Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which petrol lasts the longest??

Options
  • 02-02-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Ive just started an experiment today to find which petrol lasts the longest specifically, in my own car. From my current experience, i know that tesco petrol doesnt seem to last long but maxol petrol seems to be quite good.

Im just wondering which petrol other people find to be quite good??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Hubby filled up with Tesco petrol once and swore never again, I thought he was loosing the plot until I read this.
    He, coincidely, also thinks that Maxol is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Ironically enough, i was in tesco one time and there was a statoil truck delivering petrol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There's very few different fuels in Ireland, Tesco and Topaz (ex Shell, Statoil) are the very same fuel, I think Texaco and Maxol might be different. Best recommendation is to always buy from a station with a big turnaround of fuel so your not buying stuff which has been sitting in the tanks for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brentmeister

i've always found texaco the best for me (ford focus) theres a really cheap place in gort, i think emo is the petrol they use, and it didnt last as long for me. so texaco works out cheaper. i find the texaco station in ballinindine really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The petrol is the same but the additives are different, i believe that there are little or no additives in the tesco petrol.

the additives clean and protect the engine and give better or more mpg.

imo the texaco additives are the best at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    There's very few different fuels in Ireland, Tesco and Topaz (ex Shell, Statoil) are the very same fuel, I think Texaco and Maxol might be different. Best recommendation is to always buy from a station with a big turnaround of fuel so your not buying stuff which has been sitting in the tanks for months.
    i really dont think Topaz and Tesco are the same, Tesco is supposed to be the worse "quality" shall we say. More sulphur i think.. As a rule You know its bad if it smells like eggs.. i'm not saying you should go around to all the cars on the forecourt sniffing in their tanks.. But..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the texaco on clonkeen road (near cabinteely), is the busiest petrol station I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

All petrol arrives into the depots in Alexandria Road on the same tanker. Its the same stuff that's then piped to the storage tanks of the various companies.
    This is then distributed countrywide.

So basically, it does not matter where you fill up, the only thing to look out for is price

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

if its the fact that all petrol is the same then its the fact but i have my favorites, i drive a 00 accent and for me applegreen and tesco petrol is the most efficient, topaz i could take or leave but texaco and esso is no use, but thats just me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I find Tesco diesel rubbish, I get at least 100 miles more out of a tank of Maxol/Topaz etc

Maxol seems to last longest for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Topaz for me - I'll never waste my money on Excol again, about 50 miles less out of a tank. Texaco would be on par with Topaz, I think the car is a bit livelier with topaz though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

This is then distributed countrywide.

You might be wrong there. AFAIK there is a refinery in White gate in Cork that refines crude oil into petrol, diesel and whatever.

Advertisement