Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

D'Agger wrote: »
    Just a strain is all

Very true - MF was a real cause for concern not so long ago but Sheehans transition along with Mahers progression, coupled with Buckley getting good exposure with Crokes & UCC plus with Dave Moran coming back means we've got a very good crop to choose from.

Plus Tommy Walsh's return in August we will have an embarrassment of riches ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Prop Joe wrote: »
    G'way out of that, he's a nippy corner forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Prop Joe wrote: »

Who ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq9Zci5EKoLEd6hT92QWGc2mkUMyWYpbkFxvadTCr4tZiGF3J5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I think we should be developing David Moran as a Full Forward maybe.

Our forward line needs a bit more beef and with (a Fit) Sheehan, Maher and Buckley (with the option of Donaghy to come out), I think we're doing grand at midfield.

Maybe a mover towards the twin towers again? Moran and Donaghy in Each Corner with Gooch in between them to pick up scraps :P

Moran is a grand physical lad, and playing on the inside would suit his poor cruciate, rather then strain it playing out the field.

Nice option to have whatever we do with him.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »

Maybe a mover towards the twin towers again? Moran and Donaghy in Each Corner with Gooch in between them to pick up scraps :P

It wouldnt really work against a fit blanket defence like Donegal 2012.

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-donegal-vs-kerry/

Quick preview I did of this weekends match.

Heading to Ballybofey Sunday morning. Should be a cracker.

Who plays midfield will be interesting. If Maher is fit, we'll go with Buckley and Maher.

I'd expect Donaghy to play at FF regardless of what number he has on his back.

Lyne to stay tight to Mark McHugh wherever he goes.

Think we might sneak this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-kildare-vs-kerry/

Quick preview I did of this weekends match.

Heading to Ballybofey Sunday morning. Should be a cracker.

Who plays midfield will be interesting. If Maher is fit, we'll go with Buckley and Maher.

I'd expect Donaghy to play at FF regardless of what number he has on his back.

Lyne to stay tight to Mark McHugh wherever he goes.

Think we might sneak this one.

Love your write ups but you are going back to the future with that write up:pac:

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Love your write ups but you are going back to the future with that write up:pac:
    Feck it, was sending the other write up to my Nan! :P

Forgot it was the last one copied :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

The team in full is:
    1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2. Marc Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    3. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    4. Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    6. Killian Young (Renard)
    7. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    8. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    9. Eoin Brosnan(Capt)(Dr Crokes)
    10. Jonathan Lyne (Killarney Legion)
    11. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)
    12. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    13. James O’Donoghue (Killarney Legion)
    14. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    15. Michael Geaney (Dingle)

16. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)
    17. Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)
    18. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    19. Michael O’Donoghue (Spa)
    20. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmetts)
    21. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)
    22. Mark GriffinSt Michaels/Foilemore
    23. Jack Sherwood (Firies)
    24. Andrew Garnett (Spa Killarney)
    25. Darragh O’Sullivan (Dingle)
    26. Shane Carroll (Austin Stacks)

-The team features 10 of the side defeated by Donegal (1-12 to 1-10) in the All Ireland Qtr Finals last August.

The following players are unavailable for Selection:
    Declan O’Sullivan - Recovering from back Injury sustained against Dublin.
    Anthony Maher - Recovering from Calf Injury sustained against Dublin
    Colm Cooper - Has some niggly injuries at the moment and is rehabbing same
    Bryan Sheehan - Working on his fitness
    Paul Galvin - Back Training - Won't be available for a couple of weeks
    Patrick Curtin - Shoulder injury sustained in training Thursday before Kildare game
    Paul Geaney - Recovering from Hamstring injury

•Some other players are on the extended panel but are not on the travelling party of 26 for this game.

BJK, Stam and Kieran O'Leary drop to the bench.
    Given their performances the last day not that much of a surprise.
    Enright probably a bit fortunate to make the starting 15 after his performance the last day.
    The subs bench doesnt exactly impress especially in terms of experience.

The big tactical issue will be where exactly Donaghy lines out. Looking at the first 15 named I would like to see him start in full forward. With seven of the the middle 8 being made up of Tomas, Crowley, Young, Buckley, Brosnan, Lyne and Walsh I think he would be more beneficial around the square.

Finding it hard to be all that optimistic about picking up the 2 points based on form to date.

• Advertisement

Good post Murph, thanks for that.

Disappointed that Maher, Galvin or Declan won't be available. Decent half backline. A lot of running to stay with the Donegal forwards.

Donaghy should be at the edge of the square with Buckley and Brosnan at Midfield.

We're certainly trying something with 8 Backs (Im counting Brosnan as a back as he has played there the last 2 years) in the starting 15.

Only 3 scoring forwards as well, Darren, Mikey and James. Going for a possession type game. Lots of athletic players around the middle (Buckley, Lyne, Tomás, Crowley) and a lot of guys who can win their own ball.

Not hugely impressed with our bench, as I said if Declan, Maher or Galvin were there that would be great.

Maguire, Fitzgerald, BJK, Stam and O'Leary will realistically be our options off the bench.

Considering the lack of confidence the three forwards have shown up to now its not very inspiring.

However, all have shown at different times that they are well capable of playing football, so we'll just hope that they will show that form.

Anyone else off to Ballybofey on Sunday? Being based in Dublin makes it handier to get to all these games thankfully.

I quite like the line-up, it suggests a different shape to the traditional one if nothing else. Good to think we might be finally catching up with the rest of the game on a tactical level.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

We're certainly trying something with 8 Backs (Im counting Brosnan as a back as he has played there the last 2 years) in the starting 15.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I quite like the line-up, it suggests a different shape to the traditional one if nothing else. Good to think we might be finally catching up with the rest of the game on a tactical level.

The thing I'd wonder about is whether it is a tactical issue through choice or through circumstance.

Were the three forwards from the last day dropped due to tactical reasons or due to their poor performances?

Once you dropped these three what where the options in terms of bringing in other attacking options?

Darren played the vast majority of the game the last day - Stam barely got 20 minutes so you could say there is not that much of a change of tactics there. Beyond that you have Geaney coming in as an attacking replacement for one of BJK/O'Leary. The shift in tactical emphasis is Crowley basically coming in to replace the other one out of BJK/O'Leary. I don't think its that massive of a change in terms of approach especially if we see Donaghy spending more time around the square compared spending time out the field as he did against Kildare.

Personally I'd feel that the approach is more borne out of a lack of other options than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

I see another defeat here. Won't score enough up there.

I don't necessarily see Donaghy playing in the square for this one either actually, be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Don't know how Mikey Geaney manages to get thrown back in...without being too harsh, its plain as day the lad isn't up to this level.
    Donnacha Walsh wearing 11 gives me the shivers..the man is a rock on which possession flounders far too much. He just doesn't have the pace, guile or raw strength to get away from defenders and is not a good finisher as was once again clear in Newbridge.

Donaghy will be 14, Buckley midfield, looks like we may go like for like, with half forwards lying deep also...expecting a horrible game of football...12 pts to 10 for Donegal or something like that I reckon.

Really cannot stress how enraged this behavior makes me feel.

Nothing mentioned about it anywhere, luckily enough, as if it was brought up straight after the game the old "sore losers", "soft Kerry boys" and "can't take their beating" lines would be rolled out.

Disgusting stuff, spitting on someone is the lowest of the low for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It is nothing new from Tyrone and everytime Kerry meet Tyrone there is some sort of scumbaggery like this done towards Kerry players and supporters. Tyrone is the lowest of the low in the association and this has been shown on numerous occasions down through the years, Derrytresk, Battle of Omagh, Ryan McMenamin, they bring shame to our great game.

Stinicker wrote: »
    It is nothing new from Tyrone and everytime Kerry meet Tyrone there is some sort of scumbaggery like this done towards Kerry players and supporters. Tyrone is the lowest of the low in the association and this has been shown on numerous occasions down through the years, Derrytresk, Battle of Omagh, Ryan McMenamin, they bring shame to our great game.

While you may have gone slightly overboard there, this is certainly nothing new and of course Karl Lacey was spat on recently in Omagh aswell. Forget Football for a moment, its just disgusting human behaviour. Can the GAA take any action given the clear evidence here I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really cannot stress how enraged this behavior makes me feel.

Nothing mentioned about it anywhere, luckily enough, as if it was brought up straight after the game the old "sore losers", "soft Kerry boys" and "can't take their beating" lines would be rolled out.

Could you imagine if it was the other way round and Paul spit on him,the lynch mobs would be out for Paul straight after the game calling for suspensions

Noting else that can be said about it only that it was a cowardly act

No place for that kinda sh1te on any field of play or off it either

Could you imagine if it was the other way round and Paul spit on him,the lynch mobs would be out for Paul straight after the game calling for suspensions

Noting else that can be said about it only that it was a cowardly act

No place for that kinda sh1te on any field of play or off it either

100% agree. Its rotten behaviour should not be tolerated by the GAA in any shape or form. No player deserves that treatment whoever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Its what I've come to expect from Tyrone teams over the last few years, some fine decent players, plenty of scumbags there too, as the crookstown no. 22 has proven. Management have to alot of responsibility for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Another pasting today. Playing second fiddle from first minute to last.

Didn't expect a win up there (especially with the terrible forward line selected) but apparently it was almost as bad a performance as Mayo game. Straight red card for Tomás to cap it off so he'll be sitting on his arse for a month again. Not exactly positive signs at the moment.

Didn't expect a win up there (especially with the terrible forward line selected) but apparently it was almost as bad a performance as Mayo game. Straight red card for Tomás to cap it off so he'll be sitting on his arse for a month again. Not exactly positive signs at the moment.

What was the score? I missed all of todays results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Amprodude wrote: »

Donegal 1-12 Kerry 0-05 FT
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0310/375934-live-sundays-gaa-action/

1-12 to 0-5 according to my man up north..horrific scoring once again and the average is around 5/6 after 4 games which is unacceptable, but unsurprising when you pick a "forward line" like ours today.

1-12 to 0-5 according to my man up north..horrific scoring once again and the average is around 5/6 after 4 games which is unacceptable, but unsurprising when you pick a "forward line" like ours today.

No disrespect but i thought it would be a far closer game than that. I still think Kerry will beat Cork in Tralee though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

No disrespect but i thought it would be a far closer game than that. I still think Kerry will beat Cork in Tralee though.

I would have said the same until cork won up in omagh. I actually think cork have a chance in tralee now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement