Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How...?????/

Options
  • 02-02-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a few questions.

How much are leaving cert results taken into consideration when it comes to applying for a course as a mature student?

I am considering applying for psychology at DBS but for students applying by CAO it says passing Maths is a requirement. I meet all the other requirements but unfortunately not this. Would it be better resitting the Leaving Cert Maths paper before applying or will they not really play that big a part ind eciding if I am accepted or not?

Also how do I show the college that I have an interest in the subject I am looking to study?

When I was in school all I was interested in was art, pretty much ignoring all my other subjects to focus on that. Due to a change in my circumstances I had to pull out of a portfolio preperation plc course and I took up a job which I am still in today but is in no way related to Psychology. My interest in Psychology has only developed in the last year or two and its only now that I have the time to undertake the course.

How can I show them that I am not just someone who has been watching too many tv shows?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

DBS don't require you to sit an aptitude test or even an interview. Leaving results don't really come into it as a Mature Student either. Best thing you could do is contact them directly. They have another open evening coming up in May, last one was last week. i went into it and it was really informative.

Check out www.dbs.ie and look at the different ways of doing Psychology. The part time option is great, 2 nights a week and takes 4 years. I e-mailed them last Sunday night, the prospectus and information arrived in the post Tuesday morning and i went to the open evening on Tuesday night. Financially speaking its great too. You pay per module, it's €450 per module, you can sit a total of 8 modules per year, 4 in first semester and 4 in second semester. Their full time course is 3 years, a year less than UCD or TCD. Also all degrees, full time and part time, are accredited by the PSI, very important, and also eligeble for 20% tax relief.

DBS don't have a cut off date as such to apply as a mature student, unlike the CAO process which cuts off on Feb 1st each year for Mature students. I was told I can apply up to about a week before the course starts, and that they receive the most applications during the summer, July/August time.

Best of luck with the research. I might see you there in September!

Advertisement