Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lack of colour/impact in photo question

• 02-02-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

hi there

have a canon 30d with a with a 17-85 efs lens. I am not happy with the quality of photo's I am taking. They seem to lack colour, look dull and have no real impact. I have tried increasing the colour saturation, taking on full auto, increasing the sharpness, monitor calibration, using different online development (snapfish adn photobox) but still not happy, am i missing something in the set up of the camera.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Go into your menu on the camera and look to see what the camera is set to ie portrait, landscape or neutral. Each version has the ability to change certian features ie contrast etc depending on what it assumes you are shooting at.

Are you shooting RAW or JPG??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

hi mikeanywhere,

shooting on standard,
    sharpness maximum
    contrast, +1 above centre
    saturation +2 above centre
    Colout tone +2 above centre

all in jpeg 3504x2336

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Any examples you could post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

Hi GhostInTheRuins

have make two sets in my flickr account, one for the canon 30d and one for a point and shoot camera I used before and really feel like going back to. Here are tow that look ok on screen but very dull and washed out when printed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

They look okay to me. Maybe not enough contrast, but a quick adjustment of the levels easily fixes that.

Could it be your printer?

Edit: Didn't see the attachments, it's hard to tell anything from that boat picture because it's really, really bad quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

They look fine on-screen to me too. I thought it might be the colour profile, but they seem to look the same in Internet Explorer so it's unlikely to be that. Make sure you're using sRGB for the web, and whatever the printer specifies if you're getting them printed. One thing you seriously need to do is change your JPEG compression, as it's horribly high at the moment and the photos are full of artifacts and look terrible. This could be happening either in-camera or when you're resizing for the web. If you're worried about size, I would recommend reducing the dimensions and lessening the compression significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

+1 to 'they look good to me' (non calibrated display)

so if they're busted in any way i probably should throw my camera in the bin :)

They seem to lack colour, look dull and have no real impact.

The first appears to me to have good saturation and while the seaside scene in the second has little in terms of contrast, it would appear to me that it is the nature of the scene being captured.

Honestly, they don't look bad at all :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You could try getting a circular polarizing filter, it will help cut out reflection (which tends to be white) and make colours "pop"

It will also make your blue skies bluer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

From a non-technical point of view can I point out that virtually nothing in either photo is in sharp focus.

Advertisement