Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow - experiences

• 02-02-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Caught in a snow storm on the way home from work tonight - came off twice (slow moving), anyone else have trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

reece wrote: »
    Caught in a snow storm on the way home from work tonight - came off twice (slow moving), anyone else have trouble?
    You're not the only one who dropped the bike today I'd say...

I just avoided the bad weather by going into work at 10:00 and leaving at 16:00! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Serious problems in this weather. A lift or public transport is yer only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Yeah I went and dropped it on the way home:o
    Think I got a bit overconfident after surviving the whole day, including a bit of a blizzard up on the Nangor road about 4pm.
    Thankfully a couple of cagers even got out to help me up, restoring my faith in humanity somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Yeah I went and dropped it on the way home:o
    Think I got a bit overconfident after surviving the whole day, including a bit of a blizzard up on the Nangor road about 4pm.
    Thankfully a couple of cagers even got out to help me up, restoring my faith in humanity somewhat.

Dropped it on a round-about off Nangor road having dog tailed it for about 2 miles having survived a snowball barge from the local scobies (lucan new link road to n7) - truckie blocked the road to allow me pick it up - ended up walking the bike the next 500 metres home - busing it 2moro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive only biked once in the snow and vowed never again! Brave men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm a cager now myself after a series of bad accidents, but I'd be along the lines of faceman. I drove in it once and came off heading home, nearly slid into a wall.

Biking as a main method of transport is awesome but you'll want that to last as long as possible so cut the danger and get a lift/public transport if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Yup decided to forsake the bike for the bus this morning too.

I was late for work, and given how it is outside at the moment I'm gonna have to get up extra early to get a bus again tommorrow morning, but it's ridiculously icy/slippy on the roads.

Was watchin one or two bikers from the bus and was wondering how people got on. ..

I don't think I would have lasted five minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Went out on my "Oh-my-God-I-love-you-so-much" '07 Fireblade this morning but only left the house after 10:00 when the roads were just wet. Got to work no bother. At around 15:30 I started worrying about the weather so left at 16:00 and got home at about 16:45. Started snowing heavily after that and the roads were all white at around 17:00! I'm blessed I tellz ya! :D

Taking a cab tomorrow though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I headed home from Shankill to Blanch at about 10:20 tonight. Down the M50. Was bloody awesome. I was scared outta me whits (but giddy at the same time). Everything was grand till I got off the Blanch bypass, snow had melted and then frozen and there was no traction. I got stuck behind a cage doing 20kmp/h so I just put the feet down and slushed through the snow. My road itself was covered so I spun around for a bit actin the maggot, twas great fun.

In all seriousness though, I am well glad I got home safe. I saw a number of "parked" cars along the M50 and a few more in Blanch. Hope it keeps snowing so I can take the day off work tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I gave up on the bike at the first sign of cold weather. The road between home and work tend to be okay but on the first really frosty day the car park in work was a nightmare. I'm glad I did - I hit some slippy patch on the road last week and spun the car at 60mph. Wouldn't have liked to be on a bike for that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive just come into work on the bike. Got up early to see how bad it was outside before I made up my mind. The road outside wasnt bad at all. Took the bike in. Just a lot of surface water and remaining slush on the road in. Wasnt too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

in for 9 yesterday - pretty flippin hairy :o knew it was a bad idea when the back end was snaking just going up the ~5 degree incline that is my driveway. Thankfully no spills, and got in and out of work intact.

Got a lift in today... >.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Dropped mine on the way home last night. Left city center at 7pm and didn't get to Dunboyne til 8:45 - Longest commute time ever on the bike. Dropped it once but not too much damage. I put about a year's worth of wear on my boots though :o

Worst part was the Navan Rd dual carriageway. Snow on the 2 main lanes was compacted down and frozen solid - I didn't fancy driving on them because a lot of the cars were still travelling at 40-50mph and I wouldn't have been able to get out of the way quick enough if/when I did go down!! I had to stick to the hard shoulder where I felt like an ice-breaker ship in the arctic. Dropped it when I hit a few big 'bergs' that probably came off a truck's wheel arches.

Don't think the big heavy bike is an advantage in those conditions (V-Strom 650). I would have been much happier with my old GN125.

I'm going skiing for the first time on Friday so I was glad to get the practice in... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Drove in on my 07 r1 today. Thankfully when i left at 9.30 the roads had thawed out a lot.
    There are better designs though for ice skating...

Clontarf -> Leixlip last night from 6:30. Half worn Tourances on Strom not the best choice for the weather. Managed to stay upright for the trip but almost got stuck on incline where N4 passes over M50. Luckily road markings provided the extra traction needed there :-). Decided to park the bike overnight in Leixlip village instead of going up the Captain's Hill.

Talked to a fella on Varadero heading to Kinnegad. Apart from him and a scooter tailgating him not many bikes around.

No problems this morning apart from visibility problem due to heavy sleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Drove home last night on my Triumph Tiger which fortunately I didn't drop as could have been pretty awkward to get back up again.

Hadn't realised it was so bad, turned out from the work (underground) carpark at about six and drove a bit on an okay bit of raod. Then snow started whacking me in the face so put down the visor and, of course, snow does kinda stick to the front of visors so that threw a panicked second to get it back up again, and on I went, hardly able to see a thing and gradually realising this is scary as I then hit roads more significantly covered in snow....

Don't think I'd try driving it that again. Got home safe with no spills but took total concentration and probably a bit of luck in places. Never went above second gear I think. Just passed one other biker, exchanged sympathetic nods. Most car drivers were very good. Had one ****ing tit try to overtake me as I went over to the left in a lane at one point, following inside someone else's tyre track. But otherwise everyone took it easy and gave each other lots of room which was good.

So - on the bus today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I was very very lucky yest as i nearly came of a few times on the way in and then the way home, was going to leave the bike in work but it wasn't snowing when i left so i said i would bring the bike home, literally 5 mins into the journey a blizzard came out of nowhere and i could hardly see and trying to drive was a nightmare. One question when you are crawling around a corner in these conditions do you always get one d!ck of a cage driver driving up your ar$e and beeping???? Do they not know if you slip they wont be able to stop and prob run over you????Anyway decided to bus it today and maydo until it gets better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

- New front right indicator: £20.99
    - New brake lever: £15.18
    - Shipping total: £4.50

- Not getting run over by a truck: Priceless

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Haha, I only mentioned this a few weeks ago, but the first time I took the bike out in the snow, I slipped at the first corner and fell on my arse. Also happened to be the day I was doing my test and I failed. It was cos my nerves were shot, honest :). (I did pass the second time).

I learned after that to walk my bike out to the clear road instead of trying to drive it on snow-filled estate roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

My van decided to break down yesterday, I managed to swing a lift with a guy from work. I normally use the bike when it breaks down (which happens a lot) but I wasn't taking it out in that especially because. I have to be in work for 7. Getting a new van tomorrow, hate missing motocrossing because that other piece of **** doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Yesterday morning was bad especially as I live at the bottom of the mountains. I just went in very slowly down the middle of the road trying to brake as little as possible. One road had to put the feet down and they nearly went from under me. I avoided my little short cuts and kept to the main roads. Once I got to Rathgar the roads were fine.
    I abandoned my school run in the car yesterday morning- really hard word with lots of wheelspin on black ice.

This morning was fine once I got out of my estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

faceman wrote: »
    Ive only biked once in the snow and vowed never again! Brave men!

Shakespeare, in Henry IV, Part One, 1596:

Falstaff: 'The better part of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my life.'

Live to ride another day - a_ominous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Think my bike is going to be stuck here at work for quite awhile... I made it in yesterday at around 7:00 in the morning and there was no snow almost... Didn't dare try the trip home though and it's going to be the Luas both ways today :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

spoke way too soon.... :( I went down outside the funeral home today in harolds cross. was tootling along at around 20 -30kph driving on the straight... next thing i know, the front feels like its folding under the rear and i go down.
    I was trying to get home before it started snowing. unfortunately for me it started snowing when i was half way home :(
    Luckily im ok. The bike will need new indicators, rearsets, mirror and probably the plastic. too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Came off once on my NSR 125, around Clontarf castle.....back wheel hit ice near to the kerb, never saw it.

Just missed a bus coming up from the seafront, another 30 secs and i'd have gone under.

Have been getting the train, and will be all week. up at 5.40am though which is a pisser.

Seeing as everyone else is saying.... dont wanna drop my GSXR K8 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Bus-ed it today. stuck sitting in front of 2 blabber mouths (fake american irish accents) :rolleyes:talking about their i-puds and playing there phone music aloud. 2 hr journey home - when takes 25 mins on the bike. Looking out the window it's bucketing down:o - but am getting tempted to bike it in tommorrow (vhi plan b :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Got into work grand this morning ... The way home was a nightmare ... didnt think the roads would be as bad. Took me nearly 45 mins to do a less than 15 min journey. Glad I got home in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Came off a Triumph Tiger Cub on black ice in the 80ies, learned my lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

seamus wrote: »
    Haha, I only mentioned this a few weeks ago, but the first time I took the bike out in the snow, I slipped at the first corner and fell on my arse. Also happened to be the day I was doing my test and I failed. It was cos my nerves were shot, honest :). (I did pass the second time).

I learned after that to walk my bike out to the clear road instead of trying to drive it on snow-filled estate roads.

My first snow experience mirrors yours!

Advertisement