Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy anything in a charity shop?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

my mam always picks up little its in charity shops

my brother in law once bought a brand new tux for about 20 quid

still though, I would never think of going into one.

Are you serious? Why the hell not? It's not like the clothes aren't washed and sorted out before being displayed. And you can always just wash what ever you buy when you get home anyway.

That's presuming you are concerned about the health factor. Refusing to go in to a charity shop for any other reason is either being a prude or a brand zombie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I got a class suit jacket in there for a fiver, wasgreat. Some guy probably died in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I buy quite a few LPs and 45s from charity shops.

Generally UK charity shops are better for vinyl and not as expensive as here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Senna wrote: »
    Used to always pick up stuff in the SVP shop, used to have loads of old cds and books. Remember once going in and asking them if they wanted some computer stuff, printers, cd drives and old monitors etc. but they didn't want them, suppose it would only sit in the shop for ages.
    for legal reasons
    they can't take electrical goods
    or toys that don't have the CE mark

LOL
    Plebian is also someone who is sexually attracted to ice cream according to Dr. T Ferguson. This theory is disputed by Prof. M. Cowlester. In a recent boards discussion, Sir Moo Cowlester disputed claims with a harsh, but fair, "O RLY?"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I got a class suit jacket in there for a fiver, wasgreat. Some guy probably died in it.

Not like the ones you get in those Limerick charity shops - holes all over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Um, yeah...

I've a few tops, shoes, books and ornamental thingies from them. But I always clean them down and make sure they're super gleamy before using them :o

I bought my friend a bag from one today, turned out to be online for super expensive prices :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

for legal reasons
    they can't take electrical goods
    or toys that don't have the CE mark

Something to do with second-hand goods that are now known as "White Goods".
    The EU (with some sense behind the idea) says now that such second hand goods could be of risk to users to whom they are passed onto. Plus there is even less guarantees and easy methods to gain money back should something go wrong.
    So the EU brought in a ruling that such "White Goods" should be now disposed of or recycled in a proper traceable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

I'd honestly never consider going into a charity shop.....

Interesting thread though cos I saw a place called Second Avenue in Sandymount featured on Expose this evening - they buy barely worn designer gear from women who won't wear it again and then sell with a small mark up so you can get designer dresses and bags for a fraction of the retail price...

What are your thoughts on this? Its not exactly a charity shop because it is 'for profit', but the clothes and accessories are still second hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'd honestly never consider going into a charity shop.....

Interesting thread though cos I saw a place called Second Avenue in Sandymount featured on Expose this evening - they buy barely worn designer gear from women who won't wear it again and then sell with a small mark up so you can get designer dresses and bags for a fraction of the retail price...

What are your thoughts on this? Its not exactly a charity shop because it is 'for profit', but the clothes and accessories are still second hand....

Sounds like the swap shop places that are becoming popular due to the recession. I'd be happy to get clothes from there but can't be bothered with charity shops--too many clothes from Penneys and Dunnes and I can afford them at full price.

By the way people round here don't normally admit to watching Xpose! Don't worry I watch it too:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I once bought a bag in a charity shop. There was a tenner in that little zipped pocket inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

i get my jeans in charity shops, i keep an eye out and when i find a pair that fit I buy them.

quite a lot of shirts too, and both my main pairs of shoes are from charity shops. So is my winter coat.

I'm a fan. and a cheapskate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Neesa wrote: »
    I once bought a bag in a charity shop. There was a tenner in that little zipped pocket inside.

It paid for itself.

I've bought a load of books from charity shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Me mother gets loads of books from them. She has some collection of little vases aswell. Bloody loads of the little feckers. They wouldnt even hold flowers their so small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

misty76 wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering what everone's thoughts are on this? My friend got a lovely handbag in a dublin charity shop for 3 euro and says she often pick's up some stuff thats in great condition, i've never been in a charity shop so wonder do many people out there browse around charity shops or is it a big no no??

what if someone died in it?!!! :rolleyes:

why would it be a no no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I bought a few Atari games, some metal dinnerware and some dishes in Goodwill a while back. Some good finds sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Only once, and that was to find some odd clothes for a fancy dress party

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have a look sometimes, but it's always just tat

In America it's a differnet story though, their thrift stores have amazing stuff

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Charity shops here are rarely very good, I used to get a lot of stuff in the UK when I was a teenager. Oxfam kept me in velvet jackets in the mid 90s. :)

The trick is to find out where the local hoi polloi do their charity giving if you're after designer stuff (which can be found if you're bothered with that kind of stuff).

I got my Tippi Hedren suit for Halloween in one last year, it was pretty nice, I felt almost guilty cutting "beak" holes in it and fake blood all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

phasers wrote: »
    I have a look sometimes, but it's always just tat
    You just have to keep looking around. This weekend I got a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt, a Harris tweed jacket and a hand printed silk tie, all of which are in perfect condition, for a total of €7.50.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

My dad bought a pair of trousers in a charity shop in England a few years back , anytime he has them on he gets called "Dead man walking"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Sowra

i love charity shops- you have to be in the mood to sort through mounds of v necks and nasty glittery nylon tops from the late 90s. But when you do find good stuff its great.
    Ive noticed the charity shops near me are a lot busier in the last few months.

theres a shop thats opened on georges st called the 'Vintage Store' and its just charity shop clothes about 4 times the price, cos the shop called itself vintage. eg penneys tops for 8 quid when they originally cost 4 quid new. chancers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There's nothign wrong with charity shops, you can get some great finds in there. I bought the missus a pair of leather trousers one time in the Sheepskin Shop that cost €100, she picked up the most fantastic shapely pair for less than €10 a while back in one of the Casa shops.

We also found a Brown Thomas two piece leather suit for €50 another shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

I regularly buy stuff in charity shops. If its something funky and its cheap and fits me, then yeah, i'll get it. sometimes you can buy clothes and use the material to make other things.
    I dont see why it would be a no no, maybe with a certain class of people, but they buy "vintage" stuff and its pretty much the same thing.
    Plus the money goes to a charity which cant be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

Thats cool seems more people are in favour of charity shops than not.. When i posted i just used the term of phrase "no no" meaning would some people look down on them and shun them. I dont care what people do to be honest and will start having a look in them when i get time..

Ok so now i will ask, would you admit to friends you bought something in a charity shop or would you be embarrased to? Or would you be embarrased to be seen walking out of a charity shop by someone you knew? Be honest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Sowra

Ok so now i will ask, would you admit to friends you bought something in a charity shop or would you be embarrased to? Or would you be embarrased to be seen walking out of a charity shop by someone you knew? Be honest..

nope. not in the slightest. why would I be embarrased? i honestly dont see why it would be embarrassing.

if a friend asks me where i got something and its something i got in a charity shop i freely admit it.

if you look well it doesnt matter where you bought your clothes.The other extreme- you only have to look at the social pages of irish magazines to realise that throwing money around doesnt mean your gonna look well. or even human.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Or would you be embarrased to be seen walking out of a charity shop by someone you knew? Be honest..
    I have so many other embarrising traits, fetishes, foibles, faux pas and habits that being seen in a charity shop dosent even register on the embarrisment radar.
    I tend to gloat about finding something I like in a charity shop, but then again I also gloat about making a perfect arc when I projectile vomit after drinking too much. It's only embarrising if you allow yourself to be embarrised.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have a directors chair in my room that I bought for 50p or a £1 it's class.

They are meant to be great for old vinyl and stuff (I saw an old Boomtown Rats single I sort of regret not picking up now, it was in rag order though)

I don't go into them much but should, the worst thing that could happen is someone sees you in one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I wouldn't tend to buy clothes there, it's usually just Penneys and Dunnes crap that frankly, I could probably afford full price. The odd time I'd pick up a pair of jeans there and make a skirt out of them. But I've bought **** loads of bags, bangles, belts, cups, books, scarves etc. No problem with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some of these charity shops are charging more for stuff then what they actually cost in the hight street stores .This is clothes and bric a brac , etc they got for free .

Never go into them myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i got tons of stuff through one...

mdoel cars,

a dreamcast ( plus games )

misc car books...

just random rubbish tbh

Advertisement