Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Unless you know the exact circumstances of the situation you shouldn't really be commenting on this. There's plenty plausible explanations.

Dead right and in fairness to Paul he has more than once stated that the final last Saturday was up there with the most important games he has ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The level of expectation on players is crazy. Paul Galvin didn't make a seven hour round trip to training, what a bad egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

keane2097 wrote: »
    The level of expectation on players is crazy. Paul Galvin didn't make a seven hour round trip to training, what a bad egg.

Yeah agreed Keane .. and by the same token the Donegal management insisted on Murphy doing the same, even tho he was in the middle of the Sigerson campaign with DCU last year ... crazy demands on these fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Backs playing fairly well.

Good effort from Marc, Tomás, Crowley and especially O'Mahoney.

Lyne playing ok and Young is anonymous.

Maher doing ok, Walsh is abysmal (I know its his first start, but he's out of his depth).

Forwards are being outclassed.

Stam looks afraid of it, way out of the game.
    Geaney is barely on the ball.
    Darran looks really leggy.
    James O'Donaghue and BJK are way off it.
    Curtin doing well when the ball comes his way, but those times are few and far between.

We seem to hold the ball for 30 seconds, befoer running into 4 tacklers and coughin up the ball.

At one stage Killian Young saw Ger Brennan coming and the ball flew out of his hand before Brennan got near him!

Thank Christ its only the league.

omahony gives far to many fouls away,in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

O mahonys problem is, and has been for some years now is that he has to get a hit in when he has the ball. How many times can he break free but he has to get a shoulder of some sort in first. He looks too bulked up imo, very strong but not as mobile as he should be. I dont like to name players as they do try their best but there are several of the current squad just not up to it at county standard. Being a good club player doesnt automatically make you a good county player and some of them look very nervous, Either that or they need to be blooded better, one or two at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0216/1224330113204.html

Great article this week from Dara, on Páidí. Some of the stories are fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0216/1224330113204.html

Great article this week from Dara, on Páidí. Some of the stories are fantastic.

Read that article earlier, just read it again there - super stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Brilliant article about a colourful character. Great read

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CHIEF F

Great article. He certainly was unique!

Pitty most lads currently playing club/county fotball couldn't follow his guide "The way he would have seen it, getting involved would have been showing weakness. And he had no time for that. He’d regularly tell you not to go down unless you were really properly hurt. “Don’t give them the satisfaction; don’t let them know they hurt you.”

Darragh is one of the better football analysts around at the moment without coming out with crazy opinions just to grab highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great article by Darragh,love the story about the car ferry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thanks for that, i loved reading that article,
    he gave sound advice,
    keeping the mouth shut, letting the other fellow wondering,
    car ferry, brilliant,

it is such a tradgedy that he has left us, but his memories will live on,
    i loved his style of play,
    his style of fun,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

**** Crokes were awful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Well I must say watching the club semi finals today after seen Crossmaglen losing their semi to the St Brigids side myself and my father commented that it's definitely Crokes year this year with the Northern team gone but how wrong we were,a very disappointing display by the Crokes today and Ballymun were deserving winners.

A lot of the talked about younger stars with Crokes were poor today and just never got going. I feel disappointed for the Gooch as I'm sure an All Ireland medal with his club is 1 he'd truly treasure. Maybe the easy nature of their victory in the Kerry county championship where they disposed of everyone quite easily and bar the Kilmurry/Ibrickane game in Munster they won that province quite easily might have had a detrimental effect on them in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Another disappointing day for Kerry football with Kenmare going down today in the All Ireland Junior football final to Galway side Ballinasloe 0-14 to 0-10.

Kenmare went in to this as favorites after a 3 match semi final saga against Dublin side Castleknock and also having the advantage of having played already on the Croke Park sod but they weren't able to match a very determined and talented Ballinasloe side. This must be the first time in a good number of years that a Kerry side haven't won either the All Ireland Intermediate or Junior titles? Kerry sides normally win at least 1 of the grades every year.

After Kenmare hammered Rockchapel in the Munster semi final last December I met the Rockchapel coach a few days later and in conversation he told me the only team that could beat Kenmare would be Ballinasloe and so he was proved right today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Treble20 wrote: »
    This must be the first time in a good number of years that a Kerry side haven't won either the All Ireland Intermediate or Junior titles? Kerry sides normally win at least 1 of the grades every year.
    First time since 2008, Canovee Cork won Junior,Moycullen Galway won intermediate. Laune Rangers in 1996 remains last Kerry club to win the senior All Ireland.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-kildare-vs-kerry/

My take on this weekends action.

Sorry its a bit pessimistic, but after the last two games, its hard not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-kildare-vs-kerry/

My take on this weekends action.

Sorry its a bit pessimistic, but after the last two games, its hard not to be.

"Kerry were the team to re-introduce the big full forward into the game, with Kieran Donaghy in 2006, but face an arguably more effective number 14 in O’Connor on Sunday."...you're not suggesting O'Connor is/has been better than Donaghy at his peak surely?

"Kerry were the team to re-introduce the big full forward into the game, with Kieran Donaghy in 2006, but face an arguably more effective number 14 in O’Connor on Sunday."...you're not suggesting O'Connor is/has been better than Donaghy at his peak surely?
    Nobody was more effective then Donaghy at his peak. From 06-09 he was nearly unstoppable.

Im saying that on Sunday if both were to play at full forward, that O'Connor would be more effective.

Donaghy has lost something. Im not sure is it pace, or is it something mental, but he's not the same player.

He's also treated differently by referees the last few years and finds it very hard to get frees when he is in full forward.

O'Connor plays a different game to Donaghy. Yes, he's a big man but he is very quick over 5-10 yards enabling him to win ball out in front, as well as high 50-50 ball. O'Connor has the potential to be as effective as Donaghy was in those peak years, if Kildare use him correctly. At the moment he lays the ball off most of the time. If he decides to take the defender on, like Donaghy used to, then we could see his goal tally match Donaghy's in 06.

O'Connor's problem over the last year or two has been that none of the inside forward line he's played with have been smart enough to play off him. The amount of ball he gets on the end of is ridiculous. He's been very good so far this year from what I've seen of him.

Very much agree with the point about O'Connor winning ball from the front. Will be a big test for Mahony (I assume?)

• Advertisement

Nobody was more effective then Donaghy at his peak. From 06-09 he was nearly unstoppable.

Im saying that on Sunday if both were to play at full forward, that O'Connor would be more effective.

Donaghy has lost something. Im not sure is it pace, or is it something mental, but he's not the same player.

He's also treated differently by referees the last few years and finds it very hard to get frees when he is in full forward.

O'Connor plays a different game to Donaghy. Yes, he's a big man but he is very quick over 5-10 yards enabling him to win ball out in front, as well as high 50-50 ball. O'Connor has the potential to be as effective as Donaghy was in those peak years, if Kildare use him correctly. At the moment he lays the ball off most of the time. If he decides to take the defender on, like Donaghy used to, then we could see his goal tally match Donaghy's in 06.

Ok, fine...think you're over-rating O'Connor a tad, don't think he has a whole lot of skill, very effective at winning ball though and is handicapped by the fact that Kildare haven't had a natural corner forward as Keane said..maybe Johnstone could bring Kildare up a notch in that regard.

Wouldn't be so quick to run Donaghy down either. He has been very inconsistent in the last 3 years, but when played at 14 (the only option IMO) he is still highly effective at times..Tyrone game last year and AI final 2011 would be 2 examples of great games he had after bad patches of form.

O'Connor will go and have a terrible game after me hyping him up, but I have to say he's never disappointed when i've seen him play. He wins an amount of ball, and now that he has a few weapons around him, I think this year could see him really shine.

O'Connor will go and have a terrible game after me hyping him up, but I have to say he's never disappointed when i've seen him play. He wins an amount of ball, and now that he has a few weapons around him, I think this year could see him really shine.

Well in his last C/ship game (last years 1/4 final against Cork) he was pretty awful and got taken off...he was fairly poor in the Meath game last year aswell IMO.

Well in his last C/ship game (last years 1/4 final against Cork) he was pretty awful and got taken off...he was fairly poor in the Meath game last year aswell IMO.

I wouldn't use that Cork game as evidence of much tbh, it was a very weird game that the two goals - both of which came from blatant frees for Kildare that weren't given IIRC - completely skewed.

FWIW I thought O'Connor was ok that day and actually was at the root of Kildare getting a foothold in the second half when he was moved to midfield. His substitution was one of a raft of bizarre decisions on the day by McGeeney who decided a one man full forward line of Seanie Johnston was the way to get them back into the game.

If Johnston has a good year - and he's been poor so far - I think you'll see O'Connor's worth. I really rate him obviously!

Completely agree re:Donaghy - he's been close to what I would call "good" the odd time he's been played in position these last couple of years.

I've filled my boots on Kildare @ evens by the way, the team I've heard is very vulnerable from midfield forward.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I've filled my boots on Kildare @ evens by the way, the team I've heard is very vulnerable from midfield forward.

As has been the case so far this year.

I wouldn't mind if the same forwards were played but with the change of putting BJK at wing forward where I think he's more effective making runs off a full forward line that can win ball which would be the case if JOD, Stam & Curtin were in there.

Stam has been playing at full forward for Spa and has shown himself to be one of the best at that position in the county - the perseverence with him on the wing is a bit baffling imo, especially when Curtin has shown that he can be just as effective from the corner.

I'd like the following FF line:

James O'Donoghue - Michael O'Donoghue - Paddy Curtin

All ball winners, all able to score off two feet and have an eye for goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Team for the Klildare game

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2. Marc Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    3. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    4. Shane Enright (Tarber)
    5. Jonathan Lyne (Killarney Legion)
    6. Tomás Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    7. Killian Young (Renard)
    8. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    9. Eoin Brosnan (Capt) (Dr Crokes)
    10. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    11. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)
    12. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    13. Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)
    14. James O’Donoghue (Killarney Legion)
    15. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    16. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)
    17. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    18. Michael Geaney (Dingle)
    19. Michael O’Donoghue (Spa Killarney)
    20. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)
    21. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)
    22. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmetts)
    23. Andrew Garnett (Spa Killarney)
    24. David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    25. Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilemore)
    26. Brian Looney (Dr Crokes)

Great to see David Moran back on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Thats a serious enough looking team. Will James O Donaghue actually start at full forward?

Curtin will be at FF with Darren dropping out I've heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Not a great Full Forward line none of them IMO capable of winning a 50/50 ball when it matters.

Cant understand how O'Leary is still getting games IMO not good enough and has never done anything iv seen to say other wise. I would be worried though about all the ball and I mean all the ball from the centre won by buckley and Brosnan going straight into him. The same is the case with Barry John Keane he like O'Leary is extremely selfish with the ball and takes some crazy shoots for scores. He has his critics but Curtin is able to win independent ball and has very fast hands would have him at full forward. James O'Donoghue is a good player but not a ball winner

• Advertisement

Strong enough team - very happy to see Tomás in the centre back position with Young and Lyne either side - although I'd have Crowley ahead of Lyne.

That's not a good midfield though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement