Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Thai food in Dublin??

• 02-02-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I love Thai food and have been to many of the popular Thai restaurants in Dublin; Saba, Siam Thai, etc. However is anyone is looking for a really good Thai restaurant they should try Thai Gardens in Blanchardstown village. It's a real hidden gem and according to my bf does the best Thai curry he's ever tasted outside of Dublin! I'm always interested in trying new Thai places though, can anyone recommend any?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My current favourite is the Siam Thai in Dundrum. It's a little pricey but worth it for an occasion.

I'd love to hear other suggestions though. There's something so satisfying about Thai food. It really hits the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

dudara wrote: »
    My current favourite is the Siam Thai in Dundrum. It's a little pricey but worth it for an occasion.

I'd love to hear other suggestions though. There's something so satisfying about Thai food. It really hits the spot.

Siam Thai is GORGEOUS! Went there with the Boyf for his B-Day! The one in Westmoreland st?? I think?? Thai Orchid is nice on a good day, but i have had bad meals there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

dudara wrote: »

Got a bit of a meh for me. Went for chicken cashew nut. Thought it was very over priced.

All I could think while eating was, I've had dozens of dishes nicer than this for about 4e in thailand. Not a fair comparison but its not something you can't ignore in your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

The chinese/thai place in the epicurean food hall is nice.They do a mean stir-fry and green curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Ant

I’ve only been to Thai Orchid once but I wouldn’t be in a hurry back as the spicy noodles were much too hot – possibly to make up for the otherwise blandness of the dish as there was very little vegetables to accompany the noodles.

I’ve had many a great meal out in the Chilli Club (just off South Anne St.) and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. I’ve also been to Thai Orchid on Ely Place, Pad Thai in Portobello and Tiger Becs on Dawson St. (one occasion each) and couldn’t complain about any of them.

(I should probably point out that I’m a vegetarian but that’s not a problem in Thai restaurants – though it does limit choices available to me.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sangre wrote: »
    Thought it was very over priced.
    Wouldn't disagree with you re the pricing. I do think that they are expensive, which is why I usually go there at lunchtime. I put a review up on my blog here.
    Sangre wrote:
    All I could think while eating was, I've had dozens of dishes nicer than this for about 4e in thailand. Not a fair comparison but its not something you can't ignore in your mind.

It's a wee bit unfair alright - but I am seriously thinking Thailand/Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia etc for my next hols. Food is a major factor in such decisions.

I'm not a major fan of the Thai Orchid - it's a bit generic. Tiger Bec's is OK, but they do know how to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

chilli Banana for me in drumcondra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

coco06 wrote: »
    chilli Banana for me in drumcondra.

I like the food there but not mad about the service, decor or atmosphere of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

diep is very nice but pricey, but diep home takeaway is gorgeous

Baan Thai in ballsbridge (above crowes or paddy cullens - can't rem which) is the best for me - and good value too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Pattaya Thai in Cabinteely is a small mostly unnoticeable Thai restaurant tucked away in Cabinteely, that does very good food (and offers takeaway). Always a great place to visit on a whim when you've forgotten to reserve a table anywhere else. The Thai staff are incredibly friendly and service-oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Weeping Thaiger in Bray was my favourite, it's gone now though. I think they still have restaurants in Naas and Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I love Thai food and my two faves are mentioned already. The Chilli Club off South Anne St St and Baan Thai upsatirs from Paddy Cullens in Ballsbridge.

Great food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I can vouch for the Thai Garden in Blanch. It has a sister restaurant of the same name in Galway. Both are excellent value, with superb food.

Thai Garden in Blanch does an early bird for €17.95 - 3 courses plus tea/coffee! Every dish is bang on. It's my favourite restaurant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Tak Thai deliver to Dublin 8, and are excellent. Everything's pretty much as you'd enjoy it at a restaurant.

The bit that really got me was that I ordered a soup. The polystyrene tub looked like it had very few vegetables, and little but coconut milk. Disapointing? I upturned the tub, and everything was stacked upside down so that when poured, you got what looked like proper soup. So the coriander was on the bottom of the tub. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I love Thai food and have been to many of the popular Thai restaurants in Dublin; Saba, Siam Thai, etc. However is anyone is looking for a really good Thai restaurant they should try Thai Gardens in Blanchardstown village. It's a real hidden gem and according to my bf does the best Thai curry he's ever tasted outside of Dublin! I'm always interested in trying new Thai places though, can anyone recommend any?

Duh! I just re-read this and I meant to write outside of THAILAND, not Dublin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

garbanzo wrote: »
    Baan Thai upsatirs from Paddy Cullens in Ballsbridge.

Great food.

I second this. It is very good, and about half the price of Diep. The tables are too close together, it is very dark, but the food is properly spicy, generous and delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'm very fond of yo thai, the mount merrion one is better than the donnybrook one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Wongs in Ranelagh is very nice.

Advertisement