Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

keane2097 wrote: »
    Maher was a bit like that at the start as well, players grow into their roles.
    Agreed. And Maher had Darragh to help him along in his early stages. Buckley has it, its plain to see. Just needs game time now, and plenty of it. There'll be a little pain for Kerry to endure, and maybe even another trip to Div 2, but I think they'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Kerry need to start kicking the ball from half back and midfield better to into the forwards. This drawn out hand passing won't cut it. At least we have another player in Buckley who can kick off the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Agreed. And Maher had Darragh to help him along in his early stages. Buckley has it, its plain to see. Just needs game time now, and plenty of it. There'll be a little pain for Kerry to endure, and maybe even another trip to Div 2, but I think they'll be ok.

No he didn't. Darragh Se and Maher never even played a game together at midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Buckley has IT, as in, plenty football..but disappears from games far too much. Even for Crokes, the Castlehaven game was a perfect example...got 2 excellent points, one early on, one in 2nd half..but in between was far less influential than Ambrose O'Donovan.
    Hopefully its just symptomatic of the way Crokes play or something and he can continue to develop from what was a decent effort in midfield last Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

The Kerry Senior Football Team to play Dublin in Round 2 of the Allianz Football League in Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney on Sunday next shows 3 changes from the team that started against Mayo in Round 1 – Tomás Ó Sé starts at number 6 with Peter Crowley moving to the corner to the exclusion of Shane Enright, Bryan Sheehan takes over from the clubtied Johnny Buckley at midfield and Barry John Keane comes in for Conor Cox at corner forward. The team, captained by Anthony Maher is as follows:

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2. Marc Ó Sé 9An Gaeltacht)
    3. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    4. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    5. Jonathan Lyne (Killarney Legion)
    6. Tomás Ó Sé ( An Gaeltacht)
    7. Killian Young ( Renard)
    8. Anthony Maher (Duagh) (Capt)
    9. Bryan Sheehan (St Marys)
    10. Michael Geaney (Dingle)
    11. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    12. Michael O’Donoghue (Spa)
    13. James O’Donoghue (Killarney Legion)
    14. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)
    15. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    16. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)
    17. Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    18. Conor Cox (Listowel Emmetts)
    19. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmets)
    20. Shane Carroll ( Austin Stacks)
    21. Andrew Garnett (Spa)
    22. David Culhane (Ballylongford)
    23. Barry John Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    24. Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilemore)
    25. Darragh O’Sullivan (Dingle)
    26. James Walsh (Knocknagoshel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fairly content with 1-9, but our forward line looks very very poor, which is ultimately where our downfall was last week after from teh red card.

huge weekend for Kerry football with 3 teams playing 3 Dub teams and one team playing against a team from Tyrone.

best of luck to Crokes, Kenmare and Finuge this afternoon, hopefully all 3 can do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

fairly content with 1-9, but our forward line looks very very poor, which is ultimately where our downfall was last week after from teh red card.

huge weekend for Kerry football with 3 teams playing 3 Dub teams and one team playing against a team from Tyrone.

best of luck to Crokes, Kenmare and Finuge this afternoon, hopefully all 3 can do the job.

Another Kerry team fall to a Tyrone team again in a final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Bryan Sheehan isn't starting today, replaced by Walsh (from knocknagoshel?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Very pessimistic going into this game.

Think the Dubs have a stronger first 15 and a Stonger Panel overall.

They beat us in Killarney a couple of years ago, so no mental factors coming into play.

Dubs -5 on the Handicap is 4/1, and if I didn't have a general rule not to back against my own team i'd be on that.

I hope im proven wrong but without the Crokes lads, maybe a bit of mental fatigue on Fitzy's part after last night's defeat, the signs aren't promising.

Ciarraí Abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Bryan Sheehan isn't starting today, replaced by Walsh (from knocknagoshel?)

Big step up for James. Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

This is a fúcking disgrace.

5 points to 0 down.

Ref is keeping us in it.

No spark. No heart. Nothing.

Worst 20 minutes of Kerry football i've ever seen.

About f-ing time!

6 points to 1

Curtin with a score eventually.

Diarmuid Connolly off with an ankle injury.

Mahoney had him in his pocket, and he was on a yellow.

8 -1 to the Dubs.

EDIT: 8-2 Tomás with an inspirational point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Paddy Andrews bringing simulation to a whole new level.

A little bit of justice, Brogan missed the free.

Kerry playing cat all over the place.

Backs playing fairly well.

Good effort from Marc, Tomás, Crowley and especially O'Mahoney.

Lyne playing ok and Young is anonymous.

Maher doing ok, Walsh is abysmal (I know its his first start, but he's out of his depth).

Forwards are being outclassed.

Stam looks afraid of it, way out of the game.
    Geaney is barely on the ball.
    Darran looks really leggy.
    James O'Donaghue and BJK are way off it.
    Curtin doing well when the ball comes his way, but those times are few and far between.

We seem to hold the ball for 30 seconds, befoer running into 4 tacklers and coughin up the ball.

At one stage Killian Young saw Ger Brennan coming and the ball flew out of his hand before Brennan got near him!

Thank Christ its only the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Surprised that O Donoughe missed two fairly straight forward chances from the left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Before anyone gets massively sentimental, writing Kerry's obituary, I must point out that Kerry are in the midst of heavy training at the moment. Cian O' Neill is running the legs off them, thats why the forwards look "leggy" Darran is stuck to the ground. We'll be right for the Summer.;)

buyer95 wrote: »
    Before anyone gets massively sentimental, writing Kerry's obituary, I must point out that Kerry are in the midst of heavy training at the moment. Cian O' Neill is running the legs off them, thats why the forwards look "leggy" Darran is stuck to the ground. We'll be right for the Summer.;)

But look at the big picture.
    Look at the lack of depth that exists in Kerry.
    Even with some of the bigger names back if there is an injury or suspension then the replacements are way off the level required

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

buyer95 wrote: »

I think all other counties are doing the same. No excuse to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Running the legs off fellas in February who have no chance of starting in July is idiotic. Donaghy (just back), Sheehan (just back), Dec Sullivan (just back), Galvin, Brosnan, Cooper, Donnchadh Walsh will do none of this running and will be starting in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

The forwards are seriously lacking leadership, too many inexperienced players playing together at one time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

wonga77 wrote: »
    The forwards are seriously lacking leadership, too many inexperienced players playing together at one time
    That's a fair comment.

If you look at the backs brought in over the past few years they were surrounded by experience - from Killian Young, to Crowley, Enright etc. you can be sure they benefited from the experience and leadership of the likes of Marc, Tomás and Mahoney playing around them.

While I know James O'Donoghue & BJK have been in the squad for two years now - they're still relatively low on experience. Add Curtin and Stam and you're looking at a very inexperienced forward line with a distinct lack of leadership qualities.

That said, they're good footballers and should be justifying their place on the team but that many new forwards and their lack of experience leaves us with a forward line lacking cohesion and from the sounds of it - bottle at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Men against boys.
    Dublin were able to work the ball out of defence at their ease. Kerry backs even though they did ok had no chance with no pressure being put on Dublin out the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Understandable there has been no mention of Finuge's defeat last night to Cookstown however a Finuge fan who works with me was telling me last week that Paul Galvin couldn't be bothered his hole travelling down from Dublin for training the week before the club's biggest game in their history! Astonishing really,very bad from from Galvin and it just shows how little regard he has for the club that brought him up to the player he is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Amprodude wrote: »
    Another Kerry team fall to a Tyrone team again in a final.

Saturdays game was a semi-final, it was Intermediate football, may I point you to a 5 All-Ireland victories compared to three and that is before I have to remind you of the absolute shame and disgrace to Tyrone GAA which Derrytresk brought to the game with their new lows of scumbaggery last year. May I also remind you of a result last summer where Kerry easily disposed of Tyrone by a whopping 10 points.

FFS Don't start this, you're giving Kerry people a bad name!

There was no need to drag up Derrytresk, or the 5 All Irelands or whatever.

It was a post trying to wind Kerry people up, just leave it go.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Saturdays game was a semi-final, it was Intermediate football, may I point you to a 5 All-Ireland victories compared to three and that is before I have to remind you of the absolute shame and disgrace to Tyrone GAA which Derrytresk brought to the game with their new lows of scumbaggery last year. May I also remind you of a result last summer where Kerry easily disposed of Tyrone by a whopping 10 points.

Actually it was the intermediate final that Finuge lost.

Kenmore won semi final (second replay) v castle knock

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Treble20 wrote: »
    Understandable there has been no mention of Finuge's defeat last night to Cookstown however a Finuge fan who works with me was telling me last week that Paul Galvin couldn't be bothered his hole travelling down from Dublin for training the week before the club's biggest game in their history! Astonishing really,very bad from from Galvin and it just shows how little regard he has for the club that brought him up to the player he is.
    Stinicker wrote: »

We should get a poll going on which post is worse :rolleyes:

That Cookstown team beat Spa in the final a few years back. Very good outfit - very strong in defence and tactically well setup from what I remember, hard luck to Fingue but they've a county and munster title to be proud of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Treble20 wrote: »
    Unless you know the exact circumstances of the situation you shouldn't really be commenting on this. There's plenty plausible explanations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Report from the match yesterday if anyone wants to take a look, makes fairly grim reading for Kerry fans:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/national-league-kerry-vs-dublin-report/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement