Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

someone in the river?

• 02-02-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

i just got a text saying that someone had jumped off the bridge into the river, can anyone confirm? sad news if it's true.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Jaysus if it's true that's awful and I pity the emergency services who have to go out in this cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

Apparantly they pulled a body out last night from behind the bus depot down on the quay..

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

yea I was there last night - arrived 2 mins later. She jumped in but the water wasnt high enough and she hit the rocks. Was told to leave just as they got a river rescue boat to attempt to get her out. Don't know what happened to her after it - wasn't nice - was cold and snowing at the time - she had a large gash in the top of her head, and was passing in and out of conciousness

Anyone hear is she ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

this is probably going to sound terrible, but imagine things are so bad you decide to throw yourself into the river on one of the coldest nights for a long time, and then you fail at doing that. what kind of depression are you going to sink into now?
    i dont mean that to read like a joke, but the family and friends of that person will be afraid to let her out of their site

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

she was a waterford woman of about 40 I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

longshanks wrote: »
    this is probably going to sound terrible, but imagine things are so bad you decide to throw yourself into the river on one of the coldest nights for a long time, and then you fail at doing that. what kind of depression are you going to sink into now?
    i dont mean that to read like a joke, but the family and friends of that person will be afraid to let her out of their site

people who dont suffer from depression could never understand what it feels like to be properly depressed.

imagine the chemical that makes you happy being simply non existent in your head

even if someone put a million euro in front of you you couldnt be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Hopefully I'll never be in as dire a situation as this poor woman found herself in. I can't pretend to understand what she was thinking, but I'm hoping that once she jumped she realised that maybe things aren't THAT bad, and with mercy shown to her she'll realise that there is love and help out there for her if she wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

The rescue boat was doing a sweep down by the North Wharf earlier. Usually means they are looking for a body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

The rescue boat was doing a sweep down by the North Wharf earlier. Usually means they are looking for a body.

negative dude no one in the water at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

the family and friends of that person will be afraid to let her out of their site

I thought generalisations like this weren't allowed here :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 deise proud

actually just to inform you, i was a member of that boat crew today and it is in fact the City's Fire Service, who are fully responsible for all river rescue incidents, the boat is manned 24/7 and can be on the river within 4 mins of getting an emergency call as it is crewed by full time firefighters.

what was happening today was only an training exercise and this happens 3-4 times a week at all times..

Advertisement