Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

blessington ?

• 02-02-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

was thinkin of making a trip up to blessington on the weekend to do a bit of pike fishing and was just wondering is it worth my while. what im really asking is hows the stocks up there because iv been hearing alot bout the FN'S taken the fish and will it be frozen

any advice muchly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'll let this thread run, but please make sure it stays on the topic of Blessington & doesnt get into any race issues or I'll kill it.

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There are pike to be caught, good ones. The stocks are reduced in some areas, so location is important as it always was up there.

Sure, it's been hammered.
    But it's beside the city so it's always been hammered, by someone or other.
    Newbies seem to kill pike no matter where they are from. Pike removal is a bit more prevalent at the moment by a relative few organised groups, but it's not that long ago since the (Irish) trout clubs there organised pike competitions for the purpose of killing pike reducing pike stocks. So anyone who points the finger has a very short memory.

As I can judge the fishing is about the same standard it was between the years 1980-1990.
    The pike fishing then improved and was better between 1990 and 2002, IMHO, due to better pike protection and a growing roach population.
    In the last 4 years the roach seem to have peaked, and pike removal has increased again.
    Pike fishing has reduced somewhat as a result, but mainly in certain areas that get more attention, not all over.

The pike fishing quality in Blessington has always been more to do with wet springtime water levels and good pike spawning conditions, 5-6 years ago, and strong year classes in the pike population, than it has to do with who has been killing what recently.

Let me explain what I mean by that. Research on Poulaphouca has shown that given plenty of water during March-May period, the pike make good their losses very quickly. And it takes about 5 - 6 years later before anglers notice that bigger fish are getting caught more often. The pike population there is quite cyclical.

Advertisement