Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy anything in a charity shop?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

defo buy everything in there and lidls hehehehahahahahohoho oh hey listen dont get me started on TRANSFORMERS 2 defo gonna be great :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Magic.Marker

I've brought CD's, books, pc games, cute knick-knacks, designer handbags.. once brought a Louis Vuitton bag for 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

I've brought CD's, books, pc games, cute knick-knacks, designer handbags.. once brought a Louis Vuitton bag for 2 euro.

cool mate which 1 was that ill send the mrs down in d morn hahaheheha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Start at the Bleedin Horse (or Rathmines if you can hack the walk). Walk up Camden St, Aungier St, Georges St. I then normally go through Temple Bar and up Liffey St, but I've also been told that Capel St has some good charity shops.

There are plenty of shops along the way, especially around Camden St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I live in charity shops and my daughter's the same. Went to the Oxfam bridal shop a couple of months back to look for a wedding dress for her but she's quite petite and not alot there suited her.

I'm not into main stream fashion and prefer the bits I pick up in these shops although I wouldn't buy second hand shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

neverrrrr !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

and that was just a trip to Brown Thomas!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.icsa.ie/icsa/Main/mapDublin.htm

Dublin 1
    Barnardos
    33 Lower Liffey Street (018730937)
    Enable Ireland
    25 Capel St (018733867)
    Gorta
    136 Capel Street (018748044)
    Gorta
    32 Lower Liffey Street (018731155)
    Irish Cancer Society
    156 Capel St. (018726838)
    Mater Charity Shop
    17 Lower Dorset St (018787801)
    St Vincent de Paul
    91/92 Sean MacDermott Street (018550022)

Dublin 2
    AGE Action
    30/31 Lower Camden Street, (014756989)
    Enable Ireland
    28 Lr. Camden St. (014780647)
    Enable Ireland
    8 Sth Gt Georges St. (014782763)
    Irish Cancer Society
    69 Lr. Camden St. (014750811)
    Oxfam Ireland
    South Great Georges Street (014780777)
    Oxfam Ireland
    23 Parliament Street (016707022)
    Oxfam Ireland (Fair Trade Shop)
    54 South King St. (016710308)
    St Vincent de Paul
    11 Lower Camden Street (014750989)
    The Simon Shop
    57 Lower Camden Street (014757012)
    WA WA Women's Aid
    39 Aungier Street (014759927)

Dublin 6
    Barnardos
    206 Lower Rathmines Road (014974717)
    Cheeverstown
    Rathmines (014971197)
    Cheeverstown
    Templeogue Village (014924867)
    Oxfam Ireland
    204 Rathmines Road (014964181)

Dublin 8
    Oxfam Home
    Unit 3, 79/88A Francis St (01-402 0555)
    Enable Ireland
    69 Thomas St. (01 454 2681)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

No i wouldn't and don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Which was obviously fake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I buy lots of books in charity shops. My sister and I dressed ourselves entirely in clothes from the Oxfam in Rathmines for a charity day at our school a few years ago and now they've made it an aspect of the charity day to do so.

Okay the clothes are often not great, I wouldn't shop there exactly, but if you do find something nice, and remember it's all for charity, then well done, what's wrong with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

I got a lovely jacket in Oxfam. I find they have mainly older age clothes though, I rarely see anything I'd wear but picked up some nice things for my mother. Can often get nice pieces of jewelery, antiques, books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Which was obviously fake.

Why was it obviously fake? It's a charity shop not eBay. My other half picked up a stunning two piece Brown Thomas leather suit in Enable on Georges Street for €50 a few years back. I hate to think how much it must have cost new.

Why was it obviously fake? It's a charity shop not eBay. My other half picked up a stunning two piece Brown Thomas leather suit in Enable on Georges Street for €50 a few years back. I hate to think how much it must have cost new.

I just can't see someone giving a real LV away, I guess I'm just skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have shopped in Charity shops yes. I bought a suit once when I was younger for a job interview. I did not see the point in spending hundreds (back when thats what they cost) for a new suit just to wear once (confident I would get the job). I had no shortage of money so it was on principal I picked a charity shop. The suit was grand and only cost about €20 or so.

I have not been in one in years but they are handy for interesting things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Splendour wrote: »
    I live in charity shops and my daughter's the same. Went to the Oxfam bridal shop a couple of months back to look for a wedding dress for her but she's quite petite and not alot there suited her.

I'm not into main stream fashion and prefer the bits I pick up in these shops although I wouldn't buy second hand shoes.

I remember buying a skirt in Enable Ireland, brought it home and asked my daughter what she thought of it. She laughed and told me it was her skirt; she'd given it into the shop a couple of days before!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

cool mate which 1 was that ill send the mrs down in d morn hahaheheha

please please please PLEASE stop with the hahahahahehehahahahoahohohahoahahehahh

and yes I'd buy anything in a charity shop, a lot of the stuff is still new anyway with tags etc.
    they don't take crap in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Haven't bought something in one for years. Anytime I used to pop my head into second-hand places like Harlequin, a lot of the guys clothes had that zany student-style look about them, like the far shore of retro. Once you hit 30, it's a dodgy look, imo.

Definitely wouldn't have a problem with it if I found something I liked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I just can't see someone giving a real LV away, I guess I'm just skeptical.
    Lots of designer stuff ends up in charity shops. It's where most Vintage shops source their stock. Finding a genuine LV is not uncommon. Finding real pearls amongst the costume jewlery is a frequent occurance.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Full lenght Cashmere coat, with real silk lining, 30 euros, I have it 4 years now, and its the warmest coat I ever bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

I always buy teddy bears in the same charity shop.. they're for my dog, I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wish I found good things in charity shops. I go in every so often to get some books and it's all old lady stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I've never bought from a charity shop.

I've nicked loads though.

(may not actually be true)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I often donate to them but can't remember the last time I bought something in one.

It depends on the 'something'. I suppose you can find out of print books and that sort of thing so I certainly wouldnt rule it out. I would not buy household things like kettles, & probably not clothes either but things like books/DVD's/CD's etc why not ? People buy 2nd hand or pre-viewed videos /games etc in xtravision so why not the ones in a charity shop ? Plus it's recycling for a good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Lots of stodgy jewelry that people think isn't fashionable. Primitive plastic, bakelite, glassware. Valve radios. Gutted when a good few of the shops in Dublin stopped stocking electrical items.

Oxfam in Dun Laoghaire has a big rummage basket full of nana tights.. teabag coloured. 75c for two pairs I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Amalgam wrote: »
    Oxfam in Dun Laoghaire has a big rummage basket full of nana tights.. teabag coloured. 75c for two pairs I think.

God I hope you are joking. That would be one of my locals - that and the 'help the aged' one a few doors down (which is a more local charity & so one I would support first). Not sure what their tights selection is like though, probably much the same only more faded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Ive bought books before, my gran used to get her books in Svp shop in town & I went along & realised OMG BARGAIN!!!! 10 near new books for 3 Euro, happy days!
    Friends of mine get really nice vintage stuff in some place in Georges Street Arcade.
    The only thing I think id have a problem with is shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think ill pay the charity shops a visit again. Havnt been in one for a couple years when I hate to find my friend a hillbilly shirt for his halloween costume (this mission was a success)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Morlar wrote: »
    God I hope you are joking.

No, sadly not. Mothballs and salmon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

yes, they're great if you rummage well

Advertisement