Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's Rally Ireland Coverage

• 02-02-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Now I dont want to sound to harsh on RTE, but their coverage on the rally was god awful. The coverage posted had more talking in it then rallying. In comparison to bbc coverage yesterday its a shame for rte to give such a disappointing review.
    Not all of the cover was bad, It was better then 2 years ago and the bit on Loeb at the end had me in tears, it really captured how he is.
    I just think that RTE should have put alot more effort into such an important home event.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭larry1

I have to disagree. The coverage /commentary was very good and informative. Regarding the BBC coverage, that was offical ISC footage and nothing to do with BBC. I think RTE did an excellent job considering the conditions and small entry. Well done Lyster & co:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

BBC only had 1 hour on the whole weekend!!!!! rte had 3 and 1/2 hours over the 4 days!!!

that is way better than the BBC... big deal if rte had to fill it up with talking.. but dont they do that with GAA also at half time and after the matches!!!

i thought the coverage was great on rte the guys knew there stuff and it worked out great i thought..

now only if they did it for the next 7 rounds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

anto-t wrote: »

Yea it would be great if they covered the other 7 any idea what channel will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

dave on sky 111
    eurosport on sky also..

rte will also have a hour show on the tuesday after the rally at about 2 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

larry1 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. The coverage /commentary was very good and informative. Regarding the BBC coverage, that was offical ISC footage and nothing to do with BBC. I think RTE did an excellent job considering the conditions and small entry. Well done Lyster & co:)

I have already posted on the other thread but when i see some of these comments i just have to post again! Look putting aside the top class coverage from DAVE (sky channel 111) RTE's coverage was beyond a joke, i really cant understand how you think that coverage was any bit good, i mean Lyster hasn't got a clue, everyone knows Donnelly is a p***k and okay i like Nesbitt but still the actual on stage footage was shocking. Listening to a commentator that knows less about the sport that most of the people watching was really annoying.
    anto-t wrote: »
    BBC only had 1 hour on the whole weekend!!!!! rte had 3 and 1/2 hours over the 4 days!!!

that is way better than the BBC... big deal if rte had to fill it up with talking.. but dont they do that with GAA also at half time and after the matches!!!

i thought the coverage was great on rte the guys knew there stuff and it worked out great i thought..

Ya exactly it only took the BBC & DAVE one hour to show us plenty of the rally, some good interviews, close camera action at the jumps and on DAVE the WRC car launch control was a very good and interesting segment!

I honestly cant understand how any rally fans would prefer to listen to RTE talking absolute rubbish for 45mins and then showing a few clips of the rally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

RTÉ's coverage of Rally Ireland was informative, entertaining & largely representative of the atmosphere and commentary in the event HQ.

Lyster, Nesbitt & Donnelly were on the stages each day and in the hotel following the action each evening & were well placed & experienced to add value to the broadcast.
    The weather although creating much action and related spectacle unfortunately also contributed to two stage cancellations and somewhat dark & dreary camera imagery of the ’on stage’ footage.

RTÉ’s main issue was largely related to reduced budget, to a large extent limiting the access to ISC licensed footage of the on stage action & the ‘live stage’ loop of Donegal town. This resulted in fillers of interviews, opinions & vintage footage, all well picked & thought through, however, I too would have preferred the spectacle of the ‘live action’.

I, for one, as a 'long suffering Irish rallying fan' would like to compliment RTÉ on their commitment to the event, particularly in these difficult financial times & hope that Irish rallying & motorsport continue to receive coverage as one of the country’s most popular yet severely under media exposed sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

i think rte's coverage was great compared to that of 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

itsjaybud wrote: »
    everyone knows Donnelly is a p***k

I, and many others, don't think he is!

What's your problem with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

dcr22B wrote: »

I fully agree with you there!! One of the best if not THE best rally drivers on this Island!! His record speaks for itself. He performed miracles in that corolla and hes showing great speed in the fabia now. If he gets a proper budget in place this year he will be pushing for podium honours in most events. Donnelly is a true gent of the sport. Nesbitt is a good driver but he has his head so far up his...............
    He thought he was atkinson's right hand man in Rally Ireland!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

Donnelly no doubt can drive but you have to ask the question how legal was the corolla now he got huge chunks of luck in his two wins kpl was taking massive time on him on saturday in donegal and was catching him big time would have caught him and won the rally no contest and galway well sure kpl and bolland were beating him up a stick untill their engines let go.
    but for pure outright speed nesbitt had the balls but then again he may have been fond of the odd bit of illegal recceing
    but the one thing you can hand to Donnelly is he could win on tar and gravel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

hi_sir wrote: »
    Donnelly no doubt can drive but you have to ask the question how legal was the corolla now he got huge chunks of luck in his two wins kpl was taking massive time on him on saturday in donegal and was catching him big time would have caught him and won the rally no contest and galway well sure kpl and bolland were beating him up a stick untill their engines let go.
    but for pure outright speed nesbitt had the balls but then again he may have been fond of the odd bit of illegal recceing
    but the one thing you can hand to Donnelly is he could win on tar and gravel

You obviously have no idea what you're on about.

Firstly, Donnelly drives a Fabia WRC, gave up the Corolla after 2006! There's never been any question of the car been illegal.

KPL may have caught him in Donegal but we'll find out this summer when the same drivers are out again to see if it was all luck?

Donnelly had a couple of offs in Galway (one right beside us) and wouldn't have been a million miles away from KPL and Boland.

As for the assumptions about Nesbitt, never proven so that's without foundation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ah for jesus sake, are people still pushing that line that the Corolla was bent? Rab McDonald had that car taken to pieces and it was fine.

dcr22B wrote: »

Dont get me wrong he was and still is a very talented driver and has showed great control of a car at high speed over the years, i was purely attacking his personality and not his rally driving abilities.

Im probably a bit harsh but it goes back to the various times i came across him during service between stages, i always found him to be very arrogant and quite ignorant towards spectators and service crew members!

Just my opinion on him really and as long as he keeps providing good exciting rally driving im happy, just not as a commentator for RTE!

:mad:So...having checked & rechecked the box listings, RTÉs own programming schedule also, I yawned, stretched & prepared for the excitment...

Basically, I sat up until 00.45 last night/this morning awaiting the WRC Rally Norway coverage...wildlife?! Fncking W-I-L-D-L-I-F-E?!

I kid you not, I'm especially angered after the communal e-mail effort on the part of rallyheads countrywide to compliment them on their efforts for Rally Ireland.

Anyone have any explanation as to why? :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

De Hipster, I feel your pain. I too stayed up last night to record it (as I do all the WRC rounds. Sad, I know! :D) only to find some nature documentary with Vic Reeves on it! :mad:

I e-mailed RTE just before Rally Ireland to find out if they had any plans to show the highlights of the other WRC rounds like they have done the past few years and I was told that they were still finalising a contract for the 2009 season at that time and that, while a programme slot had yet to be decided, they were planning on having it in the same late Tuesday night slot they've been using to date. Seeing as it was advertised in the RTE Guide and on Aertel to be broadcast at 12.45 last night, I assumed that the contract had been sorted out and all was now well. Guess I was wrong!

I've just e-mailed RTE to find out what the story is and I'll let you all know if I get a reply. I have a funny gut feeling though that, with all the cutbacks lately in the RTE Sport department, they might have decided that the WRC highlights programme is something they can do without and save a few bob on and that Rally Ireland is the only round they'll be showing this year. If that's the case, the least they could have done is made some sort of announcement about it or at least not advertise it as being broadcast and then have all us rally fans end up being let down last night. If we'd all had known in advance, then at least I could have recorded the highlights on Eurosport last night instead.

RTE have always have a very haphazard way of dealing with the WRC highlights programme anyway. In 2006 they didn't show Rally New Zealand, last year they didn't show the Monte. And even when they do show it, they often show it in a wrong aspect ratio so it either looks too squashed or too "fat", for want of a better word (and no, before anyone says it, it's not my telly and the way it's set either, it's they way RTE put it out).

I mean, if they're going to show the WRC at all, at least do it properly and give it the respect it deserves and show it in the right aspect ratio and show all the rounds in the season and not show them as and when it seems to suit them. If they're not going to do that, then don't bother negotiating for the rights at all and leave it up to some other channel to show it. Eurosport, for example, don't seem to have any problem showing the highlights in a regular slot (Tuesday night, 10pm) or in the right aspect ratio.

Hey Aidan, reckon you may be onto something with the contract situation. I was happy to assume it had been finalised once the RTÉ schedule was listing coverage.

Now to e-mail to retract all the good things I said post Rally Ireland regarding their dedication to the sport in tough financial times...

I realise increasingly, that as RTÉ update their listings & coverage that I am getting decreasing value for money from the T.V. licence fee which funds them, and now that WRC coverage has been pulled, I'm not sure I've any reason or inclination to watch RTÉ channels at all... /rant!

De Hipster wrote: »

Basically, I sat up until 00.45 last night/this morning awaiting the WRC Rally Norway coverage...wildlife?! Fncking W-I-L-D-L-I-F-E?!

Something similar happened me a few years ago when i stayed up to watch a particular sporting event to no avail, typical RTE imo and even if they did end up showing rally norway what a ridiculous time slot for it to be on, i mean we all know the massive following the sport has here in Ireland and it would get plenty of viewers with a half decent time slot allocation.
    De Hipster, I feel your pain. I too stayed up last night to record it (as I do all the WRC rounds. Sad, I know! :D) only to find some nature documentary with Vic Reeves on it! :mad:

I e-mailed RTE just before Rally Ireland to find out if they had any plans to show the highlights of the other WRC rounds like they have done the past few years and I was told that they were still finalising a contract for the 2009 season at that time and that, while a programme slot had yet to be decided, they were planning on having it in the same late Tuesday night slot they've been using to date. Seeing as it was advertised in the RTE Guide and on Aertel to be broadcast at 12.45 last night, I assumed that the contract had been sorted out and all was now well. Guess I was wrong!

I've just e-mailed RTE to find out what the story is and I'll let you all know if I get a reply. I have a funny gut feeling though that, with all the cutbacks lately in the RTE Sport department, they might have decided that the WRC highlights programme is something they can do without and save a few bob on and that Rally Ireland is the only round they'll be showing this year. If that's the case, the least they could have done is made some sort of announcement about it or at least not advertise it as being broadcast and then have all us rally fans end up being let down last night. If we'd all had known in advance, then at least I could have recorded the highlights on Eurosport last night instead.

RTE have always have a very haphazard way of dealing with the WRC highlights programme anyway. In 2006 they didn't show Rally New Zealand, last year they didn't show the Monte. And even when they do show it, they often show it in a wrong aspect ratio so it either looks too squashed or too "fat", for want of a better word (and no, before anyone says it, it's not my telly and the way it's set either, it's they way RTE put it out).

I mean, if they're going to show the WRC at all, at least do it properly and give it the respect it deserves and show it in the right aspect ratio and show all the rounds in the season and not show them as and when it seems to suit them. If they're not going to do that, then don't bother negotiating for the rights at all and leave it up to some other channel to show it. Eurosport, for example, don't seem to have any problem showing the highlights in a regular slot (Tuesday night, 10pm) or in the right aspect ratio.

im sorry i just cant understand this, you have eurosport and yet you decide to watch the coverage on RTE??!!

i dont think i will ever comprehend why people would watch the WRC on RTE over the likes of DAVE, Eurosport and the BBC when they have one of if not all of these channels?!:eek::confused:

I am missing something here, has RTE drastically changed its coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Something similar happened me a few years ago when i stayed up to watch a particular sporting event to no avail, typical RTE imo and even if they did end up showing rally norway what a ridiculous time slot for it to be on, i mean we all know the massive following the sport has here in Ireland and it would get plenty of viewers with a half decent time slot allocation.

im sorry i just cant understand this, you have eurosport and yet you decide to watch the coverage on RTE??!!

i dont think i will ever comprehend why people would watch the WRC on RTE over the likes of DAVE, Eurosport and the BBC when they have one of if not all of these channels?!:eek::confused:

I am missing something here, has RTE drastically changed its coverage?

RTE is handy for the people like me that have freeview but if they aint showing WRC well then its going to hae to be all online for me I guess,
    RTE though could cut out some of there other truly terrible programs in favour of the WRC (Im think on "This is nightline") but i suppose you cant have everything in this recession:(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Folks you are here slating RTE WRC coverage as compaired to Dave and Eurosport, there is absolutly no difference in the coverage apart from a five minute slot where you can add content to suit your area, for example ireland usually do the Irish guys , and dave usually do something stupid with a celeb i know which one i'd rather watch!

If anyone still has the RTE and eurosport coverage on sky plus from each night you will find the actuall footage of the stages is identical apart from one or two clips, the five minutes i talked about above, and because the RTE coverage was an hour they used lots of filler and interviews.

Anyway, i'll stop ranting now, the bottom line is the wrc is filmed by one company and the exact same footage is sent to all companies (Dave, Rte and eurosport) the only criticsm i have of the coverage is that i can't understand why the donegal town stage wan't run live like stormont in 2007, as the donegal town stage was streamed live online!

• Advertisement

i can't understand why the donegal town stage wan't run live like stormont in 2007, as the donegal town stage was streamed live online!

One word = Budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

What I usually do is I record the highlights show on RTE onto my HDD/DVD recorder and then edit out the ads and all that and burn it onto a DVD. I record the RTE broadcast because I'm usually recording or watching something else when Eurosport are showing it a couple of hours earlier. Guess from now on I'll have to do some re-scheduling of my own and record the Eurosport broadcast of a Tuesday night instead! ;)

I wouldn't have minded RTE not showing it last night if they had given some warning in advance or at least changed their schedules to indicate it wouldn't be on. This thing of RTE advertising something and then replacing it at the last minute with something else is bloody ridiculous and happens far too often, not just with the WRC but with many other programmes. I mean, fair enough, the RTE Guide is something they can't change at the last second because it's printed the week beforehand (and the schedules for it are probably compiled even a couple of week before that, perhaps) but surely it wouldn't be a big job to update Aertel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

RTE+Motorsport=Sh1te

Folks you are here slating RTE WRC coverage as compaired to Dave and Eurosport, there is absolutly no difference in the coverage apart from a five minute slot where you can add content to suit your area, for example ireland usually do the Irish guys , and dave usually do something stupid with a celeb i know which one i'd rather watch!

If anyone still has the RTE and eurosport coverage on sky plus from each night you will find the actuall footage of the stages is identical apart from one or two clips, the five minutes i talked about above, and because the RTE coverage was an hour they used lots of filler and interviews.

Anyway, i'll stop ranting now, the bottom line is the wrc is filmed by one company and the exact same footage is sent to all companies (Dave, Rte and eurosport) the only criticsm i have of the coverage is that i can't understand why the donegal town stage wan't run live like stormont in 2007, as the donegal town stage was streamed live online!

Im really not trying to get into an argument and im after stating several times what i thought of RTEs coverage of rally ireland, but i have to say i think your missing the point, its the coverage as a whole and the entertainment that just wasnt there when watching the WRC on RTE compared to DAVE (my favourite channel to watch WRC). Honestly find it hard how you can compare the two in terms of each programme as a whole.

As i have mentioned previously the Launch Control segiment during rally ireland on DAVE was so interesting to watch, you really would never see this type of footage from RTE.

I take your point regards the actual on stage footage, thats pretty obvious that its the same but not all of it, once again DAVE had great coverage of crest where their cameras were rights beside the action and all be it that clown shane lynch was there the footage was well worth it.

I think the coverage commentary at this stage is over-stated & verging on unhelpful.

If we, as a nation, with a keen interest & large competitor base in rallying (including other motorsports), do not have any indigenous coverage regardless of calibre it cannot improve.

I longingly reminisce of the ‘80s when on arrival home following a long day’s spectating a full round-up programme had already been compiled for broadcast, by Irish-based channels & Irish-based camera operators, reporters, editors, producers, sound technicians...

Non-constructive criticism will result in no further investment or effort on the part of those disparaged & ridiculed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

Hey I posted another thread and was told about here. I cant believe they took it off i was really looking to it. Regarding the Donegal Town stage, RTE's budget was cut from 200,000 to 75,000, so maybe they could only afford to show some rallies:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

I am a huge motor sport fan.
    rtes coverage was total and utter rubbish.
    to much total boring chat.
    Dont get me wrong i want to know why and what of tyres surface
    and weather conditions. but please once is just enough.
    more coverage of racing more interaction with the team's PLEASE.
    More coverage of the event before and after .
    Peter cCollins would have been a brilliant compare.
    there's also a girl that covers irish motorsport. Cant think of her name.
    she is brilliant to interact with drivers she really knows her stuff.
    When i think of her name i will come back to you .unless some one gets it before me
    r.t.e take your heads out of your backsides.

Completely agree with you and so says everyone i know.
    Total ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

same with everything in Ireland tbh endless amounts of money poured into the GAA and all other sports are forgotten about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I cant believe ye are still bit ch ing about this over a month later, like get over it:o

well lets hope they make more of an effort next
    year. especially when the eyes of the world are watching.
    How embarrassing.

CATWOMEN wrote: »
    I am a huge motor sport fan.
    rtes coverage was total and utter rubbish.
    to much total boring chat.
    Dont get me wrong i want to know why and what of tyres surface
    and weather conditions. but please once is just enough.
    more coverage of racing more interaction with the team's PLEASE.
    More coverage of the event before and after .
    Peter cCollins would have been a brilliant compare.
    there's also a girl that covers irish motorsport. Cant think of her name.
    she is brilliant to interact with drivers she really knows her stuff.
    When i think of her name i will come back to you .unless some one gets it before me
    r.t.e take your heads out of your backsides.

You sound a bit upset or even bordering on the crazy line!:) but too pick up on one thing you mentioned. If its the presenter from On the Limit Sports (the blonde one) then yes i would agree shes very good, tried to find her name, with no success!

name anyone??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You sound a bit upset or even bordering on the crazy line!:) but too pick up on one thing you mentioned. If its the presenter from On the Limit Sports (the blonde one) then yes i would agree shes very good, tried to find her name, with no success!

name anyone??
    Brid Deery.

Advertisement