Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pig Health problem help

Options
  • 02-02-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days my two guinea pigs both male 5 Months old have starting developing small prominent spots under their coats around their necks and along back and one of the bigger spots is flaky possibly from scratching .
    They are fed a pelleted food reinforced with vitamin C and fed fresh fruit and veg almost daily , water changed daily and cage is kept very clean.

Any ideas ? im thinking possible pararsite ? Any body know any treatments for guinea pigs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

This is very common it is either a mite infestation or a fungal skin problem.
    If the hair is coming out in clumps with dandruffy type scurf on it it's fungal if the spots are raised and sore it's mites. Best thing is to take them to the vets and they will give you some ivomectin, one drop only on one ear and then repeated after 7 days if it's a bad infestation it will need to be done a third time. But never treat guinea pigs with more than one thing at a time where possible.

With mites you need to get the ivomec asap as it gets very sore and open wounds can get infected quickly and the pig can go downhill.

If it's fungal and it's not treated they can end up having fits and become very ill.

So it's important it's treated asap. It's cheap and easy to treat however.

Do check out this website http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/ they have all the info you need on skin care for guineas and as an alternative you can use their products once you are 100% sure it's either mites or fungal but if in doubt to talk to your vet. It could also be a combination of both and they have an oil melt for that.

The gorgeous guinea products are highly effective and a lot less harsh on their skin than shop bought products.

For either skin condition change their bedding daily, newspaper and hay is best.

Even the best looked after guineas can pick up mites and fungal conditions, although a run down piggy will pick up things as well but it sounds like your two were just unlucky, mites can be in the hay sometimes.

If unsure do talk to the vet and you can also e-mail the Gorgeous guinea site she really knows her stuff and her products have saved many a guinea pig that I've taken in over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have bought a spray on treatment for the guinea pigs that i have heard good reports from iv just put it on this evening and sterilised everthing in their cage if the condition does not improve within a few days i will be sure to get to vet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just ensure its specifically for guinea pigs, sprays can be a bit strong for them. The piggies will need bathing to prevent mites and to keep their skin in good nick anyway every 2 months or so, the Gorgeous Guineas shampoo is great for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im sure they had mites since i bought them it must of only flared up now. It is safe for use on guinea pigs i checked to make sure. Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Advertisement