Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy anything in a charity shop?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Tom Trojan

Yes. Vintage clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

misty76 wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering what everone's thoughts are on this? My friend got a lovely handbag in a dublin charity shop for 3 euro and says she often pick's up some stuff thats in great condition, i've never been in a charity shop so wonder do many people out there browse around charity shops or is it a big no no??

ok, not read most of the responses on here... but yep, frequently. most of the tshirts i own are from bands/gigs, while most of my trousers are from the eager beaver... but most jumpers/hoodies/random bits of tshirt etc are from charity shops. one jumper in particular i loved, a big woollen one, polo neck, perfect winter huggable jumper, for €3. can't compete with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I find them great for books as someone said before, every few weeks I go looking in the local ones for some more, they are a lot cheaper than buying them new and your giving to charity which can't be bad ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I'm a big fan, always was. Worked in Oxfam once for 6 weeks. Now i usually give stuff to my local Mrs Quinns and last time i was dropping stuff in i saw a gorgeous necklace (silver and turquoise) for 2E. Score :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

Again, lots and lots of books, a few CDs, and if I see really nice bags, jewellery, clothes etc. I'll pick them up too. I would be funny about wearing secondhand shoes, but shoes are just something I generally don't like sharing. That's probably just a personal quirk (or, for this thread, 'no no'). I have to say I find charity shops in the North much better than this side of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i buy records and books in them, sometimes they are quite expensive for 2nd hand goods though imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I just donated a few bags of old clothes(jumpers, t-shirts, jeans, jackets etc) to a cancer shop over the weekend.
    I made sure to give them a wash before handing them over as the clothes are in good nick and basically hardly ever worn so some buyers out there are getting a bargain for a good cause!
    I'd rather give the clothes to charity shops than that swindle of the clothes banks where they end up in the hands of criminal gangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

Some great bargains to be found in charity shops if your prepared to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's spelled swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Serafina27

I havent sent clothes with Tags on them to the charity shop! Its not all secondhand as such! Friends have found unworn shoes etc!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

phasers wrote: »
    it's spelled swap
    Swapshap?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

gurramok wrote: »
    I'd rather give the clothes to charity shops than that swindle of the clothes banks where they end up in the hands of criminal gangs.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OldGoat wrote: »
    Swapshap?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What?
    Actually there is a lot to what he say's .Stealing clothes designed for charitys is big business in uk .

As for buying in charity shops ? The odd buke here and there .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

:confused:
    A poor attempt at word play by me. A self inflicted FAIL.:o
    I'll just nip outside and put myself down now.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Picked up a perfect-condition copy of Super Mario RPG for Wii for €5 in Oxfam Sligo. There were a few other games in there, including X-Box 360 and PS3 titles, for the same price. Almost all my suit jackets come from charity shops, and they're all in excellent condition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Swop or Swap?

it's spelled swap

Hey Phasers, 'swap' is usually regarded as the US spelling with 'swop' more commonly used in British spelling. Due to the propogation of US TV and other media, you may have seen 'swap' bandied about more but both spellings are actually correct. See:

http://globalswops.blogspot.com/2008/06/swop-or-swap-that-is-question.html

Also, as Oldgoat points out, 'swapshap' does not resonate quite as well!

Take care...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Sure adverts has a ton of second hand crap. As does Ebay so can't really complain about people using charity shops to save a few shillings. I did in fact go into one near Christ Church for the lol and ended up finding a very rare vinyl that cost 3 euro and a Stephen King hardback book that was in mint condition for like 4 euro. So have to say despite past inhibitions about going into them I am quite happy I did.

jay-me wrote: »
    Sure adverts has a ton of second hand crap. As does Ebay so can't really complain about people using charity shops to save a few shillings. I did in fact go into one near Christ Church for the lol and ended up finding a very rare vinyl that cost 3 euro and a Stephen King hardback book that was in mint condition for like 4 euro. So have to say despite past inhibitions about going into them I am quite happy I did.

Sure jay-me, eBay is a prime example - just because it's sold over the internet doesn't mean it's any 'newer'! In fact eBay may disguise a host of quality deficiencies - at least if you go to a shop you can inspect the quality, utilising all five senses depending on what you're getting!

Sure jay-me, eBay is a prime example - just because it's sold over the internet doesn't mean it's any 'newer'! In fact eBay may disguise a host of quality deficiencies - at least if you go to a shop you can inspect the quality, utilising all five senses depending on what you're getting!

Don't think I will ever taste anything out of a charity shop lol but yeah true point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Don't think I will ever taste anything out of a charity shop lol but yeah true point

You simply haven't lived.

Is it wrong to buy stuff online as it's cheaper?

Example Some John Grisham books. Generally cheaper second hand on amazon.co.uk than the 4 euro they cost in charity shops.

Should I be banished for all eternity for considering such a thing?

mathie wrote: »
    Should I be banished for all eternity for considering such a thing?

In short yes

hmmm.... ok, I didn't properly consider the taste one... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hey Phasers, 'swap' is usually regarded as the US spelling with 'swop' more commonly used in British spelling. Due to the propogation of US TV and other media, you may have seen 'swap' bandied about more but both spellings are actually correct.

Like the now-almost-dead 'gaol' being replaced by 'jail'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

it's funny somebody asking the question, why would you not buy something from a charity shop if you saw something you liked? I always buy stuff from charity shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I went into the Oxfam shop in Sligo and saw a shirt that still had the River Island tags on it,someone must have got it for Christmas and didn't want it.I paid €9 for it,Happy Out:):)

it's funny somebody asking the question, why would you not buy something from a charity shop if you saw something you liked? I always buy stuff from charity shops

Personally, I think the pre-recession uber-consumerism had a lot to do with it Sinead... during the boom we saw ample evidence in the media and with our own eyes of people almost actively aspiring to pay the highest price possible for the best and latest label possible. Now as the tables have turned, we are seeing a kind of reverse snobbery where people will boast about how little they paid or how much they saved, and spending extorionate amounts is becoming regarded as distasteful... Saving is the new spending! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ak6879

Hiy hi hi,

Im going to a dublin tomorrow charity clothes shopping, I got some nice stuff in London charity shops - hardly or not worn.
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend some good locations, mas e do thoil e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Oxfam Books on Parliament St
    Oxfam on Georges St
    Enable Ireland on Georges St
    Oxfam Home on Francis St
    Barnardos on Liffey St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have not read all the other comments because I dont want to read the badness I associate with afterhours. I work with SVP and I have to say if it was not for the money spent in our shops many people would be out of work. All this said administration is only a small tiny part of our budget

This year we have given a massive amount of support and aid to the needing people of Ireland. Without your support and contrabutions we could not have done. Its a small amount to you but its massive to us.

We are all in the SVP out of the goodness of our own hearts. Please give generously and support where possible. Remember a guest bedroom does not have to contain new furnature!

Thanks

Advertisement