Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best/Worst January signings

• 02-02-2009 7:29pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So which clubs in your opinion pulled off the best deals in January?

Nolan to Newcastle is one for me as is Heskey to Villa and even Given to City could be considerd one as they supposidly only paid 7m, Bullard should be a good signing for Bolton too. Rodadellega for Wigan could still surprise everyone and really highlight Bruce's recent good business too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

James Beattie was a good buy for Stoke imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Keane to Tottenham.

An excellent player for Tottenham, plus they make a profit on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Best:
    Keano to Spurs & Given to Man City

Worst:
    Ben Heim to Sunderland, terrible player imo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Worst: Keane
    > Spurs = joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

So which clubs in your opinion pulled off the best deals in January?

Nolan to Newcastle is one for me as is Heskey to Villa and even Given to City could be considerd one as they supposidly only paid 7m, Bullard should be a good signing for Bolton too. Rodadellega for Wigan could still surprise everyone and really highlight Bruce's recent good business too

He went to Hull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Christophe Dugarry - Birmingham City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so no mod about to make this best/worst January instead of Januar signings eh?
    He went to Hull.
    yes he did, youve spotted my 2nd OP mistake, good move for Hull i meant.

dont think there have been a huge amount of bad buys tbh, over the top ones yes, odd ones yes, maybe bad sales but most clubs will probably be happy with the purchases they made imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Best - Rune Lange Valgarran - Leyton Orient
    Class signing for them

Worst - Ricardo Quaresma Inter - Chelsea
    Bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Worst:
    Ben Heim to Sunderland, terrible player imo:D

He was very good for Bolton

if he gets back to that form could be a very good signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

city did very well, even without kaka

bridge, bellamy, de jong and given

all solid if unspectacular players who will do well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Bad idea

+1

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Bad idea
    marius wrote: »
    +1

why? they need width, he has worked with Scolari before, its only a loan and joe cole is out.

whats to lose with this deal for Chelsea really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Heskey seems like a good buy. I always figured Villa lacked that type of striker, so I think he could do very well there. I hope for his sake Given will do well at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

why? they need width, he has worked with Scolari before, its only a loan and joe cole is out.

whats to lose with this deal for Chelsea really?

Exactly it's only a loan deal.
    Nothing to lose for Chelsea.
    Personally I think he'll be a lot more suited to the English style of play than the Italian.
    He's a very direct player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lassana Diarra has been the best Winter transfer so far this season. Quality acquisition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Steve Bruce and Wigan were always going to lose players in this window. His signings have been impressive, I personally believe they are just as strong now as they were on the 31st December. So he gets the nod from me for overall signings.

Personally I think Emile Heskey is the best signing of this window. A manager who knows the player well, a player who always gives 110% and has proven this season already that he is still a top player at both PL and international level. He seems like a perfect fit in so many ways for Aston Villa.

Theres been a couple of others as well.

On my own team, maybe just maybe the signing of El Hadj Diouf by the man that made him a better player duing his time at Bolton end up being huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

event wrote: »
    city did very well, even without kaka

bridge, bellamy, de jong and given

all solid if unspectacular players who will do well

Which is exactly what City needed and the type of players that Hughes likes. All will do a good job. I think Given has to be the best bit of business of January if the price being quoted is correct. He's a snip. And his age doesn't really matter because he always seems very fit, has never been injury prone and could have his best years (or at least good years) ahead of him like Van Der Sar.

I like Heskey to Villa too. Relationship goes back a long way with O'Neill. Probably knows how to get the best out of him. Although when he's got Carew fit, it could be tough to choose between the two. Good to have competition for striker's places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lassana Diarra has been the best Winter transfer so far this season. Quality acquisition.

Then Huntelaar must be a crap one thus far. He has had about 5 appearances and no goals. Juande doesnt even pick him as an automatic even with RVN injured. Higuain and Raul are ahead of him. He has not looked that impressive to me so far and the fact he was bought as a RVN replacement and still doesnt manage to be picked aint saying a lot for the guy. I am putting my money on him being another Dirk Kuyt or Alves. Bang in a tonne in the lowly dutch league then get found out against higher class opposition.

+1 on Diarra. He has been impressive thus far for Real.

redout wrote: »
    Then Huntelaar must be a crap one thus far. He has had about 5 appearances and no goals. Juande doesnt even pick him as an automatic even with RVN injured. Higuain and Raul are ahead of him. He has not looked that impressive to me so far and the fact he was bought as a RVN replacement and still doesnt manage to be picked aint saying a lot for the guy. I am putting my money on him being another Dirk Kuyt or Alves. Bang in a tonne in the lowly dutch league then get found out against higher class opposition.

+1 on Diarra. He has been impressive thus far for Real.

Huntelaar has been recovering from injuries mate. And his form at Ajax has always been like that, not score for a few games and then go on a rampage for 10 games, rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Beckham to Milan. If there was ever a point to be proven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Who would want to sign a Jaguar?

I'm not sure how anyone can tell now which sighning is good or bad.

Keane was certainly the best business made by any club, assuming they're not relegated.

Asharvin could be what Arsenal need for a late push, but I doubt it.

Given seems to prefer money over ambition. I believe the investment can put City up with Chelsea in a few seasons but they have far too much ground to make up now.

I see this is now the atari jaguar of threads, had hoped someone would change Januar to January but this will do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

GuanYin wrote: »
    Given seems to prefer money over ambition. I believe the investment can put City up with Chelsea in a few seasons but they have far too much ground to make up now.

This seems like an odd statement. Would he have showed ambition by staying at Newcastle? For that matter, if you reckon that Man City will be up with Chelsea in a few season, would that not be showing ambition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This seems like an odd statement. Would he have showed ambition by staying at Newcastle? For that matter, if you reckon that Man City will be up with Chelsea in a few season, would that not be showing ambition?

It depends on whether Manchester City were the best club in Europe interested in signing him. I find that hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Form the perspective of a West Ham fan, I am delighted at the transfer window for my club, and I think that the actions of the board and manager have given rise to the most astute business of the window.

In June 2008 the club was saddled with a mountanous wage bill, and it was no longer sustainable. It also became nigh on impossible to sell of the dead wood which had accumulated in the squad.

Since then the club has got rid of Solano,Ljungberg,Zamora,Pantsil,Wright,McCartney,A.Ferdinand,Bowyer,Ethrington,
    Quashie,Bellamy,Mullins,Walker,Faubert,Reid,Davenport.

In their place they have brough many unknowns such as Behrami, Illunga and Di Michele who have contributed greatly, while Diego Tristan has played a part. Younger players like Jackie Collison, Jamie Tomkins, and Fred Sears have been utilised in conjunction with the developing Mark Noble. Robert Kovac is a top quality signing, while Savio Nesereko comes with huge reputation and joins the youngsters as men of development

It has also facilitated the retention of Rob Green, Lucas Neill, Matthew Upson, Scott Parker, and Carlton Cole who are crucial to the clubs continuing progression. At the outset of the window it looked as though they might all depart. As of now, they are still at Upton Park

The next step must take place in the summer. All the loanees must be sold permanatly, and the likes of Walter Lopez, Luis Boa Morte, and one of Tristan or Di Michele must be cut loose.

In their place must come top quality players with international experience. The club must keep spending within its means, and all the troubled times may just be over !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have to say I'm delighted with out January signings, all of which are very good Premiership players. We've strengthened a number of key positions and the signing of De Jong in particular could be crucial as it allows Vinny K to step back and play centre half.

I would have liked a big target man but I'm very happy that we told Blackburn where to shove RSC. Shows that we aren't willing to bow down and pay anything for a player.

Good business from Hughes and the club so there can be no excuses if we're shit between now and May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Some very interesting business over the past month. I'm looking forward to seeing de Jong for City particularly and obviously Arshavins' arrival in the Premiership is exciting. I'm also glad to see Robbie Keane head back to Spurs but disappointed to see Diarra leave the league (although Revista de la Liga keeps me in touch with his performances).

As a Man United fan, I don't really know what to expect from Llajic, Tosic and de Laan as of yet but, as goes without saying - I trust SAF and the scouts down to the ground. I have to reserve judgement on them until I see more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Het-Field wrote: »
    In their place must come top quality players with international experience. The club must keep spending within its means

Unfortunately, achieving both of these aims may prove to be extremely difficult for any club in the current transfer market. However, ye definitely look to be going in the right direction as a club - performing well on the pitch while removing dead wood off it.

Xavi6 wrote: »

I would have liked a big target man but I'm very happy that we told Blackburn where to shove RSC. Shows that we aren't willing to bow down and pay anything for a player.
    I think its more like we told you where to shove your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Best Signing: Shay Given (Good solid goalkeeper, but I feel sorry for Joe Hart. He looked pretty decent for such a young goalkeeper)

Worst Signing: Craig Bellamy (Not worth the money. He's a bit of a loose cannon and is coming towards the end of his time as a top flight footballer)

2jezjbn.jpg

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think its more like we told you where to shove your money.

Really? You believe that we offered you either 25 million up front or a cash plus player exchange deal for someone who hasn't played in months and says he wants to leave and you turned it down? Come on now.

Really? You believe that we offered you either 25 million up front or a cash plus player exchange deal for someone who hasn't played in months and says he wants to leave and you turned it down? Come on now.
    I don't believe you offered us 25m up front, but we were not letting him go unless the money was ridiculous. We told you to shove 14, 15, 16 and 18m, for a player we bought last season for 3.5 mill.

We showed you where to go with your money. The 25m figure was the one that we would have accepted during window but not at the end of the window. I've been told that a substantial figure was turned down today because we had no time to replace him. I cannot vouch for that as its the same guy who said he was joining you guys two weeks ago and we were getting someone on a loan deal. But either way we certainly told you to shove 18m.

And we told you where to shove your 25 million evaluation :)

And we told you where to shove your 25 million evaluation :)
    A bit of shoving on both sides then.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

25million is a retard evaluation, don't care who is buying him.

• Advertisement

Actually, how did I forget Nikola Žigić. He's definitely been the best transfer in the Winter. 4 goals in 4 (or maybe 5) games for Racing Santander. More goals than he scored in 1.5 seasons at Valencia. I'll never understand why he purposely went missing on the last transfer day in the Summer as to avoid moving back earlier. Lazy b*stard. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

25million is a retard evaluation, don't care who is buying him.

Not really. Blackburn were not putting a value on the player, but on the price of relegation which they believed they had a greater chance of suffering if RSC was let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Personally I thought the Bellamy transfer was absolutely superb...

...but then I'm a Hammers fan.

The Davenport move was brilliant too. Zola is managing to farm out the squad's chaff players with aplomb. The only West Ham move I disagree with was letting Bowyer go when he'd performed so well for the team.

Though one must wonder how he fits in when Parker and Noble are playing so so well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think Fulham done very well out of the transfer window, getting rid of Jimmy Bullard I think was a mistake but they have brought in a coulple of great signings and managed to sign Danny Murphy to another contract. Giles Barnes especially is a brilliant (loan) signing for them and I reckon he could rip it up for them if given a chance although I think he isn't that long back from injury, I am just excited to see him back in the Prem and hopefully he is given the chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Good business from Hughes and the club so there can be no excuses if we're shit between now and May.

well yis were ****E on Saturday - i thought you lot would hammer Stoke pre game, and even more so during. Must drive you mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Worst = Julian Faubert going on loan to Real Madrid for rest of season

callaway92 wrote: »
    Worst = Julian Faubert going on loan to Real Madrid for rest of season

How could you possibly know that? He hasn't made an appearance.

In fairness to David Moyes, he might have done it again. Getting a 19m striker on loan to the end of the seaon. Mind you he has not done anything yet at Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

eZe^ wrote: »
    How could you possibly know that? He hasn't made an appearance.

I thought question meant what was most stupid transfer..just worded differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

In fairness to David Moyes, he might have done it again. Getting a 19m striker on loan to the end of the seaon. Mind you he has not done anything yet at Man City.

Yeah but he's almost guaranteed a good run at Everton so it'll be interesting to see if he's actually of Premiership quality or not. He's still young and probably needs to get used to the English style of play but I reckon you could be right, could be another stroke of genius from David Moyes. Excellent manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Great move for a team with no fit strikers. And if Moyes gets the best out of Jo they might make a push for 5th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think palacios was definetly the best signing he should really toughen up our midfield i was only disappointed that we didn't bring in a quality left back and i mean by that is an experienced one that can defend well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I think palacios was definetly the best signing he should really toughen up our midfield i was only disappointed that we didn't bring in a quality left back and i mean by that is an experienced one that can defend well
    Chimbonda?

Gangsta wrote: »
    Chimbonda?

He's a RB not LB but can be used to provide cover in the other back four positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think the best signing is either Beatie or Quaresma. Beattie will get goals for Stoke and cost them virtually nothing and should be a good foil for Delap. Quaresma is a top quality player who'll offer us width where without joe Cole we had none.

As for the worst, it's either Defoe or Keane. One of them would have been good but both? They have 5 strikers now, 3 of them are really really similar and one of them has already shown he doesn't thrive with much competition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement