Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

On another note, the U-21 game on Wednesday in Cork is an important one. After the debacle of 2011 (as bad an experience as I've ever had watching Kerry teams) this team gave a good account of themselves last year so continuing that upward trend is vital. This is a serious looking Cork U-21 team though..its not often you can call on ALL 6 starting forwards from last year like they can. Add Cahalane, Tom Clancy (the Clonakilty variety), Jamie Wall and Brian O'Driscoll to the mix and its going to be a tall order to win in Cork. One thing I would hope the new manager would pass onto these players though is the steely determination he himself possessed in the face of any adversary, so we'll wait and see.[/Quote]
    Yeah this should be a great game and very close.2011 was a great win for us but it was really a scoring blitz in about 15 minutes where we got 2 goals that undid ye.
    One player that was very important for Cork the last 2 years was Donal Og Hodnett,he got a goal in each of those game and played a big part helping our midfield,is not available this year.That is a big plus for Kerry.
    I posted the Cork team in the Cork thread.I see Kerry named their team tonight.
    5 of last years team and 3 guys that were subs i think are in the team.I presume thats Paudies son starting in the half back line.If it is its good to see.
    Cork have about 8 starters from last year,the half back line is the same bar one change.
    4 of the same forwards,O Rourke(who had 2 league games with the seniors and impressed,Sugrue,and Brian Hurley and last years goal scorer luke Connolly all start.
    The other 2 forwards would have came on as subs,Alan Cadogan(brother of Eoin) and Dan macEoin who got 2 vital points in tralee last year.Kevin Hallisey who would of been a starter in most games last year is on the bench.
    All the talk is Cork should win it handy.I for one dont buy it.2 years ago these minor teams met and we just won by a point.
    Im always wary of underage teams being big favourites,it often can bite you in the arse.They expect to win than rather earn the right to win.Dublin last week being beaten was a big shock by longford.They were favourites to win it outright.Cork were huge favourites against Galway in 2011 and were ambushed.Tippereary were given little hope against Clare in Ennis in last years U21 decider in the hurling and Clare had to get to a goal in the last minute.
    I would expect a close game and and Cork to shade it(based on our half back line and Forwards) but i would never right kerry off and underage is always unpredictable.This will be close.Kerry need a win badly,thats when ye are at yere most dangerous.One Kerry player im impressed with is James Walsh.I first saw him in 2011 when Cork won by around 20 points.He came on as sub in the first half.Not many kerry players took the fight to cork that night but he was yere best player on a beaten team in Cork.He never took a step backwards.
    Last year he destroyed Cork in the middle and we had big men in there with Rory Deane.Walsh won loads of ball.
    He really covers a lot of ground and a great passer of the ball so Cork have to be wary of him, they have moved Cahalane out to stop him.This should be worth the entrance fee alone.
    That is the one problem we have, by moving Cahalane out to centre field, the full back line looks weak.Cahalane was there last year and would be ideal for Cox.With him missing, Cox and yere full forward line could cause us big problems.The Full back line lacks a presence with out him.
    Cox could do a lot of damage .Ten euros admission,it should be worth it.
    It will be close,lets hope its a dry night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do the Kerry folk here really believe that Fitzmaurice will make a good manager ?

A lot of people I have talked to down here since he got the job have been dismissive, not dismissive of Fitzmaurice the man but dismissive of his ability to manage Kerry.
    One person even suggested that he took the job at the second time of asking because the county board could not find anyone else and as Fitzmaurice himself said it's not something that he may be offered in a few years time.

There was also the suggestion that he was too close to Jack, and as a former player too close to the likes of the O'Se's, Galvin etc in the squad, which may hinder is ability to exclude them from the panel when they may be past it.

Listening to Terrace Talk last night the guys on it were suggesting the one major problem is that he has failed to pick a settled team over the last 4 games.

And some recent posts here question if the management team don't know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hoping I won't have training and will get to head to this.

Will be looking out for O'Se at wing back to see if he's cut from the same cloth as the other family wing backs, same goes for Keane at midfield, Conor Cox and Chris Brady, who I wasn't overly impressed with when Crokes played Ballymun in the Club championship but have heard good things about in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

What was O'Sé sent off for a weekend? Looked nothing on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

They will

What you see from Kerry is the stark reality that the guys who are coming up are not ready and even with their top players back they will not be a force.

They will get to the Munster final and may win it depending on what Cork are like and seeing it will be in Killarney but after that they ill not be a force.

An August ready Dublin, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone would beat them.

Ah Tod, 'tis yourself. We missed your yearly insightful Kerry bashing, writing obituary cards, before a ball was kicked in anger in a game of significance. Gooch, Declan, Galvin, and Sheehan,will make a massive difference. I have complete faith in Fitzmaurice to have us right for the Summer. Tommy Walsh's return in August will also be a big boost;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

buyer95 wrote: »
    Ah Tod, 'tis yourself. We missed your yearly insightful Kerry bashing, writing obituary cards, before a ball was kicked in anger in a game of significance. Gooch, Declan, Galvin, and Sheehan,will make a massive difference. I have complete faith in Fitzmaurice to have us right for the Summer. Tommy Walsh's return in August will also be a big boost;)
    TBH, Tod is entitled to his opinion.

I think we're in big trouble, but not by any means dead.

We'll see come Championship time. the league is no place for making judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not Kerry bashing

I live and breath among you , and I find some truth in the saying 'A Day out of Kerry is a day wasted'
    They are my second favourite team by a long shot.

I am just looking at Kerry from a less passionate point of view and I can see very little in this current team that would tell me that they could go beyond a quarter final let alone get to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its very hard to look at the current team and know whats coming this year. There are some big players to come back into the team yet. How much of a difference will they make? only time will tell. Fitzmaurice is paying the price of the lack of youth brough through in the last couple of years. Throw Maher, Sheehan, Galvin, Declan and Cooper back in the mix and it will be a different story. Impossible to judge on the national league so far. Will Kerry win the AI this year, no imho. But at the same time not too many teams will want to draw us either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

45 mins gone in U-21 match; Cork 0-11 Kerry 2-2

2-07 to 0-13

Level.

60 minutes gone.

EDIT: Point Cork, 30 seconds left :(

All over. Sickening. Great comeback and just got caught for time! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

All over, Cork 0-14; Kerry 2-07. Great comeback by Kerry to level it with 2 mins to go but Cork got final point in injury time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I knew that missed 21 meter free would come back to haunt us... Great comeback, that started with Kieran murphy entrance, he single handily turned the tide of the game. We had cork on the rack in the last 20 mins, they will be mightily relieved that they managed to pull it out. A draw would have been a fairer result, but our boys can hold there heads high after that 2nd half performance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Commiserations. Kieran Murphy looks a prospect. Two poor teams however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »
    Commiserations. Kieran Murphy looks a prospect. Two poor teams however.

Bit harsh - first game and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I knew that missed 21 meter free would come back to haunt us... Great comeback, that started with Kieran murphy entrance, he single handily turned the tide of the game. We had cork on the rack in the last 20 mins, they will be mightily relieved that they managed to pull it out. A draw would have been a fairer result, but our boys can hold there heads high after that 2nd half performance

It took Kerry along time to get going the goals in the first half didn't give scoreline a true reflection however, as you pointed out it's was all Kerry in the final 20 mins and probably should have got something out of the game.

Good start for Kerry 5 points to 1.

Declan and Donaghy inside giving us some physicality inside.

Winning a good few frees.

8 points to 1 at half time.

AOM off injured after about 10 mins. Knee or Ankle injury according to Radio Kerry.

Sounds like Buckley is playing a blinder.

Declan and Darren working hard inside.

Mark Griffin on at FB.

Galvin on for Brosnan, Lyne onto the wing.

Declan kicking a few nice points.

1-2 to 0-9.

Down goal was a ball that hit off the post and was knocked into the net.

Penalty for Kerry.

Wide by Darren :o FFS 2 weeks in a row

0-10 to 1-3

A win, 0-11 to 1-5.

Mayo lost as well today, so we need to finish better then Mayo and Down do to avoid the drop.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

DDC1990 wrote: »
    A win, 0-11 to 1-5.

Mayo lost as well today, so we need to finish better then Mayo and Down do to avoid the drop.

With Cork and Tyrone it is a huge ask, however if they can show of their old brilliance then it is doable

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Stop winding each other up - I've deleted some silly off topic posts. Problem with the post, report it - don't continue the argument

Just back good win, only to hear Mayo beat Donegal.

Means we have to beat a very strong Tyrone team away to stay up.

Cork were very poor today, I wouldn't put too much stock in todays game from a Championship point of view.

That aside, good performance. Mark Griffin looks a find. Serious pace, strength and good at reading the game.

Good to see Gooch and Galvin back.

Ref was really disappointing. So inconstant. Wouldn't argue with any of the Kerry cards, especially not Declan (who was an idiot to argue so much). However Noel O'Leary twice tackled a Kerry player high, without a card, and Paul Galvin was punched off the ball twice without any card. Gooch was also punched in the head on the ball causing a brawl, and the ref completely bottled it and didn't give any card!

Anyway, sets it up nicely for Omagh.

Forwards struggled to kick points from play but all scores count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Just back good win, only to hear Mayo beat Donegal.

Means we have to beat a very strong Tyrone team away to stay up.

Cork were very poor today, I wouldn't put too much stock in todays game from a Championship point of view.

That aside, good performance. Mark Griffin looks a find. Serious pace, strength and good at reading the game.

Good to see Gooch and Galvin back.

Ref was really disappointing. So inconstant. Wouldn't argue with any of the Kerry cards, especially not Declan (who was an idiot to argue so much). However Noel O'Leary twice tackled a Kerry player high, without a card, and Paul Galvin was punched off the ball twice without any card. Gooch was also punched in the head on the ball causing a brawl, and the ref completely bottled it and didn't give any card!

Anyway, sets it up nicely for Omagh.

Forwards struggled to kick points from play but all scores count.

Congrats Kerry on good win. Cork were very disappointing and I sort of knew we wouldnt win in Tralee. Makes the league interesting for the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Amprodude wrote: »
    Congrats Kerry on good win. Cork were very disappointing and I sort of knew we wouldnt win in Tralee. Makes the league interesting for the finish.
    It's fair to say there was very little confidence from Cork fans going into this game today and no surprises Kerry won.

Watching the relegation battle unfold the Mayo win today will put pressure on Kerry to win above in Omagh and even though Tyrone are qualified for the semis i'm sure they'll be going all out to beat their old rivals Kerry. Still I think Kerry will win above in Omagh and stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Smashing win for Kerry tbf. Looking decent enough for ye now, building momentum towards championship, Cooper/Galvin well rested and loads of new lads blooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

On train to Dublin from game. Mighty crowd. Both teams were playing men inside as a blanket and labouring the ball back and forth outside the 40. Slow laboured game as a result with low scoring. Kerry werebhungrier at the breakdown and turned over some nice ball. Lead to huge gaps when people actually ran at the back lines as no one went to the man with the ball. Kerry were able to kick a few scores with the wind. Cork were awful. Maybe over trained. That lad 22 that came on was a giant and won a few kick outs. Closer to the champioship team anyway. Gooch is lethal on the forty. Utter class when he came on. Buckley was fantastic and Griffin has a hogan cup medal. Proven record to a problem gap. Looks fab.

Don't think we will beat Tyrone tbh. Not away. Prob relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Both Fitzmaurice and Cork counterpart Conor Counihan kept their teams in for longer than usual at half-time, leading to referee Cormac Reilly demanding their returns.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football...els-in-tralee/

Why would they do this ? curious thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

realies wrote: »
    Both Fitzmaurice and Cork counterpart Conor Counihan kept their teams in for longer than usual at half-time, leading to referee Cormac Reilly demanding their returns.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football...els-in-tralee/

Why would they do this ? curious thanks.

Twas fierce cold in Austin Stack Park so neither team would get their arses off the heaters in the changing rooms. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Got an interview with Bomber in last weekend if anyone is interested in taking a read:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-legends-eoin-bomber-liston/

Was a great pleasure to ask him about winning the County Championship with Strand Road as you can probably imagine :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement