Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

lala88 wrote: »
    Cant understand how O'Leary is still getting games IMO not good enough and has never done anything iv seen to say other wise. I would be worried though about all the ball and I mean all the ball from the centre won by buckley and Brosnan going straight into him. The same is the case with Barry John Keane he like O'Leary is extremely selfish with the ball and takes some crazy shoots for scores. He has his critics but Curtin is able to win independent ball and has very fast hands would have him at full forward. James O'Donoghue is a good player but not a ball winner

It's not our best FF line admittedly but Leary was very good for crokes when brought out the field - I maintain he's a far better wing forward because he can run at teams with his pace and he's better off going for a return ball, facing goal.

Think you're incredibly wrong about JODs ball winning ability fwiw and also wouldn't call Leary & BJK selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm not sure if he meant to call O'Leary selfish. If he did I think I'll be taking his opinions with a pinch of salt from now on as that would be extremely wide of the mark.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if he meant to call O'Leary selfish. If he did I think I'll be taking his opinions with a pinch of salt from now on as that would be extremely wide of the mark.

No wait, read back. He did. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Trying to figure out how that team will line-out

[I'm assuming that Darran won't start and that Curtin will be FF]

Basically I think it will be a defensive back 8 with Brosnan being a halfback/midfielder(he might make the odd foray forward but I think it will be limited - for any forward breaks he does make expect Buckley to sit defensively) - This will give Tomas (and to a lesser extent Killian a license to get forward)

I think it will be Curtin FF and moving to the corner-forward when Donaghy is around the square.

O'Donoghue to work the support role off Curtin/Donaghy play an attacking centre-forward. BJK and Kieran to be attacking wing-forwards

I expect Walsh to remain around the midfield area.

Kealy
    --Marc---O'Mahony--Enright--
    --Tomas----Lyne
    Young--
    Brosnan----Walsh

Buckley----Donaghy
    --BJK---O'Donoghue--O'Leary--
    Curtin

I would expect Donaghy to move between midfield and around the square depending on the state of the game.

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2. Marc Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    3. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    4. Shane Enright (Tarber)
    5. Jonathan Lyne (Killarney Legion)
    6. Tomás Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    7. Killian Young (Renard)
    8. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    9. Eoin Brosnan (Capt) (Dr Crokes)
    10. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    11. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)
    12. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    13. Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)
    14. James O’Donoghue (Killarney Legion)
    15. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)

16. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)
    17. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    18. Michael Geaney (Dingle)
    19. Michael O’Donoghue (Spa Killarney)
    20. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)
    21. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)
    22. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmetts)
    23. Andrew Garnett (Spa Killarney)
    24. David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    25. Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilemore)
    26. Brian Looney (Dr Crokes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Isn't Brosnan f*cked lads? I was hearing he needed a rest or even an op on the ankle after Crokes campaign...he looked bankaxed at end of Ballymun game anyway.

Hope Donaghy lines out at 14 where he belongs and Buckley is midfield. Good to see Moran back in the squad. Tough couple of years for that lad, great dedication to make it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Weird team. Midfield is a little baffling, but I have a feeling Brosnan will drop back, and Buckley will parter Donaghy at midfield.

4 Across the HB line, would be interesting, and not much would come through the middle vs Brosnan and Tomás.

Will be really interesting to see how it pans out come gametime.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Weird team. Midfield is a little baffling, but I have a feeling Brosnan will drop back, and Buckley will parter Donaghy at midfield.

4 Across the HB line, would be interesting, and not much would come through the middle vs Brosnan and Tomás.

Will be really interesting to see how it pans out come gametime.

I think we might see Lyne playing as a sweeper in order to counteract the thread from Kildare's very accomplished attacking half back line.

It's good thinking from the management but unfortunately with Hugh Lynch back for Kildare we're going to struggle at midfield and with Donaghy out around the middle scores will be hard to come by too. Winning a low scoring game is our best hope here. Strange thing to find myself saying!

I think we might see Lyne playing as a sweeper in order to counteract the thread from Kildare's very accomplished attacking half back line.

It's good thinking from the management but unfortunately with Hugh Lynch back for Kildare we're going to struggle at midfield and with Donaghy out around the middle scores will be hard to come by too. Winning a low scoring game is our best hope here. Strange thing to find myself saying!

O'Mahony follows O'Connor wherever he goes ; Lyne provides cover in at the full-back area & Brosnan provides cover at the centre-back area.

Kildare have scored 4-24 in the 2 games so far so it will be interesting to see how the Kerry defence does against them - stopping them scoring goals is key if Kerry want to get a result.

Kerry be contrast have scored 1-10 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

our forward line doesnt breath confidence, at all. cant see many scores in there without Sheehan, Gooch and Declan,who are our main score getters.

Anyone at the game? A better performance than the first two games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Highlights on tg4 there now.

Highlights on tg4 now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

3 losses out of 3 but there was far more of a performance today than the first 2 -although I think Kildare just about edged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

A lot more positive today thank god

Much much better performance then the Dublin game.

2 good goals were hammer blows tbh. Tomás O'Connor (as I predicted) had a hand in both of them, but other then that O'Mahoney did a stellar job on him.

Some big positives. Johnny Buckley looks like he can cope with the physicality of intercounty football. Stellar performance, and should have been MOM IMO.

We need 2 Donaghy's. He was decent around the middle, but we looked most dangerous with his ball winning ability inside.

Jonathan Lyne was pretty impressive going forward. Marc and Tomás played well.

Brosnan looked tired. BJK was poor. James O'donaghue looked good when he came out for the ball and had a bit of space, but missed some vital frees. Donnacha Walsh won some tough ball at Full Forward, but kicked some horrendous wides.

We showed heart, fitness and some decent footballing abilty 3 things that were lacking in our games previous.

However despite all this we are still 0 from 3. A win in Ballybofey is a must next week.

Cork winning is really annoying, especially in the manor that they won. It means that wins against Cork and Down are also Must-Win games.

We will go to Healy Park in Omagh, more then likely fighting for Division 1 status, and Tyrone would just love to send us down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

So Barry John Keane & Kieran O’Leary showing us how unselfish there are today....

2 good goals were hammer blows tbh. Tomás O'Connor (as I predicted) had a hand in both of them, but other then that O'Mahoney did a stellar job on him.

Some big positives. Johnny Buckley looks like he can cope with the physicality of intercounty football. Stellar performance, and should have been MOM IMO.

We need 2 Donaghy's. He was decent around the middle, but we looked most dangerous with his ball winning ability inside.

Brosnan looked tired. BJK was poor. James O'donaghue looked good when he came out for the ball and had a bit of space, but missed some vital frees. Donnacha Walsh won some tough ball at Full Forward, but kicked some horrendous wides.

We showed heart, fitness and some decent footballing abilty 3 things that were lacking in our games previous.

However despite all this we are still 0 from 3. A win in Ballybofey is a must next week.

Cork winning is really annoying, especially in the manor that they won. It means that wins against Cork and Down are also Must-Win games.

We will go to Healy Park in Omagh, more then likely fighting for Division 1 status, and Tyrone would just love to send us down.

What i would be thinking is that Dublin and Mayo are far better sides than Kildare and at times Kildare opened Kerrys defence open rather quite easy. Havent seen Kerry this poor for quite some time. I couldnt see Cork beating Kerry in Tralee, dont think it will happen so Tyrone in Omagh will be the game that decide Kerrys status for next year. Is Donegal up next?

Amprodude wrote: »
    What i would be thinking is that Dublin and Mayo are far better sides than Kildare and at times Kildare opened Kerrys defence open rather quite easy. Havent seen Kerry this poor for quite some time. I couldnt see Cork beating Kerry in Tralee, dont think it will happen so Tyrone in Omagh will be the game that decide Kerrys status for next year. Is Donegal up next?
    Remember we were hot shít in the league last year, and made teams look silly (i.e Donegal in Killarney), yet come championship time, it did us no good.

We tried a few things out today, Donaghy at midfield, Jonathan Lyne pushing forward, 3 Small Quick lads in the FF line.

Some stuff worked, other stuff didn't. I really don't think we are as dead in the water as many people think we are.

Nothing is won in March. Eamon Fitz knows this. When Championship time comes, we'll be ticking over nicely i'd imagine.

In terms of Donaghy at midfield come Championship time he will be full-forward. Only at midfield due to Maher injured and Sheehan unfit. Moran will probably be a another option come Championship time. I'd have Donaghy full-forward from now on and start constructing an attacking unit around him there.

I thought D Walsh was very poor - saw a lot of ball but wasted it/turned it over. A key factor for me is that he offers close to zero in terms of scoring threat. His first instinct is always to pass. While this might sound a positive, its not a positive when he's in scoring positions. His kick passing was very poor especially in the first half. In addition to a terrible ball over the end line the quality of his ball in was awful - kicking in skyscraper ball towards the starting full forward line shows zero in the way of game intelligence. His fisted effort wide was abyssmal.

The fact that Enright was left on Johnson so long when he was being beaten to everything was poor from the sideline.

BJK, Stam and Kieran O'Leary all played themselves further away from the first 15.

Also there was at least one free that was clearly out of JOD's range distance wise that Buckley should have taken. JOD put it wide trying to get distance in the kick - Buckley would have been a far better option to take it. Smallish thing but in a game lost by 2 points.

Kildare were only average enough today especially compared to their previous two performances. Said before that stopping scoring them goals was key to getting a result so it was disappointing that their first score was a goal. It really set them up in the first half.

Nothing is won in March. Eamon Fitz knows this. When Championship time comes, we'll be ticking over nicely i'd imagine.

I just dont see the football there at the moment in the Kerry setup. All the big names have to come back for ye to be a threat, alot of the new Kerry players in the setup arent up to intercounty standard IMO. Kildare are a very average side and they could have won by alot more only they shot lots of really bad wides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Apart from the shining light that was Buckley, overall it was poor fare from both teams. Our starting full forward line looked like a bunch of U16s compared to Kildare and all should have been taken off (KOL, BJK & Stam). Walsh as usual was full of running but made so many poor decisions when he got the ball. JOD had a poor game and you could see he wasn't comfortable with the long distance frees. The line was poor in leaving Enright on Johnson for so long. With all the plugging of holes elsewhere you could see that Brosnan didn't have the legs in the last 20 minutes.

Yes the match was exciting at times but this was due to poor handling and poorer refereeing. The wide count for both teams was staggering.

Some positives. Buckley won midfield by himself and grew in confidence as the game went on. Lyne showed some intelligence in his play and were the two stand out Kerry players. Mark, Tomas, Aidan and Star were not too far behind. Having no free taker again cost us the match. No need for panic yet, only 3 months in, the right men are at the helm and they are learning more about the team in losing than in winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Donegal AWAY next.

Kerry are in the s**t!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

buckley was a beast for kerry today...

commiserations.. hope ye can get it together asap what would division 1 be without the likes of kerry... absolute football royalty.

kerry showed bottle in newbridge, i was afraid ye would light newbridge up after losing first two games.. thankfully kildare had enough...

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Donegal AWAY next.

Kerry are in the s**t!
    Don't worry, we'll beat Down, and yourselves, and wave ye goodbye into Division 2 ;) :P

Nah, in all seriousness, there are 4 huge games in a row coming up for Kerry and Cork.

3 wins should guarantee safety. 2 Wins, and it could be dodgy.

Nice to see Johnny Buckley performing so well yesterday. Just goes to show that the doom and gloom about some of the younger players might be a bit hasty - Anthony Maher looked pretty average when he first came into the team and has developed into a first class midfielder over the course of a year or two so there's hope for most of the lads yet.

Nice to see Johnny Buckley performing so well yesterday. Just goes to show that the doom and gloom about some of the younger players might be a bit hasty - Anthony Maher looked pretty average when he first came into the team and has developed into a first class midfielder over the course of a year or two so there's hope for most of the lads yet.
    ctrl c, ctrl v much?? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Johnny Buckley had a good game yesterday hopefully he can keep it up. Been in and around the panel for a few years now so should be pushing for a starting place now

D'Agger wrote: »
    ctrl c, ctrl v much?? :pac:

Regularly. I hope you didn't pull a hamstring typing that out!

lala88 wrote: »
    Johnny Buckley had a good game yesterday hopefully he can keep it up. Been in and around the panel for a few years now so should be pushing for a starting place now

We're actually gone from a position where it looked like we were in big trouble for midfielders a couple of seasons ago to pretty good shape now. Sheehan and Maher is in the top few pairs in the country when both fully fit, if Johnny Buckley continues to improve he's another good option and Dave Moran with a bit of luck won't be far off that standard either.

• Advertisement

Regularly. I hope you didn't pull a hamstring typing that out!

Just a strain is all
    We're actually gone from a position where it looked like we were in big trouble for midfielders a couple of seasons ago to pretty good shape now. Sheehan and Maher is in the top few pairs in the country when both fully fit, if Johnny Buckley continues to improve he's another good option and Dave Moran with a bit of luck won't be far off that standard either.

Very true - MF was a real cause for concern not so long ago but Sheehans transition along with Mahers progression, coupled with Buckley getting good exposure with Crokes & UCC plus with Dave Moran coming back means we've got a very good crop to choose from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement