Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EarDoctor

• 02-02-2009 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm hoping to go on a diving holiday this summer, and would like to get my ears checked out, as its been a while and I've had equalization problems before . Does anyone know of a good diving doctor ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

if you're talking about the initial PADI Open Water medical, Dr. Michelle Egan in the Park Clinic Cabinteely D18 is very good. It should cost you around €70 excluding any extra tests that she may feel necessary. There is a standard PADI form for the Doctor to fill out and sign. It basically states that it is the Doctor's opinion that you are fit to dive. If you have history of a condition which may be a contradiction to diving, bring any written evidence of this if possible, or your regular GP's no.(Thats if you have a regular GP ;)). Hope this has been of help.
    Any more Q's, don't hesitate etc....... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

i dont know your situation but this is a possibility.
    if your trying to keep up with a buddy and not hold them up,you get ear trouble?
    this happens,
    you mightened have a problem just need to talk to your buddy ,explain you want to make a slow decent,and go at your own pace.
    ive had ear trouble , and find the key is to relax,and take your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Thanks Guys - Ive already done a few PADI courses , so it was just a check up really. I think you're right Mint Man, taking your time is important , as is developing the right technique. Would you have any suggestions on exercises that can be done in preparation ?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Couple of drops of warm olive oil in the morning before leaving home.

On the surface pop your ears once before descent commences.

Too often I have seen divers who believe they have a hard time clearing when it is bad technique in descending the first 5m.
    If they have to fin down they usually are too deep before trying an unsuccessful attempt at clearing.

Better to be weighted CORRECTLY and descend feet first by dumping all air and exhaling as you pull yourself under.

Sorry if I sound preachy here, and I am not assuming this applies to you, but it surely DOES apply to a load of divers who blame their ears wrongly.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

other than what seadeauce
    my suggestions would be.
    have all your gear properly prepared ,this would be so your not in a rush on the boat.
    and when in the water before descent ,reg in ,face in water , so too relax and and gain your composure .
    might sound silly,but this actually helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement