Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To early to fertilise fruit trees ?

Options
  • 02-02-2009 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

One of my fruit trees is starting to leaf is it to early to fertilise them ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

Hi

Fertilizer is generally applied to fruit trees before the buds break. There's no problem doing it now though. Think back to when the trees were fruiting last year... were they good croppers? If so you might find that you don't need to apply anything as their roots are pretty good at finding nutrients..

Use a balanced fertilizer if you decide to go ahead with it, 10,10,10 or something similar

Cheers

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Feed with sulphate of potash to promote flowering and fruit. This can be done in early spring as trees beginning to bud......more more importantly in Aug/Sept when the tree is forming its fruiting buds for the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I would think it is still a little early to think about that.
    I have a small apple tree (duel type) and I usuall give them a feed in march/april sometime, depends on when the leaves are really starting to show and then again when the flowers start to show and once again while the apples are swelling. This last time not only help the fruit this year but helps the tree to be strong over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

inishindie wrote: »
    Use a balanced fertilizer if you decide to go ahead with it, 10,10,10 or something similar

I prefer 10-10-20 myself... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Why does everyone in ireland presume 10-10-20 can be used to fertilise everything. This is an agricultural grassland fertiliser used to produce silage. This should never be seen in any self respecting gardeners arsenel.....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Let me be a bit more specific:
    10-10-20 wrote:
    [Start Humour]
    I prefer 10-10-20 myself... :pac:
    [End Humour]

:P

Advertisement