Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need alternative email provider asap!!!

Options
  • 02-02-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Lycos.co.uk have been my email provide for ages (6+years or so )
    and i thought they were great because of lack of junk and spam.
    now i get this message when I log in!

"Suspension of portal business on 15th February 2009

Dear user,
    As you may have read in the press and heard from other sources, we will suspend our portal activities on the 15th February 2009. Our management is currently discussing whether it might be possible to offer selected services after the 15th February 2009. Unfortunately, a decision has not yet been made on this subject. We will of course keep you informed about any developments.
    What does this mean for you?
    At the moment this means, that as of the 16th February 2009, you are no longer able to access the content areas as e.g. sections like “topics”, “highlights” and “stock market”. Unfortunately, our portal services such as “Quizduell”, “Fotomania”, “Forum” etc. will no longer be available as of the 16th February 2009 also.
    Information about the products mail, chat, date etc. can be found on the products pages itself.
    Please make sure today that you can use a portal service in future. We recommend, therefore, that you choose a new portal provider very soon and register with the new service at your earliest convenience."

What i need is this:
    an email provider that i can send my existing emails from lycos to a.n,other.
    I have a hotmail,yahoo and gmail account but which one is the easiest to transfer from/to?
    I think it has something to do with POP3?
    not sure!
    any help much appreciated!
    thanks
    john

PS apologies if in wrong section

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

www.gmail.com is recommended by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe even the free email you get from your own ISP. Usually pop3 and Web access.

watty wrote: »
    Maybe even the free email you get from your own ISP. Usually pop3 and Web access.
    I don't like this because it takes away the ability to change ISP without hassle. I reckon it's better to keep your email independant.

My personal choice is my own domain name and hosting but that's obviously not a free solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have domains and hosted virtual mail servers on them. Also though often you can keep using old email address when you change ISP. Well I have been for over 3 years :)

I also have 2 x email address of mobiles. Most Mobile operators give email account too.

Which email I use depends on who I talk to. No problem in Thunderbird.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Go with gmail, give the best options such as IMAP and POP3 for free and has a nice interface to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Gmail +1

Great SPAM filters, and you can use it to pick up email from any other POP3 account and route that email through Gmails spam filter...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Random wrote: »
    I don't like this because it takes away the ability to change ISP without hassle. I reckon it's better to keep your email independant.

You can usually bring your address to the new provider all that is necessary is to change the SMTP settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

dub45 wrote: »
    You can usually bring your address to the new provider all that is necessary is to change the SMTP settings.

That will only work if you own the domain.

If you have a joe.schmoe@isp.com address and you move to @newisp.com sure you can still send mail as joe.schmoe@isp.com (accessible SMTP and/or SPF willing) but that's not much use to you if isp.com stops taking mail for that email address.

Gmail.com or Google for applications if you want your own domain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

That will only work if you own the domain.

If you have a joe.schmoe@isp.com address and you move to @newisp.com sure you can still send mail as joe.schmoe@isp.com (accessible SMTP and/or SPF willing) but that's not much use to you if isp.com stops taking mail for that email address.

Gmail.com or Google for applications if you want your own domain.

Yes but afaik isps will generally continue to take email for the old address. A friend of mine has been with UTV for years but still uses an Eircom address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you own your own domain name then use Google Apps Standard Edition. It's easy to setup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yahoo will extract lycos email by pop3 into your yahoo mail no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I wouldn't go near yahoo,very annoying user interface and you can't set up pop3 mail boxes like gmail,Also yahoo seems very slow receiving emails that go to other emails instantly when resent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dub45 wrote: »
    but still uses an Eircom address.

That might change in the future. It seems eircom is pushing users using other ISPs on their mailserver to use their webinterface only. No more POP3 access. At least in the last few weeks, I've come across that kindda problems more and more.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have a gmail account but still occasionally use my eircom account that I've had for years. gmail do pop3 retrieval so i use that to collect my eircom mail every 5 minutes (with a filter to tag it so i know it's not gmail mail) and then i have pop3 access FOR my gmail too to download it all to my mail client on my PC. i get to keep my old eircom mail, but I also get to use gmail's spam filters on it which reduces the amount of spam i get into my eircom mail by 99% and any email borne virus's by 100% so far.

so to recap without the waffle, +1 for gmail too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

Gmail Privacy Notice: "Google's computers process the information in your messages for [...] delivering advertisements and related links ..."

No, thanks.
    -1 Gmail

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

MFZ wrote: »
    Gmail Privacy Notice: "Google's computers process the information in your messages for [...] delivering advertisements and related links ..."

No, thanks.
    -1 Gmail
    That is correct for the free version.

If you are using Apps Premier, which is the version businesses are going to want to use, it is not correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Random wrote: »

My personal choice is my own domain name and hosting but that's obviously not a free solution.

u run your own email server?

towel401 wrote: »
    u run your own email server?
    I bought some hosting from one company and my domain from another. I linked them up and use them for my email.

Advertisement