Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also, boom!

marcose.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Surprised there's no chat about this weekend's game, we're possibly a bit anxious!?

Match report on it here anyway if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/allianz-football-league-preview-tyrone-vs-kerry/

As I've said elsewhere, very much looking forward to seeing Cooper in a playmaking role.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    Surprised there's no chat about this weekend's game, we're possibly a bit anxious!?

As I've said elsewhere, very much looking forward to seeing Cooper in a playmaking role.
    Coopers distribution makes him a perfect centre forward but I think we're limiting Declan by putting him in the corner

I'd have him on the wing and a player like Curtain or JOD in the corner tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »

Interesting point made in this weeks Kerryman about the forwards
    The 6 to start are likely the 6 that will start the championship and all but one of them will be from the established group of players, i.e Declan, Darran, Galvin, Star and Gooch.

I know it's a must win game but what's interesting is that apart from Lyne none of the forwards used earlier in the league is good enough to start the final game of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Impressive stuff so far,probably should a couple of goals got,hopefully the missed chances wont come back to haunt us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kerry have been well up for it from the start with support for the man on the ball in abundance. They were diving on the loose ball to gain possession as distinct from an abject Tyrone team - hugely impressive first half, 0-05 v 1-13 more than enough to win the game I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Who got the goal for kerry?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Tomas o Sé

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tyrone came back well and and had a number of goal chances - only 3 points for Kerry, 1 in the last minute, but the foundations were well and truly laid in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Kerry nearly fell apart in the second half. A few points to ease the pressure and some desperate options and free taking. Cleaned out on dirty ball in the second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Delighted for Kerry most of the country wanted to see ye go down, Kerry still have what it takes, great to BEAT the old enemy in there back yard .... Congrats from Tipperary ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kerry survive by the skin of their teeth and showed their true class in the first half in what was an absolute rout of Tyrone inside in their own backyard. The Kingdom survive amid an abysmal campaign but rescued it in the end. I take great solace from their performance today despite the second half collapse and there will be good days ahead this summer yet.

Is this the first time that the Reigning All-Ireland Champions have been relegated from Division 1. That late Dublin point saved Kerry's bacon today!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stinicker wrote: »

Is this the first time that the Reigning All-Ireland Champions have been relegated from Division 1. That late Dublin point saved Kerry's bacon today!

first time since Kerry did it in 2001? (you did ask!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Was just saying on the Dublin thread that I am delighted Kerry are staying up.GAA needs a team like Kerry playing in the top flight and hopefully next years league meeting will be down in Killarney.:D

You can thank Paul Mannion for that beauty of a left foot strike :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Lads ye were blessed today! Played some excellent football in the first half but talk about a collapse in the second. Dublin did ye a favour in the end. Thats three very good results in a row for Kerry, things are looking up. That Buckley lad looks like a good prospect and Paul Galvin is looking fit and hungry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Most GAA media observers have now been shown up as bluffers and guessers (well most Kerry folk knew that already)...They made a non stop song and dance about the mighty Kingdom getting relegated from Division 1 to Division 2. Low and behold the All Ireland Champions and their multi tasking manager have been sent spinning down to Division 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

lala88 wrote: »
    Most GAA media observers have now been shown up as bluffers and guessers (well most Kerry folk knew that already)...They made a non stop song and dance about the mighty Kingdom getting relegated from Division 1 to Division 2. Low and behold the All Ireland Champions and their multi tasking manager have been sent spinning down to Division 2...

That is the thing, a lot of question marks will be raised over Jim McGuinness and if he can really do both.Donegal though will be measured on the championship but it is a big blow to be relegated no matter how much he downplays the league.Donegal look flatter and more hungover than any other All Ireland winning team and it is going to take a lot of preparation and hard work to overcome Tyrone in the championship.

Back to Kerry, well done on winning today and staying up however it would be naive to think that everything is rosy in the garden.I think Kerrys backline needs to tighten up considerably or else they will need to rely on simply outscoring opposition in high scoring games. Against Cork the defence was solid to the detriment of the attack while today was the opposite.Kerry will continue to be a serious threat in the championship butI think the backs is an area that will cost them.

I was delighted by the first half performance today,every player wanted the ball and get on it and do something,thought the lead at half time was enough for us to hold on and we barely hung on in the end,alot of positives from the first half but the second half will be talked about more in the coming days.

Fair play to the Dubs battling back to get a draw as well and keep us up

Thank God the League is over :D

Roll on Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

as a tyrone man I must say I think the chickens have come home to roost for mickey harte. Kerry showed in the first half the way the game should be played. their movement, quality, slick passing, intelligent gameplan was really a joy to watch. tyrones insistence on running the ball slowly, no method in getting ball to forwards found them out. fundamental changes needed in the tyrone management I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

as a tyrone man I must say I think the chickens have come home to roost for mickey harte. Kerry showed in the first half the way the game should be played. their movement, quality, slick passing, intelligent gameplan was really a joy to watch. tyrones insistence on running the ball slowly, no method in getting ball to forwards found them out. fundamental changes needed in the tyrone management I think.

Two anti mickey harte posts in such a short time, I wouldn't look into this game that hard from a Tyrone perspective, IMHO they have looked good this year and had their situation sorted before a ball was kicked, Kerry on the otherhand had it all to play for.
    Tyrone v Donegal will be a cracker IMHO and I can see it being tight but with Tyrone possibly just getting over the line as I think that they might have the centre field upper hand , I don't think that that will be the end of Donegal for the rest of the year, but Tyrone were top of the league going into today's game and were possibly looking down the road.
    I think Tyrone are lucky to have Harte as a manager.
    Good to see Kerry staying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dear Kerry

You're welcome.

Regards,

Dublin.

( PS It just wouldn't be the same without you. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Managed to catch the second half here in Portugal. What a day. Munster win, Kerry win and the dubs save our bacon. We looked terrible in the second half younger guys panicked, and we couldn't get the older lads on the ball. We couldn't buy a break. Anyway, delighted for fitzy most of all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Anyway, delighted for fitzy most of all

This. He's a likeable manager and hopefully we can build towards a successful championship.

The main thing is he's blooded in a few players in the league and should have an idea of where he needs to improve going forward with those young fellas.

Roll on the summer :)

Nice tweet by the boss man.

Eamonn Fitzmaurice ‏@efitz6 15h
    Thanks to all the Kerry fans for their support and patience during the National League. Looking forward to the championship now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

I travelled up with the supporters club and Eamon Fitz came on our bus just before we left for home, to thank us for travelling and for our support. We thought it was a lovely touch.

Also,the Tyrone people couldn't have been nicer and more welcoming.The respect for Kerry football was obvious from so many people.It appears that back in the bad days of the troubles, their football heroes were Bomber and Paidi etc and they were disgusted by all the hype in the media recently about bad blood. Well obviously they love to beat us, but it wouldn't be sport if they didn't.

A good win for Kerry and great not to be relegated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Jesus he would want to smile a little he looked very serious on the TV last eve I think they done OK yesterday Tyrone threw everything at them in the second half with the crowd behind Tyrone and no Kerry support they done well to win it in the end, but its a big ask to expect Kerry supporters to travel up its such a hostile place. I think cooper played well at center forward he controlled the game in first half and spread the ball around beautifully a bit like your man messi as for the championship no 1 team stands out for me at the moment its all to play for, looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Kerry were excellent in the first half yesterday but faded badly in the second half possibly due to their flat out effort in the first half.As the season goes on they will be able to hold that tempo for longer.
    Tomas o Shea was like a train in the first half.Johnny Buckley is proving he is the real deal.Mark Griffin looks a good find and Kieran Donaghy looked back to his best.
    Even better is there was still alot of negatives to be improved upon.For me the biggest was foul count by certain players especially Anthony Maher who gave away at least 10 frees yesterday.Aidan O Mahoney is another serial offender when he is playing.
    It will be interesting to see if Jonathan Lyne holds his place for the championship.Hes playing very well but id love for James O Donoghue to get a run in the team to prove himself.Donnacha Walsh is probably the most likely to challenge for that spot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

people are seriously under estimating the wind impact on the game the last day. it was a virtual storm in Omagh, balls were being kicked into the bottom goals from 50+ yards out, yet 13 meter kicks were being dragged wide at the other end.

winds dont win you games, but they can at times have a huge influence and this was one of them.

people are seriously under estimating the wind impact on the game the last day. it was a virtual storm in Omagh, balls were being kicked into the bottom goals from 50+ yards out, yet 13 meter kicks were being dragged wide at the other end.

winds dont win you games, but they can at times have a huge influence and this was one of them.

Watching it on the telly you could see the flags behind the goals showing the breeze was fairly strong,Im just surprised a sandstorm didnt start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Keane empty your PM box please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement