Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It Possible (Art L.C.)

Options
  • 02-02-2009 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I took up art in fifth year having already done it for J.C. I did it for the J.C. because it was easy enough to get a good grade and it was also a doss. even though i dont hav much of an aptitude for art i find myself still doing it. What i want to know is that is it possible to get a good grade in art (Maybe even an A) even if you dont hav the talent? Is it possible to get better at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's possible to get better at the technicalities of art - drawing, control of a paintbrush, etc. The conceptual stuff... is quite difficult, I don't know how you'd teach someone to come up with unusual ideas, but I suppose it's possible to train yourself to think creatively...

If you're not very good at drawing etc. you can concentrate on Art History and try to get a really good mark in that, then do abstract art for your practical and keep it nice n' vague.

Otherwise... well, tbh, As in Art are pretty hard to come by, a lot of people with amazing artistic skills will only get Bs due to Art History, and even if you do well on that, it's still only 37.5% of the grade...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Art in the Leaving Cert can be done in a few ways. You can go down the creative routes or you can go down the Technique routes. Or an in-between. If you struggle with being imaginative you can always focus on better toning, perspective, etc. through Still Life.

Even if your project portion doesnt turn out great, theres still a lot of room to make up points in the History and Appreciation; simply studying up and being able to critique someone else's work. Which in its own way, helps your own art out - "Oh I see what [Monet] did there...I could do something like that."

Sat it twice: The first time I did a less than great poster, but Aced the History, and got a B. Second year I did a great Poster, and fumbled the third section of the paper, and got a B. Go figure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I only started doing Art in 6th year, the history part looks straight forward enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I only took up art for leaving cert and the history part is wrecking my head. I didn't realise it was 37.5% when I started art :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Art is the bees knees! Even though I only took up this year for the Leaving Cert, really enjoying it. Very relaxing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement