Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Deposit

Options
  • 02-02-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I put down a deposit for a car which i though that i was going to buy. The car dealer said that it was a perfect car. I got it checked out in a mechanic's first and to put it bluntly the mechanic said that it was a piece of s*** and to avoid it. So I brought it back to the dealer and said he wouldn't give me back my deposit as I had entered a contract yet I didn't sign any contract. Can anyone tell me where I stand on this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

It depends on whether you stated that your purchase was dependant on your mechanic giving it a clean bill of health. If your mechanic found problems with the car or found out anything that contradicts the description, then you will be able to secure your deposit back since the description didn't match the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contracts can be verbal as well as written.

In such a situation, it should have been stated that the purchase (and deposit) was contingent upon examination of the car by an independent assessor.

However, it is a bit unfair to keep the deposit in this situation as it appears the car was not fit for purpose.

I would suggest contacting SIMI and if this dealer is a member, seeing what they recommend.

Advertisement