Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally able to leave 3...where should I go now?

• 02-02-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

After suffering through a full year with 3 and their appallingly bad customer service and technical support, I am finally able to cancel my account and take my business elsewhere. I'm not going to revisit all of the issues I had with 3, because it will just make me unnecessarily cranky, but suffice it to say even informing them that I wanted to cancel my account involved 20 minutes in a hold queue followed by 10 minutes of carefully repeating myself to a girl who genuinely seemed to want to help, but just didn't seem to have enough English or knowledge of 3's terms of service.

Anyway, I have 30 days before I need to sign up for new service, and was wondering where I should go next? I'm leaning towards O2 at the moment, as they have a SIM only plan that will suit me since the handset I use is unlocked. One of the main things I want is a decent internet connection as I use my phone for email, web, Google maps and IM and Skype via Fring. Anyone able to vouch for O2's 1gb / €15 per month 'phone as a modem' broadband offering? Or should I look to Meteor or Voda?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What are your number of mins and texts a month? And to what networks?

You said leaning towards o2, if it is mostly o2 to ring, for €20 unlimited calls and texts, plus €15 for the broadband 1gb add-on. If you dont need 1gb they have 250mb for €7.50. Monthly total of €35 or €27.50. Also no contract, but requires thirty days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

I looked back through my last few 3 bills, and on average I use about 250-300 texts a month, 300-350 voice minutes and around 50-75mb of data. The 3 bills don't specify the networks I contact, but I'd say they're evenly spread between 02, Meteor and Voda. O2's 'Clear 350' plan (350 voice, 150 texts) plus a 200 text add on and either the 1gb mobile broadband or the 250mb mobile internet add on would seem to have me well covered and still save me €15-€25 a month compared to what I am currently paying 3. The month-to-month contract is also an option that holds a lot of appeal, just in case they turn out to be as frustrating as 3.

The only concerns I have is that O2's data connections are (a) slow (b) unreliable or (c) limited to web only (ie, ports used for email, IM or VoIP traffic get blocked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You seem to nearly have it all sorted then. The thirty day notice is very nice, but i wouldn't be afraid to be in a contract with o2.

I find the internet with o2 fine, very rarely downtime or errors. Certainly a lot less errors than i experienced with 3. The speed is fine for mobiles, can be slow indoors area dependent if using it as a modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Check that you will be able to get all the relevant settings for your unlocked handset first. It may be useless as a modem if o2 don't support it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement