ticket but go to the blue section as that's the middle section. They're not strict about what section of the terrace you go to.

ha!

1 - i should have figured it out and 2 jesus im suprised they use a system that uses common sense :)

eh...why do u buy a green ticket so, if u just end up going to the blue section?! :)

• Advertisement

I heard from someone who knows eoins relative that jack asked him to come back as they dont have a ball carrier. Thats what i was told.

I'm sure Declan O'Sullivan would beg to differ!

Like I said I imagine he's there for squad competition - I don't think he has anything to offer to the starting fifteen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement