Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install windows vista on a mac from a download

Options
  • 02-02-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ok!so i've just got a new macbook and am a totally new mac user..bought windows vista from the microsoft and chose to download it instead of have the dvd sent to me as i thought it would be faster..(!) but it's downloaded in 3 different parts which have saved into my documents folder and i cant find instructions anywhere on how to install this!please help me!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What sort of file did you download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 elizj27

there were 3 different ones - one called boot.wim, one called install.wim and one called vista_home premium.exe, which seems to be the `"real thing". Problem is,when i double click it it just comes up as a document in "computer language"..its driving me mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

yeah, um, i don't think it's that simple, i'm pretty sure you have to run bootcamp to install an ms os on a mac. at the very least, i'm sure you'll have to run the installation from boot up. and you're aware you will probably have to format the hard drive unless you're running a dual boot??

ahh i dont know!i really havent a clue what to do...i tried running it on bootcamp but the only option is to insert the windows dvd which i dont have coz i downloaded it i never got a dvd!maybe your meant to make one yourself or something but its still gonna be the same files on it which arent working...:S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

your best off heading over to the mac forum, smart guys over there. i'm not actually a user so i can't advise you any further i'm afraid!
    just be careful that you back everything up if you're not really sure what you're doing!

• Advertisement

ok off i go...:P

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Bootcamp needs a full Windows CD to install from. What you downloaded sounds like a Windows Upgrade intended to run on Windows, not Mac OS (.exe will, as a rule, not give you what you want be default on a Mac).

Advertisement