Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Problem with RAM upgrade

Options
  • 02-02-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

I was helping a friend out upgrading his RAM on a Dell Dimension 8100, i ordered the correct RAM using crucial. When I replaced the RAM and powered up, it didn't work , it tried to start, but only got so far and nothing appeared on the monitor. I then put back in the old RAM thinkin the PC couldn't handle it and wanted to check some settings, and the same thing happened and is still happening. I am really worried now that there is some serious unrepairable damage done. The memory slots were underneath power supply and hard to get to, so there was lots of rumagging about, but I didn't touch mother board...

any ideas\suggestions much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

did you try resting the cmos and try the ram i stick at a time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

No, I haven't - so to reset cmos, i just take battery out for a while, correct? why would I then put the RAM back in one at at a time, i thought they worked as pairs

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

silly thing but just to make sure.
    1) unplug it from mains
    then
    2) Remove battery

Seems like an obvious thing but a few people don't think about the mains.....

ok, so I reset the Cmos and put in the old RAM one by one, after powering up with one stick, it beeped several times, about 10 and then nothing, with the two sticks in, it did the same as before, just tried to start and a little click, but just doesn't, no fans going atall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Those beeps are motherboard language the amount of beeps you get refers to a problem , google it and you should find it out . Do you have any other ram you can try in it?

• Advertisement

I finally got this working after alot of messing (tinkering). Computers are such a volatile thing, there's never a straightforward solution. I reset the cmos several times, trying the RAM I had plus different RAM in different slots, no joy, then unplugged hard drives and cd drives, and ram in original position and booted up, it worked, reconnected everything and it worked normally, then tried new RAM and it worked. Stoppped working after a while - did same thing again and it worked, stopped working again later - sounds like a dodgy PC, it's old, but for anyone with similar problems, just keep trying different things, i had given up hope of it ever working and suddenly it did --- i'll never figure out this PC business, logic is thrown out the window alot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

On the contrary, whatever is happening will be entirely logical, you just need the tools to find out. As someone said above, write down the beeps the motherboard is giving out and google it. Look up dell's support site. Did you ground yourself by touching a radiator or something before fiddling with the ram? Did you try RMA'in the RAM to crucial?

Advertisement