Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Smith's Extra Smooth

Options
  • 02-02-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    This is my first post here. I would just like to tell you about the new love in my life. I discovered John Smith's when I was in England at Christmas and ever since I've been stocking up on it in Sainsbury's in Newry.
    It is a really nice beer, I find it so smooth and easy to drink, it's lovely with or without food and, although I love Guinness, i just find John Smith's a lot easier to drink. I suppose its a bit like Smithwick's with a Guinness head.
    I'd just like to reccommend it to all you beer lovers if you haven't already tried it. You might be converted.
    So there you have it, short and sweet! ;)

PS No I don't work in the Alcohol industry!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

I love it too but have a hard job trying to find it in the supermarkets and off licences here in Sligo. Some Tescos in Ireland stock it or at least they used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

theres a huge shortage of the stuff in ireland at the moment with the change over from S&N to Heineken. Very hard to come by lately, unless your local was well stocked up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

John Smith's Extra Bland:rolleyes: imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I'm with Rory, it's a nice beer. In London I used to get stuck into them at Wetherspoons pubs for a pound a pint on Monday nights.

I also used to buy Worthingtons Cream Flow and Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

just drank it on tap here in germany.

even my picky girlfriend loves it!

mmmmmmmmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh, i'm converted too, about 2 years ago when i tried a few cans off the shelf from Tesco who don't stock it now.:mad:
    Had some delicious pints on tap in the UK, when you start drinking it, you can never stop :D

Lovely beer, similar to Kilkenny so when i go up north, i do buy alot either in Sainsburys, Newry or Asda, Enniskillen. (Kilkenny is stocked at €1.19 a 440ml can downstairs in a Centra on the street behind Wetherspoons, Enniskillen in case anyone is looking :))

Tesco must have only recently stopped stocking it,Ballina had it in stock at Christmas.Why have they stopped it? Is there anywhere else in Ireland that sells it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

My jaw is on the floor reading this.

John Smiths Extra Smooth? Wow I mean wow, it's bland, tasteless and an insult to brewing and beer.

I can maybe understand when compared to the major players in the Irish market (even then at a push) but to drink this when in the UK is a crime when you can get ale, real ale, from a cask or even porters and stouts.

Those nitrokeg "ales" are awful but if you like this there is also Tetleys smooth flow and a vicious rumour that there is a Courage one coming out soon (from Young's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Irish Halo wrote: »
    My jaw is on the floor reading this.

John Smiths Extra Smooth? Wow I mean wow, it's bland, tasteless and an insult to brewing and beer.

I can maybe understand when compared to the major players in the Irish market (even then at a push) but to drink this when in the UK is a crime when you can get ale, real ale, from a cask or even porters and stouts.

Those nitrokeg "ales" are awful but if you like this there is also Tetleys smooth flow and a vicious rumour that there is a Courage one coming out soon (from Young's).

Hey it may be bland but so is a glass of water and we all enjoy one of them every now and again! :D
    Each to their own and I also enjoy all the quirky english ales, but I just find it a nice drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

Same her OP, a lovely pint. Got into drinking it when living in Bolton/Manchester. Very creamy and tasty. Since I came back it has been near to impossible to find it.

• Advertisement

Cheers DenMan. I'm going to delve into my stash now actually, I'll think of each and everyone of you as I sip. Heck I'll have a bag of cheese and onion while I'm at it.

Bottoms up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

DenMan wrote: »
    Very creamy and tasty.

That's the nitrogen used to serve its and not really the beer

oblivious wrote: »
    That's the nitrogen used to serve its and not really the beer
    Is there nitrogen in the cans?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rory123 wrote: »
    Is there nitrogen in the cans?
    Yep, there's a plastic device called a widget, either stuck to the bottom of the can or floating free in the beer, which contains compressed nitrogen and releases it into the beer when the can is opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

bw wrote: »
    In London I used to get stuck into them at Wetherspoons pubs for a pound a pint on Monday nights.

that brings me back.........:)

I checked and Tesco have removed it from their stock and Heineken are not sure if it will be part of their product range in Ireland!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I checked and Tesco have removed it from their stock and Heineken are not sure if it will be part of their product range in Ireland!:(

I don't think any of the major off-licenses have it. Guess you have to trek up north from now on like the rest of us. At least its a short journey for you to Enniskillen!

16 cans. Perfect working order. Going to the highest bidder. Genuine reason for sale. Can deliver around dublin. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's very drinkable and for a while it was cheap in my local offy but it isn't a tap on some of the Bitters you can get and I'd always take something from the Fullers range of ales before it.

Kold wrote: »
    It's very drinkable and for a while it was cheap in my local offy but it isn't a tap on some of the Bitters you can get and I'd always take something from the Fullers range of ales before it.
    Fullers... I'll keep an eye out for that.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    I don't think any of the major off-licenses have it. Guess you have to trek up north from now on like the rest of us. At least its a short journey for you to Enniskillen!

True,ASDA stock it and the local Wetherspoons (The Linen Hall) have it on tap!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Rory123 wrote: »
    Fullers... I'll keep an eye out for that.

Nice alright, I you see their porter pick one very nice

Actually I realised that I've had it before (I needed to see the name on the bottle to recognise it) I had London pride and the honey one too last night. Nice stuff.

Advertisement