Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen vs Bono

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Bono V Springsteen

No comparison really.

Come back to me when Bono is still going strong after a 40 year career of knock out, ever-changing music and amazing performances. U2 don't even compete when compared to the Boss for live shows. U2's sound has remained the same, and tbh I find it monotonous and boring. They haven't been good since the 80's.

As for his charity work....this is the music forum, yeah?

Generally considered by who exactly? U2 fans? I'm sure all the Led Zep/Thin Lizzy/Coldplay/*insert favourite band/artist here* fans generally consider them to be the best in the world. It is a ridiculous statement to make, whether it's your opinion or not.
    I disagree that its a ridiculous statement to make!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

thermo66 wrote: »
    I disagree that its a ridiculous statement to make!!

That kind of post/statement in generally considered a ridiculous statement to make :)

That kind of post/statement in generally considered a ridiculous statement to make :)
    i disagree that is generally considered a ridiculous statement to make EVER !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

bono is only liked by his fans , and thats a fact .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Come back to me when Bono is still going strong after a 40 year career of knock out, ever-changing music and amazing performances. U2 don't even compete when compared to the Boss for live shows. U2's sound has remained the same, and tbh I find it monotonous and boring. They haven't been good since the 80's.

That is absurd.:pac:

Take a listen to The Joshua Tree.
    Now take a listen to Zooropa.

If you can still stand by your statement then you are either deaf or a liar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

U2's sound has remained the same, and tbh I find it monotonous and boring. They haven't been good since the 80's.

now that is ridiculous!!:rolleyes:

so the 80s ended and we got Achtung Baby (1991)...a total departure form U2 of the 80s
    skip on a bit and we get Pop (1997)....totally different again (and imo one of the best albums of the 90s...disagree all you want it's just my opinion)
    Go forward again and you get All that You cant Leave Behind (2000)...again a total departure from the last album.

love them or hate them there are 2 things you cant take away from them
    1) they have had many changes in sound throughout their career
    2) they are good people who do more than most of us to promote peace & equality in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

How pointless is Bono bashing? All it does is piss off U2 fans! Does anyone really think that Bono could give a crap what people who are, mostly, not fans of his music to begin with think about him? I'll gladly say I've been listening to U2 since I was about 12 and am a big fan of the music, as a band however I just never went there becuase since the start I've heard but nothing but criticism towards Bono and the rest. Facts remains, U2 and many other bands that seem to be widely loathed sell truck loads of records and have a huge fan base. Simple as that, all the Bono bashing in the world is not gonna change that. People listen to music on the most personal level imaginable and you are NOT going to change their opinion by saying some playground worthy remarks about their favourite musician or band.

Anyways, onto the topic at hand, I'm also a huge Springsteen fan and would of course say hands down that in the general scope of things Boss over Bono anyday. He's a better singer, lyricist and he understands music far more. But on another note he's completely different. U2 do what they do better than anyone else (as Coldplay have shown us all) and The Boss will never be matched. Problem solved.

But...as regards what the article is saying, Bono's comment at the inaugaration was just ridiculous, Boss rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Springsteen is'nt afraid to take sides where as Bono sucks up to whomever is in power. That and the fact that Springsteen makes great music whereas Bono and U2 contribute nothing but drivel which when marketed as music is surely against trade description laws.

superbly put.......springsteen absolutley sh1tes on bono imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

aragh, whats so good about Loose Windscreen these days.
    early on born usa etc great. these days a bit of a whingerdylan effort and if anyone is expecting to hear the olg good stuff at concert forget it and prepare to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I just want to say that bono is a nice guy. Sure he has his opinions but who doesnt (this is why we post on boards), he always has time for his fans, i met him in dublin airport and he was very friendly and kept talking until his flight. I have met a few famous people in that airport and it is hard to find one that would give you his time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

... if anyone is expecting to hear the olg good stuff at concert forget it and prepare to be disappointed.

I must have gone through some sort of time warp last year then when I heard:
    Night
    No Surrender
    The Promised Land
    Trapped
    Murder Incorporated
    Darlington County
    Prove It All Night
    She's The One
    Badlands
    Jungleland
    Born To Run
    Glory Days
    Dancing In The Dark

In the RDS last May....

aragh, whats so good about Loose Windscreen these days.
    early on born usa etc great. these days a bit of a whingerdylan effort and if anyone is expecting to hear the olg good stuff at concert forget it and prepare to be disappointed.
    What a RIDICULOUS thing to say!!!

niallon wrote: »
    I must have gone through some sort of time warp last year then when I heard:
    Night
    No Surrender
    The Promised Land
    Trapped
    Murder Incorporated
    Darlington County
    Prove It All Night
    She's The One
    Badlands
    Jungleland
    Born To Run
    Glory Days
    Dancing In The Dark

In the RDS last May....
    + 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

• Registered Users Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I back that up too coz I was there also!

I hate how U2's last half a dozen albums have been hailed by sheep as a "return to form". Music journalists need to grow some balls

I hate how U2's last half a dozen albums have been hailed by sheep as a "return to form". Music journalists need to grow some balls

Yeah i agree.They certainly didn't lose any quality during the 90's.

I love Bruce.I really do.But does anyone else think he's a little overrated?

Glassheart wrote: »

Overrated's a heavy word but he's certainly been pushed to the moon since The Rising came out. I think some people forget the late early 90s when he "tried to write happy songs" and no one was interested :)

It slightly pisses me off when people refer to him as The Boss in some sort of sarcastic ironic jab. He was the boss of the E-Street band as in the main guy running the show - or at least that's my understanding of it :)
    He's hardly the boss of music or any other sort of higher power

Glassheart wrote: »

NO! The mans a legend. He can do no wrong! Especially after seeing him last year.

To be fair i think Bruce refers to the title 'the boss' in a sarcastic, ironic manner also.
    Have you listened to the Seegar Sessions? Excellent. Its what got me into his music.

Seeger session are fantastic - they tackled a problem he had with his "other band" and proved that he can do more than just play stadium rock anthems a la Born in the USA,Dancing in the Dark, can do more than just depessive desperate, disparate acoustic tunes (Nebraska, Devils and Dust?).

I used to think Springsteen was just a greatest hits/best of CD album that you'd buy your father,husband,uncle for birthday/xmas/father's day. He's got so much more scope.

Bono doesn't anymore. He's a rich selfish egotistical cnnt. If the question was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band vs U2 I'd perhaps have more favourable things to say.

Legend status is thrown around to much, especially to people who are still actively making music.

Seeger session are fantastic - they tackled a problem he had with his "other band" and proved that he can do more than just play stadium rock anthems a la Born in the USA,Dancing in the Dark, can do more than just depessive desperate, disparate acoustic tunes (Nebraska, Devils and Dust?).

I used to think Springsteen was just a greatest hits/best of CD album that you'd buy your father,husband,uncle for birthday/xmas/father's day. He's got so much more scope.

Bono doesn't anymore. He's a rich selfish egotistical cnnt. If the question was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band vs U2 I'd perhaps have more favourable things to say.

Legend status is thrown around to much, especially to people who are still actively making music.
    Not in this case. He is a legend. End of !!

• Advertisement

No he's not . End of:)

Ah , I see where this is going...
    Nevermind.

What solo ventures (musical, not financial!) has Bono done ???

To be fair i think Bruce refers to the title 'the boss' in a sarcastic, ironic manner also.

He is referred to the Boss because when the band started out first, he used to take the takings at the door and split the pay between them so the band started calling him the Boss. It then stuck. People who don't know that usually think it has to do with him being such a great musician, he just happened to have become a major act after being known as The Boss.

Ah yeah, I got an aul chuckle at the NFL press conference

"Who chooses the set list Bruce?"
    "Well, erm, me...ye know, I'm the boss :D"

mars bar wrote: »

He is referred to the Boss because when the band started out first, he used to take the takings at the door and split the pay between them so the band started calling him the Boss. It then stuck. People who don't know that usually think it has to do with him being such a great musician, he just happened to have become a major act after being known as The Boss.
    Never mind as you know you are wrong :)

I'd read that Jon Landau (his manager for all you non fans aka weirdo's!!!) gave him the title?? Not sure though. Bruce is very loyal though, he always attributes a lot of his success to The E street band and even when he went solo in the 90's he gave each member a 'redundancy' present of 2 million. I'd call him the boss after that too !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't know enough about Springsteen or his music to decide this one. I agree with niallon though - the Bono-bashing is rather pointless. If you don't like the man, fair enough but insulting him for the sake of it really doesn't achieve anything.

As for those who say U2 have contributed nothing since Achtung Baby, I have 8 words for you:

HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME, KILL ME.

Also, Pop has some quality songs (Staring At The Sun, Gone)

And there's about a milliion albums since then that are rubbish but they're touted as being a "return to form/the return of U2" and all the fanboys rush out and get em and defend Bono to his death

Overrated's a heavy word but he's certainly been pushed to the moon since The Rising came out. I think some people forget the late early 90s when he "tried to write happy songs" and no one was interested :)

It slightly pisses me off when people refer to him as The Boss in some sort of sarcastic ironic jab. He was the boss of the E-Street band as in the main guy running the show - or at least that's my understanding of it :)
    He's hardly the boss of music or any other sort of higher power
    NO! The mans a legend. He can do no wrong! Especially after seeing him last year.

Have you listened to the Seegar Sessions? Excellent. Its what got me into his music.
    Never mind as you know you are wrong :)

I'd read that Jon Landau (his manager for all you non fans aka weirdo's!!!) gave him the title?? Not sure though. Bruce is very loyal though, he always attributes a lot of his success to The E street band and even when he went solo in the 90's he gave each member a 'redundancy' present of 2 million. I'd call him the boss after that too !!!

From BBC News!
    "The defiantly blue-collar Springsteen, meanwhile, dislikes his moniker, The Boss.
    "In the early days when he and the E-Street Band played gigs in small venues, it was Bruce's job to collect the money and pay the rest of the band," says Mr Delahunty. "This led them to start calling him The Boss, a nickname which has stuck."
    I hate bosses," Springsteen has complained since. "I hate being called the Boss." "

So there. :D

Oh and here is the link to the piece. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7829013.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ah yeah, I got an aul chuckle at the NFL press conference

"Who chooses the set list Bruce?"
    "Well, erm, me...ye know, I'm the boss :D"

And there's about a milliion albums since then that are rubbish but they're touted as being a "return to form/the return of U2" and all the fanboys rush out and get em and defend Bono to his death

All That You Can't Leave Behind & How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?
    They're not amazing.Definitely not rubbish either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Utter bullsh*t. As for your previous comment about the last half dozen albums being "return to form", well considering they only released four studio efforts since Achtung Baby, with Zooropa being forgiven as it was recorded and released while still on tour realistically. Pop was really seen as the dive turkey, while All You Can't Leave Behind was seen as the return to form.

Do I agree? Not entirely, much as i enjoyed AYCLB, Atomic Bomb was self indulgent tripe with about two good songs on the entire album. Do music journalists need to grow a set? Some do, do half of the posters here that bash Bono (including you, alan) need to get their heads out of their ass before they go bashing their keyboards and passing off their opinion as actual fact, such as your last two recent posts regarding U2?

Absolutely! :D

Advertisement