Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does 3.0kcal mean on sprite zero

• 02-02-2009 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

my bottle of sprite zero says 3.0kcal on the side of it.

Is this just 3 of the 2000 or whatever calories per day i'm ment to take?

I'm confused. Does it get you in other ways then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

3.0kcal per 250ml i ment to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Random wrote: »

Is this just 3 of the 2000 or whatever calories per day i'm ment to take?

yup

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you drink 250 mls, you have consumed 3 calories. If you drink 500 mls, you have consumed 6 calories. Ergo, you have consumed 3 or 6 calories out of your daily allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was the k confusing you? outside of science textbooks you can presume calories and kcals are the same thing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie

There are negligible calories in most diet drinks. However I drink a lot of diet club orange, which is about 10% juice, so if I drink 2L a day it is really the same as a 200ml glass of juice, (and sweetners & water etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't know what's confusing me. I guess it boils down to the idea that too many calories is bad, fizzy drinks are bad for you, so how the hell is there only 3 cals in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Because it's full of sweetners and artificial flavourings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'd rather have the sugar than the aspartame tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Random wrote: »
    I don't know what's confusing me. I guess it boils down to the idea that too many calories is bad, fizzy drinks are bad for you, so how the hell is there only 3 cals in it.
    Calories are not a measure of "badness", they are a measure of fuel/energy. Eat more fuel than you need and you will store it as fat.

Nuts are very high in calories but are healthy and good for you. These diet drinks have sweeteners as mentioned. These contain very little calories, while regular ones have sugar and so are high in energy. Lucozade has glucose which is less sweet than sugar (sucrose) so you can drink higher energy drinks without them being sickly sweet.
    I'd rather have the sugar than the aspartame tbh
    If you drank 2-4 litres a day like some people you would probably be better off with the sweeteners. The issues of sweeteners has come up a lot, there is a lot of scaremongering about them.

Sure you are better off drinking water but for some people they might have gone without water if it was not for the diet drinks.

Sprite zero is named since it has (almost) zero calories. Coke zero taste more like regular coke than diet coke, I know people who prefer diet coke over regular coke. Pepsi Max is another low cal version of pepsi, again tastes different to diet pepsi.

These new names are just marketing, I think they are mainly aimed at men who are too macho to be seen asking/buying/drinking diet drinks.

Advertisement